mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Soma vs Voodoo frame

I am looking to swap my stumpjumper m4 frame with a steel frame. Stumpy is too small and harsh for endurance racing, which I am just starting to get into. I have a fs bike but it's a 30lb trail bike and no good for endurance events. I have narrowed frame choice to a soma groove or voodoo hoodoo as they are in my price range. I believe the groove is prestige tubes for front triangle and 4130 rear.. The voodoo websitedoes not specify what tubes used for the hoodoo, just says it's not the same 853 used on the bizango. Anyone know what the hoodoo is mde of? Better yet, which bike wld you recommend? Aso, i would be using a 105mm fork. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The Voodoo appears to be made of 4130 cromo. It is about 0.25lbs. heavier than the Groove. Also keep in mind that the Groove is designed for an 80mm fork, so with a 100mm fork its going to have a little slower steering than the Voodoo which is designed for a 100mm fork. I think either frame would serve you well, but it really depends on how you want it to ride.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1