mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Solstice Mountain Bikes!

Thought I would share with you all my new Solstice mountain bike!

I just had it delivered a week ago, and although I've only been able to go out for a few quick rides, I must say it truly is an amazing bike!

In it's current configuration, it's tipping the scales at just over 29lbs, which for an all mountain bike that's DH capable while still maintaining XC handling is quite impressive in my opinion. The low center of gravity and patented inverted 4 bar suspension really helps keep it on track on the technical runs, while the 160mm of rear travel and what seems to be a bomb-proof frame, absorbs the occasional trail side drop with ease.

I'm still putting it through it's tests, and dialing everything in, but so far so good. Anyone else on a Solstice here? I would love to get your thoughts, and feedback, good or bad...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Solstice Mountain Bikes!-sol1.jpg  

Solstice Mountain Bikes!-sol2.jpg  

Solstice Mountain Bikes!-sol3.jpg  

Solstice Mountain Bikes!-sol5.jpg  

Solstice Mountain Bikes!-sol4.jpg  

simple
    Pretty rare bike. I've heard they shred! Reminds me of my Maverick Durance. Got to love small Colorado companies! Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Any updates on the ride quality? Or maybe some comparisons? The weight is what intrigues me!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    In one word, the bikes a beast!

Having an AM fully DH capable bike that is a pleasure to ride XC is more then I could have asked for. It was always my understanding any bike with more then 4 inches of travel, and the added weight of AM / DH components, would be a dog in the XC arena, but the Solstice proved that wrong for me. It's just as fast going up as it is going down.

Comparison wise, I really haven't had that many different bikes to give a detailed report on. I did own a Santa Cruz Heckler R AM build prior, and in short the Heckler never gave me the confidence to go faster and hit the trails harder as the Solstice does. I felt somewhat limited on the Heckler, as it was a decent XC bike, but proved to be a little rough in the AM / DH arena. The Heckler in it's factory R AM build also weighed in at almost 5lbs more then the Solstice. I found myself constantly trying to tweak and dial in the Heckler, with little to no satisfaction.

The Solstice on the other hand has been very responsive, and I feel as though I can fine tune my riding experience with less effort and greater results.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Nice! Thanks for the info. I was looking at the Reign X0 but the weight @ 35lbs~ made me think twice while the Trance didn't seem to be suited for much DH. Looks like this bike is a nice compromise between comfortable XC and DH capable.

I see it runs a braze-on front deraileur? What does your drive-train consist of? It looks like 2x10 but what gearing are you running?

Also, what rear shock?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yes its a 2x10 drivetrain with 38/24 chain rings and 11-36 rear cassette. The front derailer is a 2011 SRAM Force, rear derailer is a 2011 SRAM X.0 alloy/carbon, shifters are 2011 SRAM X.9 triggers, crank is a 2011 SRAM X.7 175mm with a SRAM GXP bottom bracket...

The rear shock is a custom tuned Rockshox Monarch RT3 high volume can, which is included with the Solstice frame.

As for the weight, here's what the website says....

" 28 lb. do it all bike, no problem. 27 lbs, sure thing. Everything you need, nothing you donít. "

I think that pretty much says it all!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    DucatiGuy,

I've only seen one review on the Solstice from Mountain Flyer. If you don't mind my asking, what was the price for the frame/shock from Solstice?

Mike

mtbr member
    I ride one up in New England, I think I'm still the only one up here that has one. They ride awesome, they climb very well for a 160mm AM bike, and they bomb down even better. I'm glad I found Chuck and his Solstice mountain bike, his customer service is the best.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Solstice Mountain Bikes!-img_1297.jpg  

Solstice Mountain Bikes!-img_1299.jpg  

Solstice
    TBC TransAm

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'm curious on the price as well.

mtbr member
    I have always had a thing for those bikes! Would love to see how it rides compared to my mojo hd

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The frame / shock from Solstice will set you back around $1700...

mtbr member
    That's really not that bad- if the customer service is there it can be a deal

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thank you for replying regarding the price. I was looking to put together a build around this bike, and it seems that it's just about impossible to beat for spec/weight/price. I'm glad both of you are enjoying yours!

Mike

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just in case you're both still following this - I was wondering if you had to have the head tube or bottom bracket faced as part of your assembly process?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Being that I didn't personally take part in the actual build process, or see the frame "bare bones" prior to completion, I'm not sure if the surfaces required facing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    There's a buildup thread in Bike and Frame discussion, to which I'm not allowed to post links, but it looks like it comes with the bottom-bracket faced and the headset cups already pressed in.

Very encouraging, just need to save a bit more before starting a build...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    jesus rides a fixed gear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well, my build got out of hand (and we got no bonus this year at work,) so I had to abandon the Solstice for the time being. Though I suspect I'll definitely want to try a frame out in the not-too-distant future!

Thanks everyone for the help, though. :-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Sorry to hear that... Hopefully you'll be able to build one up real soon!