mtbr member

Newest pics of my EVO

Got the bike in one piece again after returning from overseas. Upgraded forks to Fox Talas 36 RC2, from a Marz All mountain 2.

Installed some Transition Revolution 32mm wheels. Not the lightest in the world, but perfect for what my application is. 20mm thru up front and 11mm in back.

I also swapped from a 2.35 Nevegal up front and specialized 2.2 rear. To the new combo of a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 and a WTB Prowler XT 2.3 out back. Pedaling isnt as bad as suspected, but I have yet to put it test on a longer ride.

The difference between the smaller axles and fork vs the new Talas 36 , 20mm thru axle and 11mm on the rear with the new wheels is outright crazy, should have made the swap along time ago. The bike is even more rigid, feels insane, its almost like a whole new bike.

Here are some pics.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...x/DSC04182.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...x/DSC04181.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...x/DSC04180.jpg

Flying Goat
    sweet bike dude... me likey... XD

mtbr member
    May 2008
    nice build.. nice bike!!!

yarrrp
    May 2007
    ..........11mm rear axel huh. Interesting. You need to shorten your chain and ditch the long cage derail before you spend another dime on anything else.

mtbr member
    Beautiful bike! Just rode an EVO today - very nice ride.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Nice ride, sweet setup!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hairygut
    ..........11mm rear axel huh. Interesting. You need to shorten your chain and ditch the long cage derail before you spend another dime on anything else.

I originally had a 3 ring setup on my old giant it when I bought the derailer, never made it onto the chumba hince the 2 ring, so that is why I have a long not a mid. I dont have any issues with skip or the chain flying off, or havent yet at least. Thanks for the headsup though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nojoke
    11mm in back...... 11mm on the rear with the new wheels
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the evo has a 10mm rear end. Also, the Revolutions, don't come in an 11mm, nor do any wheelset I know of off the top of my head.

mtbr member
    Evo does have 10mm dropouts. I had to get problem solvers 12mm/10mm conversion axle to make it work with my 12mm rear hub.
    Nice bike btw, she's a beaut!

Flying Goat
    10mm dropouts are the same as QR dropouts... If you wanna run a 12mm Axle, then Azonic makes one. The Momentum Axle... I've ran one for some time on my other bikes... No problems there...

http://www.azonicusa.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=116

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Bike looks awsome. Im in the market for one but never knew it comes in flat black as well. I've only seen the glossy White and black ones.

Can the EVO frame be set up to climb? Im trying to replace my old Ellsworth joker with a new beefy climber.

Flying Goat
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob O
    Bike looks awsome. Im in the market for one but never knew it comes in flat black as well. I've only seen the glossy White and black ones.

Can the EVO frame be set up to climb? Im trying to replace my old Ellsworth joker with a new beefy climber.
    Hardway on the forums often rides a lot of XC rides with his Evo. It can definitely climb... Lately though, he's found what the Evo is really capable of at Northstar and Pacifica though... He'll tell you all about it...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    Hardway on the forums often rides a lot of XC rides with his Evo. It can definitely climb... Lately though, he's found what the Evo is really capable of at Northstar and Pacifica though... He'll tell you all about it...
    I put a 115mm stem on my evo to get me more over the front tire on long climbs, and maintain the same seat-to-handle bars length (not sure of the technical name for this) of my xc bike.
    It made a huge difference. Thing climbed like a billy goat, especially when I had my light wheels on (mavic crossmax tubless). I've been all over tahoe and downieville, as well as lots of long bay area xc rides with this configuration and loved it.
    As I've continued to ride more aggressively, I've gone to wider, heavier rims and since riding w/ mr. p and his crew at pacifica, I've thrown a diety short freeride stem and riser bars on her to see how that would feel.
    Awesome on the downhills, wanders like a drunken peg leg pirate on real steep climbs. It still steers pretty good on normal slopes. I wouldn't hesitate to take her on most of my rides in this configuration. Very steep, technical single track climbs would suck though, I'd have to go back to my long stem if I was doing a bunch of that.

Spin-stabilized
    Quote Originally Posted by hardway
    I put a 115mm stem on my evo to get me more over the front tire on long climbs, and maintain the same seat-to-handle bars length (not sure of the technical name for this) of my xc bike.
    It made a huge difference. Thing climbed like a billy goat, especially when I had my light wheels on (mavic crossmax tubless). I've been all over tahoe and downieville, as well as lots of long bay area xc rides with this configuration and loved it.
    As I've continued to ride more aggressively, I've gone to wider, heavier rims and since riding w/ mr. p and his crew at pacifica, I've thrown a diety short freeride stem and riser bars on her to see how that would feel.
    Awesome on the downhills, wanders like a drunken peg leg pirate on real steep climbs. It still steers pretty good on normal slopes. I wouldn't hesitate to take her on most of my rides in this configuration. Very steep, technical single track climbs would suck though, I'd have to go back to my long stem if I was doing a bunch of that.
    Any problems with the high standover? I ditched my old Kona Stinky because it felt too tall and never got comfortable riding it down really steep stuff as it stink-bugged. It was the right size for climbing but not descending.
    Hey man, wanna go for a klunk?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bailout
    Any problems with the high standover? I ditched my old Kona Stinky because it felt too tall and never got comfortable riding it down really steep stuff as it stink-bugged. It was the right size for climbing but not descending.
    Doesn't feel that tall to me when i ride it, even though my nuts are brushing the top tube when i stand over it. This bike excels going down really steep stuff, it's one of it's best characteristics, so I don't think you'll have any problems there. Not sure what stink-bugging is, but if it's negative, the evo's not going to do it while going downhill.