USB Rep'n

Spicer Ebb conversions, anyone?

I have 2003 RM Blizzard that I've bene SS'ing on for about a year now. I use a 3/32" half link for tension and it's pretty spot on at 32x17 but not so much in other ratios. I talked to Gene this morning and for about $200, he's put in an Ebb and a fresh powder coating. I know it's voids the RM warranty but I'm not too stressed about that I guess. Does anyone have any experience with an aftermarket Ebb conversion or anything to watch out for with an Ebb? At $200 for the work and paint, it makes building an Eno rear wheel seem silly to me as an alternative.

Thanks all!
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

Witty McWitterson
    I guess it depends on the brakes you'll want to use. Wanna make the swtich to disc? Go with the EBB for sure. If you're having Gene or Vulture do the sork at teh BB already, you may as well put on disc tabs too. If you want to stay with rim brakes though, I'd go with the ENO. Yeah, it's a tad spendy, but well worth it IMO. Plus, you won't be out the bike if a ride pops up that you must do!
    Just a regular guy.

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    Plus, you won't be out the bike if a ride pops up that you must do!
    Had me laughing on this one! I live in perpetual fear of not having a bike for that must do ride. It would be my luck to win an all expenses paid trip to some awesome mtb location where you had to supply your own ride and mine would be "off the air".

I do run discs currently which is why I am thinking of the conversion. Seems like the price is pretty reasonable and while it's there, I'll have Gene take off the v brake mounts to make things look even cleaner. My buddy said I can use his Intinct for the week or so the SS is getting done so it really might not be all that bad. Worst case scenario, I ride the roadie or take the 20" to the bike park or track while the mtb is in the shop. I guess I just wonder if anyone has ever had an aftermarket EBB done and how it turned out.

eh-nay Ityopia!

Witty McWitterson
    I know several on the board who've had work done(who they are, I couldn't tell ya) by both Spicer and Vulture, and they're all quite happy. I'd got for it, espeacailly if you've got a loner.
    Just a regular guy.

suicycleist

ecc bottom bracket

I went through what you are going through last year and if I were to do it all over I wouldn't change a thing. Sell your frame and have a custom frame built. Most of the time if you think about it, there is more that you may want to do to your ride then just a ecc bottom bracket to make it just the way you would like. You can have the frame made with the materials you want, to the exact size you want, with whatever options you want, eg. disk brake tabs, top tube length, rear derailure hanger or not, fork rake, color, just to name a few. You will never be totaly satisfied just replacing the bb because there is always something you wish you would have done. It may cost a little more than you were wanting to pay at first but piece of mind is worth a lot in my book. Plus if theres a will theres a way. I sold tons of my old stuff on ebay to scrape up enough to do it. It was well worth it. I totaly love the way it rides. My only regreat is that I didn't do it sooner. Good luck...........T.J.

resident crackpot
    I agree with TJ. I have been thinking about doing this on my Bontrager, but after receiving about 50% of replies from frame builders that wouldn't do it because of the gussets, and the thinner-walled tubing that was used, I have decided against it. I don't want to chance of having the frame ruined just because I didn't want to use a tensioner.So I filed down the axle ends on my Hugi hub, hubs are not that expensive. And, martini posted somewhere about how great the ENO eccentric hubs are...about the same price as the conversion.

USB Rep'n
    [QUOTE=loonyOne]So I filed down the axle ends on my Hugi hub/QUOTE]

Thanks guys. Hey loon, you wouldn't have pics of the filed hub axle would you? I was thinking of doing this too but wasn't sure how, how much to file, what tool to use (Dremel?), etc. Any help would be great. I'm guessing I'd have to run V's if I went that route wouldn't I?

The upside is that I really like 32x17 for almost all of the rides I do and I can get that to work with a Spicer half link and no tensioner. I'd only need the EBB for gear changes that I don't envision occurring that often. Hmmm, maybe I don't really need the EBB after all!

Any help on the axle is still welcome, I have a buddy who can use this method regardless of what I do.

eh-nay Ityopia!

resident crackpot
    I am off to work in a few minutes, but I will get you some pics in the upcoming days. I just used a file and tried to keep the filing down to a minimum. The axle ends on the Hugi are aluminum and I didn't want to ruin it completely.

Aside from that, I have used offset links (half) for over two years with mucho success. It allows you to just about dial in gear combos with great ease. Currently, on my Bontrager, I am using just SRAM 8 spd chain with 36/18 gearing and did not use the Power Link...just pressing the chain pin back into the link and dimpling it with a center punch to keep it in. The Hugi also has an alloy freehub, which you may or may not already know, and until I am able to buy a King Kog, I had to completely destroy an XT cassette to even get back into OneGear riding.

Like I said, I will post a pic or send an email in the next couple of days.
    Tom

[QUOTE=namaSSte]So I filed down the axle ends on my Hugi hub/QUOTE]Thanks guys. Hey loon, you wouldn't have pics of the filed hub axle would you? I was thinking of doing this too but wasn't sure how, how much to file, what tool to use (Dremel?), etc. Any help would be great. I'm guessing I'd have to run V's if I went that route wouldn't I?

The upside is that I really like 32x17 for almost all of the rides I do and I can get that to work with a Spicer half link and no tensioner. I'd only need the EBB for gear changes that I don't envision occurring that often. Hmmm, maybe I don't really need the EBB after all!

Any help on the axle is still welcome, I have a buddy who can use this method regardless of what I do.

USB Rep'n
    Udaman Loon! Those offset links are the bomb. With my setup,I can get a 32x17 to work with the offset link, a 32x18 to work with no offset at all but beyond that, I'm not sure. I think I'm going the same route as you btw regarding the King Kog.

Thanks for the help and send me those pics whenever you have a chance.

eh-nay Ityopia!

resident crackpot
    Quote Originally Posted by namaSSte
    Udaman Loon! Those offset links are the bomb. With my setup,I can get a 32x17 to work with the offset link, a 32x18 to work with no offset at all but beyond that, I'm not sure. I think I'm going the same route as you btw regarding the King Kog.

You can't really tell in the one pic, but I think I removed about 1mm or so from the OD of the axle end. The black paint is so that I can tell where the flat spot is because both axle ends rotate individually on the Hugi. I have thought about filing down another area for different gearing but haven't yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

resident crackpot
    Quote Originally Posted by namaSSte

For some reason, I can't post multiple pics without there being a file link...so here is the other pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images