Thread: KHS xc904r

mtbr member

KHS xc904r

WOW!! I am finally getting out on my bike and I can't believe how nice this is. Keep in mind this is my first Full Suspension as I rode a hardtail since I started riding Mt. Bikes about 13 years ago. It's stiff in the tail laterally: SID Front fork is superb: Climbs amazing when not locked out and then I have the option of locking out either shock remotly: Light weight around 25 lbs. Love to hear about other riders with his bike and their thoughts.

I bike long tyme.
    I got a 2003 full SID XC704R ( basically same frame, diff. components ) and it is one killer XC frameset. Great XC geometry, extremely lightweight (mine was 24#) and though I bought mine as a frame only and went the custom build route, I understand KHS outfitted these bikes with a awesome spec for the price. Definitely was an awesome choice to get her into the world of full suspension XC. I only rode it a few times as its a small and a tad too tight for me but it offered a supple ride and efficient pedaling platform for the types of trails we got up here in NE Ohio. Definitely smooths out the trail. The true 4 bar Specialized rear end on these things is also a huge selling point as pedal feedback and brake jack were pretty much nonexistent. As much as I love that bike though I bought a Cruz Heckler frameset last week as my riding partner is wanting to forsake hillclimbing and fast singletrack and adopt a more aggressive riding style, jumping and learning to do some small drops and stuff and the KHS is definitely NOT the right tool for those jobs. These things are superlightweight XC racers. So I told her to wait until we got her something she could beat on before she was allowed to try riding off the front porch. She definitely also needed a slacker head angle for our soon to become every other weekly trips to Snowshoe,WV so the KHS is now stripped down to frame, shock, fork and stem and will be in the MTBR classifieds as soon as I take some photos of it. It will be missed though. Great machine. Anyone interested in a small , bigfoot blue 2003 XC704R frameset with full SID, FSA headset and either a Ritchey 120mm or Kore 110mm stem? Some scratches here and there and cable wear but maintained well and mechanically perfect. I just cleaned and regreased all the rear pivot points also. Keep and eye out for it within the week in the classifieds or send me a PM. Have fun on your 904 man. You can't go wrong with it.
    Last edited by Secace; 02-09-2007 at 10:34 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I just picked up a KHS xc904r frame and built it up with components off of my KHS Alite 4000 HT. I haven't weighed it yet but with the parts on it, Manitou Skareb Platinum forks, Easton Monkeylite carbon bars, Avid Ti v brakes etc. it should be pretty light. Had to go back to FS due to issues with age and wear and tear on body. I couldn't be happier with this bike. Doesn't climb quite like the Alite 4000 but then what does? Sure does make hitting the roots and rocks a whole lot easier on the body. Still dialing in the suspension and adjusting things but so far love the bike.