Mtbr's 2016 Winter Biking GearReviews and Roundups

FAT BIKES

WINTER APPAREL

TRAINERS

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Soma Wolverine Builds

It's taken many months more than I had expected, but it's finally finished. Firstly, if you're dismayed I didn't keep the frame orange (like so many other new bikes this fall), I don't care. I wanted mine blue. It's been powder coated with RAL 5003 if anyone wants to know.

It rides great. It's feels lighter and more lively than the cross check I previously owned. This is a 54cm frame. Some components include 11 speed 105 drivetrain. TRP HY/RD disc brakes. The wheels are made up of King R45 hubs in pewter, velocity Blunt SL rims, and 38mm Compass Barlow Pass tires. I've got it set up for commuting in a wet weather and thankfully, the rack and fender struts all fit together without a hitch over the brakes. I've still got to fine tune that fender line, but it's functional for now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Soma Wolverine Builds-img_0477.jpg  

Soma Wolverine Builds-pb160062.jpg  

Soma Wolverine Builds-pb160068.jpg  

Soma Wolverine Builds-pb160069.jpg  

Soma Wolverine Builds-pb160071.jpg  

Soma Wolverine Builds-pb160075.jpg  

Last edited by emat; 11-16-2014 at 11:21 AM. Reason: added frame size

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Of interest to anyone planning to use fenders on this frame with an 11 speed 105 FD is that the derailleur arm came into contact with the fender with the chain in the big ring. These a 51mm fluted VO fenders, but I'm not sure it would be any different with a smaller width. Decided to solve this problem by banging a dent into the fender. The dent comes nowhere near the tire and unless you'r looking for it you can barely notice it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Soma Wolverine Builds-img_0533.jpg  

mtbr member
    Blue looks good. Mine is still on the boat...should be here in a couple of weeks. I'm thinking I might repaint mine as well. I really like the orange, but I have a set of S&S couplers Ill be brazing on so I'll have to sand some paint off anyway. I have laced up a Rohloff disc and Son 28 disc to DT Swiss TK 540's running Schwalbe Big Bens. Drops with the Giles Rohloff shifter and TRP HY/RD. I'll post pics of the build when the frame comes in.

I'm coming from a new Salsa Fargo (blue). I like it with WTB drops, but climbing is a PIA. Most of my commute is hilly so I'm hoping the wolverine geo will help with that.

Thanks for starting this post BTW.

A God Without A Name
    That blue looks phenomenal! I won't be refinishing my bike any time soon, but one day the finish will be worn enough to necessitate it. I'll go crazy at that time.

If I ever get any half decent photos of my Wolverine in it's current arrangement, I'll make sure to post them here.

mtbr member

Rohloff and Schmidt SON Wheel set for Wolverine

I built the Rohloff wheel today...still waiting on the frame to arrive. The Schmidt is still on my Fargo.

Soma Wolverine Builds-img_20141128_215948.jpgSoma Wolverine Builds-img_20141128_220056.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by emat View Post
    It's taken many months more than I had expected, but it's finally finished. Firstly, if you're dismayed I didn't keep the frame orange (like so many other new bikes this fall), I don't care. I wanted mine blue. It's been powder coated with RAL 5003 if anyone wants to know.

It rides great. It's feels lighter and more lively than the cross check I previously owned. This is a 54cm frame. Some components include 11 speed 105 drivetrain. TRP HY/RD disc brakes. The wheels are made up of King R45 hubs in pewter, velocity Blunt SL rims, and 38mm Compass Barlow Pass tires. I've got it set up for commuting in a wet weather and thankfully, the rack and fender struts all fit together without a hitch over the brakes. I've still got to fine tune that fender line, but it's functional for now.
    Nice touch with the blue headset spacer BTW. I like to add an off color spacer as well but never been able to match up the color as well as you have.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks @my2hands. Choosing a color for this frame was actually the last thing I did and easily the hardest decision, fortunately it worked out ok. My only small regret is how dark that 105 crank is.
    I'm looking forward to seeing how your Rolloff build comes together.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hi, may i know what is your height to go with the 54cm wolv? I am scouring the net trying to see what size I shld go with. Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mojak View Post
    Hi, may i know what is your height to go with the 54cm wolv? I am scouring the net trying to see what size I shld go with. Thanks
    5'9". Has Soma released a new batch of frames yet? It was limited run the first time around.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by emat View Post
    5'9". Has Soma released a new batch of frames yet? It was limited run the first time around.
    Im not sure though, just asking coz contemplating between this or the all city macho disc..

I would prefer the taller ht of the 54 but am afraid it will be too long on the ett at 565mm..all city have a 130mm ht on a 550mm ett..im 5"8' btw.

A God Without A Name
    The frames are done... and sitting in a harbor waiting to be offloaded. But the Longshoreman are holding things up until they get a raise.

A God Without A Name
    I'm really debating a carbon fork lately. I want to build something roadie-er.not sure if I should do it on the Wolverine or just build a second bike.

mtbr member
    What size frame are the 6 foot riders usually going with for drop-bar use on this bike?
    '15 Soma Wolverine '12 Soma Analog SS '10 Transition TransAM '07 Felt F1X '97 Schwinn Mesa SS '89 Fuji Saratoga '86 Fuji Club

A God Without A Name

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I've now had a few months on the bike, enough time to get a feel for it I think. I most certainly like this frame more than the Surly Cross Check I had before, but so many components are different between the bikes it's not exactly a fair comparison. It's stable, snappy and accelerates well enough for me without feeling like I'm losing all the power into a flexing of the frame.

I'm indifferent about the 11 speed 105 group, 50-34 / 11-32. It feels fine enough but I can't say it offers me any advantage over a 9 or a 10 speed. On this bike I really wish it had one bigger bail out gear in the back for loaded climbs. Hopefully one day I'll find a solution for this without having to change too many of the components.

As mentioned in my first post, I'm using TRP HY/RD disc brakes. They have plenty of stopping power and the levers have a great feel unfortunately they have a higher frequency pulsing or vibration that hasn't improved with use. I haven't figured out whether it's a product of the frame/fork, rotor, pads, or a combination of the above. It comes from both the front and rear so I don't think it's due to the fork. Any one else have this problem?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    i appreciate the feedback on the bike as i'm patiently awaiting my frameset. i planned to do 11 speed 105 with a 46/36t up front. it seems like it'd be slightly better for the scenario you're describing but i can't help but second guess adopting 11 speed. 11 speed disc hubs with 135 spacing aren't nearly as prevalent as 9/10 so that comes at a premium.

mtbr member
    Hey emat, can you tell me what your seat height is in those pictures? BB center to top of saddle?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Anybody know when the next batch of 60cm will show up??

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Anyone know if the frame will clear a 29x2" tire? I've got my frame on order from my LBS, have a wheelset ready but haven't decided on what tires to run. Was thinking either a fast rolling 29x2" or something like the Surly Knard 700x41.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    Anyone know if the frame will clear a 29x2" tire? I've got my frame on order from my LBS, have a wheelset ready but haven't decided on what tires to run. Was thinking either a fast rolling 29x2" or something like the Surly Knard 700x41.
    Yes, when I had my frame I built it up with Schwalbe Big Bens 29x2. They fit fine, but major wheel - toe overlap which may not be so much of a factor with a larger frame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Awesome, thank you. My rides tend to go something like: pavement, dirt road, pavement, singletrack, gravel, pavement then turn around and repeat. I don't think there is a "correct" tire.

A God Without A Name
    Yeah, I'm running fat franks front and rear with room to spare. It's pretty great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    Awesome, thank you. My rides tend to go something like: pavement, dirt road, pavement, singletrack, gravel, pavement then turn around and repeat. I don't think there is a "correct" tire.
    I tried some WTB Nano's 2.2 but the knobbies rubbed the bottom of the fork crown, otherwise, they would of fit.

Ah...the endless quest for the perfect enduro tire. The Big Bens are almost perfect IMO except...except for one important element: they don't look the part!

LDX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mojak View Post
    Im not sure though, just asking coz contemplating between this or the all city macho disc..

I would prefer the taller ht of the 54 but am afraid it will be too long on the ett at 565mm..all city have a 130mm ht on a 550mm ett..im 5"8' btw.
    Did you ever buy your Soma Wolverine? I'm also 5'8" and prefer to go with the largest frame possible. The ETT shouldn't be an issue for me as I plan to use moustache bars to keep upright. Suggestions?

mtbr member
    Question about buying a frame and building it up without riding it.

My Fuji Cross is a 54 (fits great), but the Wolverine ETT in size 52, is very close (2mm longer), and the only really (probably) noticeable difference in geo would be the seat tube (The Fuji is 2cm taller), and a few mms or half a degree here or there.

How does that 2cm shorter seat tube on the Wolverine change the ride, or will it?
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast