mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Too many options

So I am currently waiting on my LBS to build up my new Titus FTM and while I wait I have been out beating around on an XCL! I was told before I left with it that the XCL was a bike that wouldn't play nice unless I got nasty with it and I must say, after 4 rides on the thing I am really impressed for such a heavy bike and to a large degree I disagree with the "need to play rough with it" comment.

I think the bike climbs really well, especially for a bike that weighs in at 31lbs with its current build. I also had no problems getting this bike where I wanted to go exactly when I wanted it to and it never really felt as heavy as it is. So the bike has got me wondering, do you think the new VF2 would be just an all around improvement over the XCL and if so would it be a good head-to-head competitor for the Titus FTM? They look to have the same geometry and pretty close to the same suspension design.

I only ask these questions because I have been pleasantly surprised the XCL and would even consider owning one but everyone keeps eluding to the VF2 as an all-around improvement and if it is I think I owe it to myself to ride one before I go home with the FTM for good!

mtbr member
    So the shop lent you an XCL to ride while waiting to get your other bike built up? Wow..that's service!

I've spent time on both bikes, and I would call the VF2 a lighter, more refined XCL. The geometry is identical I believe. You get the benefit of lighter weight frame. I'm led to believe the carbon rear end helps dampen some trail vibration as well. If you're into taking gap jumps and such, the XCL is probably better suited, but for normal to slightly aggressive XC type riding, I think the VF2 is a good fit.

I've never been on a FTM, but it certainly seems to be a direct competitor with the VF2.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Ya it's nice of the shop but my previous shop was the same way too. It has just become something to be expected when you're spending that much money with them, besides customer service like that is how you earn the trust and business of a customer for life!

I am really getting more and more interested/lured by the VF2, my FTM is here already but it hasn't hit the work stand yet. I rode the XCL again today and I just really like the bike and I think I would like the VF2 even more!

wuss
    I have had a XCL since last fall, and tested a Titus Motolite in January. I felt right at home on the Motolite... The rear suspension was very similar to the XCL, and despite being about 1 pound lighter then my XCL (28 vs 29lb's) I did not feel a difference in that regard.

I think the rear end in the XCL feels a bit stiffer then the Motolite, but the motolite I tested had a very nice wheelset which was stiffer then mine, so the difference was not that big.

Both are great bikes. I would love a VF2, and having had great service from Chumba I would not consider the Titus. On the other hand I would imagine either will serve you well. Don't know how different the FTM would be to the Motolite though...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Well we built the FTM up and I will take it on its maiden voyage Monday. I am going to ride it hard for 3 months or so and if I then feel that I need more bike I will build up the Endorphine. So I will keep you guys updated and the Knolly on the wall for now!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TejasMTB
    Well we built the FTM up and I will take it on its maiden voyage Monday. I am going to ride it hard for 3 months or so and if I then feel that I need more bike I will build up the Endorphine. So I will keep you guys updated and the Knolly on the wall for now!

Keep us posted! Personally, I think they are all good bikes and you won't be making a bad choice with any of them!