Mulleticious

Rock Lobster 853 Team Tig

Just wanted to share some pics of my new steel hardtail. On the wet, muddy clay trails of Hertfordshire it certainly beats using the full bouncer.

Don't know much about it - the Reynolds 853 steel tubed frame is apparently designed by a Paul Sadhoff. (Anyone heard of him?). Merlin cycles in Lancashire in the UK put the bike together for a very reasonable price, with the latest XT groupset and a Rock Shox Reba Team 100mm travel fork. They build their own wheels with 717 rims.

It's great fun to ride - nice and springy - so far. Weighs in at a shade over 27lbs complete with Ergon bar-ends, bottle cage and computer. I'm using Conti Explorer 2.1" tubeless (Stans) boots and Crank Bros egg-beaters.

What thoughts on steel frames? Anyone else have one? What have you done to it? Post some pics...

IMGP4036_450x600.JPG
    IMGP4030_800x600.JPG
    IMGP4034_450x600.JPG
    IMGP4035_800x600.JPG
    IMGP4032_800x600.JPG

mtbr member
    very cool frame

mtbr member
    did you do a google search on Rock Lobster Cycles? Gorgeous bike!

Mulleticious

interesting

Thanks mate - that's interesting. I didn't realise they made so few frames. I didn't have to wait that long for mine - I presume Merlin order in batches and I was lucky.

It rides really nicely - lots of fun.

I like butter
    Jan 2004
    http://mombat.org/Rock_Lobster.htm

if you look under 1999 Paul started a 5 year agreement with Merlin and I guess it has extended.

You are hard pressed to find a better guy than Paul Sadoff and can hear some of the funniest stories ever when you get him together with Ross Shafer.

illuminator82
    Jun 2004
    very very reputable frame builder out west. the cyclocross team just tears it up out here, in nor cal.. one of the best around imhu..up there with steelman, hunter, soulcraft, sycip and many many others...
    just my lousy 2 cents

I like butter
    Jan 2004
    Don't forget that Jeremy SyCip was an apprentice under Paul (Rock Lobster) Paul is a top notch builder and just a great guy.

Quote Originally Posted by brook_63@yahoo.com
    very very reputable frame builder out west. the cyclocross team just tears it up out here, in nor cal.. one of the best around imhu..up there with steelman, hunter, soulcraft, sycip and many many others...
    just my lousy 2 cents