Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    WWJR

Rear derailleur hanger?

'08 XCL. Where? How much? Thanks
    Last edited by IH8MUD; 08-24-2008 at 07:18 AM.

I'm living the dream!
    Call Chumba. I've gotten a few in the past year. I keep a spare in my camel back and one in the toolbox now. They're soft but I haven't broken a derailleur so I guess they're doing their job.

mtbr member
    Buy a Saint rear D and escape the cycle of frustration. Jenson still has them for $24. Chumba makes awesome bikes, I absolutely love my EVO, but their derailleur hangers are like butter, and not in the good way! It's not saving anything, it's just a weak part.

mtbr member

RD Hanger

Call 800-706-0760
    Service most hours including nights and weekends
    RAZZ
    CHUMBA RACING

mtbr member

Correction after hours

call direct 714-986-9100
    sorry, we're usually here wrenching...
    RAZZ
    CHUMBA RACING

WWJR
    Quote Originally Posted by hardway
    Buy a Saint rear D and escape the cycle of frustration. Jenson still has them for $24. Chumba makes awesome bikes, I absolutely love my EVO, but their derailleur hangers are like butter, and not in the good way! It's not saving anything, it's just a weak part.
    i think RickyD has nailed it! I would rather a cheap hanger break instead of a $75 deailleur. But thanks for the suggestion!

mtbr member
    @ $12 a piece you'll hit $75 pretty quick.

mtbr member

Solutions are Everything

We were just interested in if your particular set up might be contributing to the break and we also try to take care of customer issues noteworthy of this board so you are still welcome to call as we still seem to be a wrenching...

Your moxie and tenacity represent a lot of what goes into Chumba frame inspiration so keep it up

Thanks...
    RAZZ
    CHUMBA RACING

Flying Goat
    could you be laying your bike down on the derailluer side??? if not, start dodging them rocks... Out of my 2 years riding i've only bent a hanger once and i'm not the smoothest rider out there either...

WWJR
    Quote Originally Posted by Chumbawrld
    We were just interested in if your particular set up might be contributing to the break and we also try to take care of customer issues noteworthy of this board so you are still welcome to call as we still seem to be a wrenching...

Your moxie and tenacity represent a lot of what goes into Chumba frame inspiration so keep it up

Thanks...
    OH MAN! Props to yall! I really appreciate the quick response. I love this bike thru and thru!!!! Hell,I was bombin down some extremely sik terrain. Rocky/rooty, drops, etc... So, it wasnt any manufacturer defect! I just like to fukkit up!
    My LBS (Golden Bike Shop) was open @ 9am this morn. I called em up and they had (3) hangers $20/piece. Since I had pulled my derailleur off on the trail I had mangled up the end of the cable. For a 12pack of Dew, they hooked me up on the spot!! Changed out the broken hanger, installed new cable, a quick tune up, and I was out the door for another ride!

mtbr member
    Not laying down on derailleur side, not smacking derailleur on rocks.
    My hangers would always bend out, away from the wheel, and develop hairline cracks at the point where it reduces thickness The design of the derailleur hanger gives it a lot of strength when pushed in, towards the wheel, but VERY little when pulled out, away from
    the wheel.
    Here you can see one of my bent hangers. The crack and direction of bending is obvious, I have 5 or 6 more just like this one.

I was running a two ring holzfeller up front and an 8 speed SRAM cassette in back with an x-9 rear d. when these things were failing left and right. I tried lengthening my chain, one link at a time, until it was visibly sagging, which is obviously too far. The hangers bent at every reasonable chain length, so no success there.

My gut feeling was that the hangers were being pulled outwards as the suspension cycled, and bending due to their soft material and inherent lack of strength in that direction.

I have a lot of gullies/ravines and creeks that I ride through on my downhills, so I like to keep my chain on the middle (my big as I only run two rings) up front and the second or third biggest on the rear, so I can pedal up the other side of a ravine without changing gears to do it. This makes my chainline go slightly from left (in back) to right (in front), the same direction my hangers were always bending.

I switched up to an XT crank because the chain rings sit closer in to the frame due to the lack of a BB spindle. This reduced the angle of the chainline, and it GREATLY reduced the number of hangers I was bending. When I finally bent a hanger with my XT setup, I said, "Screw it" and bought the Saint from Jenson for $24. I had a rear hub that converted to 10mm/12mm through axle, so that wasn't a problem.

I love the Saint and am stoked with its quick shifting and super strong spring. The thing acts like a chain tensioner it pulls so hard. I never drop chain. Now there's nothing but love between my EVO and me, that's why I advocate the Saint to anyone who has hanger issues.
    Cheers!
    Last edited by hardway; 08-24-2008 at 04:41 PM.

it's....
    Just replaced my hanger for the first time.
    Mine was bent in after a washout, but still shifted and pedaled fine enough for me to finish the ride.
    Comcycle has replacement hangers for $9.95 so order a few extra.
    http://www.comcycle-usa.com/ProductInfo.aspx?id=2486964

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I replaced mine a few weeks ago after falling on the derailleur side and bending the hanger each time. I also picked up a couple at Comcycle.

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

Try a Shadow XT Der

Quote Originally Posted by hullendersauce
    OH MAN! Props to yall! I really appreciate the quick response. I love this bike thru and thru!!!! Hell,I was bombin down some extremely sik terrain. Rocky/rooty, drops, etc... So, it wasnt any manufacturer defect! I just like to fukkit up!
    My LBS (Golden Bike Shop) was open @ 9am this morn. I called em up and they had (3) hangers $20/piece. Since I had pulled my derailleur off on the trail I had mangled up the end of the cable. For a 12pack of Dew, they hooked me up on the spot!! Changed out the broken hanger, installed new cable, a quick tune up, and I was out the door for another ride!
    I too, love tech rides. Here in western Pa. it's rocks, roots and lots of ups and downs. I bent 3 hangers since Jan and was losing my mind. I put on a Shimano Shadow XT derailleur and have not bent a hanger since. Of course this means that this Wed PM I'll probably tear my derailleur off! Doh! The Shadow really tucks under the chainstay and protrudes no more than the QR nut! Good stuff! Plus, the Shadow uses a stiffer spring so it really shifts nicely!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Chumba's hangers have been improved

Just after buying my XCL from bitterbrushcycles, I emailed them and asked about the reported relatively high breakage rate. Here's what they said:

They used to be made of a really thin aluminum, now they are made of 7075
    aluminum,a lot stronger.

So make sure that the replacement hangers you're getting are the 'improved' versions! Could be that your source still has the 'thin' versions in stock. I don't know how to tell which one(s) you have, unless of course you have one of both.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I bent a few of the black hangars, got some silver ones and they've been holding up well. Using an Evo, not XCL, but I think the part is the same...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

I cracked a few black ones too

Recently started the new aluminium ones and yet to see what happens

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

unfortunatly another hanger cracked

The crack is on hte exact same place as in hte above photo. It is hte silver one now.

is the Saint derailliur hanger a full replacement? Do i need to do anything special?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rmargoli
    The crack is on hte exact same place as in hte above photo. It is hte silver one now.

is the Saint derailliur hanger a full replacement? Do i need to do anything special?
    The saint is a rear derailleur, not just a hanger. It attaches directly to a 10mm through axle that goes through your rear hub and bolts into the dropouts. The saint basically acts as the drive side bolt that holds the hub in the dropouts, with a regular bolt on the other side, so there's no hanger to bend. You also get a stiffer rear end due to the solid bolt on axle.

Jenson has them for cheap.
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...rlr+135Mm.aspx

To make it work, you need a rear hub you can convert to take a through axle, either 10mm or 12mm. If you can convert to 10mm, you're good to go and just need to buy the saint and a 10mm axle and bolt the thing on. If you can convert to 12mm, you need a 12mm - 10mm reducer axle, problem solvers makes a good one.

If you don't have a convertible rear hub, this fix becomes somewhat expensive. I personally think it's still worth it for the elimination of frustration of bent hangers, added stiffness of the rear end, and superior spring of the saint (like a chain tensioner built right into your derailleur, no more chain drops, ever!), but you may not.

Otherwise, check your chainlength and make sure its not to short, then call Chumba CS.
    Good luck!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Thanks for the thorow reply

My Rear Hub is DT340. I'll look into it

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I just broke my D hanger today... 5 mins into a ride, Curious to know if there is a difference between the black or silver hanger, strength wise. I ride a 2008 evo. Would like to get one asap as the weather here in BC is good for the week.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Will the saint derailluer work with the DT-Swiss 10mm RWS skewer?

Thanks
    Last edited by Bike Poor; 09-10-2008 at 08:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Poor
    Will the saint derailluer work with the DT-Swiss 10mm RWS skewer?

Thanks
    Not sure. You need a 10mm threaded stub that clears the dropouts by about 1/2" on each side. Enough to take a nut on the brake side and the saint on the drive side. If you can put a 10mm skewer through your hub, there's 10mm through axles out there for cheap that you can use. I think I remember dubjay saying that the dt swiss skewer worked, do a search here on mtbr for it.

wuss
    I was just heading out for a ride and noticed my deraileur hanger was bent outwards. It's a new bike (07 model though) and I've only had 3 rides on it prior to this.

I have no idea how it bent, I never hit anything or fell down. I did have the frame lying down without wheels for a while at the office for two weeks, and I guess it's possible somebody moved it and banged it (no marks though).

Luckily I was able to use 3 gears, and had one of the best rides of my life despite the bent hanger.

Unfortunatly the local dealer is closed for a while, hopefully he returns before I have time to go ride again (and hopefully he has extra hangers).

I'm living the dream!
    That's a bummer. If a LBS has a hanger straightener, it should get you close until you can get a new one. I had a mechanic straighten mine out a few weeks ago and it's been good to go on the past few rides.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast