Ride Hard. Go Fast.

Suggestion on converting XCL to more AM/FR style

Hi there, I haven't posted a lot on this forum but see that there's a slew of people here that are Chumba Pros and I could probably get a good sense for what I need to do.

I have been toying with the idea to beef up my XCL to take on more AM/FR style riding -- my local trail is relatively smooth and all the jumps have transitions so no big gravity drops with the exception of a ladder drop depending on how fast you take it, could be 6-8' to a down slope.

The reason for this move is that the bike feels a little unsteady through rutty, rolly sections and I can feel the forks flex as I roll through the bottom of a transition heading up to another jump. It's a little unnerving really. I feel like the forks are going to snap on me and I'm not that big of a rider.

I'm 5'5", 155-160lbs geared up.

Current setup:
    - XCL small with Fox RP23
    - Fox 32 RLC Float
    - XT groupo
    - Chromag Stem 50mm
    - FSA gravity carbon bars (29.5 in, 40mm rise)
    - Avid Juicy 7 (180 F/R)
    - Thompson post w/ Chumba clamp
    - WTB silverado seat (I think this seat is too small and hurts after a long climb)
    - Stans Flow rims with Hope II hubs
    - Kenda Nevegal DTC 2.1 F/R

Some items I'm investigating:
    1. Hope 2 - 15 or 20mm TA conversion (depending on fork)
    2. Fox 32 Vanilla 15QR or Pike?
    3. Fox DHX 5.0 Air or ROCO AIR TST R

Chances are, I'll try to do this on the cheap so most likely 2008 parts.

I'd appreciate your input.

banned
    Feb 2009
    I would go with a coil rear (DHX) and fox 36 Van up front with the rest of your current kit would transform your bike!

nerfherder
    If I recall correctly from a previous post you're a pretty good rider, though? So you probably push this thing pretty hard. My first thought was a 36 or similar 160mm fork but from reading your post it almost sounds like you just want the thing to be stiffer and track better. If that's the case I'd just do a Pike or QR15 fork and a 2.35 tire in the front and call it a day. The through axle makes a big difference.

mtbr member
    I love the way the Lyric feels up front, and I have DT Swiss 5.10 wheels with 340hubs. It rolls great. I also love the Nevegals, but I have a 2.5" upfront and 2.35 in the rear. I am going to convert the rear hub to a thru-bolt from Hadley and that should stiffen it up even more. I have a Large frame and weigh 205# without gear. I also have the DHX air for the rear shock. It's not the lightest bike, but it's one of the strongest ones for what I do with it. Good luck mate!

56-year-old teenager
    Aug 2006
    I'm 220 and not the most graceful rider.. My XCL has the '07 Chumba thru-axle wheels (9mm front, 10mm rear). That's plenty to keep things on track for me.
    Work is the curse of the biking classes.

Ride Hard. Go Fast.

Ride Hard. Go Fast.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I think I may try a couple of cheap things first... tires and an aluminum bar vs. carbon. Although I know getting a 20mm TA will make a big difference.

the train keeps rollin
    The Red Pen.

Current setup:
    - XCL small with Fox RP23 DHX Coil
    - Fox 32 RLC Float Lyrik U-turn, dial the travel into your secret spot, beef
    - XT groupo
    - Chromag Stem 50mm
    - FSA gravity carbon bars (29.5 in, 40mm rise) don't change, stronga$$ bars!
    - Avid Juicy 7 (180 F/R)
    - Thompson post w/ Chumba clamp
    - WTB silverado seat (I think this seat is too small and hurts after a long climb)
    - Stans Flow rims with Hope II hubs 20mm adapters
    - Kenda Nevegal DTC 2.1 F/R
    beaver hunt

Flying Goat
    coil dhx/manitou isx6/roco air or coil/vivid/, fox 36/lyrik , 2.5" Minion front and a 2.35 highroller in the back.

Everything else looks good...

wuss
    Fork with a stiffer axle and (maybe) new tires should be all you need.

I had a Magura Wotan on my previous bike. It was amazingly stiff, but damn heavy. I swapped it for a coil Pike which felt light at the time, and quite a bit more flexy (still ok though).

When I got the XCL I kept the Pike and enjoyed it for a while... Then I got obsessed with lightening the bike and swapped my wheels and fork for something lighter (Revelation dual air, XT M775 wheelset).

The added lightness really made a big difference, the bike was very flickable and climbed like a dream. However the front end was again a lot flexier and did not track as well as before. Now I got a new wheelset and a DT EXC150 fork (light and stiff).

What I learnt from this sensless swapping of parts was that where I ride weight really makes a big difference, but so does the front axle (tracks way better with a 20mm axle).

Most people here have been suggesting beefy forks like the Fox 36 and Lyric. Both are great, but they also weigh a lot. The Pike (or a Rev with 20mm axle) will already track quite well, but be a lot more manageable if you spend a lot of time on flatish / climbing terrain. I could notice the difference between the Wotan and the Pike quite clearly, so I definitely feel there is a place for a fork like that, unfortunately not the trails I ride (great going down, but hinder the ride too much on flats and climbs).

Ride Hard. Go Fast.

Thanks for the info

Last edited by OldschoolBMXer; 04-20-2009 at 06:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'd say get a 36 Talas and a good through axle wheelset, and try them on the XCL, with a Minion DHF up front. If you still don't feel like it's enough, get an Evo and use the 36 and the wheelset on that.

The Evo rocks, but the XCL will feel very different with the 36 up front, and you might find that it's enough. At your weight especially you should be able to do some pretty rugged stuff on the XCL.

Members who have read this thread: 0