mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Replacement Parts!

Curious if anyone else has had to wait over 3 months for a replacement part? I bought my XCL back in August and was overall very happy with the bike and the great customer service I received from xxxxxx. The bike came very well packaged and was easy to assemble so I could ride, some of the parts were used as I asked xxxxxx to keep within my price range, I was promised the parts although used would be in perfect working order. After riding the bike I noticed that it had trouble staying in gear and after spending alot of time adjusting the bike I could not get the chain to stay in gear on the front chainrings. I finally discovered that the front chainrings were bent and could be noticed when pedaling. Guess the chainrings were either bent in shipping or since they were used they could have been before installed.

Although the chainrings were bent I was still very happy with my purchase and I still am its a great performing bike when I can keep it in gear.

I emailed xxxxxx and let him know about the chainrings I even sent him some pics. He responds to my emails quickly but still over 3 months later xxxxxx is telling me that the chain rings are coming. I have waited long enough. I mean over three months for a replacement front chainring set is ridiculous. Heck I would of accepted a credit and bought another set if it was a matter of something being out of stock or backordered. The most frustrating part is I have an awesome bike that I cant truly enjoy. Imagine pedaling uphill on your new sweet bike when the chain gives and throws your knees into the stem. After three or four times I put it in the garage. Not sure what else I can do. I can easily buy a new chainring set and throw it on there and go on my way, but I dont want to throw more money into a bike that should be good to go. Plus it is freezing here now so I have been more patient then I would have been if it was the middle of the summer.
    Last edited by casey79westfalia; 11-26-2008 at 12:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Nice.

Just to be accurate I was charged $150.00 for an FSA Afterburner crankset. Not 5$. Your response is very unfair. Why should I just buy a bike, pay $150.00 for a crank and then just deal with the fact that it is broken. Heck it seems I over paid for that crankset considering what they can be bought for new on the internet anyways. I dont care what it cost I just want it to work. Why didnt I just throw $150 in the trash can. Seriously.

I bought a high end bike and all I am asking for is/was a working part. I think waiting 3 months is ridiculous for a part. if it was your bike you would do the same I guarantee.

I have already mentioned that I love the bike, i just want my bike to be the way It should be and what I paid for. What is amazing to me is that you went through the effort to type that response to defend something that is clearly not right. This thread is not to bash chumba, so please, I dont need people to come post and try and cut me down for wanting my bike to be the way It should be.
    Last edited by casey79westfalia; 11-25-2008 at 07:34 PM.

mtbr member

warranty

casey:

Please send your bottom bracket and cranks back to Chumba so the warranty department can handle it. I have been out on the road and it is impossible for us to warranty a part unless we receive the part back first due to our warranty process.

I do not handle this department and was only trying to do you another favor.

Thank you in advance for your understanding in this matter as I do not control the warranty department.
    RAZZ
    CHUMBA RACING

mtbr member

appreciate your interest

Typically parts have to be returned before they can be put through a warranty process, which in this case, the customer was trying to save mechanic fees and we tried to accommodate. However, not knowing exactly the issue, sourcing the right part is quite difficult so as he was MORE than taken care of in the beginning, and now will be put through the complete warranty process per deciding that a public forum is the best way to resolve the issue.

Per his words, the product could have been damaged in shipping etc. I agree, I hate it when a Chumba is not out in the dirt, but when I take a loss on a sale to help out someone in a "financial bind" (and continued to do so then have my business ethics questioned, this is hardly the place to figure out the best solution. Thus the best solution is the complete return of the part for analysis and the warranty department. Once again, you make a great point for the amount of information you were privy to in order to reach your conclusion.

Thank you.
    RAZZ
    CHUMBA RACING

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    I hope this gets resolved to the OP's and Mfr.s satisfaction

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CdaleTony
    I hope this gets resolved to the OP's and Mfr.s satisfaction

Are you Mikhail Gorbachev?

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005