Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'll watch for her. I finished selecting parts with Katie yesterday. I ended up going with the Stan's/Chris King combo. They're telling me I may have it as soon as the end of January depending on parts availability. Now I wait...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by glove650B View Post
    I'll watch for her. I finished selecting parts with Katie yesterday. I ended up going with the Stan's/Chris King combo. They're telling me I may have it as soon as the end of January depending on parts availability. Now I wait...
    Good things come to those that wait. It's cool that you chose to get your Chris King stuff through them. I didn't get my entire bike from them but I did have them press in my CK headset. It makes it easier than taking it into a bike shop and having to hear about how you didn't buy from them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    That's a big part of the reason I figured I'd have them build the whole thing (avoiding the guys at the shop browbeating me about not buying the parts there and having them assemble it). Katie tells me they will ship it in a travel case if they do the entire build. I did go to the local bike shop to order an extra set of I9's to go with the new set-up. Gotta wait over a month for those too...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Dipan,

Nice ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Eriksen Campy CX from Canada

Hello MTBr,
    Eriksen “678” here. I figured I’d chime in on my latest build. I’d first like to thank Kent/Katie and the rest of the Eriksen team for what in my mind is industrial art at its absolute finest!!

With that said, here's my nearly finished Eriksen Campy Record Cross. I don’t race CX but wanted a mild trail bike that I could convert easily to road with a simple wheel change. The pictures show it being tested fitted for clearance(s) and proper fit as I only ordered the frame and needed to source the remaining parts here in Canada. Some of the parts include Mavic wheels, Rocket Ron tires, Ti water cages, and a ton on Extralite hardware incling nuts, bolts, canti studs, etc...The seat post height, stem length, etc... still need to be corrected. I've sent the fork out for custom paint work (matching Ti) and the (dare I say it?) Moots Ti RSL stem is in route. Kent used a 1.5” head tube and super beefy 1” chain stays. The current build weight w/o pedals is down to roughly 16.4/7449g (7300ish w/Campy Shamals). I am however having a tough time committing to the record 50/34 crank due to the larger 1” chain stays. The clearance between the chain stays/rings is minimal to say the least (see photo). Kent swears it’s going to be fine and has even offered to re-dimple the frame if it really, really bothered me. However, to save the hassle of shipping it back to the States, I’m thinking of swapping it out for a crank with smaller chain rings, Regardless… love the bike. Can’t wait to ride it. Enjoy the pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kent ERIKSEN frames-img_4475.jpg  

Kent ERIKSEN frames-img_4473.jpg  

Kent ERIKSEN frames-img_4470.jpg  

Kent ERIKSEN frames-img_4467.jpg  

Kent ERIKSEN frames-img_4472.jpg  

Kent ERIKSEN frames-img_4477.jpg  

Kent ERIKSEN frames-img_4453.jpg  

mtbr member

Sorry it took so long...

Well I forgot to take a picture of my build before I sold my wheels for the season. But I took one with my camera on my phone and had forgotten about it. Here she is #643. 29er SS only. Paragon Sliding Drops, 44mm Head Tube, the usual stuff.

I must say I was super happy about the frame buying experience. I was pretty happy on my old frame (GF Superfly SS) and wanted a similar build to it. I really enjoyed the fact that it was pretty compliant vertically and stiff at the BB (but not overly so). Kent really spent quite some time getting the drawing/frame I was looking for. It took a while for each of us to understand where the other was getting the difference in measurements. I will say, Kent is really big on Front Center Distance. If you want him to make changes to HT angle, you have to talk him into lengthening the Front Center. He really stays locked in with the TT length (for which I am very glad, otherwise my frame would be a little long).

I was happy we talked about the tubing selection as long as we did as well. I was never concerned with weight knowing it would be light enough, especially with my build. Kent went superlight on the TT and Seat stays to help get the compliance I was looking for. Same with the short Seat Tube. With more post exposed, the titanium can better work it's magic. The frame rides incredibly smooth, but provides a little more feedback than my Superfly which is good.

The beefy areas were in the HT/DT/Chainstay selection. I chewed Kent's ear off for a little while about the 44mm HT deal. I felt like part of the reason the Superfly steered so well was the large junction between the TT/DT/HT area. I felt like these being joined together in that fashion really increased the stiffness without needing a tapered steerer. Kent actually went a little smaller on the DT than originally planned due to my like of the Superfly vs. S-Works BB stiffness I had talked to him about.

Either way frame came out to 1650 grams/ 3.6lbs with seatpost collar before the Ti hardware was installed.

Frame's geometry is pretty close to a 17.5 Superfly.

16" ST c-t (so much extra room!)
    584mm ETT
    69.7deg HTA
    73.2deg STA
    435mm chainstay length (all the way forward)

Any ways here is the build in the picture. Only thing changing for 2012 are the wheels, and I will probably build the exact same thing for this season

Kent Eriksen 29er SS w/ Paragon Sliders coated by STB Coatings and Ti hardware
    Rock Shox SID WC QR15 or Niner Carbon Tapered Rigid
    Cane Creek 110 ZS Headset
    3T Team Stem 90mm x -17deg (HT could be a little shorter)
    3T Extendo LTD Bar 670mm width
    Formula R1 Brakes
    Ergon GS-1 Grips
    Shimano XTR M980-2 Crank w/ e.13 36t chainring
    Chris King Ceramic BB
    SRAM PC-890 Chain
    Eriksen Sweet Post
    Selle Italia SLR TT Saddle
    Chris King ISO SS Hubs
    Stan's No Tubes Crest Rims
    DT Swiss Supercomp Spokes and Alloy Nips
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph/S-Works Fast Trak Tires (honestly I run all kinds of tires)

Sorry for the long winded write up, but I haven't given the bike enough love. I actually haven't ridden it more than 500 miles as of yet. I received it at the beginning of August, trained and raced it twice in XC races, and then put it away dirty. I have been on my Pugsley ever since. I was planning on ordering this bike in 2012, but another manufacturer kept having production delays. It was meant to be. I will add some proper pics when I get my new wheels built up. Especially some detail shots. Thanks for reading.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kent ERIKSEN frames-resize_1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    ia_ss157,

Do you mind me asking how much your frame ended up costing? Somewhere around $3.5k?

I am interested in having a frame made but don't know how it would work with me being in the UK.

Mudder
    When it was all said and done it would probably be somewhere around that price.
    Haikus are easy
    But sometimes they don't Make sense
    Refrigerator

mtbr member
    Price was $3750 for the frame with the upgrades to sliders and a 44mm head tube. Post was another $200. Another tip, send Kent your King Titanium water bottle cages and have them blasted to match the finish on the bike. They match perfectly and add a level of classiness. Moots stole my idea right after I got my bike! (and by stole, someone probably asked like I did and they decided to offer it right out of the box which makes perfect sense.)
    Last edited by ia_ss157; 02-19-2012 at 08:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    We finally had a couple sunny days outside Chicago, so I snapped a couple pictures (before it gets dirty)...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kent ERIKSEN frames-img_3819.jpg  

Kent ERIKSEN frames-img_3820.jpg  

Kent ERIKSEN frames-img_3821.jpg  

Kent ERIKSEN frames-img_3823.jpg  

Kent ERIKSEN frames-img_3829.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

A few more pics

Here are a few more...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kent ERIKSEN frames-img_3831.jpg  

Kent ERIKSEN frames-img_3832.jpg  

Kent ERIKSEN frames-img_3839.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Here are a few more...
    Are those Velocity Blunts?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    That looks superb glove! Though I admit to having a soft spot for Ti frames with blue bling. Boy do I miss my old YBB.

Of course until Palos is rideable it will be awhile until it gets dirty.
    2011 Quiring 29er Steel Hardtail
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Yes, they are Blunts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thanks. Hopefully I'll be able to get out and get it dirty soon...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ia_ss157 View Post
    Another tip, send Kent your King Titanium water bottle cages and have them blasted to match the finish on the bike. They match perfectly and add a level of classiness.
    This is a good idea. I thought about it last year but didn't want to send my cages out in the middle of the season. Thanks for reminding me. I talked to Kent yesterday and he was pretty cool about doing it for me. I had thought if I ever get another Eriksen made, I might have him just weld the King Cages right to the frame. I saw a Blacksheep where that was done and it looked pretty cool.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yes, they are Blunts.
    Great looking build. Why did you go with such a chunky rim on such a nice race rig? Lots of nice 650b rims out that are much lighter such as ZTR355's and Crests which are over a 100g's lighter per rim. Although not as light as the previously mentioned the Blunt SL and Pacenti rims are also much lighter than the standard Blunt and these all have better tubeless bead seats as well compared to the Blunts. Just some info. coming from a long time 650b rider.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DekerfTeamST View Post
    Great looking build. Why did you go with such a chunky rim on such a nice race rig? Lots of nice 650b rims out that are much lighter such as ZTR355's and Crests which are over a 100g's lighter per rim. Although not as light as the previously mentioned the Blunt SL and Pacenti rims are also much lighter than the standard Blunt and these all have better tubeless bead seats as well compared to the Blunts. Just some info. coming from a long time 650b rider.
    I agree with Randy here. Stan's rims are great for tubeless beadlocking. Do the 650b rims come in white, though? When are you going to get an Eriksen made? Kent would love to talk 650b with you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 3fast3furious View Post
    I agree with Randy here. Stan's rims are great for tubeless beadlocking. Do the 650b rims come in white, though? When are you going to get an Eriksen made? Kent would love to talk 650b with you.
    I don't believe the Stan's rims are available in white for 650b. If white was the deciding factor then I would have went with the Velocity Blunt SL which is available in white, much lighter than the Blunt, and has the new P35 tubeless bead seat which Pacenti helped develop for the original P35 rim.

I'd like to ride an Eriksen as they are probably one of the best Ti builds out there but it isn't happening at full price. If I did I'd be in the market for a full suspension to complement my hardtail for endurance racing.

mtbr member
    I don't believe the Stan's rims are available in white for 650b. If white was the deciding factor then I would have went with the Velocity Blunt SL which is available in white, much lighter than the Blunt, and has the new P35 tubeless bead seat which Pacenti helped develop for the original P35 rim.

I'd like to ride an Eriksen as they are probably one of the best Ti builds out there but it isn't happening at full price. If I did I'd be in the market for a full suspension to complement my hardtail for endurance racing.

well I better see that Titus do 20+ laps in Wausau. Meanwhile I'm shooting for 8

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 3fast3furious View Post
    well I better see that Titus do 20+ laps in Wausau. Meanwhile I'm shooting for 8
    I think 20+ is doable if we don't get another monsoon! Are you doing a duo?

mtbr member
    I think 20+ is doable if we don't get another monsoon! Are you doing a duo?

Yep, 24 hr duo. Hurricane Wausau was a bit much last year. Hoping that doesn't happen again, either.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    WoW!...tough crowd. The rims pictured are actually Blunt SL's, but I have a set of ZTR355's laced to King hubs as well. Was worried about access to 650 wheels and wanted to have an extra set on hand. And no, there are no 650B Stans available in white...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Stan's

these are set up to be run tubeless, but I have not removed the tubes they installed when they shipped them to me
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kent ERIKSEN frames-img_3858.jpg  

Kent ERIKSEN frames-img_3859.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    With the 1 inch chain stays and what looks like an bigger than standard top tube, plus the 650 wheels that bike must scoot when you stand up and drop the hammer. I luv my KE ht 29er.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast