US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Yep,was talking about yers!
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Here's my Monocog

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    I love that color What year is that,or did you have it repainted?
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

ya baby!!

I love this thing. Besides rippin 29er fun (SS) I have had it in monstercross with dirt drops, commuter with dirt drops slicks and fenders and now fixed with a mullett.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (115.8 KB, 1286 views)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by longhaultrucker
    I love that color What year is that,or did you have it repainted?
    Not sure what year, just bought the frame, but it was matt brown with the wierd fossil graphics.
    The paint is red/gold metalic lacquer over a black base, rattlecan job but I like it and it seems robust.
    Last edited by gbmoto; 02-15-2009 at 02:58 AM.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Quote Originally Posted by gbmoto
    Not sure what year, just bought the frame, but it was matt brown with the wierd fossil graphics.
    The paint is red/gold metalic lacquer over a black base, rattlecan job but I like it and it seems robust.
    The stock paint yer describing is an '07,methinks (someone who owns one could correct me if wrong ). If you did the rattlecan job (or to whoever did),it definately looks great!!! I wish the rattlecan jobs I'd done in the past looked so good. Nice job on it. These are great bikes,riding and lasting much longer than the price of entry would suggest,it'll be yer best friend for years
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    The stock paint yer describing is an '07,methinks (someone who owns one could correct me if wrong ). If you did the rattlecan job (or to whoever did),it definately looks great!!! I wish the rattlecan jobs I'd done in the past looked so good. Nice job on it. These are great bikes,riding and lasting much longer than the price of entry would suggest,it'll be yer best friend for years
    Just a random observation.... Your 07 flight project has been going on since '07! any intentions of getting that wrapped up this decade? You're going to be able to put antique plates on it before too long.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B

... and if we just ... Funny

Quote Originally Posted by tha1000
    Just a random observation.... Your 07 flight project has been going on since '07! any intentions of getting that wrapped up this decade? You're going to be able to put antique plates on it before too long.
    Actually,yer observation's a bit off on yer time table,I've only owned it a few months according to my paypal account info. But yeah,it got drawn out much longer than intended...Shortly after buying it,I went from earning $7-800 per week to my boss paying me $400 per week for a couple months while they were "waiting for parts" for the truck,and then the next month my pay was about that as I paid em back,then last month due to problems with an 8 year old spinal injury (broken neck in 2001 ),D.O.T. indefinately suspended my CDLs,and since just before Christmas,I've been under a Doc's care (and more recently began therapy 3-5 times per week) and off the bike...and normal living.

Since I've not been able,or allowed to work,my wife's at the 1/2 mark of being a full time student,and trying to work a low paying job (all she could find,and her boss isn't even paying her for all her hours we're finding out) while trying to pull a mandatory 240 intern hours at a local hospital......it's indefinately on hold. I guess I should change the sig

Since it's 99.5% certain we've lost the house,and all that that entails,it's actually for sale (cheap),and I've sold the wheelset already. I just couldn't resist blowing the $ for the wheels and a little of the tax check on upgrades for the d440,tho (we budgeted a set small amount we could each spend,since we hadn't been able to for months).

Of course,put-near everything in life is temporary,and by summer things will have become more stable,as she'll be graduated and working at the same hospital (but not for free/internship),and I'll either be released to work (doubtfull) or "drawing",so other than a few weak moments,we're trying to be content in our boat,just like Paul in prison (Biblical...despite how I behave sometimes,that's been my most read book for years ). Hey,but don't worry,my Doc is not only pro-cycling (as is my physical therapist),but she's known me long/well enough to know how important to me riding is...She says I may not be riding as "hard core" (wife's words) as I used to,as fast paced,or hit anymore 2-5' drops,etc,but in her edumicated opinion,I'll eventually be back riding to regularly,so it's all good. So if nobody buys it/all of it,when the day comes,it'll go back into the "project" file

Besisdes,I likes them antique tags-LOL!
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    dang dude... sorry to hear that. I was just busting your chops a bit.

good luck to you... hope that worm turns soon!

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Okey-dokey...I changed my sig a little
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Quote Originally Posted by tha1000
    dang dude... sorry to hear that. I was just busting your chops a bit.

good luck to you... hope that worm turns soon!
    LOL! Iknow,Bro But you were right on the sig,I'd meant to update it,but forgot .

And it will. I couldn't prevent the injury way back when (co-driver wrecked me as I slept),but most of the probs I mentioned I'm goin thru coulda been prevented,if I weren't so dang stubborn (who me? ). It's all good,tho,I'd much rather be here than where I was before the injury...I was a pretty low form of life in most aspects of it back then. I'm much better for it now (we need a smilie of one rolling in the floor laughing ). And don't worry,I won't let my current situation turn into a Lifetime (TV for women) movie here-LOL!
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Hey,were you one of the ones on here who'd put a Vassago ODIS fork on yer RL?
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Hey,were you one of the ones on here who'd put a Vassago ODIS fork on yer RL?
    I was considering it. I then crept up on a screaming deal on an '08 flight 29er frameset that I wound up building (at a much greater cost than I intended... ). I've turned my d440 into a commuter now and am probably going to eventually put an RST M-29 on my Flight... But I have several projects around the house I need to get wrapped up before I can justify pumping more money into that bike.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    I feel ya there,LOL!

I wuz just wonderin because that's one of the parts I ordered for the d440 last week. I think I ordered a black one,but I had a 6 and 11 year old fighting about Spongebob right beside me when I clicked "checkout". =p
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    I feel ya there,LOL!

I wuz just wonderin because that's one of the parts I ordered for the d440 last week. I think I ordered a black one,but I had a 6 and 11 year old fighting about Spongebob right beside me when I clicked "checkout". =p

Any day now....
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

I can break anything
    Here's my 2008 MC29er

Stock frame/wheels/tires
    FSA Pig Headset
    Thomson Post and Stem
    Oury Lock-ons
    Reba SL
    Avid BB5s
    Onza Clipless Pedals

Redline Monocog 29er
    Trek Fuel EX5
    Schwinn Moab w/ Surly 1x1 fork (road use)
    Specialized Rockhopper HT

Lost my signal...

A museum piece...

While visiting my inlaws we took the kids to a local children's museum. These Redlines powered a little computer simulation of a bike rider riding along the road. Unfortunately, they were just a little too big for him to pedal well...

Redline Monocog 29er - learning the joy of SS one hill at a time

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Christopher_CK,firstly,nice lookin 'Cog! Secondly,and this is probly been asked to death about these tires (I'm assuming 2.3" Exi's),but how do you like em and what terrain do you ride on? Thanks,I'm waiting on the UPS-dude to deliver a pair for my d440 =)

HikerGPS,man that's so cute,ya can't help but smile!!!
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B

... and if we just ... Finally...

Got my mail order parts in today,and a call from the LBS confirmed the parts from there came in today too (now it's just a matter of getting down there,looks like next Tuesday or Thursday). Mail order parts: One sweet Vassago ODIS fork,1 pair of fat (compared to the stock Nanos,anyways) pair of Exiwolf's.

'11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    May 2007
    sweet. my wheelset arrives tomorrow - that's all i'm waiting for at this point.
    once i get that 'em i can get a better idea how many spacers im going to need under the stem and whack some of the steerer off. and crank the calipers down. going to have to shorten the rear brake line but its not bad and can certainly wait.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Bet yer as anxious as I am!
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    May 2007

It's allive!

also posted in the 29er forum...
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (82.6 KB, 1148 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (91.6 KB, 1158 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (85.4 KB, 1143 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (94.9 KB, 1143 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (92.1 KB, 1144 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (97.3 KB, 1142 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (82.9 KB, 1157 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (100.9 KB, 1143 views)

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Sweet!!!
    How's that Manitou treatin ya?
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Sweet!!!
    How's that Manitou treatin ya?
    So far I -really- like this fork. Its very plush - I'm not hearing the clicking yet thats been problematic with the 08's so we'll see if I need the fix kit or not. Still have to play with the settings more - probably going to drop 10 or 20 psi from the fork and give that a shot. The handling is quick, but not too quick. Slow technical stuff is still easy to handle and it doesn't feel overly twitchy.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    I'd wondered about that on those forks,from what I'd read. I guess it's moot for me now tho,since I ordered a better riding rigid fork (just need to install it now),so I'll be riding that this year anyhow. Thanks for the quick reponse =)
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B

... and if we just ... Finally...

Here's some pics w/ the new digs all installed. Can't wait to hit the trail!!!

'11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B

More....

New parts: Slicker cables,185mm rotors,X9 rear mech,WTB Exiwolf 2.3" shoes,and Vassago ODIS fork.

Oh yeah...and I finally got around to ditching the reflectors off the wheels
    Last edited by longhaultrucker; 03-01-2009 at 04:46 PM.
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    i love segmented forks ... or frames (part of the reason I realy want an inbred)

lookin sweet man
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Thanx,Mark! Now I gotta get a ride in,so I might can get this anticipation grin off my face,to be replaced w/ a poop eating grin
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

lookin good longhaul

wish you early recovery to go for a ride. that would be driving me crazy!!!!!

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Thanx! It definately is!!! Don't tell my Doc or physical therapist,but I may try and sneak in a leisurely ride in on my favorite trails next/this week...assuming at least half the planets line up. =)
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Nice addition with the fork! I'm thinking of putting a ODIS (or maybe a Salsa) on my mono29. I hear the ODIS offers a V-Brake option. I'm not sure if I want to keep the V or go with a disk up front!? The fork looks so nice I think I would hate to put a V-Brake on it....! Argghhh, decisions!

Did you install it yourself? How noticeably different is the weight from the stock fork? Any thoughts on what you might use for cable guides up front?

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Quote Originally Posted by foxtrot
    Nice addition with the fork! I'm thinking of putting a ODIS (or maybe a Salsa) on my mono29. I hear the ODIS offers a V-Brake option. I'm not sure if I want to keep the V or go with a disk up front!? The fork looks so nice I think I would hate to put a V-Brake on it....! Argghhh, decisions!

Did you install it yourself? How noticeably different is the weight from the stock fork? Any thoughts on what you might use for cable guides up front?
    Firstly,thanx for the flowers!

Secondly,I really have no idea about the V-brake option,but I have a friend whom I just found out is a Vassago dealer,I'll email him and ask (soon as I type this).

I could've,but since I was alreay gunna be at an LBS,I just let him install it. Holding each fork in one hand at the same time,the weight loss was definately noticable! His scales showed between 3/4,and 1 pound difference in the ODIS's favor. As far as cable guides,I hadn't done it yet (I've had a small non-raining photo window since yesturday),but I was planning on falling back on one of Man's greatest acheivements....the good ole ziptie . May not be right for some guys,but it's fine by me

I highly recommend the guys/gals at Vassago,they were super people to deal w/,and that includes the friend I mentioned. When I get an answer about the V's,I'll post and PM ya.
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Foxtrot,
    No the ODIS can't be ordered w/ brake bosses for V's. He said just that he knows of (may be more) the following can: Surly,Origon 8 Carbon,Vicious Cycles,Voodoo,custom,and obviously Redline forks.

I dunno which ones he sells,BTW. Hopethishelps =)
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Thanks a bunch for looking this up for me. It looks like I might have to go "mullet" on my mono. I really don't want to go through the cost and trouble of adding a disk to the back wheel, plus I am perfectly fine with v-brakes.

The ODIS looks perfect on your bike!! I was never a huge fan of the color of the 08 D440, but with a shiny black fork I am!

I will post a pic of my mono after I cash my tax return and get my fork situation resolved. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    My 2008 d460 up to date.

HAYES STROKER CARBON BRAKES
    EASTON EC90 STEM AND SEATPOST
    EASTON XC ONE WHEEL SET
    SALSA PRO MOTO CARBON BAR
    WHITE BROTHERS FORK
    XT SHIFTER
    XT RD
    XT CASSETTE
    WTB DEVO SADDLE
    KENDA SMALL BLOCK 8 TIRES

Last edited by crypwhisper; 03-02-2009 at 09:30 PM.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    foxtrot... mullet is the way to go... my karate monkey is running mullet and it works very well... I highly recommend bb7's... and while your at it spend the $25 for some avid SD7 levers... makes the tunability of the mullet setup nice.

crypwhisper... looks good man ... always a sucker for carbon
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    My current (and favorite) ride. 2008 Monocog Flight 29er with a few mods:

Ritchey Pro Carbon Bars
    Reba U-Turn Shock
    Avid BB7 Brakes
    White Specialized toupe saddle
    White Specialized lock-on grips
    Custom wheelset - Hope Pro II hubs, DT Swiss spokes, Stan's Arch rims

Redline 29er - Small.JPG

mtbr member
    cwhisper and markerman: nice builds! Wish i could ride each and compare...!

mtbr member
    More nice RL's!

I will have to post an updated one of my D440 soon. I finally ditched the bar ends and added the new chainring, bashguard, eggbeaters, etc.

Debating on getting rid of the wheel reflectors although I do a good deal of commuting... Maybe I will have some action shots in a few weeks when we take the bikes down to TN for a little spring get away.
    -Jeremy
    08 Redline D440
    Nashbar 'cross frankenbike
    11 Scott CR1

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmsdini
    More nice RL's!

I will have to post an updated one of my D440 soon. I finally ditched the bar ends and added the new chainring, bashguard, eggbeaters, etc.

Debating on getting rid of the wheel reflectors although I do a good deal of commuting... Maybe I will have some action shots in a few weeks when we take the bikes down to TN for a little spring get away.
    Yeah,be sure to post it up!!!

What part of TN you be heading down to from the Hoosier?
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Yeah,be sure to post it up!!!

What part of TN you be heading down to from the Hoosier?

forgot to add I will be tossing some bontrager big sweep bars to replace the risers.

We will be going to Panther Creek state park and hitting the trails there outside of Jefferson city. We are actually staying pretty close to pigeon forge, etc. I will try and ride the "discburner" track... pics located near the bottom of the page.

http://discburner.blogspot.com/
    -Jeremy
    08 Redline D440
    11 Scott CR1

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmsdini
    forgot to add I will be tossing some bontrager big sweep bars to replace the risers.

We will be going to Panther Creek state park and hitting the trails there outside of Jefferson city. We are actually staying pretty close to pigeon forge, etc.
    Whoa!!! Small world,dude At the time I proposed to my lovely wife (back in '92),she was living in Morristown (or was that Moorestown? one was "burg",one was "town"),and we lived there for 6-8 months after getting hitched. Both are spitting distance from Jefferson City. I haven't been back since we moved out,but I remember Panther Creek. Didn't do any riding there back then,but did lotsa hiking. That's only about 2.5-3 hours from me! When ya going?
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    we will be down there from the 23rd-25th for sure. Might be there from the 21st-25th as I have those days free as well and I cant imagine I would want to sit around here and do nothing.
    -Jeremy
    08 Redline D440
    11 Scott CR1

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Sent you a PM
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    wow, some super-tight builds. keeps 'em comin'!

mtbr member
    Here are some updated pics. 2008 D440, Bontrager 12* big sweep bars, sram X.7 twist shifter, Bontrager switchblade race fork, Truvativ 40 tooth chainring, E.thirteen bash guard, egg beaters, old CODA saddle I had, cateye and a BB7 up front- mullet style.

close up of the bars to get an idea of how much sweep they have:

And finally, an obligatory pic of me cleaning the mud out of the tires with a toothbrush so I can take it inside. (pay no attention to my after-ride foot attire)
    -Jeremy
    08 Redline D440
    11 Scott CR1

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    now you just need some ergons to match the high sweep bars ...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson
    now you just need some ergons to match the high sweep bars ...

ahhh yes.. the quest never ends I definitely need to throw the redline grips in the trashcan and put something else on. Those things are turds. I tried out the ergon grips at the NAHBS and they DO feel super comfy. I may make the plunge this summer on those.

Out of curiosity, do you guys think I have too much seatpost showing? The bike fits me fine right now and I have no complaints, but I am wondering if my bike is telling me to get a larger frame. I posted the same question in the 29er forum, so disregard if you answered it there.
    -Jeremy
    08 Redline D440
    11 Scott CR1

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    That's a sweet looking d440,Helmsdini!!! I LOVE that fork!

You take a toothbrush to yer ride before you take it inside???

In a minute,I'll show you mine inside tonite after today's slimefest
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Here's mine,after yet another parts swap (I put those RF Turbines on,LX front mech,and old left shifter for a 3x8,but I'll be going down to 2x with a bashgaurd sometime this year).

(Helmsdini... ....I need to borrow that toothbrush )
    (Actually,she'll make me clean it tomorrow or over the weekend,and if it weren't dark by the time I got home,and I pulled the "you or the bike,which one sleeps outside tonite?" card )
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    LOL NICE!! That ODIS up front looks great- how did it perform on the trails?

Our trails werent nearly that nasty today. I typically use a big scrub brush, but I couldnt find it today so the old toothbrush came out
    -Jeremy
    08 Redline D440
    11 Scott CR1

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B

Smile

Well,I have some initial thoughts,but I won't call it a full reveiw,since my planned 15025 mile ride got shortened to a lil over 8 miles (I didn't want to risk damage to the trails,since they seemed to get worse the farther in).

Before I ever got past the gravel parking lot,it was obvious the ODIS was a much smoother riding fork,and this was verified on a rocky/rooty section on trail. I detected 0 flex during any part of the ride (braking,ruff spots,turning,etc),but I'm about 160 lbs,so I expected as much. I also noticed turn in was noticably quicker,but it never felt twitchy,even at speed (I did hit 23 MPH at one point,but the thickness of the mud kept speeds fairly low...that and my been off the bike lots lately ). I definately recommend it,especially if one thinks of their stock RL fork as harsh,or their steed a little sluggish in tight turns/woods.
    Last edited by longhaultrucker; 03-08-2009 at 10:01 PM.
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    PS: I think,since I'm anal about my drivetrain being well cared for/lubed,that the scrub brush is what mine's gunna get. Usually I clean every nook after a ride like this,but I got lots going on this weekend (including a rather ambitious b-day party for my daughter....ambitious in that the wife has to work,and she normally runs these things).
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    Helmsdini... for frame size... it's all about top tube length... if you don't feel cramped or overly stretched out then i'd keep rolling whatcha got...

steve... you should be able to use the redline bash with those cranks... thats what i'm doing with my truativ cranks on my KM...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B

steve... you should be able to use the redline bash with those cranks... thats what i'm doing with my truativ cranks on my KM...
    Nah,the RL's are 4 bolt,the RF's are 5
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    LongHaul--glad to see you got a chance to hit the trails and try out the new fork! I imagine it was a little difficult to assess the flex of the fork while slipping and sliding in the mud.

Anyway, I think I need to exchange my stock RL fork for an ODIS--monkey see monkey do....! Where are you riding with all that snow?

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    LongHaul--glad to see you got a chance to hit the trails and try out the new fork! I imagine it was a little difficult to assess the flex of the fork while slipping and sliding in the mud.

Anyway, I think I need to exchange my stock RL fork for an ODIS--monkey see monkey do....! Where are you riding with all that snow?
    Blacksburg's (VA) Pandapas Pond area.THey'd had 5-6" of snow the week before,but it was close,if not over 60 degrees F while I was there. There's a few sections of rocks and roots there,and I rode those a few times to getta feel for the fork. It's definately a better feel than the stock RL fork,without being flexy,and it quickened up the steering a little without being twitchy. For the $,I highly recommend it. Vassago was a nice group to deal w/,and I've found that a renewed old friend is now a Vassago dealer ta boot! (he may be able to get you a killer deal,plus he's way kool too.If interested,PM me for his email).(BTW,no,I don't have anything to gain there,but I only promote things/people I really believe in )

And thanks for being happy for my getting to go! Rides aren't the regular part of my week as I'd like yet (I'd love to ride a little every day ),and I probly won't ever feel up to something like a DH race,but I'm expecting to at least get back to XC...and it seems it may be slow going,but it is going that direction
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Less yapping an more snapping... (of pictures that is)

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Yap yap yap yap........er...sorry

'11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

offroader
    Dec 2008
    That's what I like to see.. the dirty kind.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B

... and if we just ...

LOL! Hey,we're guys,right? We're 'sposed to like dirty pics!
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    I just put my avatar on my bike...now it's serious

'11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

i like the dirty pics

looks good, glad to hear the odis works for you. i had some wheels arrive today, still have a bunch of parts enroute. will be doing the build thing soon too!

small world lonhaul, my mother lives in b-burg, we may need to get together for a ride later in the season.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    might want to shorten that brake cable a smidge if you like the paint on that new fork ...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Quote Originally Posted by mik13
    small world lonhaul, my mother lives in b-burg, we may need to get together for a ride later in the season.
    Yeah,that's a most definate!!!
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    might want to shorten that brake cable a smidge if you like the paint on that new fork ...
    Yep,got it covered. Thanx!
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    May 2006

Monocog has evolved........already

Already made a few changes to the Monocog after the first ride!
    Have built up some Mavic 717's on Deore Hubs (bought them cheap with trashed hubs and built them in to new hubs) with Maxxis Ignitor tyres. Ritchey spd's and to offset the weight loss I had to replace the lovely Salsa seatpost clamp with a big Fireeye BMX one! But at least the saddle stays up now, I think this was because of the long seatpost, which does flex a little.

Really has bought the bike to life, although I wouldn't think I have saved much weight it rides much lighter, those all important first couple of revolutions of the cranks really gets it going, the Ignitors are surprisingly good in mud too, didn't expect that! Way more predictable than the big Enduro's on there first. I think I am pretty settled on stem hight so will chop the steerer soon to get rid of that spacer. I think that will be it for a while, just ride it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbmoto
    Already made a few changes to the Monocog after the first ride!
    Have built up some Mavic 717's on Deore Hubs (bought them cheap with trashed hubs and built them in to new hubs) with Maxxis Ignitor tyres. Ritchey spd's and to offset the weight loss I had to replace the lovely Salsa seatpost clamp with a big Fireeye BMX one! But at least the saddle stays up now, I think this was because of the long seatpost, which does flex a little.

Really has bought the bike to life, although I wouldn't think I have saved much weight it rides much lighter, those all important first couple of revolutions of the cranks really gets it going, the Ignitors are surprisingly good in mud too, didn't expect that! Way more predictable than the big Enduro's on there first. I think I am pretty settled on stem hight so will chop the steerer soon to get rid of that spacer. I think that will be it for a while, just ride it.
    Dig the color!!

Also- you would be surprised how much weight you probably save switching out Redline components. As people have said- everything on these bikes is overbuilt. Look at regular MTB bars and then pull the end plug out of yours and look at it. It is about twice as thick- matter of fact the Syncros on the D440 is an all mountain bar. The seatpost is the same way, and probably everything else on the bike. They are heavy, but built like a brick outhouse. If you wanted to sacrifice some durability for weight, you can definitely do it on the RL bikes.
    -Jeremy
    08 Redline D440
    11 Scott CR1

mtbr member
    where does one find gold nuts like those on the rear?

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    any good hardware store should have them (aka a local mom and pop... big ones may have them but the mom and pops always seem to have a lot more assortment then home depot or the likes)... they are a coating that prevents oxidation/rust...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hardware store bolts would probably do the biz but I used these.

Nice and tight and grippy, together with DMR chain tugs I get no movement and it is still relatively QR.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Should have said, this is where you can get them.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=6282

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

in the wild

heres a few from yesterday and on from a few weeks ago

374491757_1292458839_0.jpg

374492482_1292461489_0.jpg

0308091129a.jpg

weather has been too nice for this time of year here

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Monocog transformation.

A liitle before, during and after, taking it back to it's Redline roots.

And my other Redline, 2008 Conquest.
    Last edited by Yeti Clyde; 03-10-2009 at 07:39 PM.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    and she's done... well outside of needing some fine tunning on the shifting and a different saddle (got my eye on a brooks)... the crankset is an old sigino inpel and the front D is an old LX... the cassette is an 11-28 they all came from a '95 schwinn thats to small for anyone I know... with very low miles

the bar is a titec H bar (great on the road and off road it was pretty nice) standing sprints are nothing but amazing with it...

tires are kenda kross 700x40

stoppers are tektro hydros... front rotor is an avid cleansweep (stole the 185mm rotor for my other bike)

also put a surly karate monkey up front... weighs less... about 8mm shorter and few mm less offset... also stole the HOPE QR's from my KM

Last edited by donalson; 03-11-2009 at 05:18 PM.
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    May 2007
    looking good

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    it's setup for the tour de cure ride... 100k ride... will be fun
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Lookin great Mark!!!
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

looks sweet in "road mode"

that looks very nice, any rides in yet? curious how differently it handles with the diff fork geo?

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    only ridden in rode mode as of yet... need to get the shifting dialed in on the road before i'll take it out... but on the road I don't notice a difference... it's i think 8mm shorter but 4mm less offset...

i'll get on the trail one of these days... but right now i've just tweaked some things on my other 29er and the redline is getting road miles in prep for tour de cure
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B

... and if we just ...

Another shameless plug. My initial impressions on ODIS were spot on. Got a few dry hours on technical (for the most part) trails. Smooth,lighter,inexpensive,quicker steering-Damn nice fork-especially for the $.

And my new bag (now I can add the propane tank w/ the kitchen sink ).

'11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Here's the d440 w/ ole LHT rollin down the Monkey on yesturday's group ride...well,what of it is still d440 (the frame,stem/bars and seat/post are still origonal-rollin w/ the round 2 parts now ).

The new wheels...

And just for kicks (the new cable holder thingie)...

'11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Nice, man. I do not want to have to (really just can't afford to) upgrade my wheelset on my mono29, so please don't tell me they drastically improved the overall quality of the ride...and that you are extremely happy with the purchase!

Looking forward to seeing a cleaned up picture of the whole bike. I'm willing to bet you will have a gnarly seatpost, stem, and/or handlebar by the beginning of summer...?

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Nice, man. I do not want to have to (really just can't afford to) upgrade my wheelset on my mono29, so please don't tell me they drastically improved the overall quality of the ride...and that you are extremely happy with the purchase!

Looking forward to seeing a cleaned up picture of the whole bike. I'm willing to bet you will have a gnarly seatpost, stem, and/or handlebar by the beginning of summer...?
    Actually....and I apologise for this....they wheels were a noticable improvement,both in feel and rotational mass,and I am extremely happy w/ em,especially for the $ spent. I've a friend who owns a shop,he can build you an identical set for $175 + S&H ,if yer interested,PM me and I'll get you in touch w/ him.

I'll try and get a cleaned up pic by weekend...I gots a bruised shoulder from clipping a tree w/ my shoulder @ 18+ MPH (the problematic one no less ),so I'm milking it...er...taking it easy for a couple days.

I dunno if it'll be by summer (unless I sell some more RC stuff,or that new '07 Flite 26er frame),but I'm thinking Easton carbon for SP and bars,EA70 stem and WTB Rocket V saddle
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    hmm you got a spare set of 29er wheels sitting around... now you could have your guy rebuild the redline hub and make it to a 69er... ;-) also have that redline crank and other bits... just sayin... ;-) basicly upgrade your d440 and toss the "junk" onto the flight haha
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    hmm you got a spare set of 29er wheels sitting around... now you could have your guy rebuild the redline hub and make it to a 69er... ;-) also have that redline crank and other bits... just sayin... ;-) basicly upgrade your d440 and toss the "junk" onto the flight haha
    I actually thought about that. But I think I'm working my way towards a Bandersnatch w/ all good parts,and a stockish d440 backup/roadie/monster cross
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    I will keep it mind! I rock an EA70 and carbon bar on mine with some ESI chunkys. The carbon bar and grips sealed the wedding with my mono29. I will post some pictures as soon as get a hold of a camera.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    I will keep it mind! I rock an EA70 and carbon bar on mine with some ESI chunkys. The carbon bar and grips sealed the wedding with my mono29. I will post some pictures as soon as get a hold of a camera.
    Kool,thanx for the veiw into the future

Can't wait to see it!
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

trees = kings of the woods

they always win!!!!!

the trails you ride look so much like the ones i ride, it is vu ja day. looking good bombing down the hill. hope the back is good after your meeting with the king tree.

how you digging those wheels? big difference or just noticable?

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Thanx for the props

I would have to say it's somewhere between the two (noticable and big difference). I definately noticed em,but they aren't hi-end $1200 wheels. For the investment of under $200,I would say they're huge,tho. I don't regret em one iota

On the shoulder...aaahhh,it's awrite,I'm used to hurtin 24/7 anyways,it's just a slight increase-won't stop me from riding (meeting a bud Sunday to ride my regular trailage ),just gotta milk...er...rest it till then

PS: An aside-I'm gunna hafta pay a little more attention,tho,cause it seems I clipped a different tree on a different trail almost exactly the same way shortly before the new year (doh!)
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    From today...man I love this bike!!!

'11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    looks good steve ... I got a good ride in today myself on the KM but whatever ... going to roll rigid one of these days... side note... got to see some exiwolves... those things are HUGE compared to the 2.1 nano's
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    looks good steve ... I got a good ride in today myself on the KM but whatever ... going to roll rigid one of these days... side note... got to see some exiwolves... those things are HUGE compared to the 2.1 nano's
    Yeah,they are. If I'd known I was gunna be buyin wheels this soon,tho,I prolly woulda bought some Conti Mud King's (2.4"),they're even bigger (Buzz's Bandersnatch roll w/ a pair). I may even convert and try tubeless some time this year with these,and run some really low pressure

Glad you got to ride too
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Looking forward to seeing a cleaned up picture of the whole bike...
    Took these just for you,Foxtrot...not "cleaned up",but as clean as is likely for a while

'11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

offroader
    Dec 2008
    tbs
    Last edited by CupOfJava; 04-01-2009 at 07:54 AM.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    C.O.J.,that is one sweet lookin Flite!!!

That a new one...the one you were searchin for to buy?
    Last edited by longhaultrucker; 03-26-2009 at 04:02 PM.
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B

... and if we just ... Here's my old Monocog 26er in it's current setup

2002 Monocog

Set at 100mm

32x22T
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

offroader
    Dec 2008
    C.O.J.,that is one sweet lookin Flite!!!

That a new one...the one you were searchin for to buy?
    Hey thanks. One finally showed up on ebay. Full bike almost stock so I picked it up and stripped it down to make this. The frame was almost mint.

Here's a before picture.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 19