Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Soma Wolverine Builds

It's taken many months more than I had expected, but it's finally finished. Firstly, if you're dismayed I didn't keep the frame orange (like so many other new bikes this fall), I don't care. I wanted mine blue. It's been powder coated with RAL 5003 if anyone wants to know.

It rides great. It's feels lighter and more lively than the cross check I previously owned. This is a 54cm frame. Some components include 11 speed 105 drivetrain. TRP HY/RD disc brakes. The wheels are made up of King R45 hubs in pewter, velocity Blunt SL rims, and 38mm Compass Barlow Pass tires. I've got it set up for commuting in a wet weather and thankfully, the rack and fender struts all fit together without a hitch over the brakes. I've still got to fine tune that fender line, but it's functional for now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Soma Wolverine Builds-img_0477.jpg  

Soma Wolverine Builds-pb160062.jpg  

Soma Wolverine Builds-pb160068.jpg  

Soma Wolverine Builds-pb160069.jpg  

Soma Wolverine Builds-pb160071.jpg  

Soma Wolverine Builds-pb160075.jpg  

Last edited by emat; 11-16-2014 at 11:21 AM. Reason: added frame size

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Of interest to anyone planning to use fenders on this frame with an 11 speed 105 FD is that the derailleur arm came into contact with the fender with the chain in the big ring. These a 51mm fluted VO fenders, but I'm not sure it would be any different with a smaller width. Decided to solve this problem by banging a dent into the fender. The dent comes nowhere near the tire and unless you'r looking for it you can barely notice it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Soma Wolverine Builds-img_0533.jpg  

mtbr member
    Blue looks good. Mine is still on the boat...should be here in a couple of weeks. I'm thinking I might repaint mine as well. I really like the orange, but I have a set of S&S couplers Ill be brazing on so I'll have to sand some paint off anyway. I have laced up a Rohloff disc and Son 28 disc to DT Swiss TK 540's running Schwalbe Big Bens. Drops with the Giles Rohloff shifter and TRP HY/RD. I'll post pics of the build when the frame comes in.

I'm coming from a new Salsa Fargo (blue). I like it with WTB drops, but climbing is a PIA. Most of my commute is hilly so I'm hoping the wolverine geo will help with that.

Thanks for starting this post BTW.

A God Without A Name
    That blue looks phenomenal! I won't be refinishing my bike any time soon, but one day the finish will be worn enough to necessitate it. I'll go crazy at that time.

If I ever get any half decent photos of my Wolverine in it's current arrangement, I'll make sure to post them here.

mtbr member

Rohloff and Schmidt SON Wheel set for Wolverine

I built the Rohloff wheel today...still waiting on the frame to arrive. The Schmidt is still on my Fargo.

Soma Wolverine Builds-img_20141128_215948.jpgSoma Wolverine Builds-img_20141128_220056.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by emat View Post
    It's taken many months more than I had expected, but it's finally finished. Firstly, if you're dismayed I didn't keep the frame orange (like so many other new bikes this fall), I don't care. I wanted mine blue. It's been powder coated with RAL 5003 if anyone wants to know.

It rides great. It's feels lighter and more lively than the cross check I previously owned. This is a 54cm frame. Some components include 11 speed 105 drivetrain. TRP HY/RD disc brakes. The wheels are made up of King R45 hubs in pewter, velocity Blunt SL rims, and 38mm Compass Barlow Pass tires. I've got it set up for commuting in a wet weather and thankfully, the rack and fender struts all fit together without a hitch over the brakes. I've still got to fine tune that fender line, but it's functional for now.
    Nice touch with the blue headset spacer BTW. I like to add an off color spacer as well but never been able to match up the color as well as you have.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks @my2hands. Choosing a color for this frame was actually the last thing I did and easily the hardest decision, fortunately it worked out ok. My only small regret is how dark that 105 crank is.
    I'm looking forward to seeing how your Rolloff build comes together.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hi, may i know what is your height to go with the 54cm wolv? I am scouring the net trying to see what size I shld go with. Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mojak View Post
    Hi, may i know what is your height to go with the 54cm wolv? I am scouring the net trying to see what size I shld go with. Thanks
    5'9". Has Soma released a new batch of frames yet? It was limited run the first time around.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by emat View Post
    5'9". Has Soma released a new batch of frames yet? It was limited run the first time around.
    Im not sure though, just asking coz contemplating between this or the all city macho disc..

I would prefer the taller ht of the 54 but am afraid it will be too long on the ett at 565mm..all city have a 130mm ht on a 550mm ett..im 5"8' btw.

A God Without A Name
    The frames are done... and sitting in a harbor waiting to be offloaded. But the Longshoreman are holding things up until they get a raise.

A God Without A Name
    I'm really debating a carbon fork lately. I want to build something roadie-er.not sure if I should do it on the Wolverine or just build a second bike.

mtbr member
    What size frame are the 6 foot riders usually going with for drop-bar use on this bike?
    '15 Soma Wolverine '12 Soma Analog SS '10 Transition TransAM '07 Felt F1X '97 Schwinn Mesa SS '89 Fuji Saratoga '86 Fuji Club

A God Without A Name

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I've now had a few months on the bike, enough time to get a feel for it I think. I most certainly like this frame more than the Surly Cross Check I had before, but so many components are different between the bikes it's not exactly a fair comparison. It's stable, snappy and accelerates well enough for me without feeling like I'm losing all the power into a flexing of the frame.

I'm indifferent about the 11 speed 105 group, 50-34 / 11-32. It feels fine enough but I can't say it offers me any advantage over a 9 or a 10 speed. On this bike I really wish it had one bigger bail out gear in the back for loaded climbs. Hopefully one day I'll find a solution for this without having to change too many of the components.

As mentioned in my first post, I'm using TRP HY/RD disc brakes. They have plenty of stopping power and the levers have a great feel unfortunately they have a higher frequency pulsing or vibration that hasn't improved with use. I haven't figured out whether it's a product of the frame/fork, rotor, pads, or a combination of the above. It comes from both the front and rear so I don't think it's due to the fork. Any one else have this problem?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    i appreciate the feedback on the bike as i'm patiently awaiting my frameset. i planned to do 11 speed 105 with a 46/36t up front. it seems like it'd be slightly better for the scenario you're describing but i can't help but second guess adopting 11 speed. 11 speed disc hubs with 135 spacing aren't nearly as prevalent as 9/10 so that comes at a premium.

mtbr member
    Hey emat, can you tell me what your seat height is in those pictures? BB center to top of saddle?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Anybody know when the next batch of 60cm will show up??

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Anyone know if the frame will clear a 29x2" tire? I've got my frame on order from my LBS, have a wheelset ready but haven't decided on what tires to run. Was thinking either a fast rolling 29x2" or something like the Surly Knard 700x41.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    Anyone know if the frame will clear a 29x2" tire? I've got my frame on order from my LBS, have a wheelset ready but haven't decided on what tires to run. Was thinking either a fast rolling 29x2" or something like the Surly Knard 700x41.
    Yes, when I had my frame I built it up with Schwalbe Big Bens 29x2. They fit fine, but major wheel - toe overlap which may not be so much of a factor with a larger frame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Awesome, thank you. My rides tend to go something like: pavement, dirt road, pavement, singletrack, gravel, pavement then turn around and repeat. I don't think there is a "correct" tire.

A God Without A Name
    Yeah, I'm running fat franks front and rear with room to spare. It's pretty great.

mtbr member
    Awesome, thank you. My rides tend to go something like: pavement, dirt road, pavement, singletrack, gravel, pavement then turn around and repeat. I don't think there is a "correct" tire.
    I tried some WTB Nano's 2.2 but the knobbies rubbed the bottom of the fork crown, otherwise, they would of fit.

Ah...the endless quest for the perfect enduro tire. The Big Bens are almost perfect IMO except...except for one important element: they don't look the part!

LDX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mojak View Post
    Im not sure though, just asking coz contemplating between this or the all city macho disc..

I would prefer the taller ht of the 54 but am afraid it will be too long on the ett at 565mm..all city have a 130mm ht on a 550mm ett..im 5"8' btw.
    Did you ever buy your Soma Wolverine? I'm also 5'8" and prefer to go with the largest frame possible. The ETT shouldn't be an issue for me as I plan to use moustache bars to keep upright. Suggestions?

mtbr member
    Question about buying a frame and building it up without riding it.

My Fuji Cross is a 54 (fits great), but the Wolverine ETT in size 52, is very close (2mm longer), and the only really (probably) noticeable difference in geo would be the seat tube (The Fuji is 2cm taller), and a few mms or half a degree here or there.

How does that 2cm shorter seat tube on the Wolverine change the ride, or will it?
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tyriverag View Post
    Question about buying a frame and building it up without riding it.

How does that 2cm shorter seat tube on the Wolverine change the ride, or will it?
    Seat tube length doesn't matter as long as it's not too long. You would just adjust the seatpost up or down to make up the difference. Ride characteristics shouldn't really be different.
    '15 Soma Wolverine '12 Soma Analog SS '10 Transition TransAM '07 Felt F1X '97 Schwinn Mesa SS '89 Fuji Saratoga '86 Fuji Club

mtbr member
    Thanks Glynis27, that's what I thought, but I am kind of a turd so I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Now I have to decide between drops or flats!
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    For maximum versatility, I think I am going with either the Surly Knards or Soma Cazadero (that gumwall though). What width rim would you recommend, 23-27mm? I could throw a 2.1ish 29er tire on that rim then, right?
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I just finished my first ride today with 41mm, 120tpi, Surly Knard's. Wow, I'm really impressed with the tire! I use a 25mm Velocity Blunt SL wheel.

mtbr member
    Caz's come in blackwall too. Actually out of gumwall right now.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Soma Fabrications
    www.somafab.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Has anyone heard anything about the August shipment of frames? I ordered a frame a month ago and haven't heard anything. Have a trip coming up in September and would like to have mine built up and get a couple break in rides.

mtbr member
    I would have your dealer check with their distributor. We've sent out over 200 frames to dealers and distributor in the last 30 days. We are caught up on backorders on almost everything except middle sizes placed less than 3 weeks ago. We expect to get another order in at Merry Sales next week, which should cover everyone's backorders.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Soma Fabrications
    www.somafab.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by somacisco View Post
    I would have your dealer check with their distributor. We've sent out over 200 frames to dealers and distributor in the last 30 days. We are caught up on backorders on almost everything except middle sizes placed less than 3 weeks ago. We expect to get another order in at Merry Sales next week, which should cover everyone's backorders.
    Thanks for the reply. I ordered a 54cm on July 10th through my LBS, I was told it was backordered on the 16th so not sure which day the order went through. I'm told they'll be checking the status the next couple days, hopefully I'll be getting my Wolverine built up soon.

I made the mistake of selling my old bike too soon to pay for this one. I mistakenly thought the Wolverine was in stock last month, obviously my fault, but I'm dying a little inside with all these parts and no frame to put them on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

New wolverine build

Thanks to Soma love here and elsewhere, I recently pulled the trigger on a Wolverine. I was originally thinking Surly Straggler, but glad I ended up here. The dropouts are clean, the head tube is almost 2cm longer than a Straggler, and I wouldn't want anything heavier or stiffer. For what it's worth, I'm 6' with a 33" inseam and went with a 56cm frameset, 80mm stem, and 46cm bars. Cons: Short head tube, not so light, and moderately fragile paint. Pros: Versatile steel frame, orange, and fun! Despite the heft, it's surprisingly snappy on singletrack with dropouts in short mode. Right now it's built up in touring mode with front rack/panniers, Revelate frame and seat bags, and Clement Xplor 40mm tires. Thanks again for the positive reviews. Happy trails, roads, and everything in between!

Soma Wolverine Builds-134.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    She's finally done.
    2x1 Drivetrain (not a typo) with FSA Metropolis Internally Geared Crankset
    WTB i19 Wheels with 700x41 Knards
    Brooks Cambium C17 Saddle
    BB7 Brakes
    Sweet matching bar tape, wasn't sure if I would like it until I saw it on the bike, but I really think it looks cool.

Time to put some miles on it.
    Soma Wolverine Builds-wolverine-web.jpg

mtbr member
    Awesome to see! I've got the exact same seat and orange lizard skin tape sitting in a box waiting for my frame to show. I wasn't sure about the orange tape either, but it looks great!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    That's likely to be the frameset, specifically the front fork.

A God Without A Name
    What?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Glynis27 View Post
    What size frame are the 6 foot riders usually going with for drop-bar use on this bike?
    I am 5'11 - 6' and I opted to ride a 56cm. I am running soma Clarence bars but wanted the ability to run drops for cx races. I'm also running a 110mm 10degree stem and a zero stack seat post. Having really long legs and next to no torso, I will say it's a tad on the tight side. But with a layback seat post and drop bars, it should fit my body perfectly. I also have size 9 feet and there isn't any toe overlap but it's close.

So if you have a longer torso or bigger feet, I would suggest a 58cm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tmad View Post
    I am 5'11 - 6' and I opted to ride a 56cm.
    Thanks, but I ended up buying both a 54cm and a 56cm. Built the 54 first and it felt pretty good, but the reach was a bit shorter than I wanted for more aggressive riding. Could have tried it with a longer stem, but decided to just go with the 56 instead. I probably have just short of 2k miles on the 56 now and it's been great! Used it on a week-long tour last month and I was comfy the whole time. I have a 100mm 15degree stem, setback post and Cowbell bars.
    Now I need to figure out what I'm gonna do with the 54.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    with 29er 2.1, is there room for fenders?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I am 5'11 - 6' and I opted to ride a 56cm. I am running soma Clarence bars but wanted the ability to run drops for cx races. I'm also running a 110mm 10degree stem and a zero stack seat post. Having really long legs and next to no torso, I will say it's a tad on the tight side. But with a layback seat post and drop bars, it should fit my body perfectly. I also have size 9 feet and there isn't any toe overlap but it's close.

So if you have a longer torso or bigger feet, I would suggest a 58cm.
    I am thinking of getting a 56 or 58cm and I have a 32-inch inseam. Which one should I lean towards? No one close to me has one to test drive.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by trek4fun View Post
    I am thinking of getting a 56 or 58cm and I have a 32-inch inseam. Which one should I lean towards? No one close to me has one to test drive.
    My pant inseam is between 32-33" but my actual inseam (for cycling fit measurements) is around 35-36"

I would suggest that you figure out what kind of reach you want. For example, if I wanted a much faster road riding bike, i would have gone with a 58 and drop bars to lean forward more. But I'm really happy with my 56 and mustache bars for sitting upright and being nice and comfortable for commuting.

A God Without A Name
    Images, woot.

Soma Wolverine Builds-usoukps.jpgSoma Wolverine Builds-nwjyemg.jpgSoma Wolverine Builds-mlcjjy0.jpgSoma Wolverine Builds-jmvnaer.jpgSoma Wolverine Builds-c4klxdy.jpgSoma Wolverine Builds-9vioarb.jpg

CS2
    mtbr member
    She's finally done.
    2x1 Drivetrain (not a typo) with FSA Metropolis Internally Geared Crankset
    WTB i19 Wheels with 700x41 Knards
    Brooks Cambium C17 Saddle
    BB7 Brakes
    Sweet matching bar tape, wasn't sure if I would like it until I saw it on the bike, but I really think it looks cool.

Time to put some miles on it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wolverine Web.jpg 
Views:	3471 
Size:	223.7 KB 
ID:	1011314
    You mean put some smiles on. The metropolis stem is a nice alternative to a stack of spacers. Nice build hope you enjoy it.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Just finished her up last night, and brought it with me in my commute. Set it up as a retro-ish MTB, although might switch to drops in the future. While waiting for the BB7 stoppers I slapped in extra XT hydraulic brakes from the bin - I was thinking that it would be out of place but upon installation it kinda works with the overall look.

Soma Wolverine Builds-imageuploadedbytapatalk1453173081.986635.jpg
    Soma Wolverine Builds-imageuploadedbytapatalk1453173112.938317.jpg
    Soma Wolverine Builds-imageuploadedbytapatalk1453173128.489894.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Nice ride! What size are your tires? Could you please provide a pic of the tire clearance? I am about to start one that I am building up as a monster-cross.
    Cheers!

mtbr member
    Soma Wolverine Builds-imageuploadedbytapatalk1453179632.401479.jpg

29x2.1 with the dropouts pulled all the way backwards. 2.2 tires might also fit, but at the front it will be tight. Good luck on the build!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    nice, Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Aybee. This.... Is awesome!

A God Without A Name
    I've been looking for a set of knobbies to try on the Wolverine. And those look perfect!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Sooo... rear racks are harder to fit on this frame than I thought they would
    Can anybody shed some light onto which rear racks that for sure?? I would like to do some touring so racks that have a >45 lb rating would be ideal.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Out for a spin w/ Nano 40's
    Soma Wolverine Builds-wolverine-1.jpg

The BS (Barton Springs) kit. Mat, towel, trunks, goggles, and 2x cold beers on 29x2.0 Race Kings for rolling down the Greenbelt to go swimming.Soma Wolverine Builds-wolverine-4.jpg

Slaying some local singletrack.
    Soma Wolverine Builds-2015-11-15-16.16.33.jpg

Bike packing rig...back on 700x40 Nano's with Revelate & Blackburn bags carrying food for 2.5 days / 2 nights, cookware, stove & fuel, H20 filter, hammock, light sleeping bag, and large HydroFlask for keeping beer acquired at breweries along the way ice cold.Soma Wolverine Builds-wolverine-3.jpg

A God Without A Name
    Sooo... rear racks are harder to fit on this frame than I thought they would
    Can anybody shed some light onto which rear racks that for sure?? I would like to do some touring so racks that have a >45 lb rating would be ideal.

Thanks in advance!
    Regular rear racks have no issue fitting on mine. Currently have some Bontrager rack on mine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Agwan View Post
    Regular rear racks have no issue fitting on mine. Currently have some Bontrager rack on mine.

I found that the Bontrager disk rack works, however I was hoping to find a rack with an additional bar that sweeps back to prevent the panniers from interfering with the spokes.

A God Without A Name
    I'm using the non disc rack. The larger of the two. Do you have fenders to deal with? Because i just had to bend the rack a tiny bit and I was fine.

Oh! I also have hydros. Those things are very low profile. What brakes are you running?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I'm using the non disc rack. The larger of the two. Do you have fenders to deal with? Because i just had to bend the rack a tiny bit and I was fine.

Oh! I also have hydros. Those things are very low profile. What brakes are you running?
    Bingo! I'm running BB7's as well as SKS Chromoplastic Longboards. My ultimate goal is to have a commuter/light-duty touring bike. Most every rack has interferred with the BB7's pad reach adjuster or the barrel adjuster.

A God Without A Name
    Yeah, I got rid of my last pair of BB7s in 2013. those things were the best when they came out. but now the only Mechanical I'd run is Spyre. just about the same power as a BB7, but lower profile AND easier adjustments.

flat bar Hydraulics are just so affordable these days, and I got the hook up on my NOT affordable drop bar hydro's. makes it a non issue.

dying hurts.
    just discovered this thread....here's mine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny the boy View Post
    just discovered this thread....here's mine.
    NOICE! Dig the rasta headset spacers... and the saddle choice.... and the proper barcon shifters.

dying hurts.
    fwiw i'm 6' tall (long torso) and the 56cm fits me like a glove.
    110mm -7deg stem, 44cm cowbells and a zero setback post. 78cm saddle height for reference.
    (this pic was with shimano 6800)..have since "downgraded" to 10sp deore w/ bar end shifters and a triple crank.

mtbr member
    HA! We have the same taste in many things, apparently. I have the same Revelate seat bag. Our cockpit reach is the same too. I'm also on a 56, with a 20mm shorter stem and cowchippers that have 20mm longer reach...so about the same. I'm 5'11" with a 75cm seat height and 175 cranks.

dying hurts.
    I was just in Austin this past weekend too! haha!!

mtbr member
    What tires are those in the pictures? 2.1 Nano's? The 40's have blown me away how good they are, which has made me think the 2.1's would be awesome for chunkier days. I really love the Conti Race King 2.0's on here too. The "Pure Grip" version of them is not available in the states that I'm aware of, for some reason, but I've been ordering them from Wiggle UK for $31 a piece and they're badass.

dying hurts.
    yeah...they're 2.1 nanos...they're my everyday tire.

mtbr member

Here's mine in progress.

dying hurts.
    just got these today..!!

mtbr member
    What kind of weights are people getting on their final builds?
    Also, anyone know the weight (approx) of the frame and fork?
    Thanks

A God Without A Name
    Approximate weight is roughly 7 pounds. My wolverine currently sits at 33 pounds with bag and lights. With my chukker wheels the lightest I've gotten is 26. With carbon wheels and a few other bits I could easily hit 24, 23ish.

mtbr member
    Johnny, Sugino XD? Good choice!

mtbr member
    That seems pretty reasonable.

dying hurts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saul Lumikko View Post
    Johnny, Sugino XD? Good choice!
    yup! w/ 36t wolf tooth ring.
    11-34 cassette right now...will go to the sunrace 11-40 (maybe 42) in a little bit.
    LOVING the 1x so far on this bike...!!

dying hurts.

A God Without A Name
    That seals it, I'm changing the color of my Wolverine.

dying hurts.
    That seals it, I'm changing the color of my Wolverine.
    I didn't change the color....I removed it!! haha

A God Without A Name
    Looks good!

mtbr member
    Is there clearcoat on the metal?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

dying hurts.
    nope. just raw steel. t9 on the inside of the tubes and I wiped down the outside with linseed oil.

dying hurts.
    oh, and those are wtb nine line 2.25s in the pic

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I am 6 1.5". I'm wondering whether to get the 58 or 60cm. I ride a 60cm surly long haul trucker with 42c tires and it is a little tight but OK with standover but I'm streched out. But with this you want a little more upright vs. stretched out right? And may have bigger tires on Wolverine too.

Only problem is moving from the 58 to 60 is only an increase in Toptube of 13mm. BUT moving from 58 to 60 is an increase in 29mm of stack.

Looking again the geometry looks eerily similar to the LHT other than shorter chainstays and higher bb height.

dying hurts.
    I'd go 58.....

Commuter/Tourer
    I'm 6' 2" and I've had a 58cm LHT, 58cm Double Cross Disc, and 58cm Wolverine. I always felt a bit stretched out on the LHT with the stock stem. I ran a 90cm 107degree stem on the DCD with 50mm of spacers, and that was comfy for me. I am currently running the same stem and spacer height on the Wolverine and that is a good fit for me. I like to be fairly upright on my drop bar bikes, but 95% of my riding is commuting in an urban environment and touring. Everyone's proportions are different though; that was just my experience.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'd say 58 also...you could make a 60 work but 58 seems like a more dialed fit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks. One more question for my feeble mind. How is it possible the LHT and Wolverine have the same exact same geo (Aside from chainstay length and bb height) and have the same standover while the wolverine has 8mm less bb drop. All things the same I would assume an 8mm difference in the seat tube or that 8mm made up in the standover difference. What am I missing here?

Can anyone with a 58cm measure your standover and report back. Also include tire size if you don't mind.

Thanks

Commuter/Tourer
    The 58cm stand over is ~82cm on a 35mm tire.

mtbr member
    Could be that standover measurements are inconsistent from brand to brand depending upon what spot on the top tube they're measuring to.

A God Without A Name

And the new color is...

...matte black?

Soma Wolverine Builds-soma_wolverine_frm_v2_fake-blk_640.jpg

Not sure how I feel about that. I work for a Specialized dealer, so I'm kind of sick of seeing flat black paint jobs all day long.

I was considering a second Wolverine once the new colorway came out. Now... I'll have to wait and see.

mtbr member
    Still working on it, but making progress:

Quote Originally Posted by BigBo View Post
    How is it possible the LHT and Wolverine have the same exact same geo (Aside from chainstay length and bb height) and have the same standover while the wolverine has 8mm less bb drop. All things the same I would assume an 8mm difference in the seat tube or that 8mm made up in the standover difference. What am I missing here?
    Headtube length is different. Also only the seat tube C-T is the same - doesn't mean the top tube is welded on the same exact spots on the seat tube and headtube. The vertical position of the top tube could vary without changing anything else in the geo.

dying hurts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saul Lumikko View Post
    i don't quite get this...i've got my rear brake housing routed to the other side of the headtube...and the side that the braze-on is on....

mtbr member
    Looks like he's running his brakes Moto style

dying hurts.
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    Looks like he's running his brakes Moto style
    ah yes..you could be right!

mtbr member
    Yup, right lever for the front brake.

mtbr member
    My 60 cm Soma Wolverine (I'm 191 cm/6" 3"). If anyone is interested, the bike weighs in at 12.2 kg/26.9 lbs. Not too bad considering that it has no lightweight parts (well the cranks and pedals are relatively light, but not WW stuff imo).

Cockpit: Ritchey seatpost/Ergon saddle; some cheap 110 mm Funn stem and 46 cm Ritchey Evomax bars with Lizard skin tape. Brake levers are Sram Rivals.
    Drivetrain: Sram Force w/42T chainring, Shimano A600 pedals, 11-42 Sunrace cassette and a Rival derailleur.
    Wheels: Easton Arc 24 rims with Hope Pro 4 and Shutter Precision hubs. Tyres are 1.75" Vee Rubber Rails, set up tubeless.
    Other parts: B&M Lumoteq IQ etc. 80 lux front light, SKS fenders, mount for Ortlieb 6 l handlebar bag.

I'm quite happy with it

It still needs mudflaps, and at some point lowrider racks (or perhaps a rear rack if there's enough heel clearance with bags). Maybe a dynamo-operated rear light too.

dying hurts.

ADV
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    just ordered my frame Tuesday hope to see it in a week or so. 5'8" and went with the 52 should be a good fit. had a 54 Raleigh furley that i really liked but having clearance for a 2.0 tire and sliders i and to pick up a wolverine.

My build will be. Thomson stem and seat post, salsa cow bell bars, sun ringle charger pro 29er wheels ( need to find some road wheels yet), bb7 brakes, white industries double double crank, chris king headset.

I will put pictures up once I get it all built

A God Without A Name
    BB7's are really over-rated at this point. there are a lot of better, comparably priced options now. If a mechanical disc must be used, I'd strongly vote for the Spyres.

If sticking with the BB7s, the rotors are garbage and the pads are meh. Shimano rotors and EBC gold pads really make a huge difference.

Also, Don't run the Thomson Clamp. The seatpost is good stuff, but that clamp is prone to slipping, and many people crack it because they over torque it, because it slips.

Love the White Industries crank, White is now working on a more modern axle system for it. That I am drooling over and I hope it comes out soon.

NAHBS 2016 - White Industries adds 30mm spindle cranksets, shows the original wide range cassette & more! - Bikerumor

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Well gosh darn it if that thing ain't a beaut!!!!
    Pedal through it!

mtbr member
    From flat bar to drops!

The nitto jitensha bars were great for commuting but multiple hand positions were limited. Used to run nitto randonnuers on my LHT and loved it, so I'm using it here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Finally took a half decent pic of mine. Picked it up from the shop about a month ago. Love this bike.

Soma Wolverine Builds-1b2o81vl.jpg

mtbr member
    Love the skinwalls!!! Clearance pics please front and back? I'm running archetypes as well so might work for my setup. Thanks

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast