mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Sycip Unleaded or Retrotec Twin??

I can't decide on whether to get a SyCip Unleaded or a Rertotec Twin frame. It's pretty much a toss of a coin. Can any SyCip or Retrotec owners help me to decide???

mtbr member
    I've got a custom Unleaded.
    Can't say enough good things about it.
    By far, the best handling bike I've ever owned.
    Including my Bontrager (but then again, it's sized perfectly for me)
    Also, I had a crack in the left seatstay.
    Jay and Jeremy treated me very well with the repair.
    Do a search in this forum to read the whole story.
    I've attached a pic of the bike.
    Let us know what you decide.
    Lenny

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Tough Call

ahh .. the sweetest of decisions!

I've got a Sycip Crossdress and most recently a 29er Retrotec Half with twin top tube ... both beautiful bikes!

Both builders have fantastic products and it reallly depends on how you want your ride to look like ... curvy and swoopy or straight and simple ...

can't go wrong either way ...

I like butter
    Jan 2004

win win situation

both setups are great, I own two SyCips (26 and 29) and love both of them and have a SyCip built Mountain Goat. Mountain Goat is having Curtis make a frame for them as well since his quality is so good.

I would heavily agree with the post above that is you want a diamond frame go with SyCip, if you want a curvy frame go with Retrotec, or if you reallly want to mess with things buy a Mountain Goat since they of course are different but still with the flair of either of the builders you want!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    my vote goes for the Sycip.

ahb
    zoip.
    Apr 2005
    can't go wrong either way. both are beautiful. both lovingly made in northern ca. both made to the highest quality and fit standards. each would certainly recommend the other to you. both powdered in the sycip booth, if you choose powder. so, it comes down to an aesthetic decision. take the slight weight penalty of the twin (by far the most beautiful retrotec) and marginally increased flexiness (or supple smoothness, depending on your mood) or the marginally lighter but more pedestrian-looking unleaded? do you like segmented seatstays? the sycip will have them. if you go for the twin, you'll want to spring for fillet. the sycip's TIG welds are regarded as the best in the business....

the solution? one of each! my retrotec is by far the nicest bike i've ever ridden. I'm getting another as soon as I manage to pony up another deposit. would I love one of jeremy's bikes in my stable? definitely. but i NEED another retrotec. and soon....

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

the retrotec twin feel

the retrotec twin curves seem like it would give a slightly more forgiving feel on the trails. but the Sycip can offer a more responsive ride which i like when i'm climbing. i was thinking about having the sycip bros. install a curved seatstays like they have on their picture of their 29'er http://www.sycip.com/bikes_29mtn.html

mtbr member
    i got both Sycip and Retrotec twin.but the retro is a 29er. both rides are amazing, its hard to choose between the 2 really.

just ask someone to give a u a test demo ride and decide which one u like. u will be torn.

I've got a sycip SS and a Retrotec 29er... seems to be a bit of that going around. maybe you should just order both.

mtbr member
    Tough choice, I own SyCip Unleaded, Diesel, Crossdresser & Road all ride great no complaints yet again you're riding a custom. Jay & Jeremy are good friends of mine as is Curtis. My next bike will be a Retrotec, just gotta come up w/ the funds. You can't go wrong w/ either. Good luck on your choice young Skywalker
    "What's behind me does not matter!"

mtbr member
    Twin Retrotec gets my vote. But I am biased with my Triple.
    I'd rather be riding my bike...

Canuck on this Rock

Good job! Sycip

I vote for the SyCip. I love mine, probably the best mountain bike I have ever owned. I dont know how they make it so comfortable and quick!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I went with the SyCip

Got it last June. My front wheel is a loaner. I'm getting a new wheel in a few weeks. For the most part, the bike rides like a dream
    Attached Images Attached Images