Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Fueled by Tigerblood
    Heres a couple of my freshly built Eriksen, Theres a few changes i still have to make, including the brakes, fork, saddle, cages, and grips. But for now it is the way it is (and at least rideable :-D)

Fun fact: The frame, Headset, and Botom bracket combined weighs 1712g..... While the fork ALONE weighs 1397g.......

DAMN.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by morrisgarages
    Just wondering...is the serial number that Kent uses corresponds to the number of bikes he's built? Like mine is #569 so does that mean its the 569th bike he's built or sold for a customer? If that would be the case, I wonder who has #001 or even #005 or some of the early ones. It would be cool to see the first few KE frames so we can see if there has been any changes to his works.
    Well yeah, I think the changes have just been shifting as the industry does. Like, the older ones probably have more cantilever posts and now more disc brake mounts. But the quality of work is gonna be the same. Kent perfected his craftsmanship years ago with Moots. The frames are just getting better with the new technology. For example, I'm really loving this post above with the tapered head tube. That looks sick. I've seen it done on other Ti bikes, but not like this. Kent is an artist.

mtbr member
    The Mango is sweet!

Fueled by Tigerblood
    Thanks man!

2011 ERIKSEN XX BUILD IN PROGRESS HERE: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=698673

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Wow sweet bikes! Making me think again about my decision to paint a Ti frame, but I'm confident it will turn out great.

Hellocook ... Real neat how Kent did your tapered head tube. Two pieces welded together and all. I think he may have changed it a bit as he just buit my bike with a single 1.5" tube and is machining a Ti insert to reduce the top diameter. Haven't seen the setup yet though ...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    it was a short term change request to fit the angle headset and kent came up with this idea.

i understand he used 2 tubes welded together and with his welding abilities it turned out to be an amazing piece of art ...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hellocook
    it was a short term change request to fit the angle headset and kent came up with this idea.

i understand he used 2 tubes welded together and with his welding abilities it turned out to be an amazing piece of art ...
    Cool. I had requested just a standard King tapered. Just to be clear, I believe Chris Moore does most of the actual welding for Eriksen. He is listed as the lead welder on their website. Credit where credit is due ...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    if you want to credit the right person, i would say it is katie.

she seems to keep the bunch of guys together. and happy.

hmm, that must be why chris' welds look that great. must be happy welds.
    Last edited by hellocook; 05-13-2011 at 08:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    is it the zs 49mm headtube?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hellocook
    is it the zs 49mm headtube?
    Yes, 49mm = 1.5" ... Will be using a tapered fork.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    very nice, enjoy the ride.

where did you get the anodizing done?

Fueled by Tigerblood
    I usually don't like to see painted ti, but that frame is downright SICK!!!!
    2011 ERIKSEN XX BUILD IN PROGRESS HERE: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=698673

Fueled by Tigerblood
    Who did you have paint it btw?

And get up some finished build pics when you're done!

Chris

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Eriksen offered the anodising, might be a new service. Spectrum Powder Works powder coated the frame. They are really busy, but the wait was worth it for sure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    You can anodize Ti ??? Never knew that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Onetrack View Post
    You can anodize Ti ??? Never knew that.
    Sorry, no. I meant the rear triangle was sent off to be anodized by Eriksen. The main triangle is powdercoated by Spectrum Powder Works.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You can anodize Ti. Looks pretty cool. Leni Fried does some really cool stuff. You can find her at One-Off Titanium. I had a buddy back in the day who had his litespeed done, I don't think there was any Ti color left on the frame after she was done. If I remember right the anodizing was almost as much as the frame, but it sure was cool.

mtbr member
    Dipan Any updates on the frame?? That thing looks sweet. If I get another Eriksen it will be with the Ventana rear end for sure.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by njbiker66 View Post
    Dipan Any updates on the frame?? That thing looks sweet. If I get another Eriksen it will be with the Ventana rear end for sure.
    Will arrive next week and will take.week to build probably ... I'm really excited to see and ride it! Been waiting a year so week won't break me though ...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Frame has arrived. I can't wait until it is built up to ride it maybe by next week. Here's a pic with many more on the KGS flickr photostream here for anyone interested ...

Last edited by dipan; 06-22-2011 at 09:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dipan View Post
    Frame has arrived. I can't wait until it is built up to ride it maybe by next week. Here's a pic with many more on the KGS flickr photostream here for anyone interested ...

Dude that looks absolutely incredible!! Usually I would be against painting Ti but this is very tasteful and subtle. It just looks like a million bucks and I'm probably not too far off

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 3fast3furious View Post
    Dude that looks absolutely incredible!! Usually I would be against painting Ti but this is very tasteful and subtle. It just looks like a million bucks and I'm probably not too far off
    Thanks, I really like the way it turned out also! Cost of paint was basically nothing compared to frame and parts. It's looking like it might come in around the 25lb mark ... I'm happy about that also, not much heavier than my XC bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 3fast3furious View Post
    +1! That is a truly amazing looking bike. It has also started me rethinking what I am going to get for my next bike. Swinging back towards a Ti full suspension. Not sure if I missed it or not but what size wheels and how much travel? Did Elka have to cutom tune the shock for this bike based on info from Kent or did you get a shock set up for another bike from them?
    2011 Quiring 29er Steel Hardtail
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaskar24 View Post
    +1! That is a truly amazing looking bike. It has also started me rethinking what I am going to get for my next bike. Swinging back towards a Ti full suspension. Not sure if I missed it or not but what size wheels and how much travel? Did Elka have to cutom tune the shock for this bike based on info from Kent or did you get a shock set up for another bike from them?
    Thanks! It was designed for the Ventana el Ciclon geometry, which this rear triangle is exactly. Kent implemented it per Ventana's specs. This is a 26er with 5.5" rear travel. The way I look at it, 26" wheels are tried and true. I relish all the technical bits on a trail and didn't want to risk losing some of that slow speed precision stuff with the bigger wheels. That being said, I'm not going to rule out a 29er in my future

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast