Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Tomac Bikes!

ride

Tomac Bikes!

I'm surprised there hasn't been more recent discussion of Tomac Bikes. Granted, they've had a storied past given the ABG ownership, but Joel Smith and Co, the new owners, are 100% committed to the brand. We recently picked up Tomac. I've been impressed with every aspect of the operation. The frames are sweet - well made with good attention to detail. Joel, Clarke, and Carrie at Tomac have been great to deal with as well.

We just got this Tomac Carbide SL built up. I was pretty stoked to see how well it came together. I was kinda jealous of Chris when he pedaled away on it .

Any other new school Tomacs out there? Let's see 'em!

Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I just started looking into Tomac again. I remember their 98 special was such a nice bike back in 02'. Is the Carbide the only bike you have received from them so far? I am thinking of contacting them to become a dealer if you've had good experience with them so far.

ride
    Hey Mt Dora. I've got a lot of faith in new Tomac. So far, we've got in a couple of Snyper 140s and a Carbide SL. Joel and Clarke are great to deal with and they've taken care of everything I've needed. Great crew. The bikes are top notch, too. Looks like they've got their QC dialed in completely so far. I wish my Snyper 140 demo was a large instead of a medium. Then I could go beat on it
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Love my 2008 Carbide XC1. Bought it as a complete bike, but put some Ergon's and Conti Race King 2.2 SS's on it and it flies. The deal fell through on the local shop I was going to buy it from, and Joel and Co. were very accommodating and are second to none in customer service.

The bike was flawless out of the box, lightweight, tracks great, doesn't feel fragile, which I kind of expected (It's my first carbon bike). The only time I use pro-pedal on the rp23 is riding to the trailhead, otherwise I don't need it. I did flip the shock to get a little more clearance for the water bottle.

Writing these bikes off because of the ABG years would be a mistake. QC on my bike was perfect.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I just picked up an old school Tomac Revolver for a stupid low price...but can't find any specs or geometry anywhere...trying to build it and wouldnt mind knowing a little bit about it...any help would be appreciated

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiner
    I just picked up an old school Tomac Revolver for a stupid low price...but can't find any specs or geometry anywhere...trying to build it and wouldnt mind knowing a little bit about it...any help would be appreciated
    I've got some old catalogs at home, what size do you have?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    its a ML...which I believe they had medium, ml, and large...its red anno finish, so i think that makes it the comp, im guessing 03-05 from what i can find...

mtbr member
    The red ano was from 05 I believe, here's the geometry on that one:

M/L

TT = 24"
    Head Tube Angle = 70
    Seat Tube Angle = 72
    Chainstay Length = 16.76"
    BB Drop = .75"
    Wheelbase = 42.52"
    Fork Rake = 1.5"
    Standover = 28.3"
    Head Tube Length = 4.75"
    Frame Weight = 5.49lbs

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    awesome...i appreciate it..

mtbr member
    i would give my left testical for a first generation buckshot hardtail frame with a 24" or longer top tube in good condition with good paint.
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by drag_slick
    The deal fell through on the local shop I was going to buy it from, and Joel and Co. were very accommodating and are second to none in customer service.
    So you bought it direct from Tomac? I don't want to be a dealer for them if they are doing that.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mount Dora Cycles
    So you bought it direct from Tomac? I don't want to be a dealer for them if they are doing that.
    They need sales somehow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    i dont have one but i got to meet the man in the mid 90's. he was born and raised in my home town of Owosso, MI he is the reason i started riding bikes everyday. the local bike shop, House of Wheels, has a signed jerzey he wore.

ride
    Tomac will sell direct if there are no area dealers. They refer customers to dealers in their local area if they have them. Joel has been in the biz quite a bit and knows what he's doing. Much unlike ABG, it seems so far.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    This is correct. We were trying to go through a local shop first, but it didn't work out, so I got it direct. They are not in the business to compete with the local dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    Tomac will sell direct if there are no area dealers. They refer customers to dealers in their local area if they have them. Joel has been in the biz quite a bit and knows what he's doing. Much unlike ABG, it seems so far.

mtbr member
    Old Tomac Eli 2006, if you don't mind
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HotzKiss; 06-28-2009 at 07:49 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    My Carbide XC....enjoying it too much to put into words!

Edwin
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Well, sent Joel my info today. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I will be a dealer and get a Carbide XC1 in for demo. It will be interesting to see how much interest I can get for the bike in Florida.

Drag Slick: Any problems you've encountered so far? creaking frame? anything you've added to improve the feel of it? Thanks for any feedback.

mtbr member
    Well, sent Joel my info today. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I will be a dealer and get a Carbide XC1 in for demo. It will be interesting to see how much interest I can get for the bike in Florida.

Drag Slick: Any problems you've encountered so far? creaking frame? anything you've added to improve the feel of it? Thanks for any feedback.
    I've only got 220 miles on it so far, we've had a crazy wet spring, hasn't allowed me on the trails as much as I want, but here's my observations.

Frame is quiet, no noise whatsoever from the pivots, had a slight creak from the handlebar area, re-torqued the mounting bolts for the handlebar, took care of the problem.

For the life of me, I was dropping the water bottle more when riding while trying to stuff it back in the cage. Joel suggested flipping the rp23 so the propedal lever was up to gain some additional clearance, and that solved my problem. The lever is still easily accessible when riding, the propedal setting knob is slightly harder to adjust, but I set it at 1 and have left it there. The only time I even flip propedal on is riding on pavement to the trailhead.

I put Ergon grips on, my wrists like them, have no trouble with slipping on the Monkeylite carbon bar.

The Nevegals that it came with were nice, swapped them out for some Conti Race King SS 2.2's, which is more of a fit for the trails around here. There's plenty of clearance in the chainstay for those tires.

Only thing I'm considering swapping out now are the Ringle skewers it came with. They always seem to be slipping on me.

Other than these minor things, the bike has been absolutely perfect.

ride
    I just built up a Snyper 140 for myself. So far, I've got just a few rides in Crested Butte and a couple of local rides. I'm completely impressed. Pics and a prelim review up soon.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    400 miles on the Carbide now, slight creaking from the BB area. Cleaned and greased the main pivot bolt, problem solved. It's dead silent again.

I've beat all my best times on the local loops this summer. Not sure if it's new bike syndrome or what, but I sure am fast on this thing

ride

my Snyper

I sold my Tracer VP and built up a Snyper 140 a little while ago. I really like it. It's funny. The Tracer VP was uber sweet. Great bike, US production and pretty much a full XTR build was about all I could ask for. I built the Tomac up with X9 bits, inexpensive FSA crank, bar, and stem - generally a much, much cheaper bike than the Tracer. With the same fork, Gravity Dropper, and wheels that were on the Intense, this Snyper is within .1 lbs of the Intense. And it would retail for $1500-$2000 less, too. Nice!

Performance of the Snyper has been top notch. It's super stable, predictable, and really seems to reward a rider with an aggressive riding position and riding style. I put a review up in the reviews section on mtbr here, but I will post a thouroughly detailed review on this thread after a few more 9 hour thrash sessions.

This bike is available for demo and I've got a medium built up, too. And Joel Smith and co have been a pleasure to deal with
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have a customer looking into this bike so thank you for the review.

ride

Tomac 2010

The new 2010 Tomacs look great. Here's some photos Joel Smith took of the new line in Colorado...

the 2010 Tomac Snyper 140, $1400msrp frame

A new bike for Tomac, the 2010 Tomac Vanish, 160mm travel, $1600msrp frame

Another new one, the 2010 Flint 29er. $500msrp frame - der hanger, full cable routing, and eccentric bb for running SS or gears

The Automatic gets bumped up to 120mm of travel, $1200msrp

Clark from Tomac stopped in here at Redstone other day to show off some 2010 Tomac Bikes goodies.

So far, I'm pretty impressed with the 2010 lineup. All they have right now is some pre production prototypes so I didn't take super detailed shots of everything as a few things are changing. I did snap a photo of the new Snyper and of the new Instant Active Suspension (IAS) link, though.

Here's the new Snyper. It's got the same geometry and angles of the current Snyper (yay) but some small tweaks have been made to the front and rear triangle. The front triangle changes to a traditional diamond frame for more water bottle room and a traditional front der mount. The rear triangle loses the carbon flex stay and adds a verticle brace on either side.

Also added is the new IAS link between the rear triangle and the swing link.

The IAS link yields better small bump absorption than the previous carbon flexstay. A quickie ride on the new Snyper felt like the old Snyper, but a bit more buttery. Good call on the IAS guys. Can't wait to see the production models! If you look closely in this last photo, you can see a seatstay bridge has been cut out. Original designs had the bridge but no vertical braces. The addition of the verticle braces yeilded way more stiffness which allowed Tomac to remove the bridge for added tire clearance.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Y no grease?ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
    Not available til Jan 1st. Ugh I can't take it

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast