Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Kelly Owners Thread

Hi folks,

I noticed all other Kelly related threads are dead or lacking content. I thought it would be nice to start a new thread for Kelly owners to post their ride. Feel free to add a picture, a description of your ride,where you ride, and anything else. Cheers!

Here's mine:

geek-3.jpg
    Kelly DeLuxe M
    Built with parts aged from '99-'07
    Living in Northeast FL right now so the Kelly gets brought out to ride Reddick and Santos while most of my riding gets done on my SS at Hanna park.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Roshambo

You know, it's funny about Kelly Bikes - they aren't as coveted as IF, Sycip, Seven or other high end custom frames, but they are super handling well thought out no nonsense bikes. I picked up a used roshambo a few years ago. The bike was an early 29er when the only tire available was the 2.1 nanoraptor. That didn't limit tire clearance like so many of the other 29ers at the time. I'm currently running 2.3s with room to spare. This is testament to Chris' foresight and solid engineering. I shipped the frame back to Chris two years ago to add disk tabs and have it powder coated. I have a bunch of bikes and have cycled through some very nice frames, but I always come back to the roshambo. It's just right - it fits like a glove with telepathic handling. The bike is a keeper. Can't say enough good things about Kelly. Get one if you can.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    what the hell is going on with our fork?

mtbr member

Looks like ann Action Tec to me

I't's similar to the Cdale headshock. I've considered building a 29r softail or short travel custom with one of those. It only works with a 1.25" headtube that is 5 to 5.25" long headtube so a custom is the only option and the travel is limited to about 2 3/8".

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I have Kelly Deluxe set up as a SS. Purchased during the unfortunate sell off along with a few of the black ones that I gifted to family members. Will post picts as soon as I resize for upload.

I've spoken with him a couple of times over the last few weeks and here is the latest. Chris is making frames again and is slowly getting everything in order to start getting the frames out to the public. For those of you who purchased front triangles from him a few years ago, he is considering working a deal with you on finishing up the frame. Be on the lookout at kellybike.com

Everything he is doing now is "one-off" for each customer.

As an owner of two IF's and a Kelly, I can say that his powercoat with clear over rivals the Independent wet paint process. Not to say that one is better than the other, but they both are pretty tough and make a nice finish.

I've put in my order for another Deluxe - true one-speed with dedacciai stays, OX2 front triangle.

If you are looking for handmade in the USA frame from a one man shop, consider Chris. I have enjoyed our conversations and have appreciated his advice on framebuilding and paint and decal choices. As with all the handmade and custom frames, he does have a lead time that I'm sure will increase as his orders come in.

mtbr member

Bonestock

I picked up a Bonestock when they were closing shop a few years back. I wish I had went with a CX bike since the Kelly is my back-up road bike and doesn't get much love....
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Alohavolley,

Have you done business with Chris Kelly since he restarted his business?

I placed a frame order with him last April, and although he charged my credit card I still have no frame. I've been waiting 6 months!

In an email last May he said the frame was "built and ready for powercoating" but later he backtracked and said it wasn't completed. I've been in touch with him several times since and he has never been true to his word... This is the short version of the story.

I've been leaving him voicemails and emails several times a week over the last few months but he's been evasive. I also filed a complaint with the BBB but he didn't respond to them... This is ridiculous.

What's your experience with him been like?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Kelly Bikes

In addition to the PM I sent earlier.

My dealings with Chris at Kelly Bikes have been nothing but great. A SS frame was delivered today and it is beyond my expectations.

Communication by phone and emails has been consistent. I was able to follow the build through his Facebook page and through Twitter. I'm sure he gets behind on some days which delays the final delivery date, but I can understand.

I'm not sure of how your situation is coming along, I hope it gets resolved soon and you are riding your Kelly bike. Once you get it, I'm sure you will be happy with it. Do please let us know how it all works out.

I will post picts of my new toy soon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for the update. Iím glad it worked out for you.

I forwarded this thread to Chris, and shortly after I heard back from him. He has agreed to refund me in a ďtimelyĒ manner. I will keep everyone updated about how this goes.

As an FYI, hereís a short summary of what happened-

I ordered the frame in April right when Chris restarted the company. He said that completing the order would take a few weeks. 3 to 4 weeks later he emailed me saying the frame was ďbuilt and ready for powdercoating,Ē and he charged the remaining amount to my credit card. Beforehand he said that the powdercoating process takes less than a dayís amount of work. I was one of only a couple orders at the time, so I expected the frame to arrive shortly thereafter.

I got in touch with him about a month or so afterwards because it didnít arrive. He regressed by saying that the frame wasnít finished because he didnít have adequate tooling to build the rear triangle. I tried to get in touch with him many times over the next couple months but communication lines deteriorated.

Now that Chris has finally gotten back to me I look forward to a resolution. I understand that he was just starting his business, but my experience has been the opposite of yours. There is no doubt he is a really cool guy, but from my viewpoint, he could have handled this much better. He now has the opportunity to salvage the situation by refunding my credit card. I am really bummed though because I sold my mountain and cross bike to finance this, so Iíve missed out on a lot of riding.

Again, Iíll keep everyone posted on how the situation progresses. Now that he has everything up and running again Iím sure everything will work out.

Squalor
    Jan 2004
    My old RoShamBo...

Great bike!

LP

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    My Deluxe (orange), my buddies Deluxe (black) and my Knobby X..
    love these bikes, need to find a Deluxe SS in Medium.

mtbr member
    I hope this works out for you.

My only dealings with him impressed me greatly. This was a few years back, before he went out of business. I bought a straight bladed disk specific fork and was concerned about the alignment of the disk tabs so I emailed him with my questions. Imagine my surprize when my email was followed up with a phone call from Chris himself answering my questions. I have never had that happen before or since.

Back then he impressed me as honest and sincere. Hopefully nothing has changed.

Good luck,

TCN

mtbr member
    I was going to post up "one of the best handling bikes" I have ever owned- a Kelly Deluxe.
    Out of many bikes I own, I reach for this steel dream 80% of the time; trips out of state, 24 hr races- you name it.

THAT said, the guy on this thread who is waiting for a frame to be finished, and is being very patient but essentially experiencing a never-ending and protracted hassle w Kelly is NOT getting his frame, nor his money back despite endless promises. I am noting this independently because this is just a really bad restart for the brand Kelly. It is local, and I would rather see the RIGHT THING DONE, and proceed with extolling the brand (and also I can post a goddamn pic of my Pride).

CK- We all have missteps, let this be one that doesn't knock you down, flat. I'd hate to see it happen; you have many loyal, loving owners who would help if it's just a stumble.

Ride steel, stay hairy.
    I've looooong lusted after a bike from Kelly and am finally in a financial position to order one.. but the above posts have made me a tad nervous about proceeding.. it's alot of money to gamble with (I'm on the Aussie dollar) and would really like to hear some more feedback or the result of the above proceedings before going ahead.

...I really want to order a Knobby X with vertical or sliding dropouts! Soooo awesome. Hope it happens.
    www.bottlesandchains.com
    'ride local, drink global'

mtbr member
    That is a shame...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Kelly update- June 2010

Has anyone been in recent contact with Chris Kelly?

I am still waiting to be reimbursed for a Kelly frame that I never received. In a November 2nd, 2009 email, CK promised to pay me back in a "timely manner," but I have yet to receive any payment. He refuses to engage with myself or the Better Business Bureau. It is very frustrating because he has had my money since May 2009. I have been without a mountain bike for over a year!

If any Kelly Owners can help, please let me know.

mtbr member
    I haven't heard anything re Chris/Kelly production locally, sightings or about visits to his shop. His website suggests all is up and running though- taking orders, etc.

Some members of Bicyclists Of Nevada County- BONC, are pretty clued in to the local bike scene, and they should be able to give you the skinny. See if you can get on their Yahoo group listing and inquire. If unsuccessful, post back here and I'll catch it, and I'll track down a few dudes who should know Kelly's status.

I can't believe this issue has not ben resolved by now.

mtbr member
    I just got a Knobby X. Great bike so far.

CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    i want to get some new forks for my kelly deluxe. i don't know if the geometry is ok with a 100mm travel fork. any thoughts?
    derrgti, how much travel does the fox fork on your deluxe have?

mtbr member
    First fork on my Deluxe was a 100 Manitou black, and it was a blast to ride. Then I put on an IT Minute 130 (short travel respectively doesn't always work with the rides we do in the Sierra Nevada Mtns), Even though I could move from 100 to 130, 130 is where it stays, and the bike handles beautifully. When I do move it back to 100 - which is pretty rare; it's for very long steep climbs only, it feels a bit dead to me otherwise. Mostly just plain juxtaposition I know (considering first experience), but it does support that at 130, the bike handles perfectly fine, feels great, full control, balance, and so forth. And this make it a fine all-mountain bike, preferred and most often the only choice from the stable when comes a ride. Damn sweet bike.
    So there is quite a bit of leeway w forks. Occasionall I'll drop it to 100 for kicks and I just as quickly move it back up. The A2C for the Minute may be a bit shorter than comparable 120 to 140 mm travel forks.
    I'll say throwin on the 130 was not death for the deluxe- quite the opposite.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If ANYONE has been in recent contact with Chris Kelly, please let me know. It's been over a year since he agreed to refund me for a frame I never received- an order dating back to April 2009.

A few months ago I got in touch with CK's landlord via the Nevada Co Assessor's office. Turns out that CK was evicted from his shop and is being sued for back-rent.

At this point, it seems as though I will never receive my money. I have filed three BBB cases and he has not responded to any of them. How can he do this?

What is most unfortunate is that I never received a bike. These rigs look sooo sweet.

mtbr member
    i mailed him 16.06.2010 regarding a respray and got an answer 18.06.2010.
    tried to order some decals then but never got an answer.
    hope you'll get your refund, good luck!

mtbr member
    Any new Kelly frames out there? Shopping for a new cross bike.

mtbr member
    Schanson2- seems you have moved on, without refund. Well the sum-da-***** is alive and well, and a host of his own show on KVMR 89.5 Nevada City. Just walk into their office, and say you need to send him something. Then make a personal visit.

At the very least, when he is next on the air, call in and ask for your refund.

mtbr member
    Chris Kelly is currently doing the Bike Talk Show on KVMR 89.5, Nevada City, 95959

https://www.facebook.com/KellyBikeCompany

This FB page has contact info, and it seems by this he is still doing the bike build thing too

So for those in search for bikes maybe, and those seeking refund certainly

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast