Plays nice with others

Midwest Custom Frame Builders

Who are some reputable custom frame builders located in the midwest? I live in Wisconsin and have decided to replace my hardtail with a custom job. I'm not ruling out builders in other parts of the country, but I'd like to add some local(ish) operations to my list of possibilities.

Some particulars I'm looking for:
    -Builds with high-quality steel
    -Specializes in---or has a lot of experience with---mountain bike frames
    -Has a good amount of experience with 650b
    -Is focused on getting the right fit
    -Preferably does fillet brazing (though not a necessity at this point)

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    My first would be for Scott Quiring of Quiring Cycles out of the LP. He knows mountain bikes and builds frames with great attention to fit out of steel. He has also done at least a few 650b wheels. He has also raced and won some of the bigger races in Michigan and Wisconsin so he knows what kind of trails we rail. Not sure about fillet brazing though. Great guy to work with!

Clockwork bikes out of Milwaukee does fillet brazing with steel and builds mountain bikes. Not sure if he has built any 650b's though.
    2011 Quiring 29er Steel Hardtail
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

Plays nice with others
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaskar24 View Post
    My first would be for Scott Quiring of Quiring Cycles out of the LP. He knows mountain bikes and builds frames with great attention to fit out of steel. He has also done at least a few 650b wheels. He has also raced and won some of the bigger races in Michigan and Wisconsin so he knows what kind of trails we rail. Not sure about fillet brazing though. Great guy to work with!

Clockwork bikes out of Milwaukee does fillet brazing with steel and builds mountain bikes. Not sure if he has built any 650b's though.
    I'm familiar with Clockworks, but I hadn't heard of Quiring. I'll have to check him out. Thanks for the tip.

Speedbump

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Shep Huntwood View Post
    I'm familiar with Clockworks, but I hadn't heard of Quiring. I'll have to check him out. Thanks for the tip.
    Quirking is in Charlotte MI. He does some great work.
    Crunchy. Even in mud.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Shamrock - in Indiana, has built both hard tail + suspended in 650b, only does steel. Up+comer who doesn't have a multi-year wait list.

Groovy - in Ohio, does it all in-house (design to paint), long wait though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornflake View Post
    Quirking is in Charlotte MI. He does some great work.
    Quiring Cycles is no longer in Charlotte, MI. The new address is: 8736 N. US 31, Freesoil, MI. Scott's shop is now located south of Manistee, MI. New Phone # is 231-464-5611.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Isn't that the Gunnar logo on your avatar? Waterford can offer everything you've listed in your post. There isn't anything special that goes into a 650b frame. Many times the chainstays are the same length as a 26er. Other than that it's getting the BB height dialed and even that's personal preference.

Plays nice with others
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_hudson View Post
    Shamrock - in Indiana, has built both hard tail + suspended in 650b, only does steel. Up+comer who doesn't have a multi-year wait list.

Groovy - in Ohio, does it all in-house (design to paint), long wait though.
    Shamrock is on my very-short list. He's really got some nice looking bikes and seems very comfortable with the 650b idea. Philosophies that resonate with me, too.

The Groovy bikes are beautiful, but a 60-month wait list? I'm patient, but not that patient.

Plays nice with others
    Quote Originally Posted by DekerfTeamST View Post
    Isn't that the Gunnar logo on your avatar? Waterford can offer everything you've listed in your post. There isn't anything special that goes into a 650b frame. Many times the chainstays are the same length as a 26er. Other than that it's getting the BB height dialed and even that's personal preference.
    Yep, that's a Gunnar logo. I've got three Gunnars: a Sport, a Roadie and a Ruffian. I bought the Sport new and had the dealer build it up. I bought the Roadie and Ruffian frames used and built them up myself. Guess which ones I like better.

I considered Waterford, but couldn't get excited about them. Not sure why. If I was looking to get a custom road bike, maybe. I'd like to work with a one-man building operation, too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Q'sMom View Post
    Quiring Cycles is no longer in Charlotte, MI. The new address is: 8736 N. US 31, Freesoil, MI. Scott's shop is now located south of Manistee, MI. New Phone # is 231-464-5611.
    Scott Quiring builds great bikes. I am currently riding a Quiring Scandium 26". I have currently initiated a domestic embezzlement plan that will net me a new Quiring Ti hardtail 650b next year
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry68 View Post
    Scott Quiring builds great bikes. I am currently riding a Quiring Scandium 26". I have currently initiated a domestic embezzlement plan that will net me a new Quiring Ti hardtail 650b next year
    Jerry68,

VERY COOL!!! I may be a little biased, though.