Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Wanna ride bikes?
    ^ looks cool. Just curious, what RD and shifter are you using?
    Rigid SS 29er
    Hardtail 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks! Its a Microshift 11spd bar end MTB ratio shifter mated to an XT rd. Awesome combo, works perfectly without any adaptors.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggus Duckus View Post
    Here's my latest build

Very sharp! What size tires are you running and what width rim are they mounted on?

mtbr member
    My recent tour, build up on Friday, start tour on Sunday.

Soma Wolverine Builds-wolvie-tour01.jpgSoma Wolverine Builds-wolvie-tour02.jpgSoma Wolverine Builds-wolvie-tour03.jpg
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by WarPigs View Post
    My recent tour, build up on Friday, start tour on Sunday.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wolvie tour01.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	138.0 KB 
ID:	1163663Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wolvie tour02.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	136.6 KB 
ID:	1163664Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wolvie tour03.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	137.6 KB 
ID:	1163665

Looks good! Are those the 50mm Cazaderos?

mtbr member
    nopes, the 42mm Cazadero, offroad is ok on some smooth black diamond trails, I push my bike down the gnarly rock garden.Soma Wolverine Builds-wolvie-chestnut-north.jpg

Switchback Prince
    Soma Wolverine Builds-dsc_0486.jpgSoma Wolverine Builds-dsc_0489.jpgSoma Wolverine Builds-dsc_0492.jpgSoma Wolverine Builds-dsc_0496.jpgSoma Wolverine Builds-dsc_0490.jpg
    Last edited by Windjammer; 11-10-2017 at 08:12 PM.
    "Must silence the discord!"
    -System Shock 2 Zombie

Wanna ride bikes?
    ^ Nice setup! I just ordered my Wolverine frame, and my SS wheels I recently built have Blue hubs. I was thinking about doing some more Blue stuff but I have no intention if trying to compete with that! I dig it though
    Rigid SS 29er
    Hardtail 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    I just ordered my Wolverine frame
    What convinced you to go with the frame after all? I was selling bikes to make place for a wolverine, but then the whole broken rear-triangle-thing happened. Iíve not reached the point were Iím convinced since I have a few alternatives but all are different bikes..

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by almlof View Post
    What convinced you to go with the frame after all? I was selling bikes to make place for a wolverine, but then the whole broken rear-triangle-thing happened. Iíve not reached the point were Iím convinced since I have a few alternatives but all are different bikes..
    My love of the Monstercross genre, nice steel tubing, ample tire clearance, and the new version 2.1 has braces at the back which should eliminate the cracking issue. It looks like SS adjustment will be more of a pain, I just hope they left room to get a wrench in there. I break frames a lot, apparently, so if it fails I hope they stand behind it. Only one way to find out
    Rigid SS 29er
    Hardtail 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    My love of the Monstercross genre, nice steel tubing, ample tire clearance, and the new version 2.1 has braces at the back which should eliminate the cracking issue. It looks like SS adjustment will be more of a pain, I just hope they left room to get a wrench in there. I break frames a lot, apparently, so if it fails I hope they stand behind it. Only one way to find out
    The braces just looks awful to me, but if they could prevent the cracking thing, well thatís great. One would hope if that wasnít the case, Soma fab would pull the frame.. f it, I think Iíll get on as well. The only thing holding me back is that I donít wanna go higher than size 58.. but I probably should.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyStein View Post
    So I fitted a Rawland Raidoverks Rando Rack on the front on my Wolverine today - I can dig it! It's a very sturdy small rack that should hold a basket, small bag, or 6 pack pretty easily.
    Attachment 1163561
    Attachment 1163562
    Quote Originally Posted by Windjammer View Post

Name:	DSC_0486.jpg 
Views:	468 
Size:	223.7 KB 
ID:	1166848Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0489.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	1166849Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0492.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	145.5 KB 
ID:	1166850Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0496.jpg 
Views:	451 
Size:	206.2 KB 
ID:	1166851Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0490.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	1166864
    Nice build! Are those Hope calipers mated to Sram hydro levers? I like the belt drive idea, haven't seen many Wolverines setup that way, but I can dig it.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The issue is the dropouts, not the chainstays. The braces don't do anything.

Switchback Prince
    Hi, yep it's sram hydro rival mated to Hope calipers. I removed the shifter from the levers. A soma wolverine was simply one of the few non-custom options for a versatile steel belt drive single speed. My understanding of the drop-out or chainstay issue is people sliding the drop-outs past the chainstay length limit specified by soma--440mm--and so soma had to add the ugly gussets because stupid.
    -System Shock 2 Zombie

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Yeah, the braces look pretty silly, and don't look like they would really fix the problem. If SOMA didn't want people to slide the dropouts all the way back, they shouldn't have designed it to slide that far back. Oh well, can't change the design once it's built. I'm curious what portion of frames sold have broken...? Wondering how at risk I am...

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Yeah, the braces look pretty silly, and don't look like they would really fix the problem. If SOMA didn't want people to slide the dropouts all the way back, they shouldn't have designed it to slide that far back. Oh well, can't change the design once it's built. I'm curious what portion of frames sold have broken...? Wondering how at risk I am...
    So are you saying when the drop outs are maxed out there is too much stress on the welds? That makes sense..I don't run mine all the way back.....More like midway. I suppose the same could be said for all their bikes as my B Side has the same set up. I don't run them all the way back either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Windjammer View Post
    Hi, yep it's sram hydro rival mated to Hope calipers. I removed the shifter from the levers. A soma wolverine was simply one of the few non-custom options for a versatile steel belt drive single speed.
    That's a pretty neat trick - well done. I didn't think about mixing levers and calipers to get to a specific combo.

Switchback Prince
    there's not much of a choice. only sram or shimano are compatible, and the caliper has to match. I like sram fine, but the hope fittings and hoses don't fit the sram lever. I'm not sure if shimano would be any different in that regard. The sram lever feels great with this caliper, and attaching it is actually very simple.
    -System Shock 2 Zombie

#THELEGEND
    Quote Originally Posted by iowamtb View Post
    So are you saying when the drop outs are maxed out there is too much stress on the welds? That makes sense..I don't run mine all the way back.....More like midway. I suppose the same could be said for all their bikes as my B Side has the same set up. I don't run them all the way back either.
    Soma's issue is sliding the dropouts all the way back allowed riders to use 2.0-2.2 mtb tires and ride the bike more aggressively, outside of its designed parameters which caused breakage.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    #THELEGEND
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5C
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail

mtbr member
    That's still a lousy design. If the dropouts can slide that far, they should be designed to take that stress.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford View Post
    Soma's issue is sliding the dropouts all the way back allowed riders to use 2.0-2.2 mtb tires and ride the bike more aggressively, outside of its designed parameters which caused breakage.

mtbr member
    May 2014

AHHHH well maybe that's why I haven't had any trouble. Honestly I slid my drop outs back for this reason but I noticed with the hour glass flare of the chain stay, it looks like a larger tire will only fit if you run it in the middle. If you slide it all the way back, the middle of your tires sidewall will be riding right where the narrowest part of the chain stay crosses it. I want the fattest part of the tire to ride in the "lightbulb" looking area of the stay. Not sure if this makes sense but it does if you look at the bike. Besides that I don't take this bike crazy off roading. I just ride gravel on both my bikes and if any single track is in the plan I take my B Side.

Wanna ride bikes?
    I just ordered a new 2.1 version with the ugly braces. I promise to pound the snot out of this thing. I seem to have a knack for breaking stuff, frames included, so we'll see how it holds up.

I ride my poor cross bike on some very punishing single track (for a cross bike). I definitely take it places it was never meant to go. The new Wolverine will take it's place for off-road shenanigans.

I agree the braces are a band-aid on a poor design. We'll see how it holds up.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Hardtail 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    That's still a lousy design. If the dropouts can slide that far, they should be designed to take that stress.
    Fully agree.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

This. I fit 2.25 Nine Lines on mine. They barely squeezed between the stays, and I certainly wouldn't ride it in the mud like this (not again anyway). That said, those huge tires took all the off-road fun of this bike completely away. It's just a big luxo liner commuter now. The tires forced an increased chainstay length, which increased the overall wheelbase, and also impacted the trail - the combination of these made it super stable and comfy, but took all of the "twitch" out of it.
    Last edited by SpeedyStein; 11-18-2017 at 09:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    AHHHH well maybe that's why I haven't had any trouble. Honestly I slid my drop outs back for this reason but I noticed with the hour glass flare of the chain stay, it looks like a larger tire will only fit if you run it in the middle. If you slide it all the way back, the middle of your tires sidewall will be riding right where the narrowest part of the chain stay crosses it. I want the fattest part of the tire to ride in the "lightbulb" looking area of the stay. Not sure if this makes sense but it does if you look at the bike. Besides that I don't take this bike crazy off roading. I just ride gravel on both my bikes and if any single track is in the plan I take my B Side.
    It does make sense, but I needed mine all the way back for clearance with the chainstay bridge. I suppose it would probably depend on the tire too... With a flatter crown, they could probably be run further forward. The Happy Medium or Riddler come to mind- file tread center and knobby outsides.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Using a thru axle wheel would help, however they do not offer a compatible dropout that is covered under warranty.

mtbr member
    Bikepacking on the soma is still preferred over my mountain bike

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2009

New IRD Dropouts

Soma Wolverine Builds-ird_dropout.jpg

I saw some pictures of the next wolverine prototype leaked on Instagram recently and it looks like someone at IRD finally got around to designing a new sliding dropout tab. If you ask me this should have happened a year ago, but at least they've admitted the old design had some problems. I assume they'll offer thru axle tabs as well, although it looks like the same dropouts so you should still be able to run Paragon parts too. Hopefully they will start producing these right away, but realistically I would guess they wont show up on frames for at least 6 to 8 months.

Wanna ride bikes?
    ^ ugh, I just bought the new version with the brace. I probably would have waited had I known, where was this post 3 weeks ago???? JK

Good to see they have a new design, if mine cracks I hope they replace it with that ^.

It's a lot better looking than the stupid brace on my frame. Plus it slightly interferes with the adjustment screw. Oh well.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Hardtail 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Those drouputs look quite a bit different than the current Wolverine dropouts. The seatstay attaches at mid-sliding part, vice at the front like the current one. They only have one eyelet, vice two. I really like that the chainstay attaches slightly lower than the dropout, which will hopefully reduce chainslap by getting it further from the chain. Mine drove me nuts unitl I put on a clutch derailleur.

One improvement that hopefully happened - increase space between non drove side sliding part and the eyelet. I have a rear rack to carry my kids baby seat on the rear of my wolverine, and aboslutely hate how if I have the dropouts anywhere except all the way back, I can't put a nut of the back of the eyey for extra security.

Honestly though, the best improvement they could make is to use a regular standard dropout. It would solve all the design problems with the sliding dropout. I know it would single out the single speed and IGH guys, but would make it a better bike for the rest of us. Maybe make both types?

mtbr member
    That's a lot better design. It now looks a lot like the Spot Rocker dropout, where the loads aren't nearly as cantilevered out there:

Soma Wolverine Builds-rockerss29_01_2x.jpg

mtbr member
    so what is the difference in the wheelbase length?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Those drouputs look quite a bit different than the current Wolverine dropouts. The seatstay attaches at mid-sliding part, vice at the front like the current one. They only have one eyelet, vice two. I really like that the chainstay attaches slightly lower than the dropout, which will hopefully reduce chainslap by getting it further from the chain. Mine drove me nuts unitl I put on a clutch derailleur.

One improvement that hopefully happened - increase space between non drove side sliding part and the eyelet. I have a rear rack to carry my kids baby seat on the rear of my wolverine, and aboslutely hate how if I have the dropouts anywhere except all the way back, I can't put a nut of the back of the eyey for extra security.

Honestly though, the best improvement they could make is to use a regular standard dropout. It would solve all the design problems with the sliding dropout. I know it would single out the single speed and IGH guys, but would make it a better bike for the rest of us. Maybe make both types?
    So basically this? Or do you also want thru axles?

Soma Wolverine Builds-soma_sagadisc_graphite_wfork_1200.jpg

mtbr member
    DC have less clearance for tires

Wanna ride bikes?
    No sliders? I wouldn't have bought this frame without sliders, or some way to tension a chain. Track ends work too. My most recent SS has Paragon swingers/rockers. There's no adjustment screw for fine adjustments when centering the wheel, but it works just fine and is supposed to be the strongest according to my frame builder.

TA's would be a welcome addition. 12mm front and rear please. Not a deal breaker though, I'll be using bolt on hubs.

While we're making requests that will never happen, can I have a 44mm headtube too?
    Rigid SS 29er
    Hardtail 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by WarPigs View Post
    DC have less clearance for tires
    I bet they kill the DC next year. Nobody is buying loaded touring frames with rim brakes these days.

"Our robust Saga Disc frame set is ready to take you on adventures all over the planet, It is purposely designed to ride better loaded up than naked. This updated version now fits tires up to 2.1", but the 700c models will longer fit road triple cranks. We recommend using MTB triples or doubles, which make more sense more cyclists go to wider, more sure-footed tires. - Specially chosen Tange Prestige heat-treated CrMo tubing; 31.8mm butted downtube and top tube for a stiffer front triangle. Larger frames have slightly thicker gauge tubing."

Saga Disc Frame Set | SOMA Fabrications

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Sounds like the Salsa Marrakesh

mtbr member
    Hey folks, haven't checked in on this thread in quite a while. 2.5 years now on my Wolverine and going strong. I'm wanting to add a rear rack, preferably one that's powder coated black and not ridiculously expensive... Anybody have any advice for what works or what to avoid? I'm running TRP mechanical brakes, no fenders... if either of those matter for fitment. Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan Bacon View Post
    I bet they kill the DC next year. Nobody is buying loaded touring frames with rim brakes these days.

"Our robust Saga Disc frame set is ready to take you on adventures all over the planet, It is purposely designed to ride better loaded up than naked. This updated version now fits tires up to 2.1", but the 700c models will longer fit road triple cranks. We recommend using MTB triples or doubles, which make more sense more cyclists go to wider, more sure-footed tires. - Specially chosen Tange Prestige heat-treated CrMo tubing; 31.8mm butted downtube and top tube for a stiffer front triangle. Larger frames have slightly thicker gauge tubing."

Saga Disc Frame Set | SOMA Fabrications

I am slightly surprised they kept the Saga... since there seems to be a lot of overlap between the new Saga and the Wolverine. Geo is a fair bit different, the Saga seems to have a more upright fit. I am very curious about the tubing spec of one vs the other. I would love to ride them back to back with the same kit, just to see how fit/feel is between them. Kinda surprised how long the chainstays are on the Saga too - 450mm is really long, even for a touring bike. I guess that is how they can promise 29x2.1 will fit, and still be able to run a double crankset.

To answer your earlier question - It depends.

If my chainstays broke next week, and SOMA was warrantying my frame, I would probably ask for a Double Cross instead of a Wolverine. The decision point would be tough, because I like being able to run bigger tires. If I could be sure the WTB Resolute tires would fit in the Double Cross with proper clearance, that would definitely be my choice. However, all reports I hear about those tires is they plump to a bit larger than the advertised 42mm... which means I would be getting really close to the clearances advertised for the Double Cross, and I don't really want smaller tires than those.

If I was building a new bike from scratch, I would look for a design optimized for a range of 700x40 to 700x60 tires, thru axles (15mm front 12mm rear), roughly the same dimensions as the wolverine but with a slightly longer headtube, slightly shorter chainstays, slightly higher BB, and much stiffer fork than original Wolverine. Better braze on locations are also needed.

More on braze ons:
    1. The cable stop on the chainstay on my Wolverine drives me nuts. I am always rubbing my heel on the cable. Put it directly on the bottom, not on the side!
    2. I love having two sets of braze ons on the fork, but put them close enough together to put a bottle cage on them. That way, run a top and/or low rider rack, or run two extra bottles/anything cages.
    3. The top tube rear brake cable run kinda sucks - I wish it was on the downtube. I know, with the brake on the outside of the chainstay, it had to go there for clean cabling.
    4. The bottle cage bolts are awfully low in the frame triangle. I had a hard time finding two cages that would fit there together - the two I originally had would not. I know, frame bag clearance and all... but if I am running a frame bag, I am probably not running bottle cages. Moving just one of them 3mm further up would make it a lot easier to fit two bottle cages without them rubbing together.

On the tire size: I ride mostly pavement. Rough, Oakland pavement. I ride through parts of town where I really don't want a flat tire. When I do ride offroad on this bike, I tend to ride dry, dusty, cow/weather pocked fire roads - bumpy is an understatement sometimes. That's why I run 29 x 2.25 Ninelines on my Wolverine now - give me all the float I can fit, without huge knobs to slow me down on the road. I would love to squeeze those tires into a bike with just slightly shorter chainstays and a smidge less BB drop to make it just a tad more fun with tires that big.

Anyway, I guess that is the inner workings of my mind and the bike I would be most in love with. I will be honest, I get a lot more time to think about my bike than I do to ride it. I spend 6-7 months deployed every year, and I usually travel quite a bit when I'm not deployed. I average roughly 1500 miles/year between 3 bikes, and the Wolverine gets the lion's share of those miles on my commute. It does the job of 3 bikes, and this versatility is why I built it in the first place. It commutes, it does mixed terrain rides, and it goes around the neighborhood with my kids, usually with my daughter riding in the baby seat on the back. For all of those jobs, it performs admirably.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    Hey folks, haven't checked in on this thread in quite a while. 2.5 years now on my Wolverine and going strong. I'm wanting to add a rear rack, preferably one that's powder coated black and not ridiculously expensive... Anybody have any advice for what works or what to avoid? I'm running TRP mechanical brakes, no fenders... if either of those matter for fitment. Thanks in advance!

I have the Blackburn EX-1 on mine, TRP Spyres, no fenders. It fits very well. With the sliders all the way back, I can fit a nut on the inside of the eyelet for extra security. With the sliders further forward, there isn't clearance for a nut.

https://www.blackburndesign.com/rack...ex-1-rack.html

Pretty basic, nearly bulletproof. I use this one because it fits my daughters co-pilot baby seat. It also works very well with panniers, trunks, etc.

Soma Wolverine Builds-wolverine.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    How my bike got so dirty for the picture above!
    Soma Wolverine Builds-wolverine2.jpg
    Soma Wolverine Builds-wolverine3.jpg

Lyt
    mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Hi,

I'm planning on building up a wolverine with 700c x 48mm Soma Supple Vitesse Ex tubeless tires. Can anyone recommend some fenders that will fit with these tires? What's the maximum sized fenders that will fit in the Wolverine?

Wanna ride bikes?
    So apparently Soma announced the V3.0 frame will soon be available with the new dropouts and no ugly braces.

I'm thrilled personally. I love that my new frame is obsolete before it's even built.

Awesome.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Hardtail 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho1 View Post
    Bikepacking on the soma is still preferred over my mountain bike

I bikepacked once on my Wolvie. It rode so nice. The issue I have is I don't have much seat to tire clearance. In other words my seat post is not extended very high. On my MTB though I have the post extended really high so I could squeeze a car tire behind the seat if I wanted to lol.

mtbr member
    Planning on getting a wolverine frame. Looking to run 29x2.00 tires. my understanding the lugged fork has clearance for 2.00. Does the soma carbon fork fit a 2.00? Does anyone run another carbon fork that will take 2.00 to 2.2 29er tires?

Wanna ride bikes?
    The Soma Carbon Gravel fork only clears 40c tires.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Hardtail 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    I bikepacked once on my Wolvie. It rode so nice. The issue I have is I don't have much seat to tire clearance. In other words my seat post is not extended very high. On my MTB though I have the post extended really high so I could squeeze a car tire behind the seat if I wanted to lol.
    I have tons of space, less space on my mountain bike.. And the soma handles the weight really nice

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The new V3.0 is now up on Soma's website.
    Wolverine v.3.0 Frame | SOMA Fabrications

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rzldzl View Post
    The new V3.0 is now up on Soma's website.
    Wolverine v.3.0 Frame | SOMA Fabrications
    Pretty cool!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm currently debating a few bikes but a Wolverine is on the list. I plan to run a 1X drivetrain, is there any chain ring clearance issues? I'm also strongly considering a Double Cross.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ALS650L View Post
    I'm currently debating a few bikes but a Wolverine is on the list. I plan to run a 1X drivetrain, is there any chain ring clearance issues? I'm also strongly considering a Double Cross.
    No. I ran a 42 no problems

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I have an ultegra crankset on mine, originally with 46-36, now with 40t wolf tooth elliptical, no issues whatsoever. Could probably run a 44t or 46t wolf tooth without issue, and they are offset inboard quite a bit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have an ultegra crankset on mine, originally with 46-36, now with 40t wolf tooth elliptical, no issues whatsoever. Could probably run a 44t or 46t wolf tooth without issue, and they are offset inboard quite a bit.
    I was thinking since such large road doubles would fit that a pretty large single would be fine. I couldn't find any mention of max size but saw posts with folks running in the 36-40 range.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I was thinking since such large road doubles would fit that a pretty large single would be fine. I couldn't find any mention of max size but saw posts with folks running in the 36-40 range.
    I think it would depend on chainline, and whether you mounted a single to the inside or outside of the spider.

Soma Wolverine Builds-20180114_104209.jpg

That's at the most oval part of my chainring, and it has about 5mm from the chainstay perpendicular to the chainline, and at least 8 or so parallel with the chainline, if that makes sense. Again, ultegra crank with wolf tooth ring, so my chainline is somewhat between inner and outer rings on standard road double. With a race face or other ring that doesn't offset inboard, you could definitely use a much larger ring.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I ran a race face crankset with a 38 tooth in the middle position no problem. I upgraded to s Sram Rival crankset with a 42 round and it too was no problem. Currently on the Rival set I have a Wolf Tooth 36 oval

A God Without A Name
    I ran a Stylo MTB crank with 46t in the center ring. One driveside spacer in the bottom bracket. It cleared.

Warrantied my frameset. hope to have the new one here in a week or two. Went with pearl black.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Agwan View Post
    Warrantied my frameset. hope to have the new one here in a week or two. Went with pearl black.
    Dang, did you have the dreaded chainstay snap? Or some other issue? You had yours for a long time, did Soma give you a hard time about the warranty claim?

A God Without A Name
    Mine didn't snap, but it was one of the first 100 they ever built. So it's at a really high risk. But the paint started falling off the decals almost immediately after I got it. It flaked off really bad at the sliders and rack mounts. My seat tube was 27.3+ and the post kept slipping. And the sliders weren't aligned.

Still loved the bike. but the eventual crack that was coming my way made it all too much. Mary didn't reply to my Emails... much as the person before her didn't either. So I called her, once I got her on the line She was very polite and I was well taken care of. She even helped me by sizing my frame up a size, as I've lost a lot of weight since I first bought the Wolverine, and now ride a larger frame.

Knock on wood, because I don't have my replacement frame yet, but my old frame won't even get to them until 1/17 ish.

For now I'm on another Straggler, which we joke about. because my last 4 bikes will now be...

Black Straggler (Warrantied for VERY crooked drop outs)
    Orange Wolverine (Warrantied for many things)
    Mint Straggler (Still going strong.)
    Black Wolverine (Incoming.)

In the long run the Straggler will be my flat bar shorter distance tank, and the Wolverine will be my drop bar long commute-Short tourer. I intend to keep both for very different tasks.

I really miss my Wolverine. I'll be happy to get it back, minus the worries the old frame gave me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Yeah, I've noticed the paint on mine isn't too durable, but at least the places that have chipped off have been my own fault. My dropouts are also about 1/8 of an inch off from one another, but I can still get the wheel straight and even between the stays, and it rolls straight, so not a big deal to me. The seat tube would be very frustrating.

I hope your luck improves on your next one! The new black looks great too!

#THELEGEND

GREAT NEWS - Soma now has 12mm dropouts for Wolverine

So I just got an email follow up on one I sent back in Dec 2017 inquiring about 12mm dropouts, telling me that Soma now has 12mm dropouts for the Wolverine frames. Dropouts will fit V1-current and come in Shimano or DT Swiss axle flavors.

Call 1-800-245-9959 to order

Soma Wolverine Builds-complete.jpg
    #THELEGEND
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5C
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail

Wanna ride bikes?
    ^ UUGGHH. I just placed an order for a fancy bolt on hub yesterday. The hits just keep coming.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Hardtail 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    ^ UUGGHH. I just placed an order for a fancy bolt on hub yesterday. The hits just keep coming.
    Dang, sorry to hear that. Is your hub convertible?

In similar vein, the Paragon sliders fit in the Wolverine dropouts also... Soma used to list the part numbers on their website.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Yes it's convertible, it's a Hadley Ti bolt on hub, but I'm not buying new dropouts and a conversion kit. It will be just fine the way it is, I just hate that I missed all this by a few weeks and it's all changing before I have the damn thing built.

It will be just fine though, it won't be different enough that I'm willing to do anything about it at this point. Unless the frame breaks, then I hope I'll get a free new one, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Hardtail 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

A God Without A Name
    I did the paragon 12mm axle. It was pretty fantastic. Upgraded with titanium hardware. Probably a reason why my Wolverine hadn't cracked yet.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I wish I could upgrade my hub, I would have a thru axle setup on there tomorrow, along with the thru axle fork to match. But, old XT hubs can't be converted. Oh well. I have my wish list for my next bike, should something happen to this one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    So after a few rides on the WTB Resolutes, I'm pretty convinced that these tires were made for the Wolverine. Excellent tires on every surface. They roll fast on pavement, dirt, gravel, mud, you name it. Traction is incredible in all situations. Corners well on both dirt and pavement, no weird transition between knobs or squirm. The more I ride these tires, the more I love them.

And they look the business with the tanwall! And I can slide the dropouts all the way forward!

Soma Wolverine Builds-20180120_165859.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Did you go with the Venturemax bars?

mtbr member
    How did I not see this thread until now? So awesome!

Soma Wolverine Builds-img_20180324_140315071.jpg

Was experimenting with a 26" Trigon carbon fork. They fit the 42mm Soma Cazaderos fine.

Love this frame, I have like 4 wheelsets for it. LOL.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm looking for a new bike to replace the Salsa Fargo I've sold a while back. I've been eying on a Wolverine for a possible contender. Want a bike that's fun and fast off road (nothing crazy, mostly gravel and light singletrack), but has a more 'aggressive', roadbike-like geometry.

BUT, I also want to have it as my touring bike, so it has to be able to take (biggish) loads. I wonder how the Wolverine handles loads. Has anyone used it in a full touring setup (front + rear racks/panniers)? How does it handle? Is it (frame as well as the fork) stiff enough?

The All-City Gorilla Monsoon is also a bike I've looked at. It's quite a bit more expensive though and doesn't have sliding dropouts.

Any thoughts?
    ''Anybody who thinks wood isn't magnetic, hasn't ridden a bike in the forest.''

mtbr member
    Feb 2018

wolverine v3.0

just finished (more or less) my v3.0 wolverine, geared for climbing mountains in vermont with full loads and running compass snoqualmie pass tires tubeless for bombing down dirt roads, it's going to be a fun summer.

Soma Wolverine Builds-img_9686.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by apfrost View Post
    just finished (more or less) my v3.0 wolverine, geared for climbing mountains in vermont with full loads and running compass snoqualmie pass tires tubeless for bombing down dirt roads, it's going to be a fun summer.

Name:	IMG_9686.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	149.9 KB 
ID:	1189600
    B-E-A-UTIFUL! Full loads means front + rear racks? Any more pics of that piece of art? Why did you decide to opt for the 'normal' fork instead of the 15mm thru-axle fork?
    ''Anybody who thinks wood isn't magnetic, hasn't ridden a bike in the forest.''

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I have the soma deco rack for the rear, which I'm going to leave off until I have a longer trip planned. Right now, I think I can manage weekend trips between the saddle bag and the front rack, which will handle small front panniers.

went with the normal fork over the thru-axle both for looks (not in love with the uni-crown) and for the extra mounting options, as the thru-axle fork doesn't have the mini-rack mounts.

this feels like the perfect do everything bike, and these compass 700x44 tires are like riding on clouds!

the red doesn't photograph well, but it's perfect, slightly orangey in a nod to the previous generation, and super sharp

Soma Wolverine Builds-img_9690.jpg
    Soma Wolverine Builds-img_9692.jpg
    Soma Wolverine Builds-img_968.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Name:	IMG_9686.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	149.9 KB 
ID:	1189600
    Love the red with fat tanwalls - great looking build! I haven't ridden them yet, but I imagine those 44mm compass tires set up tubeless must ride absolutely heavenly on a Wolverine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    they're like cycling on a cloud

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    they're like cycling on a cloud
    I imagine they are. I would love to build up a second bike with those tires - if I didn't need knobs on the Wolverine I would have been on a set of those a while ago.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    which knobbies are you running? I've been thinking I should take the wheels off a mountain bike I don't ride and use them as a second set with knobs for the wolverine, but I just keep wishing that compass made their steilacoom in something wider than 38.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I'm running the WTB Resolutes in 700x42 on i23 rims. They are fantastic - light for a 42mm knobby, nice center tread for smooth and fast pavement rolling, nice little micro knobs for good all around grip, they look great with the tanish-rustish colored sidewalls, off-road traction is fantastic, and they setup tubeless super easily. Fantastic tire, perfect for an all around everywhere kinda bike. I ahvent had the chance to take them through any slick, slimy, deep mud yet, but I imagine they should do ok - will likely sink to the bottom and hook up where a true mtb tire would float and squirm. They are grippier in loose dirt than the Nobby Nics I just took off my mtb...

mtbr member
    which knobbies are you running? I've been thinking I should take the wheels off a mountain bike I don't ride and use them as a second set with knobs for the wolverine, but I just keep wishing that compass made their steilacoom in something wider than 38.
    Take a look at the tubeless version of the Soma Cazaderos. I think they are nominal 50mm.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I've been eyeballing both the cazadero and the resolute, they both seem like great tires for chunkier/offroad stuff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Like most of you already did, I've also started to build a Wolverine. It will be a belt drive! Keeping notes/photos of the build here: https://medium.com/building-a-soma-wolverine. Will post some pictures when I have a full bike to show! (Building the wheels atm)

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by LexD View Post
    Like most of you already did, I've also started to build a Wolverine. It will be a belt drive! Keeping notes/photos of the build here: https://medium.com/building-a-soma-wolverine. Will post some pictures when I have a full bike to show! (Building the wheels atm)
    Right on! Should be a fun build - I like that belt drive is an option on the Wolverine. Would make an awesome single speed/IGH commuter/tourer bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    nice!

my ultimate plan is to switch to belt drive and and alfine 11 for winter commuting--looking forward to seeing how your build comes together.

what shifters are you pairing with your hub?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I've been eyeballing both the cazadero and the resolute, they both seem like great tires for chunkier/offroad stuff.
    The Cazadero looks like a great tire. It has a little more of a pronounced center ridge, which makes me think it would roll pretty fast on the pavement. It is a little heavier than the Resolute, but on a bike like this, unless you ride everywhere unloaded, that probably won't be an issue.

I went with the Resolute simply because WTB tires are so easy to setup tubeless, especially on WTB rims. Of note - I have never burped a WTB tire, or had any sort of issue with tire/rim seal. The Resolute was designed to pair perfectly with a 23mm rim, and I am running WTB i23s - seemed too good to be true. Plus, they fit perfectly with the sliders all the way forward - a big bonus for me. I have about 300 miles on mine, and they are fast, everywhere. Dirt, road, gravel, sand, everywhere. They also have excellent grip, everywhere. On i23s, they are 42.5mm wide, at about 32psi.

Check out Guitar Ted's tire reviews - he has tested pretty much everything, and was a big influence in my decision making process with this. Not sure if he did a test of the 50mm Caz, but he did a good test of the 42.

WTB Resolute Tire: Getting Rolling -

Soma Fab's Cazadero 42mm Tires: Getting Rolling -

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    nice!

my ultimate plan is to switch to belt drive and and alfine 11 for winter commuting--looking forward to seeing how your build comes together.

what shifters are you pairing with your hub?
    I chose the Jtek bar end shifter! Read it's pretty solid and it gives me the option to run the cable under the bar tape. That, and price, are the reasons I took this one instead of the microshift brifter.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I chose the Jtek bar end shifter! Read it's pretty solid and it gives me the option to run the cable under the bar tape. That, and price, are the reasons I took this one instead of the microshift brifter.
    nice! I've been looking at that, it seems like the perfect combo for this bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    The Cazadero looks like a great tire. It has a little more of a pronounced center ridge, which makes me think it would roll pretty fast on the pavement. It is a little heavier than the Resolute, but on a bike like this, unless you ride everywhere unloaded, that probably won't be an issue.

I went with the Resolute simply because WTB tires are so easy to setup tubeless, especially on WTB rims. Of note - I have never burped a WTB tire, or had any sort of issue with tire/rim seal. The Resolute was designed to pair perfectly with a 23mm rim, and I am running WTB i23s - seemed too good to be true. Plus, they fit perfectly with the sliders all the way forward - a big bonus for me. I have about 300 miles on mine, and they are fast, everywhere. Dirt, road, gravel, sand, everywhere. They also have excellent grip, everywhere. On i23s, they are 42.5mm wide, at about 32psi.

Check out Guitar Ted's tire reviews - he has tested pretty much everything, and was a big influence in my decision making process with this. Not sure if he did a test of the 50mm Caz, but he did a good test of the 42.

WTB Resolute Tire: Getting Rolling -

Soma Fab's Cazadero 42mm Tires: Getting Rolling -
    that does sound like an ideal setup!

any second set is going to be on a wheelset that isn't tubeless ready (as that's the one I have lying around), but I'm thinking I'll give a tubeless setup anyway and see how it goes.

the guitar ted reviews are great, and I'm also thinking about the rock n road tires--http://www.bgcycles.com/new-page/

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Just finished my build and took it for a short spin

Soma Wolverine Builds-20180427_194928-01.jpg

Really happy with the result! Only job left is some work on the alfine hub: change the oil and sort out a cabling issue (had to do a few re-adjustments this short trip) and it'll be ready for lots and lotsof kms!
    Last edited by LexD; 04-28-2018 at 01:23 AM.

mtbr member
    So, I finally followed thru and bought a frame set. A 3.0 in pearl black. Kind of bugs me that the changed it, I think both colours in the 2.0/2.1 was better than the 3.0.
    Aaanyhow.
    I'm slowly gathering the bits and pieces but go stuck on a major issue. The cranks and the gears. I currently have a sram force 09 crank set that I was planning on using. But its 130bcd and I'm looking at going to the unpaved roads and a few single tracks, so I really want a smaller cog than 39t up front.
    I also have a older sram mtb crank set and I'm considering putting that on on instead.
    The gears was originally going to be 2x10 but now, with the crank set thing, I'm looking at a 1x11 group instead..
    Is this just superficial and should I be fine with the 130bcd crank set, say combined with a 11-36 cassette?

Wanna ride bikes?
    Is this just superficial and should I be fine with the 130bcd crank set, say combined with a 11-36 cassette?
    Yes, a 1x is a sweet setup depending on where you live and how you intend to use the bike. A 39x11-36 will cover a lot of terrain. You'll just want a clutch derailleur.

I have mine setup 42x11-42 10 speed.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Hardtail 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    depends on where your hills I think, but you could also just go with an 11-42 or something to get a little lower, depending on your rear derailleur choice

mtbr member
    Yes, a 1x is a sweet setup depending on where you live and how you intend to use the bike. A 39x11-36 will cover a lot of terrain. You'll just want a clutch derailleur.

I have mine setup 42x11-42 10 speed.
    What cassette are you running? My daily commuter is set up with 40x11-36 (10s), but I feel like Iím missing a lot of gears in between.
    The thing is I really dislike setting up front derailleurs. Never get them running smooth. So removing that issue would be awesome.
    Oooon the other hand, a new mini-group was not in my budget..

mtbr member
    depends on where your hills I think, but you could also just go with an 11-42 or something to get a little lower, depending on your rear derailleur choice
    I was looking at the spread of gears and realized that its on the lower cogs that the jumps feel to vast, and those are the same through out 11-36 10s and 11-42 11s. 11-42 10s has got even bigger jumps, naturally, so I think that's not gonna be an option. Running a dubble chain up front with 39t as the smallest almost seams redundant as I'm not very often finding the need to go faster than 40-11 allows me to. So I might stick with my tacky 40/11-36 for now and later on switch to 11s 42/10-42.
    Jees, how hard could it be, right?

Wanna ride bikes?
    I'm using a Shimano Deore 11-42t cassette. Cheap and durable. I actually much prefer bigger jumps. I'd even be just fine with 11-42 8 speed.

I also spend most of my time on SS's, so I'm not at all cadence sensitive. The less shifting the better.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Hardtail 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

A God Without A Name
    I do XT 11-42 on both my commuters. The short range bike has a 48t Narrow Wide and the long range has a 50-34 up front. If I had to do the short range bike again, I'd do 44x11-46. A small sacrifice in top end. But all the low anyone could ever need.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I also use the XT 11-42. It's pretty awesome. With big 29x2.2 tires, I used a 36t up front, now with the 42c Resolutes I have a 40t elliptical. It works excellent for everything I ride - keeping in mind I almost always have the mini rack on the front, and occasionally a basket too. I don't mind the jumps between cogs because I find myself usually at one end of the cassette or the other - either going up or down a hill, where gear range takes precendence over fine-tuning the cadence for me. Just the other day I hit 35mph on a paved descent, with the basket full of my commute. For this bike and that type of riding, that's plenty fast for my top end. If I wanna go faster I grab my other bike.

I do have a lot of love for Wolf Tooth's elliptical rings - they are great! My 40t climbs like a 38 and descends like a 42, and cadence feels good on the flat too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I love my Double Cross, but have been lusting after a Wolverine for a while now. How does the bike compare to a Salsa Fargo or Cutthroat?

Commuter/Tourer
    Had a Double Cross about 5 years ago. Rode it hard for 2-3 years. Max I could fit was 38mm tires with fenders and I really wanted bigger, cushier tires, so I got the Wolverine. I put Bruce Gordon Rock n Roads (700x42?) on there under fenders, and switched to the Compass Snoqualamie Pass (700x44) as soon as they came out. I really think the Wolverine is a better bike, specifically for 2 reasons: (1) larger tire clearance is way better for the riding I do and (2) the Wolverine fork is so vertically compliant and wonderfully flexy that the whole bike just planes better.

I know plenty of people will disagree, but thatís my take on the whole thing. If I could do it over again, I would have just bought a 650b wheelset and some Switchback Hills (650bx48), but this was the early days of 650b and I had no idea if it was a fad or would really stick around.

mtbr member
    Much different bike. The Fargo and cutthroat are a dropbar mountain bike. Very capable off road. I love my wolverine and ride it mostly on trails. It's faster than the cutthroat but much more challenging on single track than a cutthroat. The wolverine is a trail worthy road bike. The salsa offerings are a somewhat road worthy mountain bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by slowride454 View Post
    I love my Double Cross, but have been lusting after a Wolverine for a while now. How does the bike compare to a Salsa Fargo or Cutthroat?
    Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MindEyeSight View Post
    Had a Double Cross about 5 years ago. Rode it hard for 2-3 years. Max I could fit was 38mm tires with fenders and I really wanted bigger, cushier tires, so I got the Wolverine. .

The current Double Cross will fit up to a 45 without fenders according to Soma. That being said I have a set of WTB Resolute 42c on mine with fenders. The resolute measures over 43mm too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I've noticed a couple of people are running Tara Tubus low rider racks, how are the clearances with 650b?
    I have 2.2x27.5 Maxxis Ardent Race's, wondering If I'll get away with the normal or need the Big Apple version of the rack?
    Last edited by bkinsman; 05-13-2018 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Typo

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast