mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Old Ti Seven Sola

I figured I'd post this for the guys who love to polish their ti frames I don't have the pics loaded yet, but I recently did an overhaul of my 10 year old Sola and thought some might be interested in some ancient history.

I ordered this frame after having both a Spooky Darkside and a Cannondale CAAD4 F3000. I wanted the East Coast nimbleness of the Spooky combined with the stability and comfort of the Cannondale. I think you'll get a kick out of the frame blueprint as this was about 4 years before Evil, Banshee, all that stuff.

Drivetrain rigidity: 10
    Vertical comp.: 7
    2" headtube
    24.5" top tube
    14" seat tube
    16.5" chainstays
    71/73 geometry (with orig. fork)

The frame weight 3.84lbs. Originally had a Headshok Fatty ultra 80mm, then a Ti Lefty 100mm, then Fox Air 100mm (with Chris King reduction cups), 2 different Marz. Air forks (can't remember, they both sucked), and mosy recently another Fox Air. Now it has a Black Ops Rigid Carbon 29" It also has one dent in the top tube and one dent in the down tube from crashes.

I rode this thing for 8 years, but the older I get the more the broken bones hurt, so I bought a used Asylum OCD 29". Loved it so much I bought a Pivot Mach 429. Much better (don't listen to any nonsense about the Pivots being heavier: mine is under 27lbs and was actually lighter than the Asylum!) Now the Sola is my first ever single speed and is under 23 lbs with studded tired. We'll see if the knee can push it.

Pics are coming, but this shows that paying up front is worth it if you buy what you know you want. I can't say I'd buy another Seven (IF is WAY easier to deal with) and I would caution anyone on the value of the whole custom fit treatment. Plus titanium is just rediculously priced. This bike is a beast and has never been polished, much less washed. I just could care less. I may clean it up now and hang it on the wall like my buddy did with his original Ti Fat Chance SS. Thats quite a beast......

sushi lover
    May 2006
    Looking forward to the pics!