Fat & Single

Painting Niner Carbon fork to match frame.

I am getting a steel frame and having it repainted, i also want to have a niner carbon fork done the same colour.

I have no dedicated bike painters near me but i have frame painting done in the past by a very good painter but he doesnt do any prepping, i take the frames to him stripped/beadblasted/polished ect and he just paints them.

So i need to prep the niner fork before taking it to him, how has anyone here done that ?

My fork is white/carbon, the white is sprayed over the carbon making a raised lettering, this will have to be sanded back ?

Do i sand back all of the clear coat and leave the fork with a matt nude finish ?

Thanks in advance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Painting Niner Carbon fork to match frame.-70223-niner-fourche-carbon-blanc-vana2.jpg  

Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    I know this is old but did you ever end up going through this? Looking at a similar situation myself.

Thanks,

Alex
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Wish I wouldve seen this sooner but if you knock off the clear and just have the matte finish with a good surface for the new paint to adhere to then you should be good to go.

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    I know this is old but did you ever end up going through this?
    Yo Alex, i got no responses here so it all got too hard. My Niner fork was in perfect condition and was being used on my SS so i used a PRO Components carbon fork i had in the garage, it was way easier to strip, paint, apply decal and clearcoat.

Untitled by b s on 500px.com

Untitled
    by
    b s
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Cool I will try a light sanding and a spray can if needed.

Sweet ride there Ozzy

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

Fat & Single
    Cheers Alex, the fork turned out very well considering it was done with 3 rattle cans. Primer, white and clear automotive spray cans.

You might as well have a go yourself, i just took my time, let it dry and rubbed it up with some 1000 grade paper. It took longer to mask the chrome crown and dropouts than do anything else.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX