Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jmw
    mtbr member

Post your BLACK CAT

Been awhile since Todd has updated his blog....I've got Black-Cat-scratch-fever to see some more of his work!

here's mine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your BLACK CAT-dscn1219.jpg  

Post your BLACK CAT-dscn1109.jpg  

future nature

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Agreed....Todd is the wizard of Aptos. I will take any opportunity to share some Black Cat love!

Picture definately does not do the bike justice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your BLACK CAT-blackcat-v2.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Nice bikes. I'm trying to wait patiently for mine. I received a call and a few emails from Todd recently. It's built and on it's way to paint, which has me trying to find any Black Cat fix I can get. I can't wait for it to arrive now.

jmw
    mtbr member
    sold my squish fork to upgrade to a fatter front setup...P35 rim laced to a Hope Pro2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your BLACK CAT-blackcat_fhp.jpg  

future nature

mtbr member
    Nice Cats guys.

That green one looks quite familiar.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

i ride bikez!!11!
    Aug 2006
    I'm no photographer, but here's mine. Absolutely love it.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    My frame arrived yesterday. I haven't taken a decent picture of it, but you can see it on the Black Cat blog.

jmw
    mtbr member
    onlyontwo's Black Cat (sorry, had to steal it from another thread)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your BLACK CAT-dscf1017.jpg  

future nature

mtbr member
    May 2008

Edit:

Build list:

Black Cat Frame
    CK Hubs - geared rear hub with gobs of spacers, not SS hub :-/
    Stan's Arch rims
    DT Swiss Comp. Spokes
    WTB Prowler 2.1" tires
    Fox F29 100mm Fork
    Cane Creek 110 headset
    Thomson stem 90mm 0 degree
    Race Face Dues handle bars (not sure but I believe 600mm, 3 degree sweep)
    Ergon GC2 Grips
    Thomson Seatpost
    WTB Rocket V Saddle
    Cane Creek Direct Curve Brake levers
    Jagwire brake cables and housing
    Avid BB7 brake calipers with Avid Juicy rotors
    Last edited by julioardz; 07-25-2010 at 11:18 AM.

jmw
    mtbr member
    nice Julio!
    you should try a silver seatpost clamp to match all the other silver comps you have
    future nature

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks! Yeah, I just haven't gotten around to getting the silver seatpost clamp. I must say though, the bike looks better when it's dirty.

Not smart enough to shift
    Thanks JMW.

I will get some updated pictures of mine. Everyone's rigs look amazing.

One common theme I'm noticing with everyone that has some of Todd's great work is how clean they are. I thought I was one of the few anal people that took the time to peel stickers and such off. Here I look and almost every cat has been destickered.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by onlyontwo
    Thanks JMW.

I will get some updated pictures of mine. Everyone's rigs look amazing.

One common theme I'm noticing with everyone that has some of Todd's great work is how clean they are. I thought I was one of the few anal people that took the time to peel stickers and such off. Here I look and almost every cat has been destickered.

Cheers.
    I am one of the anal ones. I peel off all stickers I can. I stripped my other mountain bike frame down to the bare aluminum and peeled the stickers off the fork and wheels. That's part of why I wanted a watermark type logo on my Black Cat. I love a good paint job on other people's bikes, but I like mine simple looking.

jmw
    mtbr member
    ok, just one more...a more recent pic of mine:

build:
    frame, Black Cat by Todd I.
    Hope Pro2 SS rear laced to Salsa Delgado rim, Specialized 2.0
    Hope Pro2 front laced to P35 rim, Ardent 2.4
    White Industries cranks, Homebrew Ti ring, 32T
    Thomson post, WTB Devo saddle, Ti rails
    Jeff Jones H-bar, ESI grips
    Soul Cycles 485mm fork
    Avid BB7 discs, Shimano XT levers
    Crank Bros Candy single Ti pedals
    Shimano UN52 square taper BB
    CaneCreek Solos headset
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your BLACK CAT-041.jpg  

future nature

Julioardz - I am one of the anal ones. I peel off all stickers I can. I stripped my other mountain bike frame down to the bare aluminum and peeled the stickers off the fork and wheels. That's part of why I wanted a watermark type logo on my Black Cat. I love a good paint job on other people's bikes, but I like mine simple looking.

That is too funny...Looks like we have similar tastes. Here is my other ride. Not to hijack. Fork was destickered as well but it came back this way from Push. It is now cleaner looking.

As for the nice paint on other peoples bikes, I get my flashy side out with my wife's rigs.

JMR - How you liking that Ardent? I just put a set on and did my first ride today with them. Jury is still out..Nice rig by the way.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    onlyontwo,

This is very interesting. Here's a picture of my other mountain bike a few years ago. It's gone through some changes (2x9 drivetrain, black stem and bars, bashguard, 08 or 09 Crossmax SLR wheels with most of stickers peeled off. I only left the SLR part, and Maxxis Monorail tires, which I love, I wish they came in 29er size). That's also a Fox F100 fork, stickerless.

What I really find interesting is your wife's green hardtail. That looks very much like a Fisher Ziggurat. Is it? I just got one of those frames. I was selling an Atomlab Trailpimp and someone offered my a trade for the Ziggurat. I took it. It's a nice frame but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. The one I have has carbon seat and chain stays with removable cantilever bosses.

BTW, I really like the polished crank arms on the green bike.
    Last edited by julioardz; 08-18-2010 at 06:26 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    JMW,
    I like the blue strip on the non-drive chainstay. I had seen it in your pictures before and considered doing a one-sided logo. Now that I think of it, a logo on one of the chainstays alone would have looked really nice, for my bike, I think.

Time to revive this thread...

So here is an updated "crappy" picture of my cat.

julioardz - I did the one sided logo on my non-driveside chainstay. I will try to get some better updated pictures of the cat.

Cheers,
    Andy

mtbr member
    May 2008
    They are all very nice yet simple. I don't think of mine as very flashy, but I regularly get
    compliments when I'm riding and people often ask what kind of bike it is. I've only had it
    a little over a month and I've had more conversations with people about this bike than all
    my other bikes combined. I was looking for a rigid fork, just to swap out from time to
    time with my suspension fork, but I didn't want to spend a whole lot. I found a brand
    new, uncut Karate Monkey fork on Craigslist. The only problem was that it was bright
    red, but I figured for $50 I'd take it. I stripped the powder coat, hacked off the rim brake
    mounts, and filed down the welds. I sprayed a clear coat over it to keep the raw steel
    look. Since they charge a minimum for powder coat, it was too much to just get the fork
    done. If I ever have more things that need powder coating, I may get it done white like
    my frame. I'm just waiting on a new crown race so I can mount this rigid fork on my
    Black Cat. It handles great with the Fox F29 100mm fork I'm using now, so we'll
    see how it feels with this new KM fork.

jmw
    mtbr member
    I frickin love this bike.....
    so how'd the Monkey fork work out on yours Julio?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your BLACK CAT-blackcat_fall10.jpg  

future nature

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I've been riding the KM fork pretty regularly for about two months. It is STIFF. It fits the geometry well and I really like the control, but man,
    it beats me up on the rocky stuff. That's alright though, I'm getting use to it. I hadn't thought about putting my front shock back on until I recently
    started thinking about doing a 6 hour event. I'm still on the fence about putting the squishy fork back on for that. I gotta say it too... I love this bike.
    I have some creaking that comes and goes, that's my only gripe right now. I'm pretty sure it's coming from between the chain ring (Surly SS) and
    crank (Shimano XT). I just can't get the bolts tight enough. Someone told me that it could be because the chain ring is polished stainless, making
    it difficult for the bolts to fully tighten (??)

mtbr member

Even the early ones are special

What a mysterious creature emerging from the shadows...

Could be so mystical? So Hauntingly beautiful?

...That the ride could accurately described as "Heavenly"?

Such elegance in it's simplicity

How has natural beauty been acquired and what is its purpose? - Charles Darwin.

Ladies and Gentleman, I present for your consideration

I bought this 2007 Black Cat used. Rumor has it (actually, he admits it and is very supportive of 2nd & 3rd owners) that this was Todd's personal bike. It came out pretty sweet. Amazing what a $40 powdercoat job, and some leftover parts can do....

I must tell you, I had my reservations about the size and geometry. Even though it's an 18" It's definitely big enough. It feels more "open" than I expected. The top tube is actually 22.5". It feels more like a "play bike" than the XC weapon it looks like. Unbelievably stable and yet still very flickable.

I geared it pretty aggressively (38-19) and took a spin on the Fully loop today. On a the section of single-track through Hiltcher park to Euclid, I suddenly found myself going a lot faster than I was normally comfortable, on a fully ridged bike with front tire I've never ridden, and a rear I HATE. I've been here before. *slightly* out of control, questioning my own reasoning. Covering the brakes ever so slightly, knowing that by the time I actually get around to using them, they wont do me any good. It usually ends badly for me. Today however, the only thing that hurts more than the usual soreness from being off the bike for months, is MY FACE from grinning
    Giant Trance Advanced SL0
    Black Cat 26 " SS

on a routine expedition
    Couple more:

Way to revive the thread MW!

You and Carla's Cat's are looking great. How are you liking the 1x10 on yours?

Hope Oregon is treating you guys well.
    Cheers,
    Andy

mtbr member
    that 29er/bk/white graphic one is sweet as! more pics?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast