resident crackpot

Santa Cruz Bontragers count?

Not really a genuine 'custom' builder, per se, but a classic nonetheless! Here's a picture of mine right before converting it to single speed:

VRC Illuminati
    I'll insert my request for a classic/vintage mtb forum here....
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

resident crackpot
    That makes much more sense...thanks for your interest. I know more people that ride bikes at least 5 years old than people that ride new, custom rides.

VRC Illuminati
    I like to use a rolling 10 year when it comes to vintage MTB's....
    But a classic is a classic. In my circle of riding buddies, I can think of at least 4 Race Lites, 2 Ti Lites and some CX and Road lites to boot.
    Post some pics of your Bonty, I'm always up for vintage steel.

-eric-

resident crackpot
    I can't get the jist of posting pics. Something is amiss. I see much larger pics than the 200k max that is allowed. How do they do that?

VRC Illuminati
    I haven't been able to post pics larger than 200k. I remotely link my smaller photos to clubphoto. People that have their own website or one with no remote linking restrictions can post much larger photos.
    The only other thing you can do is 'optimize' your photo in Photoshop...you can do things to reduce the file size and still have a large picture. Others here probably know more than I do though...
    -eric-

resident crackpot

Finally!!

And yet another try...I'll probably never remember how to do this though.

mtbr member
    That`s a very nice Bontrager you got there loonyOne.

resident crackpot
    Thank you very much! I happened on it when a local wrench decided he wanted to go 29er this past Spring and needed $$ to buy a Surly. He claims that there were only about 200 miles on it...now there are well over 2500...Not as many off road miles as I would like, but I road it for most of the year commuting.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by erol/frost
    That`s a very nice Bontrager you got there loonyOne.

suicycleist
    Yes it is very nice. I can attest to that since I have ridden it. Sweet ride Tomas, very sweet. I don't understand why when they get something right,(old Bontragers) they go and change everything.

mtbr member

Nice bikes. a couple of qusetions.

Rumpfy, which sticker set is that on the ti-lite. It looks a hell of alot better than stock and better than the bare frame I went to.

LoonyOne, where did you come accross the 1" manitou? How much travel does it have and how does it affect the handling? I am looking to replace an old z-2 and am checking out the options available. I have a line on a lot of the current marzocchis in 1" so things shouldn't be too tough.

Thanks all, take it easy

VRC Illuminati
    Another NorCal guy huh...right on!
    The decals on my friends bike, IIRC, he got directly from Keith. They're NOS and should be the correct decals for the Ti Lite, although I'm under the impression (on other Ti Lite's I've seen) that the majority of Ti Lite decals are in blue....
    Decals can make all the difference in the world.

If I may butt in on the fork speak....Some of the last (or newer) Bontragers that were post-Trek had 1 1/8 head tubes. It may or may not be the case with Loon's. I have also seen one other Bontrager go through the MTBR classifieds that had a 1 1/8 head tube conversion by the guys over at Rock Lobster in Santa Cruz, Ca. I don't think they make habit of that practice though...

My last little secret (not really a secret though) is to get in touch with Jerry Vanderpool of Hippie Tech Suspension. He's an ex-Rock Shox employee and may be able to track you down/ build you a 1" Judy or SID. He is very good at what he does, very personable as well.
    Mention my name and get a good seat
    Link:
    Hippie Tech Suspension
    He did a custom 1" SID for my Slingshot that was pretty slick.

Hope this helps!

-eric-

Quote Originally Posted by Boy named SSue
    Rumpfy, which sticker set is that on the ti-lite. It looks a hell of alot better than stock and better than the bare frame I went to.

LoonyOne, where did you come accross the 1" manitou? How much travel does it have and how does it affect the handling? I am looking to replace an old z-2 and am checking out the options available. I have a line on a lot of the current marzocchis in 1" so things shouldn't be too tough.

Thanks all, take it easy
    -eric-

resident crackpot
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy named SSue

Thanks all, take it easy
    The fork is actually a 2002 SixDeluxe.
    Back in March 2003 when I bought the bike, I found out quickly how much I despised the Judy XC that was on it.
    Singlespeedy had told me that RockShox was going to be making forks with one inchers again. On that note, I emailed Manitou about them making a 'by request only' run on forks with 1" steerers. I was turned down (don't ask me why..."Uh, we don't want to make money?"), but told that 35 SixDeluxe equipped with 1" steerers were still on the shelf. I replied and was filled in on what the forks exactly were....SX-R, renamed. @^&*$$ ya!

I then went through and arduous journey securing funds. In the meantime, Manitou sold 25 of these forks to Nashbar. They quickly sold them out at $200. When I finally got up the dough, they had but 4 (I think) left. That was back in October I think.

I then told Bobby that I was really looking to put a Skareb on it, and he accomodated me supremely by fitting the fork with a Skareb casting, complete with the Semi-bath lubrication. It has the normal 80mm of travel and is fully tunable. I was a touch worried that a fork with more travel, sans Bontrager offset, would create a different ride.......It has only gotten BETTER!! That's all for now, off to work.

NamaSSte, I will get the pics posted maybe tomorrow.

Latah all.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

1995 SC Race Lite with new 1 1/8 headtube and new paint

last of the sc-built race lites...just refurbished by Paul Sadoff at RockLobster with a 1 1/8 headtube (so I can run any fork now!) and new paint.

I'm running it as a 1x9 drivetrain right now...bonty ti crowbar, rubber, and grips...crono deep v ti wheels, white bros sc92ul with englund cartridges.
    Attached Images Attached Images

yog-sothoth
    I had an orange w/ white pannels race lite back in the day.... unfortunately it was stollen in less than a years time of purchasing it. man I loved that bike....

ryan s.
    On the morning of December 28th, Violet Kray received an official telegram from the governor of Winchester Gaol:

"Your son Ronald Kray is certified insane."

AM, monstercross, klunker
    I just resurrected my SC Bonty Race Lite MTB as a 'cross bike:
    Official Bontrager Thread