Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by tripnox View Post
    Medium. I'm 5'-8" with a 30" inseam. The bike handles waaaay better than my 17.5 Rockhopper 29er that I sold.
    Thanks. I'm thinking the 19.5 would fit me (5'10", 28.75" saddle height).
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member

Thee Official Soma Thread

Alright you Soma lovers, tell me why or why not for the Soma B-Side as a single speed race build. I currently ride and race an El Mariachi in SS and think the 650B tire size is perfect for my 5'8" frame. Tell me why this is or isn't a better choice than a S.I.R.9 or something similar from Niner.

mtbr member
    Steel might give up some pedalling stiffness and be heavier when compared to alloy and carbon frames. But you're comparing it to the steel Niner.

If you like 650s, do it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I am planning on taking my double cross on an offroad tour round Borneo next year - Officially Soma say 38's are the widest tires it will take with fender but looking at the fork I reckon I could get a 2" 29er tire in there no problem and a 1.75 (44 - 45) rear with no fender - anyone any experience with running wide tires - what works and what doesn't would be useful?

mtbr member
    42mm rear tire is really pushing it on the back of a Double Cross. It's enough to where mud packed up will begin to scrape the paint off the seatstays and chainstays.

And the bike doesnt handle so well with bigger tires. Ends up really top heavy with anything more than 35mm tires and tends to loop out easily on climbs.

mtbr member
    I'm sorta looking for a 2013 Juice (the dirty nickel one) in the 19.5" size--it seems the other sizes are available, but not this one. Any leads?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Other than color, are the 2013 and 2014 Juice frames the same?

mtbr member
    No, the biggest change in the 2014 model is a tapered headtube. They also state "optimized for 100mm forks" but I haven't compared the numbers to see a what that might entail. I would love to see a brown one built up. I've only seen frame pictures on a white background. Hard to tell stay it will really look like.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks for the reply. That's what I needed to know.

mtbr member

Re: Thee Official Soma Thread

Quote Originally Posted by KylesCog View Post
    No, the biggest change in the 2014 model is a tapered headtube. They also state "optimized for 100mm forks" but I haven't compared the numbers to see a what that might entail. I would love to see a brown one built up. I've only seen frame pictures on a white background. Hard to tell stay it will really look like.
    I don't believe it's actually tapered. They say you can run a straight steerer with a zero stack headset or a tapered steerer with a zero stack top and external bottom. They specify exactly what bottom, i don't remember the details.

Also, the dirty nickel was also "optimized" for the 100mm fork.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk
    it's fun to do bad things

A God Without A Name
    So I'm feeling the desire to put together a B-side for some fastish, carvy, not too technical trail riding.

Front squish and Gears. I loved my Groove as a Commuter, never gave me a problem and rode like a dream, but for a clyde riding hard off road, would the B-side be a wise choice as a trail bike?

Or should I go for something more sturdy?

The Fastest of Bananas
    Anyone here have a Soma road bike?

I really want one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post
    Anyone here have a Soma road bike?

I really want one.
    I built up a Smoothie ES for a friend on a budget-turned out pretty nice. Decently made, lightweight steel frame-prep work was minimal and it went together easily.

(He's tall-that steerer is uncut)

Thee Official Soma Thread-8814208437_0a30fe6a2c_h%5B1%5D.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

B-Side, didn't realize there was a SOMA thread.

just build this a few weeks ago.. haven't been able to get on the trails yet with it, hopefully this week since there is no rain in the forcast!
    super happy with the build and turned out lighter than the 26" SS it replaced.

Thee Official Soma Thread-soma3.jpegThee Official Soma Thread-3.jpegThee Official Soma Thread-5.jpgThee Official Soma Thread-6.jpeg

now I need to get one of those cool replacement headbadges!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post
    Soma road bike?
    Here's three of the bunch built in my shop over the years (I apologize for the poor quality of the photos). The Smoothie, Smoothie ES, and the SS all build up into extraordinary bikes. Two of those shown were built with Campy Record 11.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thee Official Soma Thread-026.jpg  

Thee Official Soma Thread-p1040733.jpg  

Thee Official Soma Thread-p1070158.jpg  

A God Without A Name
    My Surly doesn't compare to the ride quality of my Soma. I expect to be back on a Wolverine or Double Cross by years end.

mtbr member
    I loved the ride of my Juice--super smooth. However, I found no real difference between the ride of my Surly Cross Check and the Double Cross. I compared them here:

Bikes and Playgrounds: Soma Double Cross vs. Surly Cross Check Comparison

Quote Originally Posted by Agwan View Post
    My Surly doesn't compare to the ride quality of my Soma. I expect to be back on a Wolverine or Double Cross by years end.

A God Without A Name
    That was an interesting read. I was also coming from a MTB, the groove. and it was just so perfect in terms of being supple and responsive. the Straggler is so much stiffer and less intuitive. maybe that's just the nature of the frame style. I did notice the points you'd made about the Double Cross, I'm hoping this up-coming batch addresses some of them (most importantly to me, the cheap, ugly rear drops)

If it doesn't the Soma Wolverine would.

but if there is no real difference, why change.

Birdman aka JMJ
    Lots of Soma love here at work:

My black Soma Groove (Reynolds tubing), set up SS. My coworker's blue Soma Groove and Soma Smoothie ES.

JMJ

mtbr member
    I'm thinking of a Wolverine with Alfine 8.

Would the Alfine 8 cranksets fit?

A God Without A Name
    It is a good bet it will. most gravel grinder type bikes are designed with road components in mind.

that being said the Alfine crank is super duper not special. so if it doesn't there is a pile of cranks out there that will.

mtbr member
    Well I already have the Alfine parts so hope it fits. Don't wanna spend on another set of cranks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I know it's only been available a short time, but has anyone got some time in on a Wolverine frame yet? What are your impressions? How's the sizing? I'm 5"9" and have been on a 56cm Cross Check that I find just a bit too big. Can't decide whether the 52 or 54 Wolverine would be a better fit. The 54 isn't all that different from a 56 CC. I'm ordering online and don't have anywhere to try a Soma frame out.

iphilrive
    Quote Originally Posted by emat View Post
    I know it's only been available a short time, but has anyone got some time in on a Wolverine frame yet? What are your impressions? How's the sizing? I'm 5"9" and have been on a 56cm Cross Check that I find just a bit too big. Can't decide whether the 52 or 54 Wolverine would be a better fit. The 54 isn't all that different from a 56 CC. I'm ordering online and don't have anywhere to try a Soma frame out.
    you and i are in the same boat! i was going to order the 56 then i looked at the specs and not i'm leaning more towards the 54!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I've ordered a 54. Should be here in a week or so, then it's off to the powder coaters straight away.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast