mtbr member

nokon or ilink on an XCL?

Anyone running either or these systems? How has it worked out? Especially the housing section behind the pivots. Did you find it hard to get the right length of housing to work well? Are you finding that you have rubbing problems behind the swing arm?
    thanks.

Any other enclosed shifter systems to recommend?
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

Full housings

Quote Originally Posted by chumbacabra
    Anyone running either or these systems? How has it worked out? Especially the housing section behind the pivots. Did you find it hard to get the right length of housing to work well? Are you finding that you have rubbing problems behind the swing arm?
    thanks.

Any other enclosed shifter systems to recommend?

I am not running either of the mentioned systems but I do run full traditional housings to help counter the wet, long winters here in western Pa. I drilled out the cable stops and the whole thing works like a dream. No issues at all. I also run the Shimano XT Shadow and it really seems to help a lot with the shifting because of the stiffer spring used on that Der. I also have not sheared off a Der hanger since going to the Shadow.

mtbr member
    thanks.
    I am nervous to drill on my frame. But did you notice any increase in drag having the enclosed system?
    And, do feel like the opening at the derailleur end get gunked up? How would you clean it?
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

Ha ha! I know the feeling!

Quote Originally Posted by chumbacabra
    thanks.
    I am nervous to drill on my frame. But did you notice any increase in drag having the enclosed system?
    And, do feel like the opening at the derailleur end get gunked up? How would you clean it?
    I know the feeling, I drilled my brandy new frame before I did anything else to it (after asking Chumba if this was OK first of course. It is!) There may actually be less drag w/full housings since the ends of housings when cut, can sometimes be a bit crushed if cut w/cable cutters. Multiply that factor times the number of custs and potential for increased drag goes up, in my own opinion. Where is really pays off is over time. My cables stay nice and clean much longer than sectional ones and there is no real build up of gunk at the derailleur end. It makes changing cables real easy too because now I just buy a new cable, new housing, slide them in, tie off to the derailleur and go. I typcally change my cables 2x a year and it takes all of 5-10 minutes to do it. I would never go back to sections of housing again.

it's....
    I did the same thing when I got my XCL frame, but couldn't drill out the stops smooth enough.
    That caused rapid cable housing wear from suspension actions moving the cable housing at the drilled out stops.
    I ended up going 1x9 setup so switched the rear cable to undrilled cable stops that front cable ran on.

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

1x9 good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Strafer
    I did the same thing when I got my XCL frame, but couldn't drill out the stops smooth enough.
    That caused rapid cable housing wear from suspension actions moving the cable housing at the drilled out stops.
    I ended up going 1x9 setup so switched the rear cable to undrilled cable stops that front cable ran on.
    I used a small file to hand file the burrs down, time consuming but worthwhile. I like the idea of a 9 speed, especially since I found that Surly makes stainless steel chainrings down to 30 or 31 teeth. Here in this part of Pa. there is enough steep uphills to warrant a granny gear but I used to run a 30 tooth middle ring and almost never used the granny gear. I may switch to a 1 x 9 set up in the future and just drop down to a 31t ring to grunt up hills. Oh yeah, I'm 6'2" and weigh 225 Lbs so my granny gear does come in handy in providing enough torque to get my lard ace up the hills! I am also considering a Rohloff for X-mas this year to simplify even more!

wuss
    I used full housing, but did not drill anything. I just attached the cables to the frame and it's been ok (ugly though). I switched from a frame with full housing so this was less hassle...

Flaccid Member
    I immediately put Nokons ($175 worth of housing and cable) on my grip shift Rohoff disc brake equipped Bionicon... full length. Huge improvement over how crisp the Rohloff shifts compared to the stock cables, which just felt mushy and with a lot of resistance. Nokon's are pretty much a must with Rohloff hubs, they are slick shifting. Expensive, but they work like nothing else out there, just awesome.