Thread: Slacker XCL

Spin-stabilized

Slacker XCL

How does everyone like the head angle of the XCL for riding super steep stuff? Does a longer fork (Lyrik, 36, etc) help or does it severely mess up handling for tamer riding? ANyone have this setup and like it?

The stock 69 degrees is a good compromise but is 68 degrees achievable with these longer forks?

Am I crazy for thinking of having a custom XCL built just to get a slacker HA or does it not matter in real world conditions?

My current bike has a 68 deg HA and love it for all kinds of technical riding. I just wind the travel down to 100 or 115mm and climbing steep stuff is very doable. I just think that a bike with a TA fork, a slacker HA would be more versatile.
    Hey man, wanna go for a klunk?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I have the 2 step lyric, roco air combo on the xcl.Its great going down the steep spots.alot more plush,eats up small bumps like crazy and on jumps its like landing on a goose down pillow.the only drawbacks is its slower going up and steering is less responsive.

mtbr member
    Yea - what HB said. You could run a longer fork on it - a Lyrik or a Fox 36 would work great - and you could get that slacker HA.

A.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    With the 2-step you can bring the travel down to a more manageable angle for climbing. I wish I had gotten a lyrik instead of the pike when I bought my frame/fork/wheels..

Compulsive Bike Builder

Talas 150 is a good fit, too

The Talas 150 is a good fit for the bike, too. 110-130-150 travel, and lighter than the Talas 36 or Lyrik 2 step. It is only available in QR15, though, so you will most likely need a different front wheel. UNLESS you have a Hope Pro 2 front hub, then you just swap out inserts and make it a QR15, easy peasy.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

The TALAS 150 is more like the RS PIKE

Since RS A2C is 9mm higher than Fox in their 32 collection the 150 should give hte same geometry as the PIKE.

For slacker geometry either the 36 or the Lyrik is hte way to go

Compulsive Bike Builder

Measurements

Quote Originally Posted by rmargoli
    Since RS A2C is 9mm higher than Fox in their 32 collection the 150 should give hte same geometry as the PIKE.

For slacker geometry either the 36 or the Lyrik is hte way to go
    I don't know the factory numbers, but the tape measure tells me the Talas 150 is 520mm a-c, RS 454 Pike Air Uturn is 510 a-c, Talas 140 standard dropout is 510. I dont have a Lyrik or Talas 36 handy. Those are long travel setting, unsagged of course. Factory a-c numbers are hard to come by and not easy to compare between manufacturers.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

nerfherder
    Take some air out of your rear shock. That should slacken things up a bit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

A2C numbers

Hi

here are the numbers as i know them:
    RS*pike (140mm)*518
    RS*lyric*(160mm)*540
    FOX*32 (140mm)*515. Haven't got the 150mm but it should be 525
    FOX*36*(150mm)*535
    FOX*36*(160mm)*545

So it seems like the new TALAS is in between the 36 and the PIKE but closer to the PIKE.

My calculations showed me that you get 1.5 degreas when you go from the 140mm to the 160mm with a longer A2C.