Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    iphilrive
    Quote Originally Posted by emat View Post
    I've ordered a 54. Should be here in a week or so, then it's off to the powder coaters straight away.
    The orange is so sweet though!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by iphilrive View Post
    The orange is so sweet though!
    Orange is amazing, on other people's bikes.

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by emat View Post
    I've ordered a 54. Should be here in a week or so, then it's off to the powder coaters straight away.
    How does the 54 fit? I'm on a 52 AllCity NB (550 tt), and wondering which size Wolverine I would be. I'm leaning towards the 52, but worried about toe overlap. How's yours fir? Any pics? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Still waiting for this frame to arrive. The 54 is hard to come by right now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Afol View Post
    I'm thinking of a Wolverine with Alfine 8.

Would the Alfine 8 cranksets fit?
    I just found out...it fits ... barely

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    soma analog
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thee Official Soma Thread-g0040200.jpg  

Last edited by diegomesa35; 09-24-2014 at 09:35 AM.

A God Without A Name
    I am loving my Soma Wolverine, worlds different from the Straggler.

mtbr member
    I was deciding to buy the Wolverine or the Strangler. Got the Wolverine because of the rear drop outs and local availability.

Care to elaborate on the differences between the 2?

mtbr member
    My Wolverine build version one

Thee Official Soma Thread-image.jpg

Current configuration

Thee Official Soma Thread-image.jpg

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	133.8 KB 
ID:	926040

Current configuration

Views:	146 
Size:	174.2 KB 
ID:	926041
    What size is that? How tall are you? I'm 5'9" and torn between the 52 & 54. On a 52 nature boy now.

iphilrive
    Quote Originally Posted by RPG View Post
    What size is that? How tall are you? I'm 5'9" and torn between the 52 & 54. On a 52 nature boy now.
    I ride a 56 and I ordered a 54 so I hope that fits!

iphilrive

Views:	226 
Size:	133.8 KB 
ID:	926040

Current configuration

Views:	146 
Size:	174.2 KB 
ID:	926041

You have a Jones?! You don't need any other bike! Jeff Jones is a mastermind!

mtbr member
    That is a Size 50. I'm 173cm about 5'6" I think

mtbr member
    Yup I have a Jones and its great. Got the Soma because I have a set of Alfine collecting dust so might as well build it up.

mtbr member
    Any Double Cross Disc owners can help me out? What's the current 2014 DCD front derailleur clamp size?

A God Without A Name
    being that it has never ever changed in the history of ever for virtually everything Soma has ever made, I'm gonna say 28.6 is a super safe bet.

Also, they list these things on the product pages of the manufacturers website. Soma has the info under FAQs.

Double Cross Disc | SOMA Fabrications

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. I can't find any campy front D that fits. Looks like only Shimano ...

A God Without A Name
    Or you could spend a few dollars on a shim.

I got nothin'
    Does anyone have a real world comparison between the new Wolverine and the Salsa Vaya? Any experience in riding both bikes and might want to share their observations?
    I ride at ludicrous speed

A God Without A Name
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrogeek View Post
    Does anyone have a real world comparison between the new Wolverine and the Salsa Vaya? Any experience in riding both bikes and might want to share their observations?
    I was hoping someone with more experience than me would respond. Apparently that won't be happening. So I guess I am as good as you'll get.

In my 15 minutes riding the Vaya I was able to see that it rode like cheap 4130. Which honestly isn't bad. but it's nothing special. The Vaya is definitely stiffer, But more relaxed in terms of handling.

The Vaya Rides like a Vaya. Which is to say it rides like a touring bike. While I wasn't blown away by it, I also wasn't disappointed. It is what it is and it was not right for me. I also wasn't a huge fan of the price to quality ratio. but it's a solid bike at an average price. I just find Soma to be a better value, especially since I always build from the frame up.

The Wolverine would make an excellent tourer, but like all these "gravel grinder" bicycles, that is not what it is at it's heart.

It's an XC mountain bike. At the core of it. These "hip new designs" are a great way to repackage the speedy, light duty rigid MTB's that marketing told us were inadequate in the late 90's. But frankly, people never stopped wanting them.

Now, most of these "gravel grinders" are unabashedly MTBs. The Surly Straggler for example. It's right at home with knobbies on a dirt trail. (having owned a Straggler, it was not the right bike for me. At least for my build. I wanted a fat guy road bike. a super commuter. And the wolverine did that better. That being said, I might buy another Straggler one day. but it will be dressed in full time Knobbies and geared for the trail. Which means a Karate Monkey would probably be the better choice. anyways, back on topic)

More than most gravel grinders, the wolverine seems to be built for street. which is in no way a negative. It has a substantially more forgiving ride and snappier handling.

I'd say if you're Touring. and touring with a heavy, 80+ pound load for more than 100 miles a day. I'd go with the Vaya, in spite of a harsher ride it is just an easier bike to cruise along with. Less mental effort. and when buried in cargo, it's ride will most likely soften.

If you're doing light touring here and there. and the bike will have other uses. I'd go with the Wolverine. I bought it as a Daily Driver. and I'm happy with it in that roll.

mtbr member
    Anyone know if a Dirt Wizard 2.75" tire will fit in the rear of an Analog?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    no, the capacity is for a tire 2.4, maximum 2.5

mtbr member
    That's the stated fit, but there's often some margin there. People report being able to fit a DW in the back of the B side, and it sure looks like the rear triangle is just about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by diegomesa35 View Post
    no, the capacity is for a tire 2.4, maximum 2.5

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    That's the stated fit, but there's often some margin there. People report being able to fit a DW in the back of the B side, and it sure looks like the rear triangle is just about the same.
    I have an analog with continental tires 26x2.2 race king, are like 56cm wide, well you've ridden maxxis 26x 2.25 CROSSMARK are 57cm wide, the manufacturer says that for a 2.4, meaning that as 62 cm wide, truth is there is room, but would not know whether to say 2.75. suddenly becomes very attached to the frame.

I got nothin'
    Thanks Agwan for the reply. I have a Vaya that I built up a year ago and it doesn't really get ridden much. I wanted a machine that could do it all, you know, commute, tour, gravel roads, light XC. I have tried it all except touring so far and it doesn't seem to do anything well. I tend to like my Soma DC much better. That has me wondering if a Wolverine might be a better tool than the Vaya for my needs.

My DC is setup for commuting with 32mm tires, fenders and a front rack. It feels better riding it and out of the saddle climbing than on the Vaya and I think that is due to the very tall head tube on the Vaya compared to the DC. To me the Vaya seems 1) sluggish and I think that is a due to the longer wheelbase and 2) seems less stable with the very tall headtube. The handle bars on the Vaya are about 1 1/2" higher than the DC. I can fix that with some changes of the stem and spacers, but the slugishness can't be changed.

The other thing interests me is that the Wolverine seems to have more tire clearance than the Vaya. I have a 650b wheel set for my Vaya with 2.1" tires for off-road duties and it works, but suffers about a 3/8" bottom bracket drop in height compared to running 40mm x 700c tires on my other wheelset. Seems like the Wolverine can handle 2.1" tires at 700c.

I don't anticipate heavy touring, but I am planning an off-road tour next year that will be about 70% dirt and 30% pavement over about 5 days. I keep telling myself, let's get through Christmas and New Year’s first and then think about buying a new frameset. Let's see how that goes :-)
    I ride at ludicrous speed

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast