Thread: New Blue XCL

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

New Blue XCL

Been real busy but have been meaning to get pics of the bike up. I must say I love this bike and have about 60 miles on it. Alan was great to work with and awesome customer service.

Only one small issue so far is that I blew up the new Chumba M5X hub climbing a hill today. Time for a new one or maybe stronger one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Nice blue color. It's almost electric!

Did you check those frame bolts?

Seriously. Nice ride.

What happened to the hub? Pawls? bearing? pics?
    Frankenstein doesn't scare me ...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    yeah so far all bolts are still tight. Not sure on the hub but I think it was to much torque to the pedals that did it in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    That's cool. I kid - it's a rather hot topic and I'm evidently the only goof that dares ask about it lately. ( I have the older designed frame though - loctite and I'm sure to be good to go).
    I don't have much elevation around my neck of the woods and my seatpost sits way high so I may not generate the pressures you guys do where you have actual elevation . If you get a chance snap a few pics of the internals and post em up - I'm just curious to see what it looks like it there. I haven't done maintenance on anything other than CK's and that was years ago so I need all the help I can get.
    Nice build too. If I had more $$ I would have done something nicer like that. Still, gotta love that bright shiny blue. Any thought on what hubs/wheelset you'll do next?
    Ride on man.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I plan to talk to Alan about the hub. Not sure if it was a bad hub or that they are just not strong enough. I am sure he will have an idea of what hub to go to.

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008

Hubs

I've got a few hundred miles on my Chumba hubs with no issues at all. Most of my riding is rocky desert and the hubs have survived my terrible form and bad timing. But maybe I'm just a sissy...
    I had them apart once, just to see what they were like. 6 prawls arranged in pairs - should be pretty solid unless the teeth break or there is some contamination. Let us know what broke if you can.

mtbr member
    What's with the color of the rear triangle??? I thought the new ones were polished. Is that custom? Looks like they came off an anodized gray frame. I like it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    It is custom. I think both mine and Alans XCL's are the only ones with the gray rear triangle. Just something different.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Well I have Chumba setting up the wheels with some CK hubs that will match the head set. I took the hub apart somewhat and the pawls are good and it is something in the freehub that let go. I will have to ask Chumba if they know what broke on it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Dude can I get a copy of your hub maintenance guidelines ? Mine didn't come with anything on how to maintain these wheels. Yes I have asked Chumba repeatedly for it. Still like that blue frame man.
    Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    If I had a maintenance guide I would give it to you. I just kinda went about taking it apart. Not sure if I did it the right way but since it was broke I figured it did not matter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Right on.
    I want to make sure I'm keeping the hubs maintained but without some specific, OEM approved guidelines I'm less likely to monkey too much with them. The couple of rides I had on mine , they sounded pretty nice. After riding Kings for so many years I still dig that click/buzz from hubs. Guess I'll just have to dig into them when they develop play or looseness and hope for the best.
    Hope your sitch turns out okay. Keep us posted.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    asked the same question in a different forum but i'll try it in here too

Looking at an XCL but can't get past the polished aluminum swingarm. You say yours has a custom powder coated rear triangle. did you get chumba to do that? how much did it cost? thanks a bunch.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by skithebert
    asked the same question in a different forum but i'll try it in here too

Looking at an XCL but can't get past the polished aluminum swingarm. You say yours has a custom powder coated rear triangle. did you get chumba to do that? how much did it cost? thanks a bunch.
    I had Chumba powder coat the rear triangle. As far as cost they had a special going and it did not cost extra at the time. As far as right now I am not sure what it would cost. I would give Alan at Chumba a call and discuss it with him on what colors they have and what he can do for you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hey NCETRY,

Yours is pretty similar to mine and I have a couple questions on set up.

What size frame? What size stem you running? Hows the 15mm QR treating ya?

I just switched from a 100mm to a 70mm. Ended up putting the 100 on my Niner. Just wondering if it would make a big difference in steering. Not tested yet.

I got the FLoat RLC standard QR with mine and was contemplating getting the 15mm QR lowers. Around 200 plus labor for the swap plus 20 for 15mm end caps for my hubs. Worth it in your opinion?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 02Bullit
    Hey NCETRY,

Yours is pretty similar to mine and I have a couple questions on set up.

What size frame? What size stem you running? Hows the 15mm QR treating ya?

I just switched from a 100mm to a 70mm. Ended up putting the 100 on my Niner. Just wondering if it would make a big difference in steering. Not tested yet.

I got the FLoat RLC standard QR with mine and was contemplating getting the 15mm QR lowers. Around 200 plus labor for the swap plus 20 for 15mm end caps for my hubs. Worth it in your opinion?
    I will have to measure my stem to be sure on the size.

I have a large frame XCL.

I like the 15QR especially with the new Chris King ISO hub. For my size it has held up well. I am gonna put it to the test in Oregon this weekend. Is it worth it? For me yes I think it is but I put parts to the test being I am 270 geared up.

The build for me has been rock solid and very nimble. It will take whatever line I want in loose gravel or through the rocks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm liking it better with the shorter stem. Not so squirrely when climbing.

You get your hub issue fixed? I'm gonna keep the Hopes on mine. Have some Kings laced to 819's but like the wider EN321's for the XCL. Probably gonna run the Kings on my Niner.

Got some new brakes on the XCL too. Running some Formula Megas with a 200mm up front and 180mm out back. Wow, what a difference from the Juicy 5's. Probably gonna hit up Fox here soon and pick up the QR15 lowers. How did yours hold up in Oregon?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 02Bullit
    I'm liking it better with the shorter stem. Not so squirrely when climbing.

You get your hub issue fixed? I'm gonna keep the Hopes on mine. Have some Kings laced to 819's but like the wider EN321's for the XCL. Probably gonna run the Kings on my Niner.

Got some new brakes on the XCL too. Running some Formula Megas with a 200mm up front and 180mm out back. Wow, what a difference from the Juicy 5's. Probably gonna hit up Fox here soon and pick up the QR15 lowers. How did yours hold up in Oregon?

Bike was excellent in Oregon. New hubs made a world of difference.

Members who have read this thread: 1