Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Titus/On One/Planet X warranties

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  cjsb 
#1 ·
I recently got a Titus El Guapo 29er frame in and the rear end doesn't measure 142mm, it's closer to 135-136mm. Plus the maxxle that came with it doesn't screw in enough to engage the quick release. It just flops around. I've called them up and sent pictures of everything for proof. Apparently they are in the midst of an office move and the land lines are down. This jives with the info on the website. Luckily I had the cell # of the guy I talked to last week to send pics to. He says he will put me in touch with the warranty manager.

Anybody have any recent experience with their warranty department? Good or bad? Is rear end wonkyness a common thing or is this an isolated case?

#2 ·
Sorry to hear about your frame. I think your experience is in line with the Titus of today.

I am going to sound like a jerk but I don't think anyone should buy a current Titus model.

#4 ·
Sorry to hear about your frame. I think your experience is in line with the Titus of today.

I am going to sound like a jerk but I don't think anyone should buy a current Titus model.
Vespasianus - everybody is definitely entitled to their opinion - just hoping that once the new range of bikes come out (new prototypes are being ridden right now), you give the new range a look - some pretty sweet new bikes that were designed from the ground up, and so far, first ride feedback has been pretty positive - small changes still to do.

#3 ·
I recently got a Titus El Guapo 29er frame in and the rear end doesn't measure 142mm, it's closer to 135-136mm. Plus the maxxle that came with it doesn't screw in enough to engage the quick release. It just flops around. I've called them up and sent pictures of everything for proof. Apparently they are in the midst of an office move and the land lines are down. This jives with the info on the website. Luckily I had the cell # of the guy I talked to last week to send pics to. He says he will put me in touch with the warranty manager.

Anybody have any recent experience with their warranty department? Good or bad? Is rear end wonkyness a common thing or is this an isolated case?
MrMentallo - please forward me your images and info and I will see what I can do about getting you sorted out right away as, as you say, Vince is buried with moving the offices.
You can reach me on - michael@planet-x-usa.com

#7 ·
I've been in touch with Michael and he is the Titus/Tomac brand manager. Things are in motion to get the problem fixed after he gave me a few last minute things to try before we start shipping parts. Quick personable service, exactly how it should be. So far the crap customer service and quality that Vespasianus spoke of is unfounded. Yeah, I would have liked a perfect frame out of the box, but this is the real world where **** happens. Luckily this is being handled properly and I will be on trails again soon.

Jameswr, what ended up happening to your bike? I had a friend here in Austin who cracked his El Guapo 26 frame earlier this year (or late last year, I don't remember) and they ended up sending him a shop bike they had as his frame was no longer being manufactured. It was in perfect working order with new bearings and all, but was dinged up a bit appearance wise. He ended up getting the paint stripped and going with a raw finish. It was the same paint job you have in your other thread with the orange with grey highlights. That bike (and the good customer service) was the beginning of me looking into the El Guapo 29. I finally made the decision after finding one local that the owner would let me ride to test it out. Plus the 50% off sale with a good shock made it a no brainer.

#10 ·
My waranty issues were handled quickly. I just took the bike out on a shakedown ride and it handles better than the 26" El Guapo I have lots of experience on. Climbs better and corners about the same with all the benefits of larger wheels. IMO, best deal on the market right now. Thanks Michael!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.