Post Your Mountain Cycle

Printable View

  • 08-28-2007
    TWISTED
    Post Your Mountain Cycle
    Post photos of your Mountain Cycle bikes on this thread.

    Here's a couple of my old bikes that were, um... interesting.

    Tim


  • 08-28-2007
    End-er
    1 Attachment(s)
    My San Andreas, early cycling again, i hope...
  • 08-28-2007
    SanAnMan
    1 Attachment(s)
    I've had three over the years
    Here's my san andreas. I'm looking for a 1999 to 2002 san andreas main frame.
  • 08-28-2007
    MC9.5
    5 Attachment(s)
    Here they are...:thumbsup:
  • 08-28-2007
    spyder56
    2 Attachment(s)
    My Rumble
  • 08-28-2007
    mcrumble69
    Here's my Fury in some of it's different setups.




    Rumble


  • 08-28-2007
    cHoc Nr1
    my MC collection

    My Shockwave


    My Fury in different set-ups
    Start (XC)

    intermeding..... XC/4X

    Current 4X/play
  • 08-30-2007
    tacc13
    1 Attachment(s)
    My Fury during a trip to Whakarewarewa in Rotorua (New Zealand). Bike has since had forks changed to Pike 454's, new crankset, shifters, derailleur.
  • 09-06-2007
    Timur_j
    My Zen
  • 09-06-2007
    eauxgod
    rumble
  • 09-10-2007
    regis06
    Here is my MOHO SLIX.



    FRAME: MOUNTAIN CYCLE MOHO SLIX SIZE M
    REAR SHOCK: DT SWISS HVR 200
    FORK: FOX TALAS RLC
    HEADSET: CHRIS KING BLACK
    STEM: THOMSON ELITE
    HANDLE BAR: ANSWER PRO TAPER XC CARBON
    BRAKES: HOPE MONO MINI FRONT 180/REAR 160 FLOATING DISCS
    DERAILLEURS FRONT/REAR: SHIMANO XTR/XTR (M952)
    SHIFTERS: SRAM TRIGGER ROCKET
    CRANKSET: SHIMANO XT HOLLOWTECH II
    PEDALS: TIME Z CONTROL
    CASSETTE: STRONGLIGHT TITANE 11-32
    CHAIN: SRAM PC99 HOLLOWPIN
    HUBS: DT SWISS 240 (now CHRIS KING ISO BLACK)
    RIMS: MAVIC X3.1 (now DT SWISS 4.1)
    SPOKES: DT COMPETITION 2.0/1.8 (now SAPIM CX RAY)
    WHEEL QR: DT SWISS (now SALSA FLIP-OFFS TITANIUM BLACK)
    SEAT POST: THOMSON ELITE (now GRAVITYDROPPER 2 inches)
    SEAT: FI'ZI:K NISENE TWIN TECH
    SEAT CLAMP: MOUNTAIN CYCLE
    FRONT TIRE: SCHWALBE BIG JIM TUBELESS (now FAT ALBERT TUBELESS) + SEALANT STAN NOTUBES
    REAR TIRE: SCHWALBE JIMMY TUBELESS (now ALBERT TUBELESS) + SEALANT STAN NOTUBES
  • 09-10-2007
    Ericmopar
    Hey Tim, is that silver San An the one you told me you modified to have some monster travel at one point in time ?
  • 09-10-2007
    TWISTED
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Ericmopar
    Hey Tim, is that silver San An the one you told me you modified to have some monster travel at one point in time ?

    No, I had both my '98 black and raw finish '00 San Andreas's back before I started working for MC. I messed around with my current red '03 San Andreas, using different mounts, a 9.5" rear shock and an '03 Monster T. I highly recommend against anyone trying this since it rode horribly and is not designed for that type of riding anyway.
  • 09-11-2007
    Ericmopar
    Do you mean a 9.5" eye to eye shock or rear wheel travel after your hot rodding job?
    I'm trying to visualise this "Franken Bike" you created.

    Later, Eric.

    Just so you know; I have no intention of repeating the experiment.
  • 09-11-2007
    TWISTED
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Ericmopar
    Do you mean a 9.5" eye to eye shock or rear wheel travel after your hot rodding job?
    I'm trying to visualise this "Franken Bike" you created.

    Later, Eric.

    Just so you know; I have no intention of repeating the experiment.

    I said "9.5" rear shock", meaning the rear shock measures nine and a half inches. The rear travel also measured about 9.5" based on the shock's three inch stroke and the 3.1 to 1 leverage ratio.
  • 09-11-2007
    cHoc Nr1
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TWISTED
    No, I had both my '98 black and raw finish '00 San Andreas's back before I started working for MC. I messed around with my current red '03 San Andreas, using different mounts, a 9.5" rear shock and an '03 Monster T. I highly recommend against anyone trying this since it rode horribly and is not designed for that type of riding anyway.

    A bike friend of mine had probably the same setup a few years ago, a Super Monster T with a shock to "match"
    He mentionend that it rode silly, and i also rode a few feet on it, you almost had to use a ladder to get on, and the riding is horrible indeed.
    He broke his frame during a 10ft drop that same day.
  • 09-11-2007
    TWISTED
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by cHoc Nr1
    A bike friend of mine had probably the same setup a few years ago, a Super Monster T with a shock to "match"
    He mentionend that it rode silly, and i also rode a few feet on it, you almost had to use a ladder to get on, and the riding is horrible indeed.
    He broke his frame during a 10ft drop that same day.

    I had to use many different mounts and bits from different frames to get that long rear shock to fit, I doubt anyone else has gone to the trouble and expense. I only had it together like that to see if it was possible, then quickly took it apart. At the same time, I had my 5" Z1 on the front of my 9.5. Now that was a weird set-up.:skep:

    The drop isn't what broke that frame. Bolting a 14lb 12" travel fork to a 6lb frame desinged around a 3" to 6" fork is definitely what killed that frame.:nono:

    Remember, there was DH ten and fifteen years ago, but it was much different from the DH of today. The San Andreas is not a modern style DH frame.
  • 09-11-2007
    Ericmopar
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TWISTED
    I said "9.5" rear shock", meaning the rear shock measures nine and a half inches. The rear travel also measured about 9.5" based on the shock's three inch stroke and the 3.1 to 1 leverage ratio.

    I thought you probably meant what you said, but my brain was having trouble imagining a 9.5" shock mounted in a San Andreas.:shocked:

    I've got to make me a shim for my San An and try that.

    Later, Eric.
  • 09-11-2007
    cHoc Nr1
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TWISTED
    I had to use many different mounts and bits from different frames to get that long rear shock to fit, I doubt anyone else has gone to the trouble and expense. I only had it together like that to see if it was possible, then quickly took it apart. At the same time, I had my 5" Z1 on the front of my 9.5. Now that was a weird set-up.:skep:

    The drop isn't what broke that frame. Bolting a 14lb 12" travel fork to a 6lb frame desinged around a 3" to 6" fork is definitely what killed that frame.:nono:

    Remember, there was DH ten and fifteen years ago, but it was much different from the DH of today. The San Andreas is not a modern style DH frame.

    He had that setup for a few months, I think he had that shock and test fitted it and made one set of shockmounts to get it as far up to the frontseattube as possible.
    About the broken frame, it sure was due to the frontfork, he knew that too.
  • 09-11-2007
    Timur_j
    1 Attachment(s)
    routes of my Zen
    My bike does not like garage ;)
    (Photo is from album).
  • 09-11-2007
    Ericmopar
    Routes of my Zen...

    That looks so much like the East Bay Regional Park District, back home in the San Francisco Bay Area, that its making me homesick.
    Where was that photo taken?

    Later, Eric.
  • 09-11-2007
    TWISTED
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SanAnMan
    Here's my san andreas. I'm looking for a 1999 to 2002 san andreas main frame.

    You need a 2001 or earlier main frame with the VPS front shock mount. The 2002 (and newer) uses a cartridge bearing main pivot and would not work with your swingarm.

    Hope this helps.
    Tim
  • 09-14-2007
    Timur_j
    Are there passes 8000 ft above sea level in the park? :rolleyes: Pictures are from Tien-Shan mountains (Cental Asia, Kazakhstan)
  • 09-14-2007
    SanAnMan
    5 Attachment(s)
    San Andreas Rule!
    Here's my '03 that I regretfully sold.
    The other polished one is a pic I had but don't know who's it is.
  • 09-14-2007
    Ericmopar
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Timur_j
    Are there passes 8000 ft above sea level in the park? :rolleyes: Pictures are from Tien-Shan mountains (Cental Asia, Kazakhstan)

    No, nothing that high. We had rolling hills no higher than 2500 ft. in the East Bay park system. What is amazing, is the resembalence in the photos, to the open tree less areas of the East Bay Parks.
    The color of the grass, dirt on the road and rocks, combined with the way the terrain is laid out, looks like parts of California's foothill areas.

    Later, Eric.
  • 09-15-2007
    byd1380
    1 Attachment(s)
    My San Andreas
    Here's a pic of my san Andreas, I have actually just bought a Foes frame, so this one is for sale. I have fitted a Different shock from the pic aswell.

    Cheers

    Ivan
  • 09-17-2007
    o b u t t o
    1 Attachment(s)
    Hey all, great lookin MC's!!

    Here is my new Rumble :) Just bought the frame and moved all my old components over from my old ride (Specialized Pro). It's been a few years since I rode, but now am living in Beijing so I thought I'd climb back in the saddle.

    After seeing all the great reviews on the Rumble frame I luckily found one at a bike shop near my place.....WOOOT~~!! Since I BMX'd alot when I was a kid, this frame seemed to be just what I needed. I never liked my old Specialized with rear suspension (lousy early rear suspension design) cuz it never felt stable.

    Due to a lack of fund'age I couldn't buy some new 130mm single crown forks, but the shop had this used Marzocchi Junior T 03 at a great price. I gathered from reading reviews that 130mm travel is just right for this frame, but my old Rock Shox Indy forks were 80mm, and that just seemed like it would ruin the ride (or my face when endo'ing) so I got the Junior T's.

    Anyhow, I was hoping someone could shed some light on the probs I may encounter running this fork. Most of my riding is around the city, but I'd love to hit the mountains on the outskirts to catch some air. The folks at the bike shop are DH nutters, so I'm sure I'll have to join them sometime soon :D Any comments are appreciated :)

    Regards,
    Chris
  • 09-17-2007
    Kohes
    Hi All, here's a pic of my San Andreas, It hard to come by a bike like this.

    to fullfill

    Cheers

    Koh
  • 09-17-2007
    lv4sndz
    Obottu dont worry about the dual crown fork on that frame. I have the same fork on my rumble. Its so much fun to ride. Ill put pictures of mine up later tonight.
  • 09-17-2007
    TWISTED
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by o b u t t o
    Hey all, great lookin MC's!!

    Here is my new Rumble :) Just bought the frame and moved all my old components over from my old ride (Specialized Pro). It's been a few years since I rode, but now am living in Beijing so I thought I'd climb back in the saddle.

    After seeing all the great reviews on the Rumble frame I luckily found one at a bike shop near my place.....WOOOT~~!! Since I BMX'd alot when I was a kid, this frame seemed to be just what I needed. I never liked my old Specialized with rear suspension (lousy early rear suspension design) cuz it never felt stable.

    Due to a lack of fund'age I couldn't buy some new 130mm single crown forks, but the shop had this used Marzocchi Junior T 03 at a great price. I gathered from reading reviews that 130mm travel is just right for this frame, but my old Rock Shox Indy forks were 80mm, and that just seemed like it would ruin the ride (or my face when endo'ing) so I got the Junior T's.

    Anyhow, I was hoping someone could shed some light on the probs I may encounter running this fork. Most of my riding is around the city, but I'd love to hit the mountains on the outskirts to catch some air. The folks at the bike shop are DH nutters, so I'm sure I'll have to join them sometime soon :D Any comments are appreciated :)

    Regards,
    Chris

    The only problems will be when you are doing BMX style riding since you'll have slacker geometry and won't be able to do x-ups. Your bike will be better for riding with the ""DH nutters", since the longer front travel and slacker geometry will help you out. Don't worry about the bigger fork damaging the frame, you'll be fine. I had a huge *' Monster T on my Rumble for a while, no problem,

    Tim
  • 09-17-2007
    o b u t t o
    Cheers fellas, glad to hear the frames integrity isn't being compromised with this fork. I'm taking it out to a local bmx track this week to get some small air.......it's been a while and these guys at the bike shop are pretty persistent on getting me out there, so perhaps the flatter bmx track will be good practice. I hope it doesn't take too long to get used to the weight of the front end ;)

    Thanks again for the help!
  • 10-08-2007
    Mountain Cycle Shawn
    3 Attachment(s)
    Here's mine
    Its a '96.
  • 10-08-2007
    Padi R
    1 Attachment(s)
    My 2003 San Andreas...
    Set up for XC with Bomber drop-offs.
  • 10-09-2007
    thekiltedskier










    Ahem, a small Scottish gathering of MC's!

    Gus
  • 10-31-2007
    Peak Panther
    2 Attachment(s)
    My original San Andreas
    Hi folks, I am new here and glad to find some fellow Mountain cycle owners.
    Here is my San Andreas that I have had from new since about '94 or '95. Changed a few things over the years (rear shock, forks) but I love this bike!!
    See you in the Peak District, UK sometime....
    PS Does anyone know how I can fit modern disc brakes onto the old Pro Stop lugs on the rear swing arm?
  • 10-31-2007
    MC9.5
    Nice!
    Now that is a Classic!!!....(pun intended).:thumbsup:
  • 11-02-2007
    Bingo9point5
    1 Attachment(s)
    Check it out my babe:)
  • 11-02-2007
    thekiltedskier
    MMMMM, are they Brembos on the 9.5?

    Peak Panther - that's how my San An started out, when the mainframe failed it was replaced with the red front end, then the seat tower went after that and was replaced with the newer style. I'd love another old style "tubular" seat tower though. Touch wood the swingarm is going strong nearly 15 years down the line!
    I reckon BETD would make a mount up for you, maybe Twisted could find the CAD drawings for the original Pro-Stop - IS mount?

    Gus
  • 11-03-2007
    Ericmopar
    Well Gus...we now know what's under your kilt ! :lol:

    I still think Shawn and Peak Panther also, should post photos in the Vintage, Retro, Classic forum's photo gallery.
  • 11-03-2007
    Mountain Cycle Shawn
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Ericmopar
    Well Gus...we now know what's under your kilt ! :lol:

    I still think Shawn and Peak Panther also, should post photos in the Vintage, Retro, Classic forum's photo gallery.

    Ok!! And I'll post a pic of my new one here!
  • 11-04-2007
    Mountain Cycle Shawn
    3 Attachment(s)
    This is my newer...
    San Andreas! I am looking for an '06 Manitou Minute, 130mm, QR, with IT adjuster in order to make it perfect!
  • 11-04-2007
    thekiltedskier




    Thought I'd scan a couple in from back in the day - this would be 93/94.
    Original elastomer aftershock - 2.5" (?) of completley undamped goodness. Bought a Risse Genesis (which is still perfect now) pretty soon after I got Buckaroo'd over the bars! that took it to 3" travel. I now run a DT Swiss air shock, 152mm eye to eye which gives 3.75" travel. I tried it with a 165mm shock (giving 4.5" travel) and just didn't get on with it.

    Halson Inversion forks, XT/XTR (7 speed thumbies, still on the Cove now!) and Pace rings - 24, 38, 52. And of course a 2.2 Smoke/Dart. I really wish Panaracer would remake the 2.2 Dart. They were a true revelation in steering back then.

    Are there any of the original stickers still availabe anywhere?

    Gus
  • 11-04-2007
    Ericmopar
    Gus, thats another one that should get posted in the Vintage, Retro, Classic Forum's photo gallery. Which by the way, is a link in post one, not the actual thread. Although it would look nice next to Shawn's.
    As for the stickers, I'd post a thread and ask, some of the MC people are hording those things. You never know what might turn up.

    What's under Gus's kilt?


    Something big and red !


    Later, Eric.
  • 11-04-2007
    thekiltedskier
    Eric;



    St.Anton in Austria - not one for the powder days (result = small and blue!)
  • 11-04-2007
    Ericmopar
    Are the three big red Mountain Cycles, compensation for the side effects of the ski trips ? :D
  • 11-04-2007
    thekiltedskier
    I'd like to point out that the occasional effect of a crash is not long lasting, normally cured with Gluwein (mulled wine) and much Red Bull and red Vodka (Flugl's)!

    Just in case there's any laydee MC owners....
  • 11-06-2007
    matt45
    3 Attachment(s)
    My 9.5 and my Rumble!
  • 11-10-2007
    MountainCycle89
    Here's my old bike. Just started to ride again. Doing some simple fire roads first. Getting the mod bug again and just started buying a whole bunch of upgrades. :D

  • 11-19-2007
    SanAnMan
    1 Attachment(s)
    My 2000
    Here' my 1999 or 2000 San Andreas (not sure year - pre steer-stopper).

    Anyone know what year the San An got the Steer-stopper upgrade? Was it 2001?

    I went with pure function on the parts pick as every other dime I have goes into grad school. Soon I'll fit her up with discs and maybe an RP3.
  • 11-19-2007
    Ericmopar
    That's an interesting use of a brake noodle on the rear dérailleur.
    Does it help shifting?

    Later, Eric.