Am I crazy?
    May 2007

New question here. Leader Bike Build... Comments Please!?!?!?!

My first bike build. Going for an XC (reasonable light but durable) setup that can take some moderate abuse if needed.

Have a look at the build parts. Let me know how it looks.

Frame: Leader 516H (17")
    Headset: Cane Creek ZS-6 Zero Stack
    Fork: Marzocchi MX Pro ETA
    Stem: Thomson X4 O/S Mountain (100mm,10 deg)
    Handlebar: Race Face Evolve Low Riser (31.8mm)
    Seat Post: Thomson Aluminum Elite (27.2mm-330mm)
    Brake Levers: Avid Speed Dial 7
    Brakes: Avid Single Digit 7
    Front Derailleur: Sram X.7 Front Derailleur Low/High Clamp(?) (31.8mm // top-pull)
    Shifters (F&R): SRAM X.7 (Trigger)
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.7 (long cage)
    Chain: SRAM 991
    Rear Cassette: SRAM 990 Cassette
    Crankset: Race Face Evolve XC X Type Crankset w/ Bottom Bracket
    Wheelset: Shimano XT M760 Wheelset w/Mavic 717 Rims
    Tyres: Kenda Small Block Eight Kevlar
    Pedals: Crank Bros Candy C
    Saddle: Selle Italia C2 Gelflow
    Grips: Oury Mtn

Cheers.....

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    Looks like that same animal I build this past spring...be sure to stick with a shock between 80-100mm. If you choose to ru full housing the cable stops are very eay to dremmel out. I held my housing in place by running fish tank clear tubing on the outisde of 4mm housing. The clear pieces of fish tank tubing were just an inch long and held the housing in place at the cable stops that were drilled out. It took some time, but it worked great with seemless shifting. I also ran a 17"er.
    The wood is being bent! Let me know what you need!

Am I crazy?
    May 2007
    Hey TrekJeff, thx for the response... The MX Pro ETA is a 100mm travel fork; so the spec says

Ordered the frame and some parts over the weekend... Hope to get everything in the next 2 months or so...

Cheers...

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    Excellent, you'll be happy with it. The nice thing is that these frames come ready to build. You don't need to do any chasing and facing. When I get more time I'll post a pic showing your the bottom bracket and how it was already faced when I recieved it. The guys out in Leader do a great job. When you pick up your frame at the post office, you'l think the box is empty, the frame is that light!

Am I crazy?
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TrekJeff
    Excellent, you'll be happy with it. The nice thing is that these frames come ready to build. You don't need to do any chasing and facing. When I get more time I'll post a pic showing your the bottom bracket and how it was already faced when I recieved it. The guys out in Leader do a great job. When you pick up your frame at the post office, you'l think the box is empty, the frame is that light!
    SWEET!!! More and more I'm likin my decision to go with this frame. I don't live in the US, so it'll take a little longer to get to me.

If you could also take some pics of how you did the brake housing most appreciated...

BTW, what saddle are you using??

Thx man!!!

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    WTB Speed V

When you get your frame you'll see the stops just have the standard closure with just enough room for the cable to pass. I dremmeled/drilled this out large enough to take a 4mm housing. At the points along the frame that the housing passed through these stop points I ran clear fish tank air tubing over the housing. The clear tubing pieces are only about an inch long. The trick to get thses on the housing is to spray a bit of soapy water on the housing so it slides to the points you want. Once you have it set, then work the clear plastic into the housing stops along the frame. The result is that the housing stays put and you have awesome shifting.

mtbr member
    You made the right choice with that frame. I love my leader. It may be my favorite bike to ride. After I finished building it I have used it more then my fs bikes. It's just a blast to ride.

No good in rock gardens..
    Looks like a well thought out build.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

Am I crazy?
    May 2007
    Hey guys, thx for the comments. Spent lots of time on this site researching and some emails to Blue Sky Cycling, Eddie has been a great help.

I am very eager to get this bike built and rolling... Just have to settle on a saddle now. The specs of the C2 Gelflow look good but the pics have it looking very thin, which for me means a soar a$$ after 30 mins.
    The WTB's do look better.

TrekJeff, I think I understand what you mean now. You have full housing going along the top tube which as standard only allows the bare cable... Did you run the housing all the way down to the last rear derailleur stop?

Which front derailleur type to go with, high clamp or low clamp? For the Leader frame I know it is a top pull FD. Just not sure what's the deal with high or low clamp...

Thx!!!
    Last edited by HaOuLi; 08-18-2007 at 10:05 AM. Reason: ...added FD question...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by HaOuLi
    Which front derailleur type to go with, high clamp or low clamp? For the Leader frame I know it is a top pull FD. Just not sure what's the deal with high or low clamp...

Thx!!!
    Low clamp to allow room for the water bottle cage.

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    Ha,

I ran the housing all the way down to the rear der so there is no exposed cable.

I ran all Shimano, I do believe you can run a Shimano front der with your shifters, as it's just front, the rears run into problems with the degree of indexing. I believe SRAM indexes at a ratio of 1:1.4 and Shimano indexs at a ratio of 1:1.7 at the rear der.

Here's a pic of the front der, looks loke I went with a low clamp. The XT front will run a few bucks more, but from what I've read you'll get less ghost shifting and they're easy to adjust. Just for reference, that's a 44T big ring.

Am I crazy?
    May 2007
    Ok, so there's not RF Evolve or FSA V-Drive cranksets in stock So much for my non-Shimano build... Guess what crankset I went for instead

Should I change my front derailleur to Shimano as well? I am starting to feel the upgrade itch and I don't even have anything built yet

I am going to need to sit in a long chair and be spoken too...

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    I'd consider the Shimi...but I'm a bit bias. If the price increase is still in your budget, then I'd go for it. I based that primarily on my own bias, but the reviews of the SRAM and Shimano front ders support it.

As far as your crank choice, I don't think you'll have any compatability issues, so there shouldn't be any problem there.

although check out this

Am I crazy?
    May 2007
    I'd consider the Shimi...but I'm a bit bias. If the price increase is still in your budget, then I'd go for it. I based that primarily on my own bias, but the reviews of the SRAM and Shimano front ders support it.

As far as your crank choice, I don't think you'll have any compatability issues, so there shouldn't be any problem there.

although check out this

Yeah that's what has me thinking. For the most part, from what I have read Shimano FD's seem to do a better job that SRAM's. The XT FD seems to be pretty good, it would match the crank and from all accounts work GREAT with the SRAM shifters.

The first set of parts, including the crank, should be packed and read to ship, so no changes to that now... Very eager to see this frame

Am I crazy?
    May 2007
    I got my frame and first set of parts Man is this thing S.W.E.E.T
    I lifted the box and was absolutely puzzled, a frame can't be in here. Not only was the frame in there, the fork was too

Just as you said Jeff, I am extremely happy

Now to work on getting the rest of the parts...

Cheers...