mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Just pulled the trigger on a XCL frame- fork recommendations?

Well, after MUCH debate over new versus used, 575, XCL, ETSX, El Santo, Salt, and too many more to recall, I just now ordered a Grey anno frameset with the RP23 (vs. DHX option) from bitterbrushcycles.com.

Anyway, now comes the component decisions. I'm going to pull off as many components from my other bike such as X.9 rear derailleur and front XTR if it fits, 9.0 twist grip, cassette, Stylo Team cranks, My initial fork thoughts are a 32 Vanilla R, XC 600, and Pike, but I'm just not sure.

Incidentally (and I'm not associated with bitterbrushcycles), they had the frameset on sale plus a 15% discount, so it required NO THOUGHT. I just hope all goes well and they deliver.

mtbr member
    I have some revelations. Good fork. Cheaper than the fox stuff. However, If I were to do it again. I would get 20mm and go with the pike. I do feel some flex in the revelation on really steep stuff. I do weigh in at 240 with gear though.
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'd go with a Pike 454 Dual air U-turn fork. Thats what I have on mine and it is a perfect fit for the XCL. You will need an e-type front derailleur for the XCL.

I'm living the dream!
    +2 for the Pike. I have the coil but either would be a great choice. Sram grips will work with an XTR front mech but like Thor said, it has to be an E-Type. Congrats on the deal!

mtbr member
    Pike is the clear winner as its the only option listed with 20mm axle. It happens to also be a really nice fork. Perfect for the XCL.

mtbr member
    + whatever on the pike. Love that fork..

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The fork really depends on your riding style. My XCL is used for mostly cross country type riding with an occasional jump. I am 41 years old with two small children, I don't get nearly as big of air as the old days. (I have broken enough parts to build two bikes.) I just built up an XCL in April and choose the 2008 Fox Talas RLC in 32mm. It has plenty of adjustment. I really don't need the travel adjust, as I feel it climbs great at 140mm. I choose the standard quick release, mostly to be easier to transport an the fork mount. The standard quick release is also a bit lighter. My build up of a medium with RP23 rear shock, came out to be 32 LBS. That is with mostly the stock Chumba build kit except coustom wheels,Kevlar bead tires, Chris King headset and Thomson post. It feels like a 26 pound bike. The front end lifts easier than my old Giant NRS1. I love the Fox Talas, I have the same fork on my Santa Cruz Blur 4X. I keep it at 100mm most of the time. At 3.9 lbs. it is a bit lighter than the others.
    Ride Fast Take Chances

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I vote Pike! Only thing that I've noticed is that the paint on the lowers had worn off from hanging the bike over the truck tailgate.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    ditto, Pike dual AIR

shred my gnar
    ive got a talas 32 rlc and love the thing more than my wife. for '08 i believe they added an option for a 15mm qr as well. pricey, but worth every penny, imo.

ive beat the hell out of that fork and it just keeps chuggin along...

mtbr member
    I love my Lyric U-Turn coil on the XCL, but I would probably vote for the Pike to save some weight. The Lyric just feels great at any length.

Members who have read this thread: 0