Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    MattSavage

Show Us Your Raleigh's!!!!!

I guess I'll get it going with my spankin' new ('04) Ram XT 2500.

-05 Sherman Flick 150mm
    -X-9 Shifters and Derailleur
    -Mavic F219 Disc rims w/ XT hubs and 2.5 WTB Weirwolf's
    -Race Face Prodigy XC cranks and FR BB (soon to be Evolve w/ X-type BB)
    -Deore Hydro's with an 8" up front/6" in back
    -Shimano 545 Pedals
    -Easton EA70 post, Ritchey stem, Specialized Enduro bar

This will primarily be a light-duty freeride, rad ass trailbike!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    my 2004 raleigh xt 3500
    Last edited by nickm23; 02-28-2005 at 10:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    my 04 3500xt

mtbr member
    May 2004
    2003 M-80

gnar, brah
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage
    I guess I'll get it going with my spankin' new ('04) Ram XT 2500.

-05 Sherman Flick 150mm
    -X-9 Shifters and Derailleur
    -Mavic F219 Disc rims w/ XT hubs and 2.5 WTB Weirwolf's
    -Race Face Prodigy XC cranks and FR BB (soon to be Evolve w/ X-type BB)
    -Deore Hydro's with an 8" up front/6" in back
    -Shimano 545 Pedals
    -Easton EA70 post, Ritchey stem, Specialized Enduro bar

This will primarily be a light-duty freeride, rad ass trailbike!
    Nice bike -- I'd look into getting a 20mm thru-axle for the front to stiffen it up. Can be done fairly cheaply.
    Trestle Bike Park

Keep The Rubber Side Down

Raleigh 2004 Inferno

Sold as a Frame Only. Dogs not included.
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewpalooza
    Nice bike -- I'd look into getting a 20mm thru-axle for the front to stiffen it up. Can be done fairly cheaply.
    Whoa... a 6 inch SC fork with a QR axle? Crazy... Uh... You can't convert standard QR into 20 mm. You have to get new lowers with the 20 mm dropouts. Manitou uses an optional hex-lock axle. My first impressions are good, feels stiff.

MattSavage

The QR is plenty stiff....

for my style of riding. Even blowing through rock gardens and fast rooty downhills, I didn't notice any flex of deflection. I have yet to do any drops. I had to stay budget minded when building the bike. But I foretell a Sherman Slider in my future!

Rolling
    32-17

Meh.
    I just ordered a o3 Sherman Firefly. I hope I like it as much as you like your flick. (^.^) From what I hear, it's a great fork. And hopefully it won't die on me as so many other forks have.

mtbr member

my raleigh

'02 m600 frame
    LX/XT drivetrain
    Avid Mechanicals
    Fox Vanilla fork

Yes, I know it still needs a chain.

(washer and dryer not included... )

mtbr member

muddy Talus Team

04 team talus. 22.5 lbs

mtbr member

doughter's Tess with XTR

Baby girl's Tess with hand me down XTR

mtbr member
    This bike was orignally baught by my buddy back when we were in grade school. last summer me and him moved in together with our gf's. turns out women suck. my buddy and his women moved far away but this beauty lol, has been left chained to this tree outside my apartment for over a yr, im thinking of cutting the chain and making her my own, a single speed probably.

this bike is probably from the 1990-1993 era im not sure. i baught my huffy in 5th grade with money i saved for yrs, then he saved more and baught this bike, put my huffster to shame. well here she is in all her rusted glory.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Heres a pic of my 2005 Raleigh RDS 7. As far as I am aware, this model is only sold in South Africa. It features a single pivot ali frame with Fox Float R at the back and an F100R fork. My version has a full XT grpupset including dual control shifters and discs. So far I am very impressed...

phazer
    Quote Originally Posted by headshot
    Heres a pic of my 2005 Raleigh RDS 7. As far as I am aware, this model is only sold in South Africa. It features a single pivot ali frame with Fox Float R at the back and an F100R fork. My version has a full XT grpupset including dual control shifters and discs. So far I am very impressed...
    A guy in our group rides a yellow one, alo seem to enjoy the RDS quite abit. Still...I dunno bike seems heavy compared to my almost stock Giant NRS3. I love the RM9 hardtail frame thought.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Not that heavy

Your mate would be the Dirtrider dude who rides an RDS 5. The frame aint heavy, its the components that do it. Mine is just a tad heavier than my giant hardtail.

phazer
    Your mate would be the Dirtrider dude who rides an RDS 5. The frame aint heavy, its the components that do it. Mine is just a tad heavier than my giant hardtail.
    Yup that's him. You know him?

mtbr member
    May 2004

Warthogs

Just his email name. He pops up regularly on the Warthogs mailing list. He loves the RDS, rates it as a far better ridr than his NRS.

phazer
    Just his email name. He pops up regularly on the Warthogs mailing list. He loves the RDS, rates it as a far better ridr than his NRS.
    Aahh yes. Well he does not own a NRS, his girlfriend does, which is a small, he rides a large frame so the RDS will feel better than the NRS to him.

John Galt

2001 M80

This is my wife's hardtail, which is basically stock and is doing comfort duty, though it did some serious rides before we got her a FS bike. The only changes are:

- LX shifters - taken from her Rocky ETSX
    - Weyless riser bar - comfy position for cruising with stock stem
    - Avid SD3 rear brake - added after adjustment screw stripped on stock Tektro
    - Older, cushier Velo saddle taken off my V-Link

We used to have SRAM Rockets on this bike, but they went to the ETSX. The ETSX now has SRAM ESP (8-spd!), so the Rockets may go back on the M80. We both like twist shift...

The Gnarchitect Sketch.
    My Ram 2500 ('05) built up as best I could:

Swinger 4-way coil
    Shi#mano lx/xt derailleurs/shifters
    Avid 8" bbdb F/R
    Avid speed dial levers
    Truvativ hussefelt cranks/Gigapipe DH BB/Raceface NS Bashguard
    Intense mag 30 dh rims on hadley hubs
    Maxxis mobsters (2.7 F/2.5 R) - DH casings
    Marzocchi 66VF (150 mm travel version)

The out of frame bike leaning against the tree is my roommate's SC chameleon. Took this photo at "Work."

New question here. How did you get your hands on one of these

From SoAf?

mtbr member
    May 2004

SA indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow
    From SoAf?
    Why so confused MY? You should fly down and join us for some stunning rides. Its cheap here if you have $

mtbr member
    May 2004

Only just read the heading ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow
    From SoAf?
    Raleigh is staging a come back in SA. They have a full MTB and road range which are very good value considering the frame quality and parts spec.

Good job! I guess I should have read your profile

Raleigh is staging a come back in SA. They have a full MTB and road range which are very good value considering the frame quality and parts spec.
    To see that you are FROM S.A. I assumed that you got one here in the U.S.A.

I checked Raleigh S.A.'s website. The higher end stuff looks good (both road and off road). The middle and lower end stuff is still rather hoaky.

John Galt

1991 Raleigh Technium Chill

I picked this one up for cheap and have started cleaning it up. There's a little more info on my vintage site and I'll post better photos once it's done. I always liked the dual material "Technium" bikes. This one has a front triangle of aluminum tubing bonded to steel lugs and a steel rear triangle.

mtbr member
    Brand new Raleigh M80. I picked it up today actually. Deore shifters and front derailer, with a Deore LX rear derailer. Rock Shox Judy 80mm fork.

Kris

mtbr member
    here is my 2004 ram 4.0, parts that have been upgraded. the fork 2004 RockShox Psylo SL, the front rim Sun rimsDoubleTrack And a a Ritchy 20mm hub , the pedals Shimono pd-m424(soon to be Crank Bros Mallet c's) I am also replacing the no name shock with a Fox vinilla this weekend. after all of that I will be replacing the Derailers with some XTR's

SUWA HATES YOU. say no to 9.5 wilderness

mtbr member

double post

my bad I double posted
    Last edited by MyOtherBikeHasAMotor; 03-08-2006 at 01:55 AM. Reason: double post
    SUWA HATES YOU. say no to 9.5 wilderness

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Brought it home

Here is my new '05 Ram 4.0 in my LBS as I was doing the final tune up before taking it home. It is stock except the I chose the Diamonback platforms for pedals. I still have teh Shimano 520's that came with it for when I make the jump to clipless.

My LBS owner liked it so much after I let him ride it, he is going to get one for himself (I guess there are a few '05's left in the warehouse). I am totally stoked about this riding season.

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004

Good job!

Here's my '04 Avenger. Normally I run a '99 Fox FLOAT R shock, but early season when I'm not riding off road I swap the shock out for the piece of aluminum that you see in its place to make it a hardtail.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

MattSavage

2005 Ram XT 2500..

I just built this up for my Girlfriend. She's pretty stoked on it. It's not totally finsished. The wheelset will be F219's with XT rear hub and a Quando TX 20mm front, XT discs with 8" rotors.

The fork came off a Trek Session 7. It's a 1.5 Manitou Stance 170mm w/ TPC+ . Pretty sick...
    Last edited by mattsavage; 03-24-2006 at 10:45 PM.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004
    Sorry for the double post.
    Last edited by revrnd; 03-26-2006 at 09:19 AM.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    This is my new 2006 Mojave 8.0. I have had it several weeks and having been riding it almost daily. I absolutely love it. I changed the the seat post and stem. I wanted to try a longer stem without paying a whole lot to get a feel for the length so I found a bargain at JensonUSA. I plan on replacing the two items with better quality pretty quickly. I am a clydesdale so I was concerned about the frame. So far it is very stiff and the only thing that needed tweaked was the spring in the fork. I replaced it with a extra firm one from Manitou. That was right at twenty dollars. It is equipped with all Deore except the rear der. which is LX. The wheels are joy-tech hubs with Alex Dm-21's. I figure when if I start having problems with them I can go to the Deore XT/Rhynolyte rim combo. The Hayes MX-2's stop really good. Can you tell I am very happy with the bike? I know Raleigh's get a bad rap on here but I wanted something different and wanted a good value. I feel that I got both.

MattSavage

2005 Ram XT 2500..

I know I posted this once before, but that was before it was totally finished. Here it is, final incarnation. Rear wheel is a XM321 with an XT hub, FSA 1.5 headset with an FSA FR200 75mm stem, Scott O/S FR bar 1.5" rise, 8" rotor up front and a 7" in the rear with Deore Hydro's.

The rear adapter is an Avid 185mm. It'll work for the rear with Shimano's, but not the front. I tried two calipers and two different adapters, but the front adapters aren't perfectly flat were they interface with the caliper. I tried one set of the CPS washers on the bottom bolt and that would make up for the bevel, but I only got about 80% pad contact on the rotor, so I said screw it and went 8".

The front tire is a 2.2 Specialized Adrenaline Pro. It's about 4mm wider than the 2.5 WTB Weirwolf rear, yet 100grams lighter... weird, but whatever, it works. The wheels are handbuilt by myself, my first set. I'm glad I'm using my girlfriend as the Guinnea Pig... hehe....

The fork is sick! So underrated. Of course it's OEM with TPC+ and 170mm, not like the typical Stance. If the Kingpin feels like this, I might pick one up. Excellent small bump compliance, and forget about bottoming it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    mattsavage. I was just curious what frame size the red xt2500 was??

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by yamaha394
    mattsavage. I was just curious what frame size the red xt2500 was??
    It's a 17". It had its maiden freeride voyage this weekend. It's so nice. Perfectly balanced front to rear, super light in the air. I'm gonna try to get my hands on another, in my size.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

My brother's m800, just bought it for $100.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    matt, i dont have a raleigh and you know it.
    Finally, the great taste of worchester sauce...in a soft drink!

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Raleigh Cafe Racer - #1 of 1

Submitted for your approval. Even though it's not a mountain bike, I thought you folks might appreciate it - especially the over caffeinated readers.

caferacer.jpg

When Shimano introduced the concept of flat bar road bikes years ago, they held a design competition to highlight the new Rapidfire shifters and front derailleurs for road bikes.

My vision was a vehicle that represented the fastest way to ride between any two points, as long as they were both Starbucks locations. Of course, now there are so many of them that the ride could be as short as to the next corner of the same block!

The Cafe Racer has evolved in specification over time, becoming lighter and more efficient since the show. For example, the original version had RockShox Ruby SL suspension up front, with one of their Road suspension posts in back.

Certain items, like the British Racing Green Candy C pedals and Bronze tread Continental tires, didn't exist at the time of the original build, but certainly compliment the graphic scheme and match the intended use.

For safe drinking, the color and graphic matched Elite insulated bottle features an integrated thermometer, so you don't burn yourself on over-heated brew. To keep your joe warm for the long haul, there's an Ibis Hot Unit stainless thermos and bottle cage.

Anyway, enjoy the peek at a piece of rare Raleigh history - brewed for speed. I've owned a few Raleighs, and eventually sold all the rest, but this one is part of my permanent collection.

Cheers,
    The Kid

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

sweet ride !

now i'm missing my old street racer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Good job! Raleigh XT 3500 / MARZOCCHI 888 203mm

Hello People,

I've arranged myself a Raleigh XT 3500 frame, I'm planning to build it with the MARZOCCHI 888 203mm, though the frame is suppose to work with a 170mm and not 203mm I wanted to hear if anybody else did something similar with another brand of down crown fork ...

I confirmed with Raleigh Support over the phone that it's ok, however wanted to hear it from Raleigh riders, any comments ? I'll appreciate that.

Thanks.

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by zukermanhk
    Hello People,

I've arranged myself a Raleigh XT 3500 frame, I'm planning to build it with the MARZOCCHI 888 203mm, though the frame is suppose to work with a 170mm and not 203mm I wanted to hear if anybody else did something similar with another brand of down crown fork ...

I confirmed with Raleigh Support over the phone that it's ok, however wanted to hear it from Raleigh riders, any comments ? I'll appreciate that.

Thanks.
    I think that'll make it way too slack of a head angle. Go with the 170 model. The suspension will feel more balanced front/rear that way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Well ... too late for that ... the 888 is being assambled on it while we speak.
    I wanted to see if anybody else have done something like that ...

Oh well ... guess i'll find out soon.

Thanks mate.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I just built up the same xt3500 frame. Great bike! I am running a sherman breakout on a small sized frame and I find that the bike handles better with the travel at 150mm than at 170mm---but maybe its just me. would love to see pix of yours when you're done.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Well ... the Raleigh XT3500, 20" Frame + 203mm MARZOCCHI 888 is now ready.
    Full bike setup is :
    Frame / 06 20" Raleigh Ram XT 3500
    Fork / 06 MARZOCCHI Bomber VF 888
    Rear Shock / 06 Manitou Swinger 6-Way
    Brakes / 06 Experimental Taiwanese 8 Drilled Titanium Pistons Clipers with 203mm Discs
    Wheelset F / 05 Atom Lab Front Wheelset + Maxxis 2.5mm
    Wheelset R / 05 Mavic Rear Wheelset + Maxxis UST 2.35mm
    Crankset / 06 Truvativ Holzfeller Crankset 2pc + Howitzer XR BB
    Pedals / 06 Truvativ Holzfeller Pedals
    Cassette / 06 SRAM Power Glide PG-990
    Handlebar / 06 Truvativ Holzfeller AL7050
    06 Cane Creek Grips
    Chain / 06 Shimano XT
    Shifters / 06 SRAM X.O Twist Shifters
    06 SRAM Front Derailleur X-Gen
    06 SRAM Rear Derailleur X-9
    SeatPost / 06 Easton EA50
    06 Hope Quick Release SeatPost
    Saddle / 06 Selle Italia - Onda Trans Am

Let's see how things will work !

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by zukermanhk; 08-09-2006 at 12:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Well ... the Raleigh XT3500, 20" Frame + 203mm MARZOCCHI 888 is now ready.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Zukermanhk: Do you know how much the 20" frame and rear shock weighs and how much the total build weighs? How are those brakes?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast