mtbr member

Noble Bikes @ Seattle Bike Expo

Hi Guys,

My name is Mark Landsaat, I work as a design engineer for a small startup bike company called Noble Bikes. This weekend we will show our product to the public for the first time.

Over the last year I have been working closely with local racers on the development of our first frame offering, a 4" travel XC-Race platform. The F4 is utilizing a "single pivot 4 bar" suspension system that was optimized for pedaling performance.

The website www.noble-bikes.com has more information on the frame platform. If you like to know how things work I recommend you read the suspension documents in the tech section of the site.

If you plan on going to the Seattle Bike Expo this weekend, stop by our booth (#544), we will be displaying a totally tricked out F4 at our booth as well as a couple of frames.

Hope to see some of you this weekend
    Design Engineer for Noble Bikes

http://www.noble-bikes.com

mtbr member
    Last Saturday and Sunday we had Bike Expo in Seattle. It was the first time we showed our frames to the public. Included are some pictures of the show bike we built up for the Bike Expo. All in all, the complete bike came in just over 23 lbs.

We had a lot of fun at the Seattle Bike Expo, next on the list is visiting local races and other events.

Thank you MTBR members that stopped by our booth this weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Noble Bikes @ Seattle Bike Expo-expo-booth1.jpg  

Noble Bikes @ Seattle Bike Expo-expo-booth2.jpg  

Noble Bikes @ Seattle Bike Expo-expo-booth3.jpg  

Noble Bikes @ Seattle Bike Expo-expo-booth4.jpg  

Noble Bikes @ Seattle Bike Expo-expo-booth5.jpg  

Bikes!
    Your bike looks great!

What's the idea behind the suspension setup, it looks interesting and unique, how would it fair in wet muddy conditions over time?

mtbr member
    Hi there,

Thanks for the comment.

The suspension setup is not all that unique. The main idea behind it is to have a light-weight, stiff, pedal efficient suspension system. We are using what we consider a single pivot four bar construction. There are several pdf files in the tech section of the Noble site that explain the suspension system in great detail and I recommend that you read those if you are interested in the technical details.

To answer your question regarding wet muddy conditions, we put pretty serious effort into making the design durable. We are using ABI Enduro Max bearings with the new Black Oxide coating. The Black Oxide coating is a protective coating that prevents rust. It is the same coating that is used on black spokes. All the bearings are sealed individually and from the close-up pictures in the thread you can see that the hardware covers the bearings as much as possible.

Last year we raced on prototype frames the entire season without replacing the bearings. The main reason was to find out what a season of abuse would do to the system. I'm happy to say that after a full season of riding the bearings still ran smooth and we didn't modify the bearing construction when we went to production.

Hope that answers your questions.

Mark

Bikes!
    Thanks Mark, I really like the sound of your frame, how much are these bad boys going to cost?

I'm in the UK by the way...

mtbr member
    Hi,

The same question was just asked by someone else. We are a tiny brand new start up company and are still working on finalizing things. The web site will be updated hopefully today to show pricing. Frames including shock will retail for $1495.- This does not include shipping costs to the UK. We would have to figure out what the shipping cost to the UK would be in case you are interested.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'll take one! Oh yeah, i already got one.

DP

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Landsaat
    Hi there,

Last year we raced on prototype frames the entire season without replacing the bearings.

Mark
    Hmm, really?...

Glad to see you are to Market. That bike seems to fly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Noble Bikes @ Seattle Bike Expo-russ.jpg  

mtbr member
    Hey,

I haven't seen that picture before, but that was Russel racing one of the prototypes at the Padden Mountain Pedal last year. He won that race, but in all honesty, if you put Russel on a trike he will still go fast.

mtbr member
    Yeah, he is a fast one. But he did really like that frame, so give yourself more credit.

I was in the beginner race that day (Podium!), and had a new camera, so was working on my action shots for the later races. Fun.

Here is another of Russel and your bike. It is either artsy, or lousy, depending on your point of view.

I'm a friend of Bruce R., btw. I met you a couple years ago at Padden.

If you want these pics hi-res, just ask.

James
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Noble Bikes @ Seattle Bike Expo-nobleblur.jpg  

mtbr member
    Hi James,

I think I remember you. Was that the year when you and Bruce went out on the Fuel EX?

At any rate, Bruce raced on one of the prototypes as well last year. And yes, he also fell in love with the frame. He's picking up his frame this weekend.

I won't go on the record claiming my frame is better than other bikes, but I will go on the record saying that everybody that had a chance to try the prototype last year has bought one. I must have done something right.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I just got my Noble built up yesterday. A short ride today to dial it in & I'm one happy customer. I cant wait to race this thing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Noble Bikes @ Seattle Bike Expo-dsc00052.jpg  

mtbr member
    Looks nice

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks!!

It rides even better than it looks. I put in two hours of fun twisty single track on Sunday & was VERY happy with it. What caught my attention first was how well it holds a line in a fast corner. Its very stable & accelerates like (or better than) my old 23 lb Ti hard tail. Cant wait to get out on it again.

mtbr member
    Guys,

If you are into product development you owe it to yourself to check out this short video at the link below. It shows how we used 3D modeling tools during the development of the Noble F4 frame. Any feedback always appreciated.

http://www.noble-bikes.com/F4_proto_video.php