mtbr member

Soma Juice, rack compatibility?

I'm looking at the Soma Juice frame for an all-around commuter, bike-packer, light duty mountain bike. Do these frames have eyelets and stuff for mounting racks or is it a jimmy-rig sort of affair to get a rack on the rear triangle? Any info would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Last year's green frames had a double eyelet down on the dropouts. You can see them if you look closely here:

(note the Fargo fork, a must have for bike packing!)

However, they didn't have upper rack mounts on the seat stays. You can use either P clamps, or one of those seats collars with rack eyelets built into it.

One caveat is that these types of eyelets generally aren't recommended for racks and disc brakes--you need to use a spacer to clear the disc brake, and that puts too much torque on the eyelet, causing it to fail eventually. No issues with rim brakes...

The new silver frames look to have the same dropout design, but also a mount built into the seatstays.
    FS: Chinese carbony goodness, trade for a steel frame?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    One caveat is that these types of eyelets generally aren't recommended for racks and disc brakes--you need to use a spacer to clear the disc brake, and that puts too much torque on the eyelet, causing it to fail eventually. No issues with rim brakes...
    I have the same frame, and it appears that one might be able to run a rear disc brake and a normal rack, because the way the sliders offset the disc caliper inside of
    the chainstay. I haven't tried it yet, but it sure looks like a rack wouldn't hit my Avid BB7. I'm planning on trying a rear rack shortly, so I will reply with how it works when I do.

mtbr member
    That sounds interesting. I just put a disc brake on the rear of my Juice (for a stupid 26" wheeled experiment), so I'll have to see how it looks for a rack.

mtbr member
    Kudos to Rykoh, it does indeed look like a normal rack would work with the dropouts slid all the way rearward:

Last edited by seat_boy; 06-24-2013 at 04:09 AM.