Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    underachiever

Ted Wojcik, Take 2

Okay, back in February of 2007 I decided to treat myself to a new mountain bike. My trusty 1994 Rhygin (built in 1996) was still serving me well, but I really wanted to try some of the new technology and also go back to having a completely rigid bike. What I wanted was a modern version of a Fat Chance Yo Eddy; a bike I passed over for my Rhygin.

Now, all my frames are locally made, and I wanted to keep it that way. When it came time to decide which local framemaker to use, and there are many qualified craftsmen/women in the Boston area, it was a no-brainer: Ted Wojcik. Similar to my affinity for Fat Chance products, there was always something about Ted's work that I just liked. Maybe it was his reputation concerning his brilliant welding skills or maybe it was the funky font emblazoned on his bikes. Whatever it was, I dropped a dime and made an appointment to meet with Ted to fit myself up with what I have been affectionately calling a "Yo Teddy."

Ted's the type of guy you can hang out with all day and shoot the breeze. He'll bend your ear like it's nobody's business. With more than 25 years in the frame building industry, he has a lot of stories.

When I got the call to go and retrieve my bike, I was elated, but then somewhat bewildered when I arrived to find my frame hadn't been built up with all the components. Though, this feeling quickly subsided as I got the chance again to pick Ted's brain and talk about a myriad of topics for the next several hours.

To save myself some time, I opted to have Ted build the complete bike considering I wasn't all that familiar with things like the hydraulic braking systems. I chose a full XTR gruppo with Mavic CrossMax SLR wheels and some carbon fiber bits. After several cups of joe, here's what I got at the end of the day:

Attachment 411791

It's a beauty, isn't it? Well, one of would think. After several rides, something just wasn't right. I just didn't like it like I anticipated. I took some time and waffled about exactly what I should do. Convert it to a single speed? A 2x9? Sell it? I came to the conclusion that what I really wanted was to build the bike up as a custom bike, similar to what I did when I built my Rhygin. I then proceeded to disassemble the bike and sold everything on eBay.

Things have changed a lot in the past decade. I really wasn't all that well versed with the 21st century bike industry. Companies like Cook Bros. Racing, Hershey, Kooka, TNT and Fat Bottom are gone from the landscape and Syncros, Salsa and Bontrager aren't the independent companies they once were. Gone are the days when you can get rebuildable derailleurs. Planned obsolescence is just a fact of life. My goal is to use as much from smaller builders as I can (i.e. American-made), throwing in some "vintage" parts here and there to fill the gaps.

That being said, here's what it looks like now:

Attachment 411792

Attachment 411793

Attachment 411794

As you can see, it's just the frame and fork. Speaking of which, Chris Igleheart provided the traditional New England segmented fork.

Attachment 411795

The first thing I did was install a Chris King aheadset. Okay, Roy from Grace Bicycles in Holliston, Massachusetts actually installed because I'm lazy. Plus, I was picking up my Independent Fabrication Titanium Crown Jewel, which is pictured behind the Yo Teddy, so it was convenient. By the way, the Deda stem is just a placeholder. I have an order from Black Sheep that I have been patiently waiting to arrive that includes a stem, handlebars and a seat post. I am champing at the bit to get these. It's taking James at Black Sheep a tad longer, but they've been really cool and I'm not in a rush, so all is groovy.

Attachment 411798

I haven't used water bottles in like 15 years, and I should have had Ted skip the process of adding these to the frame (my IF doesn't have them). To make it pretty, I installed these nice little titanium bolts.

Attachment 411799

Attachment 411800

Attachment 411801

Attachment 411802

UPS and FedEx have visited me several times this week with lots of tasty bits for my build. For wheels, I decided to go the hand built route. My days of wheelbuilding are over, so I opted to have my local bike shop (Belmont Wheelworks) build them for me. Again, I'm lazy. I really liked the Mavic CrossMax SLR wheels, and actually have a set of my Rhygin, but like the personalized service you get from places like Phil Wood. It's great when you can actually call a company and get a human and not a maze of customer service menus.

Anyway, these hubs are custom drilled to use with the 28-hole NOS Mavic 231 rims. I really liked these back in the 1990s, and when I saw a set for sale up on eBay, I snagged them. These will be ready in Friday, and I can't wait to get them.

I went with the Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.4 tires because they're pretty light. It was a tossup between these and the Continental Mountain King Supersonic 2.4 tire, which are actually lighter than the Schwalbe tires. Might try the Continentals on my recently acquired mint condition 1992 Fat Chance Yo Eddy. Maybe...
    Last edited by misterdangerpants; 12-23-2011 at 05:58 AM.

underachiever

Saddle and Bashguard

I also picked up a Selle Italia SLR saddle last week. Once I get the seat post, it'll be installed. I have one on my Rhygin and like the shape. It's super light, though don't consider myself a "weight weenie."

Got the bashguard a couple of months ago directly from Ted. Glad he had one hanging around. It'll be a nice addition...

Attachment 411825

Attachment 411826
    Last edited by misterdangerpants; 12-23-2011 at 05:57 AM.

underachiever

Derailleurs and Shifters

These just came in. When it came time to select the derailleurs and shifters, I initally was just going to go with the same system I have on my updated Rhygin: SRAM X-0 Grip Shift along with SRAM X-0 rear derailleur and Shimano XTR front derailleur. The more I thought about it, the more I wanted something made in the USA. This is pretty much impossible for new components (unless you can enlighten me as I might have overlooked a company that still does these), so I'd have to go the NOS route. I like the old Rhino, Paul Components and Precision Billet Proshift systems. The latter came up on eBay and I took the plunge. I've read mixed reviews about the old CNC derailleurs, but quite frankly, I think they'll perform just fine. These were made in late 1995 or early 1996.

I don't know all that much about Precision Billet, but information on the company was easy to find. For instance, this article. As for quality, found reviews here on the MTBR site.

Anyway, here they are. Again, I was lazy, so used the photos from eBay, though the instructions are taken by me:

Attachment 411840

Attachment 411841

Attachment 411842

Attachment 411843

Attachment 411844

Attachment 411846

Attachment 411847

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

nice color

really like the fork also. where are you located ?

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryonaspot
    really like the fork also. where are you located ?

Thanks! I didn't know about Chris Igleheart until I met with Ted, so I was glad to get hooked into his work also. As for paint, I also liked the Fat Chance Yo Eddy Team Violet color, but the green really screams out. I'm in the metro Boston area, which is a goldmine for independent bike builders.

mtbr member
    Can't wait to see the finished product! Should be amazingly cool.

Keep us posted on how it builds up!

I have to ask Ted about those bashguards.

underachiever
    Picked up the wheels this morning. They are really sweet. I already received the tubes & tires last week so slapped them on. I'm leaning towards Avid BB7 brakes along with Paul Components Compact Love Levers, but will most like get to that next year. I'm also on the fence about the crankset. I have a Crank Brothers Cobalt on my Rhygin, and really like it, though wouldn't mind getting a nice old NOS Cook Bros. Racing RSR. I used to have those on my Rhygin...

Attachment 412578

mtbr member
    Lookin good sir! Lookin really good.

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Lookin good sir! Lookin really good.
    thanks! earlier today I received the UPS shipment notification regarding my Black Sheep order. it's coming 2nd Day Air, so I'll have the seat post, stem and handlebars installed by the weekend...

mtbr member
    Black sheep stuff - nice compliments to the Ted frame that's for sure!! Should be one helluva cool bike when done. Can't wait to see the final product.

underachiever
    Black sheep stuff - nice compliments to the Ted frame that's for sure!! Should be one helluva cool bike when done. Can't wait to see the final product.
    Yeah, I really like their stuff. I've been dreaming about one of their titanium road forks, but I need to pull the reigns back a bit on the spending! Anyway, it was almost a 2 month wait, but like the Ted, well worth it. UPS just arrived so it's time to open this:

Attachment 413500

underachiever

couldn't wait...

...quickly installed the Black Sheep items (with a gratuitous shout of the Phil Wood rear hub). super nice.

Attachment 413516

Attachment 413517

Attachment 413518

Attachment 413519

Attachment 413520

Attachment 413521

mtbr member
    nice!

underachiever
    nice!
    again, thanks! it's coming along. next up are the Paul Components Compact Love Levers and the Avid BB7 brakes. still have decided on the crankset and bottom bracket. currently sporting a nice Crank Brothers Cobalt SL w/Crank Brothers Cobalt titanium bottom bracket on my Rhygin, which I really like. debating going with something NOS "vintage" (or in excellent used condition), like Cook Bros. Racing, though I wouldn't be able to use the Ted Wojcik bash guard going that route.

currently, I also have an NOS Shimano XTR 8-speed cassette (CS-M900, 12-28) heading my way. it's taking a little longer than I expected as it's coming from Canada...

mtbr member
    That bike is calling out for some Syncros Revolution cranks IMO!

underachiever
    That bike is calling out for some Syncros Revolution cranks IMO!
    ha! well, if you come across a set (NOS or mint condition), preferably in black, you let me know! :-)

mtbr member
    MrDp!

How ya been? Nice job. I didn't know Ted made "yo" forks.

PS: nice color on that Indy lurking in the background!

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by KDXdog
    MrDp!

How ya been? Nice job. I didn't know Ted made "yo" forks.

PS: nice color on that Indy lurking in the background!

hey buddy! things are groovy in my neck of the woods. snowing outside, so bummed that the cycling seasons is over, though can't wait to get on the snowboard and skate skis. yeah, Ted doesn't make forks (I think) and Chris Igleheart made the one on my bike. he's a great guy and as gregarious as Ted.

that's my 2008 IF Ti CJ in the background. I actually just completed that last week with the update of the STI shifters (and front derailleur) from the 7800 Dura Ace to the new 2009 7900 Dura Ace. way nicer with the concealed cables! here's a peek (go here for the full story):

Attachment 414450

underachiever
    So, the cassette and grips arrived today. The cassette took just over 2 weeks to arrive as it came from Canada. It's an 8-speed Shimano CS-M900 12-28 (XTR). I really didn't see the need to go with a 9-speed, of which my Rhygin is equipped, and the new XTR doesn't go any smaller than 32. In addition, obviously I need an 8-speed to go with the Proshift drivetrain.

The grips, which are locking Cane Creek, were the wrong type. I ordered twist shift length and got the standard/normal length. They were nice enough on the phone, and will be sending me the correct ones along with a return shipping label.

Next up is the brakes...

Attachment 414810

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Stop teasing already!!!

Gonna be real cool

mtbr member
    If you'd rather not send those grips to Cane Creek, I'd buy them from ya.

Cheers,

Mark

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryonaspot
    Gonna be real cool
    yeah, I think I'm going to like it. and trust me, I really, REALLY want this project completed! I've already decided the brakes (Paul Components Compact Love Levers & Avid BB7s) so that just leaves the crankset. After a lot of research, I think I'm going to go with the Middleburn RS8 (triple). They have a nice retro feel to them...

underachiever
    If you'd rather not send those grips to Cane Creek, I'd buy them from ya.

Cheers,

Mark

hey there. most likely will just be doing the swap as the correct grips are on their way with the return UPS paperwork (they're not charging me twice). I'll let you know.

Moosehead
    this has got to be the guiness world record for longest striptease. photos of parts boxes, minute build increments, close up skin shots. jeebus man, get her done and post up otherwise the crowd is going to storm the stage.

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by moosehead
    this has got to be the guiness world record for longest striptease. photos of parts boxes, minute build increments, close up skin shots. jeebus man, get her done and post up otherwise the crowd is going to storm the stage.
    well, I have 2 speeds: slow and stop.

that being said, I just picked these up from a guy in Portugal and they're currently en route via CTT Correios de Portugal. they're the NOS 10th Anniversary Syncros Near Net Forged cranks and come with the Crank-o-matic bolts. I like the vintage approach and will be slapping on an old Kooka 24 tooth chain ring I've had since the mid 1990s. don't have the bolts or the outer chain rings yet. heading out for the next few weeks so will post when these are built and installed. I don't know what size bottom bracket to use, so need to research that.

Attachment 415759

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast