Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Show me your DEAN

heres mine

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Sweet bike! Here is my husband's steel Dean.

mtbr member

here's mine.....

.............oh, that's right, I haven't gotten it yet. Ordered in July though

mtbr member
    I know of someone who ordered beginning of June and got their frame 2 weeks ago.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I had an order in for an Ionic but cancelled because I kept getting the run around (one more week...). I've heard their worth the wait though and my husband has nothing but great things to say about his.

mtbr member
    It wasnt too bad with my frame. I ended up waiting a month more than what they originally quoted me. I dont know why DEAN do this. They should be more upfront and honest with their delivery estimates.

mtbr member

next time

I'll go with Carl Strong.

Dean won't last long in this competitive market if they don't improve their business side of things; no matter how great their product is.......

Fashionably functional...
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiRho

Dean won't last long in this competitive market if they don't improve their business side of things; no matter how great their product is.......
    DEANS been around this long for a reason.
    I love people who never had first hand experiences with DEAN bashing on the company. Mine has always been positive. STOP READING THE TRASH THREADS. Everybody has some b!tching about some company. With DEAN, you're getting custom from a small in-house builder. Perfection and quality takes time. Even my Santa Cruz took weeks to get in. If you want the mass produced, everyday bike shop, never short stock, dime a dozen/break the bank rdiculously expensive, cookie cutter, everybody has one/nobody wants one kind of bikes, there are plenty of other threads to read. But the ones smart enough to realize the quality and value of a DEAN really like our bikes...and are happy enough with the CS to continue to deal with them.
    What's the joy of living if you can't feel alive???

mtbr member

my experience

Quote Originally Posted by AsianPersuasion
    DEANS been around this long for a reason.
    I love people who never had first hand experiences with DEAN bashing on the company. Mine has always been positive. STOP READING THE TRASH THREADS. Everybody has some b!tching about some company. With DEAN, you're getting custom from a small in-house builder. Perfection and quality takes time. Even my Santa Cruz took weeks to get in. If you want the mass produced, everyday bike shop, never short stock, dime a dozen/break the bank rdiculously expensive, cookie cutter, everybody has one/nobody wants one kind of bikes, there are plenty of other threads to read. But the ones smart enough to realize the quality and value of a DEAN really like our bikes...and are happy enough with the CS to continue to deal with them.
    Looks like I or someone got you fired up.
    1) I don't know if I'd say Dean has been around for a long time, but when Ti Sports was producing all their frames (which wasn't that long ago), they got stuff out on time. Now they do stuff in-house and things have changed.

2) I have first hand experience with Dean. They told me in July when I ordered that 4-6 weeks was no problem for delivery of my frame because that happened to be their slow time of year. Now, 3 months later I'm still waiting. I'd much rather they'd told me 3 months and I'd have no problem waiting that long if only they'd been upfront and given me a realistic time.

3) I've worked with a small custom builder before. Carl Strong built me a beautiful road bike a while back. He told me 8 weeks, and I received the frame in slightly less than 8 weeks.

4) I chose to buy a Dean, even after reading all these threads, solely because I think John is an excellent guy with a good heart, that produces some awesome bicycles. He does however, need to kick up the business side of things a notch, or I truly feel his business will suffer.

That said, I look forward to getting my bike and if my latest conversations with them hold true, I should be building it up next week. I'll post pics when I do and hope to chat with you all again soon.

freak of nature

DEAN bikes....

Those last few emails basically summed up the pros and cons, so here's a few photos of my ride and those of a few friends.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    may your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. may your mountains rise into and above the clouds.
    -edward abbey

mtbr member
    1) I don't know if I'd say Dean has been around for a long time, but when Ti Sports was producing all their frames (which wasn't that long ago), they got stuff out on time. Now they do stuff in-house and things have changed.

2) I have first hand experience with Dean. They told me in July when I ordered that 4-6 weeks was no problem for delivery of my frame because that happened to be their slow time of year. Now, 3 months later I'm still waiting. I'd much rather they'd told me 3 months and I'd have no problem waiting that long if only they'd been upfront and given me a realistic time.

3) I've worked with a small custom builder before. Carl Strong built me a beautiful road bike a while back. He told me 8 weeks, and I received the frame in slightly less than 8 weeks.

4) I chose to buy a Dean, even after reading all these threads, solely because I think John is an excellent guy with a good heart, that produces some awesome bicycles. He does however, need to kick up the business side of things a notch, or I truly feel his business will suffer.

That said, I look forward to getting my bike and if my latest conversations with them hold true, I should be building it up next week. I'll post pics when I do and hope to chat with you all again soon.

I agree, I just wish that DEAN were up front with people. I think they lose alot of orders from disgruntled buyers that get fed up with the lies and cancel. John comes across over the phone as a top guy. Is he the owner or the the sales manager?

mtbr member

dean

Quote Originally Posted by 20_bandh
    John comes across over the phone as a top guy. Is he the owner or the the sales manager?
    John is the owner. However, I'm not sure if he has any partners, or if the company is set up for the employees to own a little piece of the pie too.

Sweet pics from AZ Dean rider, BTW.

freak of nature

if you enjoyed the AZ pics....

John is the owner. However, I'm not sure if he has any partners, or if the company is set up for the employees to own a little piece of the pie too.

Sweet pics from AZ Dean rider, BTW.

...here's a link for more photos from that trip to sedona last weekend.

damnifiknowhow...
    may your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. may your mountains rise into and above the clouds.
    -edward abbey

mtbr member

which Dean do you have on order? with the carbon wrapped tubes or without?

Mine is supposed to build up this week as well, a Colonel XLite 29er.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

mtbr member

it is a small thing but I have seen a Strong Ti cross frame...I was not super impressed with the welds. They weren't bad, but not as good as a I have seen on multiple IF ti frames, Serrotta, and even Dean. they were mostly even but kind of fat and wide, and looked closer to a weld on an aluminum frame though not quite as big. The welds on the above bikes had better flow between the tubes and were more even. The Strong looked great otherwise.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

mtbr member

colonel

Quote Originally Posted by OrBikbldr
    it is a small thing but I have seen a Strong Ti cross frame...I was not super impressed with the welds. They weren't bad, but not as good as a I have seen on multiple IF ti frames, Serrotta, and even Dean. they were mostly even but kind of fat and wide, and looked closer to a weld on an aluminum frame though not quite as big. The welds on the above bikes had better flow between the tubes and were more even. The Strong looked great otherwise.
    I've got a standard colonel coming and I'll have it set up almost full xtr. My components arrived last week via a buddies pro shop. Your 29er should be sweet, so I hope they get it out to you this week. I believe all their x-lite frames were very limited production this year, so they've probably just finished up a production run.

Your observations on the Strong welds are interesting, as everything I've seen from Carl is a beautiful narrow bead.....maybe he did that cross frame after a double espresso! I haven't seen the IF frames, but I agree with you that the Dean welds I've seen are comparable to the best.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Smile

I had to send my Dean Scout in to have a disc tab welded on. They told me 2 weeks and it took 2 weeks. They e-mailed me multiple times to let me know what was up and to ask me questions about what I wanted. I was very happy with the service there. I can't wait to get the bike done.

"Mr. Britannica"
    Ordered in the middle of winter. Took 7-1/2 months to arrive. Nothing especially fancy either. Great frame, total BS service.

mtbr member
    7.5 months is a hell of a long wait. Luckily my wait wan't so extreme! How long a wait were you originally quoted?

"Mr. Britannica"
    How long a wait were you originally quoted?
    My bad, it was 6-3/4 months, original quote was 6-8 weeks. I've still got all the emails/lies.

mtbr member
    The trick with DEAN is to threaten to cancel your order.

mtbr member
    Here's my 2003 ACE. Great rig. I too had to wait more than double the lead time I was quoted (promised 6-8weeks took 4.5 months) but this seems pretty common with small builders. It's been back to Dean twice. Once for shot swing arm bushings (they now use cartrage bearings; so it's no longer an issue) and once to fix mis-aligned drop outs.
    I must admit now that it is 100% it rides like a dream. For a X-C FS race rig it's hard to top.

Mark
    "Climbers don't hurt any less than others;
    they're just more comfortable being there."
    "Il Pirata"

"Mr. Britannica"
    The trick with DEAN is to threaten to cancel your order.

I know, that's what finally got those lying sacks going on it.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE= and once to fix mis-aligned drop outs.
    I must admit now that it is 100% it rides like a dream. For a X-C FS race rig it's hard to top.

Mark[/QUOTE]

Got my Colonel built up. By the timeframes I'm seeing for others to get their bikes, the 3 months I waited doesn't seem so bad afterall.....

Mark, what were the symptoms of your mis-alinged dropouts (I assume you have the modular dropouts). I was having quite a time getting my derailer tuned, but it finally seems to be dialed in. Just curious about your ACE

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=ChiRho]
    Quote Originally Posted by and once to fix mis-aligned drop outs.

Mark[/QUOTE

Got my Colonel built up. By the timeframes I'm seeing for others to get their bikes, the 3 months I waited doesn't seem so bad afterall.....

Mark, what were the symptoms of your mis-alinged dropouts (I assume you have the modular dropouts). I was having quite a time getting my derailer tuned, but it finally seems to be dialed in. Just curious about your ACE
    two weeks ago I was told two weeks would be all until it is shipped out. Well I called on Tuesday of this week and mine still hasn't been welded yet. It is on the welder to-do list or something. I guess is supposedly being welded up either today or Monday. They said it would be all finish up the end of next week or the beginning of the next. All I can say is good thing it is cyclocross season or I would be pissed. The promised it would be be here by now. Whatever, I am only a little bitter. I hope riding is good for ya, congrats on finally getting your bike.

By the way folks, customization with the X-Lite tubes are limited to there precut tubes lengths. I wanted a 24" ETT and they said they needed to shorten it to 23.75 or I would have to wait until the next shipment of the carbon wrapped tubes. Again, I said whatever just get me my frame.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast