mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Soma Wolverine Builds

It's taken many months more than I had expected, but it's finally finished. Firstly, if you're dismayed I didn't keep the frame orange (like so many other new bikes this fall), I don't care. I wanted mine blue. It's been powder coated with RAL 5003 if anyone wants to know.

It rides great. It's feels lighter and more lively than the cross check I previously owned. This is a 54cm frame. Some components include 11 speed 105 drivetrain. TRP HY/RD disc brakes. The wheels are made up of King R45 hubs in pewter, velocity Blunt SL rims, and 38mm Compass Barlow Pass tires. I've got it set up for commuting in a wet weather and thankfully, the rack and fender struts all fit together without a hitch over the brakes. I've still got to fine tune that fender line, but it's functional for now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Soma Wolverine Builds-img_0477.jpg  

Soma Wolverine Builds-pb160062.jpg  

Soma Wolverine Builds-pb160068.jpg  

Soma Wolverine Builds-pb160069.jpg  

Soma Wolverine Builds-pb160071.jpg  

Soma Wolverine Builds-pb160075.jpg  

Last edited by emat; 1 Week Ago at 11:21 AM. Reason: added frame size

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Of interest to anyone planning to use fenders on this frame with an 11 speed 105 FD is that the derailleur arm came into contact with the fender with the chain in the big ring. These a 51mm fluted VO fenders, but I'm not sure it would be any different with a smaller width. Decided to solve this problem by banging a dent into the fender. The dent comes nowhere near the tire and unless you'r looking for it you can barely notice it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Soma Wolverine Builds-img_0533.jpg  

mtbr member
    Blue looks good. Mine is still on the boat...should be here in a couple of weeks. I'm thinking I might repaint mine as well. I really like the orange, but I have a set of S&S couplers Ill be brazing on so I'll have to sand some paint off anyway. I have laced up a Rohloff disc and Son 28 disc to DT Swiss TK 540's running Schwalbe Big Bens. Drops with the Giles Rohloff shifter and TRP HY/RD. I'll post pics of the build when the frame comes in.

I'm coming from a new Salsa Fargo (blue). I like it with WTB drops, but climbing is a PIA. Most of my commute is hilly so I'm hoping the wolverine geo will help with that.

Thanks for starting this post BTW.

A God Without A Name
    That blue looks phenomenal! I won't be refinishing my bike any time soon, but one day the finish will be worn enough to necessitate it. I'll go crazy at that time.

If I ever get any half decent photos of my Wolverine in it's current arrangement, I'll make sure to post them here.

mtbr member

Rohloff and Schmidt SON Wheel set for Wolverine

I built the Rohloff wheel today...still waiting on the frame to arrive. The Schmidt is still on my Fargo.

Soma Wolverine Builds-img_20141128_215948.jpgSoma Wolverine Builds-img_20141128_220056.jpg