Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Ride da mOOn Moderator

Idea! Thee Official Soma Thread

Post up you Soma...

...maybe it will get "Sticky"

Ride da mOOn Moderator

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    My recent (last year) build with a mix of retro and modern budget components.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thee Official Soma Thread-img_1782-1024x767-.jpg  

Thee Official Soma Thread-img_1780-1024x671-.jpg  

mtbr member
    nice! how long is that stem? I was going through my parts bin and found a 120mm stem from the late 90s and I thought how funny it would look on my bike now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    150mm Specialized Ti from back in the day. It was mounted on an aluminum Ellison(Texas). I still use 150mm on my MTB's.

mtbr member
    That looks like the 21"... is the ETT really as short as Soma's geo chart claims? 606mm or some such. It seems so short...

Quote Originally Posted by skoda View Post
    My recent (last year) build with a mix of retro and modern budget components.
    WTB: Specialized AWOL frameset, XL

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Greetings Seatboy;
    The ETT length on my 21" is 23 1/2inch, long enough for me with the 150mm stem.
    I would not hesitate getting any Soma, the overall quality of the frame construction and paint is some of the best I've seen, and I have been riding and repairing bicycles for 40 years.
    Regards
    Last edited by skoda; 05-27-2012 at 03:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Here's my new Juice:

That's the new XL size, and I'm pretty happy with the fit after my first shake down ride. I'm happy there are still companies making rim brake frames these days.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Greetings Seat_Boy;
    Soma makes some very nice bikes for quite reasonable prices, and yours looks GREAT. Love the color!!! Congratulations on your purchase. How does it ride? Take care of it and it will last a long time; 'Steel is Real'. Good luck Seat_Boy.
    Regards
    Carl in Ocala

mtbr member
    Thanks for the nice words. Rides well so far, but I've only got one lap of my local trail down. I didn't like the green in pictures, but I like it lot better in real life. Quick handling, and no issues from the sliding dropouts so far. I'm not regretting selling my full sus Spearfish to get this... yet!

mtbr member
    I just purchased a Juice frame and will be building it up soon into a SS. Any advice or anything to look out for?

Planning to toss on a Reba RL, Stan's Arch EX and Shimano SLX brakes.

Jeff

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Heres my Groove with S&S couplers.

2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Soma Juice built this past May...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thee Official Soma Thread-imag0008.jpg  

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

bkirby10:

That's a nice set up what for gearing are you running? The blue ano parts set it off...

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    Heres my Groove with S&S couplers.
    That's an amazing looking bike, the couplers are hardly noticeable, not that that matters. May I ask why you did couplers, do you transport a lot?

TIA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    bkirby10:

That's a nice set up what for gearing are you running? The blue ano parts set it off...
    This photo was set up as 32x20, but have Surly cogs of 22t, 20t, 19t, and 17t in the bin for different trails. Waiting on a blue HBC 21t cog and a blue spiderless ring, but I doubt I will see if before xmas. As parts wear out, will be adding more blue ano pieces in the future...

mtbr member
    Here's my Double Cross DC in full monstercross mode:

Normally its got a 130mm Thomson -10 deg drop stem on it with 700x28 slicks on it for commuting and road riding. Pics above show it with a 120mm Thomson +10 stem and 700x42 Wormdrives for gravel road/light trail riding.

62cm Frame with a 410mm post most of the way out. Was on the fence between the 62cm DC and the 66cm Smoothie ES and the disc brakes and dirt capability won out.

mtbr member
    My new 18" SS Juice:

First ride was today and it rode great. Very nice for the price.

Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thee Official Soma Thread-juice.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Greetings Chaps;
    Let's try and keep this Official Soma thread active. I'm still enamored with my Groove, and from what I've seen; everyone who has a Soma is as well. Soma frames are reasonably priced,and extremely well built and finished. I'm trying to keep my Groove somewhat retro looking with some vintage components I've purchased over many years, including : Shimano XT M-730 rear mech., Shimano XTR M-900 crankset, SunTour XC Pro pedals, SunTour XC Pro thumb shifters, Specialized 6al4v Ti. 150mm stem, Litespeed Ti bars, American Classic Ti seatpin, Onza bar ends.
    Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thee Official Soma Thread-007-1024x756-.jpg  

Thee Official Soma Thread-009-1024x757-.jpg  

Thee Official Soma Thread-005-1024x752-.jpg  

Thee Official Soma Thread-004-1024x762-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I just picked up a 2013 Felt Nine 60 but it's too small....I have upgraded every component on it except the seatpost and now am going to be swapping out frames for a Soma Juice...Trying to decide between the L and XL. I'm a hair over 6'2" with a 31-32 inseam and long torso and arms.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Anyone have a link to Soma Juice specs? Their website won't load with them. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Just got myself a Soma Double Cross, as a commuter, light tourer, road bike and a cross bike. Will post some pics at a later date, doing the build this weekend. Specs as follows:

-Frame 58cm Double Cross - and fork
    -Headset Chris King
    -100mm 10' rise EA90 Stem
    -EA70 - drop bars
    -Ultegra Drive train
    -Crankset FC - 6703 (52/39/30) and FD 6703
    -RD 6700 and 11 - 28 cassette
    -105 5703 STI levers
    -Thomson Elite 27.2 seat post silver
    -Brooks Swift saddle Honey
    -Brooks Bar tape honey
    -Brakes Shimano CX70 Cantis with Kool stop salmon pads

Road wheels:
    Chris King R45 hubs, DT Swiss RR585 rims DT Aerolite spokes 20 hole front 24 rear Conti GP4000s
    Building up a second wheel set for commuting / touring
    Chris King Classic Cyclocross hubs 28 32 drilling, not decided on rims yet.
    Picked up pretty much all of it over the last few months either second hand or in clearance deals - got 50% off the CK gear / rims / spokes in a closing down sale and paid $150 for the crank from CRC, $100 brand new for the brifters from a mate. not including the 2nd as yet un built wheelset I reckon I've spent well under $2K (yet to do the math)

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Geetings ddublu;
    With your long upper torso and inseam I suspect you will be better served with the XL frame with its longer top tube. Soma's are great, solid and well finished, with a realistic price range. Good luck with your build, expect to see completed photo's!
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by skoda View Post
    Geetings ddublu;
    With your long upper torso and inseam I suspect you will be better served with the XL frame with its longer top tube. Soma's are great, solid and well finished, with a realistic price range. Good luck with your build, expect to see completed photo's!
    Cheers
    I ended up going with the XXL (22") and it's perfect. You asked for pics....you got 'em.

★★★★ My 2012 Soma Juice build ★★★★

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Greetings Again ddublu;
    Congratulations; Great looking Soma build with an excellent component choice. Thanks for the photo's, now I'm envious!!! Seriously you have without doubt an A #1
    bike. Merry Christmas
    Regards

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast