mtbr member
    Mar 2004

New 2009 Chumba XCL

I have been wanting to try the Chumba XCL so I finally bought one last week and I built it up over the weekend. It is a mix of Race Face, Sram and Shimano components. I have the TALAS 36 RC2 up front. I am 6' tall and the bike fits real nice - I do not feel cramped. The intended use is all mountain riding.

The construction of the frame is impressive. The welds are clean. The annodization is amazing. The "Chumba" lettering I believe is laser etched or it is a really good decal. I also like the polished rear triangle. The construction is top notch. The frame is a medium and weighed in at 7.1 lbs. The complete build is 29.1 lbs.

Initial ride impression - this bike is really fun. I was running the T36 at 130 mm and it matched up real nice with the frame. This bike is incredibly stiff. It has a very solid feel. I was really impressed with how well this bike corners in tight curves. I never worried about the tires sliding out. The bike pedals really nice. I did notice It pedals a little more efficient with the propedal than with out the propedal. I need to spend some more time dialing in the suspension. At 29 lbs the bike is very flickable but it is very stable. Given its 43" wheel base and bottom bracket height. I was not expecting the bike to be as stable but I was pleasantly surprised.

This is a great bike at a great price - alot of "bang for the buck". The ability to effectively use a 36 and 32 on this bike makes it incredibly versatile.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Flying Goat
    sick build dude... i really like the idea of the 36 up in the front... would make it nice for the rough stuff... btw, ever thought of a shorter stem??? XD

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    sick build dude... i really like the idea of the 36 up in the front... would make it nice for the rough stuff... btw, ever thought of a shorter stem??? XD

Thanks - The 36 up front is real nice. It meshes nicely with the burly XCL frame. I am running a 100 mm stem. I may try a 90mm and see how that feels.

Flying Goat
    Quote Originally Posted by JTBAZ
    Thanks - The 36 up front is real nice. It meshes nicely with the burly XCL frame. I am running a 100 mm stem. I may try a 90mm and see how that feels.
    try a 65mm stem or shorter...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    try a 65mm stem or shorter...
    I will take your recommendation and give a 65 a try.

Flying Goat
    I will take your recommendation and give a 65 a try.
    yea dude... definitely give it a try... long stems have a tendency of making bikes feel like poo sometimes...

I love bike!
    Sweet ride Check your PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    A couple pics from today's ride. I am more impressed with the cornering ability of the XCL.

I love bike!
    Looks like those pics were taken in the San Tans?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dsittman
    Looks like those pics were taken in the San Tans?
    I actually took those at South Mountain on Desert Classic. Those pics are actually the on the Secret Trail which is part of Desert Classic. I have actually never been to the San Tans but would like to get out there and ride the trails.

I love bike!
    Oh yeah. I actually just rode desert classic coast to coast and mixed in some secret and helipad/goat trail last weekend with some other AZ MTBRers. Nothing very tech but distance kicked my arse.

Agree with DHF about San Tans. I live really close to the trails and don't even bother as it seems that they were geared toward the horse folks interests. Sucks cause me and others thought it had a lot of potential for good single track and meant for everyone, not just the ponies

I love bike!
    Quote Originally Posted by .downhillfaster.
    Hey, where in the area are you?
    Ellsworth & Ocotillo in the Villages. I do most of my riding out at Hawes. You?

mtbr member
    sweet ride..the bead-blasted ano will hold up well in weather conditions and crashes..
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

spr
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have been wanting to try the Chumba XCL so I finally bought one last week and I built it up over the weekend. It is a mix of Race Face, Sram and Shimano components. I have the TALAS 36 RC2 up front. I am 6' tall and the bike fits real nice - I do not feel cramped. The intended use is all mountain riding.

The construction of the frame is impressive. The welds are clean. The annodization is amazing. The "Chumba" lettering I believe is laser etched or it is a really good decal. I also like the polished rear triangle. The construction is top notch. The frame is a medium and weighed in at 7.1 lbs. The complete build is 29.1 lbs.

Initial ride impression - this bike is really fun. I was running the T36 at 130 mm and it matched up real nice with the frame. This bike is incredibly stiff. It has a very solid feel. I was really impressed with how well this bike corners in tight curves. I never worried about the tires sliding out. The bike pedals really nice. I did notice It pedals a little more efficient with the propedal than with out the propedal. I need to spend some more time dialing in the suspension. At 29 lbs the bike is very flickable but it is very stable. Given its 43" wheel base and bottom bracket height. I was not expecting the bike to be as stable but I was pleasantly surprised.

This is a great bike at a great price - alot of "bang for the buck". The ability to effectively use a 36 and 32 on this bike makes it incredibly versatile.

JTBAZ,

What was your previous bike?which bike do you compare to the XCL?how the XCL handle the technical descents/climbing?
    thx

shred my gnar
    nice to see another az xcl out there...

are you wanting to change the stem because of handling issues or discomfort in the cockpit or simply b/c someone mentioned you should try a shorter one? just curious... if you are comfy in the cockpit and the bike is handling like you want then why bother?

also, have you ridden the 36 all the way out much? ive got a 32 talas rlc on my large xcl and have been thinking lately id like a little more beef up front. just not sure how a 160 would affect the ride (specifically the handling) of an xcl.

post when you do if you havent yet!!! thanks

it's....
    I run 90mm stem and Pike 140mm front, and front end wanders on steep climbing.
    You have to take MrPerc's advice on short stem with a grain of salt since he rides DH and doesn't climb.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Strafer
    You have to take MrPerc's advice on short stem with a grain of salt since he rides DH and doesn't climb.
    Same here. 90mm stem, 140mm Pike.

mtbr member
    whats the BB height on the bike with the 36? looks around 14"?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Strafer
    Ok - maybe I will stick with the 100 mm stem. So far with the 100 mm stem I have not had any issues with it wandering on steep climbs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

09 Chumba XCL BRAND NEW! For Sale Cheap!!

I am selling a 2009 Chumba XCL size small anodized blue ridden 1 time, must sell.

$925 w/ XT front der. and Hope seat clamp.

Call Brett 571-332-3801
    Last edited by brett ferguson; 01-09-2009 at 07:10 AM. Reason: 09 Chumba XCL BRAND NEW! For Sale Cheap!!