mtbr member

Seat position, forward on rails... Bad?

Just wondering if there is anything inherently bad about having your seat pretty much all the way forward on the rails.

I've been struggling with sizing on my MED XCL, which has a 90mm 10deg rise stem, and a fox 140 RL. ( Wondering if I should have gone for a small instead)

I'm 5'7, 30" inseam.

I just did a full weekend in Sedona, the first real time spent on this new build, and while it felt pretty darn "right", today I moved the saddle forward pretty much all the way on the rails, and it felt worlds better climbing. I'm talking about barely a quarter inch!
    I'm wondering if this is somehow bad juju for bike fit-- if I'm screwing up , or "if it works ride it " should play here.

I've also thought about trying a shorter stem.

My main complaint was the wondering front end on climbs, but that's since gotten better, and moving forward on the rails seems to have mitigated that as well-- unless I'm just making it up.

thoughts?

56-year-old teenager
    Aug 2006
    Does your seatpost have some built-in setback?

I'm 5'9" with the same inseam and I'm pretty happy with my medium XCL with a 90mm stem and a 2" riser bar. Which suggests to me that you might have been happier with the small.

I find myself all the way forward on the saddle climbing the steeps. I think this is just part of riding a mountain bike.

I put a Joplin R post on mine - which has some built-in setback - and found that it wouldn't drop smoothly if the saddle was too far forward on the rails. So I'm probably a bit further back than I'd prefer, but it's comfortable.
    Work is the curse of the biking classes.

mtbr member

You are in La La Land.....

[QUOTE=cajonezzz]Just wondering if there is anything inherently bad about having your seat pretty much all the way forward on the rails.

I've been struggling with sizing on my MED XCL, which has a 90mm 10deg rise stem, and a fox 140 RL. ( Wondering if I should have gone for a small instead)

I'm 5'7, 30" inseam.

I just did a full weekend in Sedona, the first real time spent on this new build, and while it felt pretty darn "right", today I moved the saddle forward pretty much all the way on the rails, and it felt worlds better climbing. I'm talking about barely a quarter inch!
    I'm wondering if this is somehow bad juju for bike fit-- if I'm screwing up , or "if it works ride it " should play here.

I've also thought about trying a shorter stem.

You are basically right in between sizes. Personally I would have chosen the small because the bike would have been more manueravable. If you are more of a cross country rider, you will be fine. If you tend to be more aggresive, the small may have been more appropriate.

If the top of the seat is NOT at least level or slightly higher with the stem, then you chose the wrong size. You won't be able to distribute enough weight to the front of the bike.

mtbr member
    I'd go with a much shorter stem. It's normal for climbing to feel better with the seat further forward, but what you've got going on seems a little excessive.

Try a shorter stem, scooting your seat back a little, and tilt the nose of the saddle up a little. I find it's most comfortable pointed just a little further up past horizontal.
    Team _________

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YaMon

If the top of the seat is NOT at least level or slightly higher with the stem, then you chose the wrong size. You won't be able to distribute enough weight to the front of the bike.

I think I'm ok as far as that goes--- seat is a bit higher than stem. Also, I'm using a Joplin seatpost, so apparently ( according to previous poster) there is some set back.
    I'm definitely going to try a shorter stem ( 70/80) as I think it may quicken up the steering a bit too.