Tire Geek O_o

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! LaPierre Zesty´s mud clearance, 2.35" tires possible?

Hi, i wonder why there is not a Forum perse on the LaPierres such as the other big brands..

Anyway, here is my question:

I can still get one Spic 316 (08) for 1999€, i think it looks awesome, is just the color and the 160mm travel the shies me away from it. (Mainly the organge color, i love the way it looks , but im not sure i can see it every time). the 516 is plainly great but then again, 160mm travel, too much (im not an agresive rider) and 1500€ more.

So, being that 160mm seem to much for my riding style, i was glad to find the Zestys,
    and i loved the looks on the 514, and the new 09 green one. 140mm travel adjustable, i was just about to put an order on one. Still its funny, the ´08 314 was soldout, and thre are just one 514, 714 left and they do cost much more than 1500€ over the spicy 316.

Still the big big big question here is: Mud and Tire clearance on the Zestys. It seems the ´08 came all out of production with 2" tires (too skinny for an all mountain, i mean the nuew Gary F. Roscoe has exactly the same travel and comes out with 2.4" tires).

And i have not found anye info on the remaining space to mount , lets say, some 2.35" Schwalbe´s Nobby Nics and still have mud clearance, it seems possible, but there would be less than 5mm for mud clearance.

Does anyone owns a ZEsty 08 or 09?? with wider tires mounted on it?
    if so can you Zesty owners with bigger tires, post any fotos on the tire and mud clearance???

I would appreciate

banned
    We have a Lapierre dealer on the forum "Papa Midnight", and I threw over a pm for him to check out this thread. He seems to be pretty knowledgeable on these rigs.

It's pretty amazing to see that I didn't really know about this brand before EB, and it has a huge following.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    @cesalec:
    First of all: The 2009 zesty and Spicy will arive in Germany in the next 1-2 weeks. I don´t know where you are located so mayybe you get stuff a bit later. Lapierre kept the 2008 prices excepted the Spicy 316 that is now at a listprice of € 2299,- which means € 100,- less than 2008. If you want to mount a Noby Nic 26x2.25 there will be no problem. Please DO NOT mount any tires wider than 2.35! By the way, it would´n make any sense on this rig...
    We often sell this one with Maxxis 2.35 tires and it worked perfectly.

Michelin tires were used due a collaboration between Lapierre and Michelin. 2009 models will use Conti.

Please get in touch for any further question.
    Papa Midnight - shop owner
    www.radstand-bielefeld.de

Tire Geek O_o
    Papa Midnight
    So what you are saying, is that for example a Zesty would work fine, with 2.25" and even with 2.35" ??
    is there still enough mud clearance?

Hmm I think i can get 08 spicy 316 for around 1800€ new, but i think 160 mm of travel might be too much for my style, and i can´t cope the orange color =/ , is just toooo orange, don´t get me wrong, it looks awesome but I k´now the color would get me tired of it pretty quickly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Try a Schwalbe Noby Nic in 26x2.25 and you have the perfect tire. You said that your riding style isn´t that aggressive, so why should you mount some fat Freeride tires? You will be happy with this solution and have enough clearance.
    Papa Midnight - shop owner
    www.radstand-bielefeld.de

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]I’ve seen 2.35 Nevegal’s being used with plenty of tire clearance and good mud clearance on the Zesty’s and they are BIG tires so you should not have any problems. Have you seen the 316 in real life, the orange is quite as overwhelming as in some of the photos but it sounds like the Zesty would be better for you and they’re more than up to the job.
    [/SIZE]

Tire Geek O_o

Good job!

hi guys, thank you for your replies finally some answers on the subject.

this video on the gary fischer roscoe website (http://www.fisherbikes.com) ilustrates mostly my type of riding, im also tempted on the Roscoe as it seems it has great reviews and I do want a bike to last at least for 5 years (as i cannot ride as oft as i would like anyway) without problems. For this type of riding a Trek Fuel Ex8 seems a bit short to the task (althoug a really nice bike and with a good price)

But the Roscoe shall be more expensive than a Zesty ´08

Its funny there are only a few Zestys 514 left in Austria, and some Spicys 316, the spicy is @1999€ ; 400€ cheaper than the 2399€, i don´t get it, shouldn´t be the other way around

I have not seen the Spicy 316 live, i´ve seen some pics and it does look astouning, is just im not to fond of orange to see it the whole time while i ride. (still i hope i can take a live view of them this weekend in Vienna.

Anyway do you guys know if the shock on the lapierres can be locked out for long climbs? and can the fork be adjusted?

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]The forks are not adjustable travel and you can’t lock out or use the pro pedal on the rear shock of the lower models, I think it works fine without it on the Zesty but the Spicy would benefit more from that.

Given the trouble with Gary Fisher’s other bikes I would have said you are more likely to get 5 years out of the Zesty, the Zesty has already proven itself over the last year.
    [/SIZE]

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by cesalec
    Its funny there are only a few Zestys 514 left in Austria, and some Spicys 316, the spicy is @1999€ ; 400€ cheaper than the 2399€, i don´t get it, shouldn´t be the other way around
    Lapierres starting with a "5" have better parts than those starting with "3".

Tire Geek O_o
    EGF168
    If i wanted to get the these 2 things, adjustable fork, since i´m living in Austria, this is really important to me, due to the long excruciating turtled paced climbs. So i really need to block the fork (around 100mm) and the shock for climbing, letting them loose on their travels to ride back down the trails.

After this, which LaPierre modells would you recommend???

I saw a german video review somewhere, where they said the shock on the Lapierre worked almost perfectly riding climbs without movement or bob. But i find it kid of hard to believe. And i have never used a Fox Racing Fork.

Are the fFischers that bad ? or are you a LaPierre fan ??

mtbr member
    EGF168
    If i wanted to get the these 2 things, adjustable fork, since i´m living in Austria, this is really important to me, due to the long excruciating turtled paced climbs. So i really need to block the fork (around 100mm) and the shock for climbing, letting them loose on their travels to ride back down the trails.

After this, which LaPierre modells would you recommend???

I saw a german video review somewhere, where they said the shock on the Lapierre worked almost perfectly riding climbs without movement or bob. But i find it kid of hard to believe. And i have never used a Fox Racing Fork.

Are the fFischers that bad ? or are you a LaPierre fan ??
    [SIZE=2]A bit of both, I love Lapierre but if you look at the Fisher forum it wouldn’t take too much looking to find a few issues with their bikes.

I think bobbing is more to do with setup because I’ve found the Zesty actually bobs less than my Giant Trance but it’s obviously not as fast as my Trance, Giant’s maestro suspension is supposed to be one of the best but they send the bikes out with funny shock setting whereas the Lapierre’s are pretty good. The Fox forks are very good, you can reduce the bobbing with the rebound or you can completely lock it out for climbing.

Apart from the higher models I don’t think there are any other Lapierre bikes that would suite you, the X-control is probably a little too XC for you.
    [/SIZE]

Tire Geek O_o
    Hehehe i can understand that you love the LaPierres, i have also fallen for their design they just look plain great!

But it seems i´will stick with a Cube Stereo 09, since they come with a RS Revelation 426 fork, wich is adjustable and lockable, for a better price than any of the LaPierre´s, since the only ones with adjustable forks , are the the Zesty 714 and 914 and they are way too expensive for my limit.

The Trek Fuel Ex8 was the second option, but it goes more towards XC with only 130mm / 120mm travel, and they only come with a Fox Float 130 RL which is also not adjustable and it seems is also not blockable (or am i confused ??)

On the other hand the Cube Stereo comes equiped with:
    -Rock Shox Revelation 426 U-Turn 110-140mm, Motion Control, PopLoc
    -Fox Float RP23 190mm
    -Schwalbes Fat Albert 2.4"

With a LaPierre and a Trek i would switch the tires for at least Nobby Nics right away, and with the Trek i also would have to change the seatpost (stock bontrager) for something much reliable.

It´s sad but i guess i´l go the german way and stick once more with a Cube (brand wich i kinda also love), i just liked the more "forward sporty" design of the Ex8 and Zesty.

Tire Geek O_o
    and with the Trek i also would have to change the seatpost (stock bontrager) for something much reliable.
    i meant more reliable

banned
    What I found interesting at EB is that you don't just have one or two HUGE makers, like we have in Trek and Spec in the US. There were many filling large percentages of the halls, Cube being one of them. One thing I also found impressive about these companies is that for the most part, many associate "generic" geometries with Trek and Specialized, pretty lacking compared to boutique maker geo, where they don't compromise to get more people to like it in the shop parking lot. So this was a trait I saw in such companies as Cube, who have HUGE lines, but pretty specialized missions.

Tire Geek O_o
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    So this was a trait I saw in such companies as Cube, who have HUGE lines, but pretty specialized missions.

What do you mean?

banned
    Meaning they don't have those "Generic for the parking lot test" geometries and feel. FOr the most part, the boutique builders make their geos more specialized because the consumers know what kind of a ride they are looking for and the builders can cater to that.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Another good choice, I like Cube too but you’ll have to do 2 things, make sure you can actually get one as I hear they are hard to come by and post it up when you get it into the Cube thread.

[SIZE=2]Cube has changed the geometry on a lot of bikes for 2009 because so many people disliked the riding position etc on the 08’s so they should be much better now.
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]

Tire Geek O_o
    Yeah i red the Cube Forum on a german site today, they say the cubes wont be available until Apr. 09. Still the price of the Stereo 09 is quite attractive compared to Trek or LaPierre, which deliver lower quality components on their bikes, and i´d have to pay around 1000€ more to get the same quality i get on the Stereo ´09. And i wont buy a bike without an adjustable/lockut fork (thats for sure), since no LBS will to shop-swap the fork for a TALAS 140RLC even if a py the difference...... i wont bouy the talas alone and then swap it since it costs almos 800€.

Too bad, i guess i´ll go for an anodized black cube stereo 09

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by EGF168
    Cube has changed the geometry on a lot of bikes for 2009 because so many people disliked the riding position etc on the 08’s so they should be much better now.
    At least Stereo and Frizz are a bit lower: lower BB, lower everything. Apparently people felt the previoius versions were too tall.

local trails rider
    And on the topic of Lapierre Zesty tyre clearance.... whatever is sensible tyre sizing, Mountain King 2.4, Racing Ralph 2.4 and Nobby Nic 2.4 seem to work well for me, so I want my bikes to be able to handle them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    At least Stereo and Frizz are a bit lower: lower BB, lower everything. Apparently people felt the previoius versions were too tall.
    [SIZE=2]Yeah, I didn’t like the Scott Genius or the Cube Stereo for that reason when I rode them, it sounds like the Cube’s will be much better but I’ll be very interested to try the Scott.
    [/SIZE]