Thread: New Chumbowner

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

New Chumbowner

Alright guys, I guess it's time I outed myself. I'm a (sort of) new chumba owner. I got this thing together the night of May 10th, the night before my wife and I set out on a week-long trip to Moab, the Grand Canyon, and St. George. I've just been too busy riding it to post up here.

I was coming from an '07 GT I-Drive 4 2.0, which I really quite liked; however there were a couple of things that were minor annoyances with it. The bike was tall, and it had a high BB. The XCL feels just like I hoped it would. The BB height feels normal, as does the standover which I think both contribute to a more stable feel.

Here's the spec:
    '08 Meduim XCL Orange w/ RP23 The orange is simply gorgeous!!
    Fork:'09 Fox TALAS 32 QR
    Cranks/BB: Shimano XT (FC-M770)
    Front Der.: Shimano XT (FD-M770-E)
    Rear Der.: Shimano XTR (RD-M970)
    Cassette: Shimano XT (SC-M770) 11-34
    Shifters: Shimano XTR (SL-M970)
    Chain: SRAM PC991 Holow Pin
    Brakes: Shimano XT (BR-M775/BL-M775) 160mm rotors-I'd like to get a 180 up front
    Hubs: DT Swiss OEM centerlock
    Rims: Mavic XM 819 (UST)
    Tires: Maxxis Ignitor 2.1 UST/Michelin XCR Dry2 UST (Today I should be getting my Ignitor 2.3 UST which will go on the front, and I'll move the 2.1 Ignitor to the rear)
    Headset: Cane Creek S8
    Stem: Truvativ Team 90mm x 5*
    Bar: truvativ Team Riserbar 25mm rise x 640mm width
    Seatpost: Easton EA30
    Saddle: WTB Eldorado
    Pedals: Shimano M540
    Grips: ODI Ruffian clamp-on

Weight: 29.5 lbs
    My weight: 150 lbs

I'm loving this thing. I was a little un-excited about having to run an E-Type front der., but it has been awesome! It was a no-brainer to set up, and it shifts perfectly. The '08 XT stuff works great.
    The rear end really soaks it up, and sticks to the ground while climbing. The shorter chainstays (compared to my GT) really make this thing climb and tighten up the handling. They also make it easy to get the front end up to climb over obstacles and wheelie-drop. It feels really stable in the air, and inspires lots of confidence. I am definitely riding bigger and bigger stuff (more air, higher drops). For me, the handling feels spot-on for a trail bike. The steering isn't super-twitchy like a XC race bike, but not slow like a FR/DH. It just feels natural.
    The TALAS has been great so far. With it out at 140mm I can feel it flexing a bit. If I hadn't already had my wheels before I built this up I think I would have bought a thru axle fork of some sort. The effect isn't terrible, but it is noticible (and I'm not a heavy guy). Still, I am happy with the fork. It is so smooth, and I love having the travel adjust. It spends most of its time at 120mm, but I usually open it up to 140 when I point the bike downhill.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Flying Goat
    oooooooooooooo... that is pretty... thanx for sharing dude... now can we get some action shots too??? XD

WWJR
    didnt Fox come out with a choice between15QR or 9mm in '09? BTW, nice rig!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yeah, I know-action shots. Problem is I am always the one carrying the camera, so there are pictures of everyone BUT me.

For '09 Fox gives you the choice of QR or the new15mm TA. I already had my wheels before I ordered the fork, otherwise I would have liked to give a TA a shot. I got one of the first '09s built up.
    The new Magura Thor sounds really sweet. 140/100 mm travel adjust (via remote), dual arch, RockShox Maxle. The Durin and Laurin feel really nice...

WWJR
    Quote Originally Posted by Perpetrator
    Yeah, I know-action shots. Problem is I am always the one carrying the camera, so there are pictures of everyone BUT me.

For '09 Fox gives you the choice of QR or the new15mm TA. I already had my wheels before I ordered the fork, otherwise I would have liked to give a TA a shot. I got one of the first '09s built up.
    The new Magura Thor sounds really sweet. 140/100 mm travel adjust (via remote), dual arch, RockShox Maxle. The Durin and Laurin feel really nice...
    Word! I just bought an '09 RS Revelation! I cant wait for that m'fer. I DEF agree that the XCL should have a TA ONLY!!! Im not sure where the standard QR fits in.?.?.?