Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Post your Sette Reken

47K views 158 replies 54 participants last post by  Rootdown4594 
#1 · (Edited)
Lets see all the Variations. Post specs if you wish also.

Sette Reken Frame 18" Custom White/Black
Sette Venn Seat Post
Sette Type B Lock on Grips
Sette Vector T6 Handle Bar
Manitou R7 Elite
Titec Big Al Stem
Avid Speed Dial 7 Levers
Avid BB7 Disc Brakes*
Shimano Deore Disc Hubs with Sun Rhyno Rims
Panaracer Fire XC Tires
Race Face Ride XC Crank
Salsa 32T Chain Ring
Race Face Bash guard
Selle San Marco Saddle
Shimano Clipless Pedals
Sram 9 speed chain
Sram PG-990 9 Speed Cassette 11-32
Sram X-9 Short Cage Derailluer
Sram X-7 Trigger Shifter
Jagwire Shifter Cable*
Shimano Cable Housing Shifter
Alligator Super Fortress Brake Cables

26lb 10.1oz
on my shipping scale

See less See more
#125 ·
I guess the safest way to do it is to hacksaw as much as you can then file the rest.I'm too nervous right now to use a grinder...but might try.I filed a couple of the cable guides down already so I could run full length housing through them...it takes quite a while.Maybe I used the wrong tooth file though.i'm gonna try to use a drill and bit on some...but the close tolerances os the stops make it hard to position the drill.I have a cheapo dremel tool, but not enough torque to cut the aluminum...it is pretty tough.

#127 ·
Can you link the HF site tool(s) you're talking about?
I'd greatly appreciate it...no sense guessing and getting the wrong tools.
Z
Better to ask when I dunno something I say.The only really dumb(within reason) question is the one that aren't asked.LOL

#130 ·
Well, I’ve been hammering away on my Reken now for the past 2 months
And I have to say I couldn’t be more pleased with it! Flicks great, climbs well
And I have no complaints about bombing down hills!! For a $90.00 frame
I have ridden this thing hard and it rocks!

#132 ·
Now it is 100%

My buddies specialized hard rock and mine. Picture taken at Trexler town getting ready to drop in HP3. Normally I would swap bikes for one or two runs. But I just hate the fork he has. I'm not even sure it is working right. I feel like it is a rigid fork 0_o

#137 ·
THanks, I was looking for straight tubes though - So far i've found the Surly Instigator, and the Salsa CroMo - I really want the Instigator, however its 100mm suspension corrected...I'm concerned coupling that with 650b rims would make the front end too long...thoughts? I know I can get the Salsa CroMo with 425mm A-C versus the Instigator's 447 A-C......thoughts?

#138 ·
I just fit a set of 29er wheels to my Reken commuter. They DO fit. However, I'm using a rigid Mosso fork so it has more clearance than a suspension fork. I'll be using some low profile 700x35 slicks that will allow the rear wheel to fit in the frame as well. I believe this is the way to go if you want to use the largest wheels possible in a Reken. I'll post pics when I get my tires.

Does anyone know if there will be any cons to fitting 29er wheels to my frame?

#139 ·
it's gonna highten your bottom bracket height...if that matters.
It also could cause toe overlap...that means the front wheel will be closer to your foot...could cause problems during turning...that depends on the length of the top tube and your shoe size.

#141 · (Edited)
It won't be more slack than how I had it set up with a 100mm Rockshox SID and 26" wheels. The fork I have now is not suspension corrected and a 29er wheel fits quite well.

This is the bike fitted with 29" wheels and FLAT 2.3 tires. It's a tight fit, but there won't be any problem mounting 700x35 tires for urban riding. The head angle in this configuration (bare rims) is 71 degrees. :cool:

So yeah, I now have a Reken 29er.

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim

#143 ·
It won't be more slack than how I had it set up with a 100mm Rockshox SID and 26" wheels. The fork I have now is not suspension corrected and a 29er wheel fits quite well.

This is the bike fitted with 29" wheels and FLAT 2.3 tires. It's a tight fit, but there won't be any problem mounting 700x35 tires for urban riding. The head angle in this configuration (bare rims) is 71 degrees. :cool:

So yeah, I now have a Reken 29er.

View attachment 825241
you're right.I didn't remember that both wheels are 29er...so the ht angle is ok.
...as lng as you don't have a toe overlap problem,and you can live with the hightened bottom bracket, you're good to go.
Me my self, I'm gonna try a 650b set-up.

#142 ·
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle part Bicycle handlebar Bicycle accessory

Some small adjustments since I last posted..like the Thompson seatpost I broke the carbon Sette post in a few months I have been riding this bike hard and gotta say LOVE it! for a $90 frame you simply cant beat it. Stiff and handles well.

Attachments

#146 ·

This project started a few weeks ago as a budget frame project and things just added up from there. I sourced a lot off eBay and used the price match at Jenson and Tree House. I forgot brake and shifter cables until a few days ago, so it will be a week or so until they arrive. The total is $924 and includes shipping costs.
The only big problem so far was the bottom bracket was really crooked, but my local bike shop (Marty's Cycle) faced the head tube and bottom bracket very reasonably getting me out of a jam. I haven't assembled a bike in 25 years, but so far this has gone well.
Seat/Seat Post Used/Owned .00
Ritchey Grips Owned .00
Disk brakeset Avid BBDB $37.61
700mm Ritchey Carbon Bars $29.98
Fox Pedals $17.49
Wheel set Xm119/Deore $106.00
Avid FR5 Lever set $12.00
160mm Hs1 Rotors Pair $11.90
Sette Reken 18" Frame $112.00
x7 Rear Der 10sp $46.73
PC 1031 Chain $20.38
x9 10s Shifter $52.69
Stem RaceFace 70mm $14.99
Jagwire Hyper cable kits $32.00
Salsa Cromoto 26 445AC Fork $99.95
Shimano SLX CS-HG81 Cassette 11-36 $59.99
Race Face Ride 1x Crankset $84.99
System 4 26x2.25 Tires x2 $40.00
Tubes $6.00
Shimano SLX CS-HG81-10 ten speed cassette $59.99
Origin8 headset $45.00
Labor: Face Headset and BB + Install Headset $35.00

#147 ·
Built up a 14" Reken frame for my 12yo nephew, he's loving it. Unfortunately he seems to be a natural on the bike so I figure I only have a few years before he starts crushing me ;-)

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

14" Sette Reken Frame
Fox 32 F100 RL fork
Avid BB7 brakes / levers
Salsa Moto Ace bars / Sette grips
Sram X.7 2x10 drivetrain
DMR V8 pedals
Ritchey Comp headset and seatpost
WTB Rocket V saddle
Mavic XC717 rims / XT hubs
Kenda Nevegal tires

#148 ·
Sette Reken - 650B!

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel

Build this Sette Reken (650B, 1x10) for my wife!

16" Reken Frame
cane creek headset
x-fusion enix (650b compatible fork)
WTB Frequency i23 650b Rims (stickers removed)
2.35x650b Kenda Nevegal Tires
raceface ride stem
raceface bars
ESI grips (Hot pink)
FSA seat post
Selle Italia Diva Flow seat post
Avid BB7 brakes
Avid Speed Dial 7 levers
SLX 10speed shifter
SLX 10speed cassette
SLX 10-speed chain
RaceFace single speed crankset w/ external bottom bracket.
MRP chain guide (BB mounted)
Forte convert pedals.
Hot pink brake housing.

This was a really fun build, and I learned a LOT about bike building/tuning!

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel rim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.