mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Polished Rear triangle=2008?Pike 454?

Hey there guys, Im in the market for a chumba xcl right now and found some local people that are selling. THe one ive got my eye on is anodized black along with an anodized black rear triangle. The owner insists its an 08. I thought 2008 XCL's had polished rear triangles?

I also wanted to find out how you guys like your xcl's with the pike 454 UTurn fork? Is it comparable to the Fox 32 Talas? The pike seems like its more up my alley since I dont think I could make use of all the adjustments on the Talas. Does the RP23 rear shock mate up well with the pike 454?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I think I've got an 08 and I don't have a polished triangle...I could be wrong about the year though? The Pike is great...I broke mine this summer and it took a long time to get it back, but that's because it went to Norco for repairs, not SRAM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon Blue
    Hey there guys, Im in the market for a chumba xcl right now and found some local people that are selling. THe one ive got my eye on is anodized black along with an anodized black rear triangle. The owner insists its an 08. I thought 2008 XCL's had polished rear triangles?

I also wanted to find out how you guys like your xcl's with the pike 454 UTurn fork? Is it comparable to the Fox 32 Talas? The pike seems like its more up my alley since I dont think I could make use of all the adjustments on the Talas. Does the RP23 rear shock mate up well with the pike 454?
    The PIKE is a better fork than the TALAS, IMO. Especially when it comes to rigidity - the 20mm TA makes all the difference.

I'm living the dream!
    The Pike is a great fork but I don't have experience with the Talas to compare it to.

I don't believe Chumba does the model year thing per say. They may make changes mid-year and continue pushing the older products until exhausted. If you're getting a good deal on the bike and the only hang up is the rear triangle, just call Chumba and buy a polished rear and keep the anodized as a backup.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    gotcha, thanks guys for your input

Flying Goat
    Pikes are awesome... The TA definitely makes a difference and it is much stiffer than the Talas. Sram also has their Moco down... One of the best feeling dampers up to date...

mtbr member
    The pike seems like its more up my alley since I dont think I could make use of all the adjustments on the Talas. ?
    The Pike has just as many adjustments as the TALAS. And it rocks!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The polished rear triangle frames were only available a month or two ago.
    All the polished ones i seen at a shop came with the newer Fox stickers on the rear shock.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlar
    The Pike has just as many adjustments as the TALAS. And it rocks!!
    hmm maybe I read the wrong review, but another plus side is that its cheaper!

mtbr member
    hmm maybe I read the wrong review, but another plus side is that its cheaper!
    In fact you could say the Pike has more adjustments. Both have Air Preload, Rebound, LSC, and a Platform (Floodgate vs. Lockout force adjust). However the Pike has 2 air chambers(positive & negative) to adjust preload and plushness to your preference..