mtbr member

Quick F5 Chainsuck Fix

Some people have mentioned that they were experiencing some chainsuck on their F5. While we are working on a more permanent solution - here is a quick fix one of our mechanics came up with.

Materials:

1. Spoke
    2. Zip ties
    3. Adhesive

Use the spoke in a U shape to contain the chain as pictures, then poke the spokes through the adhesive and run it under where the zip ties are - then tighten the zip ties to secure the spokes and rub the adhesive on the swingarm.

-A.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

yarrrp
    May 2007
    elaborate on adhesive please

mtbr member
    I used a piece of square plastic tubing attached to the Chainstay in the same place. It works really well, and no metal to metal noise
    Team _________

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I use the e.13 SRS. The only time I had chain suck was when I "bottomed out" on a huge rock. This caused the back plate to rotate clockwise. I had no idea that it did move and I had chain suck. I then realized that it had moved and just rotated the back place all the way back counter-clockwise and put some fresh lock-tite on and it has held. I have since hit some rocks pretty hard and it has not moved.

Again this is for the e.13 SRS, I have not sure how different it would be with any other chainguide.

I will try to get some pic's of what I mean also if I was not clear.

yarrrp
    May 2007
    pics would be good

yarrrp
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rollertoaster
    I used a piece of square plastic tubing attached to the Chainstay in the same place. It works really well, and no metal to metal noise
    can you post up a close up of this please. thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUMBAevo
    Some people have mentioned that they were experiencing some chainsuck on their F5. While we are working on a more permanent solution - here is a quick fix one of our mechanics came up with.

Materials:

1. Spoke
    2. Zip ties
    3. Adhesive

Use the spoke in a U shape to contain the chain as pictures, then poke the spokes through the adhesive and run it under where the zip ties are - then tighten the zip ties to secure the spokes and rub the adhesive on the swingarm.

-A.
    Basically It's a DH bike tube cut to fit the chain stay with double stick 3M tape to hold it on (also cut to shape of chain stay). The spoke guide legs are then poked through the tube so they are hidden beneath and don't get banged on or snagged on anything. The zip ties are just reassurance that it wont be going anywhere.

banned
    I've always had good luck with just putting a zip tie or two on the CS yoke, with the tabs sticking a bit out and towards the bottom so the chain doesn't have a chance of getting caught in there at all. Now I have a Blackspire Stinger and on super muddy rides, I unhook my chain from the guide and that prevents it from being sucked up.

mtbr member
    I've got a custom chain device which I built myself (basically just like lower part of a e13 with no taco), I have run this for nearly two years and have never had a dropped chain or chain suck. It sits nicely tucked out the way so hasn't suffered any damage, it has all the protection of two bash rings, and the lot weighs under 300g It's got a nice countersunk bolt on it now so it looks a bit neater, I just don't have a photo!

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by funkydrummer
    I've got a custom chain device which I built myself (basically just like lower part of a e13 with no taco), I have run this for nearly two years and have never had a dropped chain or chain suck. It sits nicely tucked out the way so hasn't suffered any damage, it has all the protection of two bash rings, and the lot weighs under 300g It's got a nice countersunk bolt on it now so it looks a bit neater, I just don't have a photo!

Wow - that's pretty cool. Do you have any extras I can try out?
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Hehe - this one's still only really a working prototype (MKIII I think!). MKII worked fine but was noisy and ugly as sin - with this one the backplate is carbon fibre (stiff as anything and light as a feather) and I hand filed the alu chain guides. It's still a bit rough but it works a treat - I used the softer e13 rollers which are really quiet too. I'm glad you like it!

Flying Goat
    very cool dude!