Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

New Strong Frames - quick picts (merged thread)

mtbr member
    Beautiful.... How does she ride?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Only been out twice so far... the chain was too slack so I had to give up on the real trail but rode great when I was on it... tracking is amazing, the geos are right on, the tubless rocks, the discs, well, they need worked in a little more and need to get used to them (went from rims to), and I also have to get used to the larger and more plush fork (from air only 80mm). The xtr levers are ok (went from SRAM twists), I'm not so sure about the way it shifts yet, basically there is a lot I need to get updated on since my previous bike was 6+ years old (also a Strong FS)... When I asked Carl to build a hardtail w/ disc at first I a bit concerned that the thing would weigh a ton, but he assured me that it would be fine and close to 24lbs... I haven't put it on the LBS scale or will but i is a little heavier than my steel SS, which was very suprising since there is a ton more on the this one, disc, geared drive, etc. Overall I am extremely pleased!

mtbr member

Nice!

Thanks for the pics, it looks like a nice bike hope you enjoy it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Good job! CARL STRONG frames - show yours here

As a soon to be member of this group and VERY eger to see every photo of Carl's works of art - PLEASE share your photos here.

HELP OTHERS SEE WHY CARL STRONG IS KNOW FOR MAKING A BEAUTIFUL FRAME.

No I do not work for Carl. I don't even live in the same country.
    Grand claims demand grand proof.

bike weenie

posted elswhere also... but here's mine.

3 weeks old now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Just checked his website, very cool looking bikes! I'd love a 6/4 ti bike. very nice build RWGreen

mtbr member
    Woohoo, just got a call from Carl, he's finishing up my frame right now! It will be going to Spectrum soon !!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    RWGreen - yes I've seen yours in the 29er forum but is well worth seeing again!

xdefx - Please post pictures here when you have them - must be a fine steel rig you've had made?

My frame is on hold [MY ISSUE] as I wont be in the States until December! :>((

Any thoughts on seat stay design? To S-bend OR not to S-bend.....hmmmmm....I am considering having the disc break "brace" put on my Ti frame - just for that added stiffness.

ogarajef@luther.edu
    Here are some of my old Strong.
    "RIDE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT"

bike weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by xdefx
    Woohoo, just got a call from Carl, he's finishing up my frame right now! It will be going to Spectrum soon !!!
    So - where is it man?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

My New Strong 29er

I was looking for a way to try the whole 29er thing and swapped a Rick Hunter cross rig for the Strong frame, fork and wheelset. Frame is too big for me, but I am going to likely have something built for me in the spring and Carl is on the short list of potential builders.
    MTBDad
    MCM #47.867

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head" - Bono

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RWGreen
    So - where is it man?
    *sigh*......still waiting, it's at Spectrum. I was hoping that Carl would get it back this week, and then get it shipped out to me, not looking good. There doesn't seem to be much communication from Spectrum, that's a little frustrating.....considering Carl is very responsive. It goes into a black hole, then comes out painted, maybe 2-3 weeks. I am a real stickler about communcation, so this is bugging the heck out of me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    ha. 20_bandh and i were recently in the same position. our thylacine's went into the black hole at spectrum and warwick seemed to be given the run around from them as to when our frames would be finished. we've been told they were shipped out on tuesday but until either the box arrives or a tracking number is presented there remains a hint of doubt.

fortunately our's were there just for finishing rather than paint.

when your work is a sought after as spectrum's seems to be you can typically get away with situations like this. not saying it's right. just saying it is more likely to happen.

bike weenie
    *sigh*......still waiting, it's at Spectrum. I was hoping that Carl would get it back this week, and then get it shipped out to me, not looking good. There doesn't seem to be much communication from Spectrum, that's a little frustrating.....considering Carl is very responsive. It goes into a black hole, then comes out painted, maybe 2-3 weeks. I am a real stickler about communcation, so this is bugging the heck out of me.
    Well - their work is worth it, and hopefully it won't be much longer. Mine was only there a little over a week, so I must have gottne lucky and caught a gap in their schedule. It is tough to be patient. Carl was very patient with me calling and bugging him once a week.

mtbr member
    Carl's workmanship is among the best I've ever seen. He gets my vote.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AteMrYeats
    Carl's workmanship is among the best I've ever seen. He gets my vote.
    Mr Yeats, that looks mighty fine. Would you care to share the relevant details, intended build? Also, what colour did you use - is that one of Carl's stock colours or a custom?

I'm in the Strong Queue, paid my deposit. Just patiently waiting for the good man to get back to me so we can begin the tube spec and design process. Can't wait

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stymie
    Mr Yeats, that looks mighty fine. Would you care to share the relevant details, intended build? Also, what colour did you use - is that one of Carl's stock colours or a custom?

I'm in the Strong Queue, paid my deposit. Just patiently waiting for the good man to get back to me so we can begin the tube spec and design process. Can't wait
    I've been riding the frameówith a custom Strong forkófor over a year now, and it has been reliable and versatile. It was built around the rather tall Marzocchi MX 29er fork, and while I havenít yet put a suspension fork on it, I have the option.
    The color is custom: itís very dark brown in the shade, but the topcoat appears in the sunlight. The picture, as usual, does not give an accurate depiction.
    I included a shot from this spring; the spec hasnít changed much.
    Are you ordering a 29er? Single or geared? Any way you like it, itíll be nice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AteMrYeats
    I've been riding the frameówith a custom Strong forkófor over a year now, and it has been reliable and versatile. It was built around the rather tall Marzocchi MX 29er fork, and while I havenít yet put a suspension fork on it, I have the option.
    The color is custom: itís very dark brown in the shade, but the topcoat appears in the sunlight. The picture, as usual, does not give an accurate depiction.
    I included a shot from this spring; the spec hasnít changed much.
    Are you ordering a 29er? Single or geared? Any way you like it, itíll be nice.
    Nice build there, elegant and understated. I'm going for a similar aesthetic, although mine will be a 26er with a Rohloff designed around a 120mm fork (most likely the RS Pike). The idea is for a neutral to slightly laid back geometry for all-round trail riding. I can adjust the fork to 140mm to slacken things out, or drop to 100mm if I wish to get more racey. Well, that is the goal anyway - I need to confirm all this with Carl!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Strong-ing it Too!

After riding, a LONG time ago racing and loving Yetis I am now a Strong customer.

I've decided that for my size and how I ride, I'm going back to a hardtail from my current AS-R. Carl has been a pleasure to work with so far; (initial design) it reminds me of the guy who makes my goaltending equipment. You are an integral part of every aspect of the bike...

My question is about what I've had vs. something new. Should I go with the the specs I had the same geometry essentially since '89. The 73/71, long top tube, quick handling of my current bikes or just let Carl figure it out?

Given the great level of service and professionalism so far, I think either way is a winner!
    Any thoughts?

mtbr member

Friday !!!

According to FEDEX, my frame will be here Friday !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    hey stymie, glad to see you're taking the plung. i remember you mentioned a while about about going for a rohloff design. let me know when she arrives. would love to see one in person.

mtbr member
    According to FEDEX, my frame will be here Friday !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Only 3 more sleeps!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lanceh
    hey stymie, glad to see you're taking the plung. i remember you mentioned a while about about going for a rohloff design. let me know when she arrives. would love to see one in person.
    Yep, the ball is officially rolling. It will still be a while off yet. Carl hopes to have a first draft for this Friday. It's a fairly straight forward build, so I'm not sure how many iterations we will go through. In any case, it sounds like the real wait is going to be the powdercoating thru Spectrum. Perhaps if I go Titanium it will speed things up a little?!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Ryano42:

I used to dream of a Yeti ARC in the mid-90s. My 0.02$ is that if you like your geometry [you should know by now after so many miles] - stick with it. Maybe consider another material - your Yeti is Alu - right? - how 'bout some new age steel [Reynolds 853 or better]?...or how 'bout Titanium?...Carl is very keen to material performance properties and his web site has a wealth of knowledge in this regard.

IF/SHOULD you are considering a 29er you may want to steepen the HT to 72...as a start.

FYI - I'm having my Strong built longer, taller and steeper than my current Gary Fisher Paragon [74SA(Fisher is 73), 72HA (Fisher is 71.5), 66cm eff TT(Fisher is 64.7cm), 15cm HT (Fisher is 10.5cm)].....This is all per my own measuring/pondering/15 years of XC.....I hope I get it right! - measure twice - cut once!!!.....I measured 100 times! I can't wait.....NOW IS THE FUN TIME - choosing the build parts!

C

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast