mtbr member

Steel MTB framebuilders?

Hey frame builders/owners.

I would appreciate some names of custom steel frame builders who make a bike based around gearing(not ss) and 100mm fork, i'm a noob to custom bikes but I keep hearing how much bike built for yourself improve your comfort and performance, can't afford titanium and live down under.

Some website links would be great
    Pivot mach 6!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel RW View Post

I would appreciate some names of custom steel frame builders who make a bike based around gearing(not ss) and 100mm fork, i'm a noob to custom bikes but I keep hearing how much bike built for yourself improve your comfort and performance, can't afford titanium and live down under.

There's a gigantic list of worldwide steel frame builders on this site (some of them do MTB frames, some don't):

Stahlrahmen-Bikes

mtbr member
    thanks, i came across the mtbr facebook page where they have all the nahbs bikes on display, will check out some of those brands.
    Pivot mach 6!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    i'm looking to build a fat tire bike frame but wanting to know what size steel pipe will be strong enough. any ideas for size pipe would be best (weight and strength)?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    thanks, i came across the mtbr facebook page where they have all the nahbs bikes on display, will check out some of those brands.
    care to post a link? thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Curtlo. Curtlo Cycles - Frame Catalog They still do a softail. Softails are not in vogue right now, but they take the edge off quite nicely.

Russ Denny: Russ Denny Bicycles Russ has and still does contract-built for a ton of Bank of Mom and Dad funded bike brands.

Both of those shops have been around forever and survived through lean years in the bike industry. Both however are in the U.S. and I can't delete this post.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SRock24 View Post
    i'm looking to build a fat tire bike frame but wanting to know what size steel pipe will be strong enough. any ideas for size pipe would be best (weight and strength)?
    For a first bike, stick with tried and true .9/.6 butted CrMo, easier to to work with than thinner tubes and/or more sophisticated metallurgy.

Good starter tubeset for your fatbike would be;
    29er Tubeset 35 X 969 DT :: TUBE SETS :: Nova Cycles Supply Inc.

Check out the framebuilder supplier sticky for other sources too;
    Master list of framebuilding suppliers

half-fast rider
    To the OP:

Coconino
    Vulture
    Rock Lobster
    Waltworks

Any of these guys will build you what you're looking for.
    A wise man once said: "Always Ride"

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Standard Byke Company Davenport, ia
    I repair Carbon Fiber frames.
    http://twobrotherscycleworks.blogspot.com/

nothing relevant to say
    You live Down Under?
    Here ya go.
    Thylacine Cycles :

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    If you are looking out for Steel frame manufacturer in South Africa then BMI Steel Structures is perfect place for you. BMI Steel has been in the steel fabrication and erection industry since July 1988. The companies 25 years experience is testament to the quality and customer satisfaction in our product. One of the key competencies of BMI is that they will not simply design and construct your steel structure but a client centric approach is taken to maximize efficiency and minimize costs.

mtbr member
    Here is a list specific to made in the US builders of mountain bikes in variety of materials. I am sure all of them will ship internationally.

Ultimate Listing: Mountain Bikes Made In AmericaOld Glory MTB ? Mountain Biking Made In America
    Klunk on............

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by kpomtb View Post
    To the OP:

Coconino
    Vulture
    Rock Lobster
    Waltworks

Any of these guys will build you what you're looking for.
    My new Coconino rocks!

Steel MTB framebuilders?-coconino.jpg

Waited 21.5 months for my name to finally rise to the top of the build-queue.

Took receipt of my new signature model singlespeed almost two weeks ago, the sale of which was completed with a high-five, a few beers, and a quick test-ride on the Coconino Cycles World Headquarters test-track just before sundown.

Steve is planning to re-open his build-queue for two weeks only beginning Jan. 1, 2015.
    "Let our people travel light and free on their bicycles." Ed Abbey
    http://www.rockychrysler.com/

half-fast rider
    Quote Originally Posted by rockychrysler View Post
    My new Coconino rocks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coconino.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	174.8 KB 
ID:	947394

Waited 21.5 months for my name to finally rise to the top of the build-queue.

Took receipt of my new signature model singlespeed almost two weeks ago, the sale of which was completed with a high-five, a few beers, and a quick test-ride on the Coconino Cycles World Headquarters test-track just before sundown.

Steve is planning to re-open his build-queue for two weeks only beginning Jan. 1, 2015.
    Oh yeah, the waiting is the hardest part. About a 13 months for my first in 2009 and 17 months for the 2nd last year. Picking them up at Coconino Cycles World HQ is the best part. Worth the 13 hour drive.
    A wise man once said: "Always Ride"