Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Jones by Jeff Jones

Time to have a Jones thread for all Jones made by Jeff Jones

Last edited by NZPeterG; 03-25-2016 at 11:54 PM.

mtbr member

My Jones Plus 24"
    I have also ordered a Jones Diamond unicrown frameset that is on it's way to me

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

That makes me smart
    Good news, I have been jonesin' for a Jones thread. Gotta keep up with the Jones, you know.

Jones, Jones, Jones.
    Wanted: Cheapo pair of flat pedals. Bigger the better.

Hogan trails from space!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    NZPeterG, did you ride in the Tour Aotearoa? How did your Jones plus perform?
    Are there any write ups on it?

mtbr member
    My 25" Plus. Plus sized Plus?

Sorry for the small pictures. I can't seem to link through Picasa anymore, as Google goes out of their way to be annoying.
    Last edited by seat_boy; 03-20-2016 at 04:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Nice! I've been looking at other 29+ bikes but none of them get me going the way the Jones does.

weekend warrior
    Nice indeed! I volunteer to post the first Spaceframe.

Enjoy!!
    Common sense was never common

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Jones (Jeff Jones)-17789069100_a760f2d0d3_k.jpg
    Jones 675er - Jones 26er with 27.5 x 2.8 WTB tyre up front.
    10 years old this year and still going strong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phil_rad View Post
    NZPeterG, did you ride in the Tour Aotearoa? How did your Jones plus perform?
    Are there any write ups on it?
    Hi Phil
    I was to ride in Tour Aotearoa but got ill a month out!
    How would my Jones Plus go?
    Great offroad but with a 1000kms of Tarseal is would be slow.
    This is why I have ordered a 2nd Jones Diamond unicrown frameset for Bikepacking events with move faster parts.
    Any Jones is great

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    anybody tried running a Panaracer Fat b nimble in the back of a Diamond frame Jones? I know I've seen them fit in other 29ers like Karate Monkeys. I'd like to throw one on back for some more cush along with my 29+ front.
    Beargrease NX1
    Titanium Warbird
    Nature Boy Disc
    Jones Diamond Frame/truss fork

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edved37 View Post
    anybody tried running a Panaracer Fat b nimble in the back of a Diamond frame Jones? I know I've seen them fit in other 29ers like Karate Monkeys. I'd like to throw one on back for some more cush along with my 29+ front.
    Hi are you asking about 29 or 650b plus?

Kiwi Pete from the Singletrack

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    My Mones almost 10 years old and still going strong..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jones (Jeff Jones)-image.jpg  

Ridin ridin ridin..... raw ti!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NZPeterG View Post
    Hi are you asking about 29 or 650b plus?

Sorry I was wondering about a the 29+ fitting in the back of my 29er frame with rabbit holes.
    Beargrease NX1
    Titanium Warbird
    Nature Boy Disc
    Jones Diamond Frame/truss fork

mtbr member
    Sorry I was wondering about a the 29+ fitting in the back of my 29er frame with rabbit holes.
    Hi
    Jeff lists the Jones Diamond with room for a 2.55" 29er.
    So I think not, but I do know of a few people who have been riding with a 650b plus rear tyre (3.00x 650b) and a few with a matching 650b plus front.
    But a the front you can run a 29er Plus or a 26" X 4.? Fat bike tyres.
    Phone up Jeff or his staff about it.
    Jeff was very helpful to me.
    In a few weeks I can always try it out when my 2nd Jones (a diamond) comes in the post.

weekend warrior
    Hi
    I do know of a few people who have been riding with a 650b plus rear tyre (3.00x 650b) and a few with a matching 650b plus front.Kiwi Pete from the Singletrack
    I would be interested in ride reports of the 650b plus equiped spaceframes. I can see it working very well, but how are they for ground clearance?

On my fat front steel spaceframe Jones I have pedal strikes more often than any other bike I ride. I could compensate with the EBB but I am already at the limit of a true 42cm seatpost.

Enjoy!!

mtbr member
    Im running a 26x4 front and a 27.5x3 dirt wizard in the rear on a 50mm mulefoot. I had to trim the side knobs about an 1/8th inch. This is on a steel space frame. Bottom bracket is a little lower than I would like but ill live with it. Ive had this bike for a few years now and this is the best set up ive had yet, Ill try to post a pic later if I can figure out how.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    What has been the long-term durability of the truss-style fabricated fork assembly by Jeff?
    me: Mark -- where: formerly Milton, WA and now Gilbert, AZ -- fun: Bikepacking and long distance touring

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
    What has been the long-term durability of the truss-style fabricated fork assembly by Jeff?
    Joops (post #12) has almost 10 yrs on his.

mtbr member
    Well my 2nd Jones is in New Zealand.
    I have ordered most of the groupset for it.
    Have rear wheel waiting, have front rim but waiting on a Son28 135mm dymo hub.
    Have a box of small parts waiting.
    The groupset is Shimano XT M8000 3x11 speed yes that's 33 gears

mtbr member
    Well my new 2nd Jones is here and I have started by coating the inside of the tubing with some Tectyl 506 (wax/oil rustprevention)
    Waiting on some parts still

Looking forward to riding her.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I'm going to be pulling the trigger on one of the 148TA Pluses shortly but the sizing has really been an issue for me. The standover on the 24" Diamond Plus is 31.5", which would be nut-crushingly tight for me, but the standover on the 23" Spaceframe Plus drops to 26.5", which seems sort of low. I'm a shade over 5'8", and the ideal standover height for me would be around 29". I'm not so concerned about reach as that is adjustable to a degree, but I'm having trouble deciding on which way to go with regard to standover. Any thoughts from the current riders?

(Sadly, a test ride is not an option for me, closest dealer is a few hundred miles away.)

mtbr member
    Hi I'm 5'7" tall and have short legs for my height.
    I have a Jones Plus 24" and the standover where I stand over my Jones is 30.5"
    The 31.5" is at the midpoint of the toptube.
    Any more questions just ask away, or phone Jeff as he is very very helpful.
    All the best

mtbr member
    Due to the design, the Space frame will have much lower standover height than a comparably sized regular diamond frame. Don't worry about it being too low.

Quote Originally Posted by MrkT View Post
    I'm going to be pulling the trigger on one of the 148TA Pluses shortly but the sizing has really been an issue for me. The standover on the 24" Diamond Plus is 31.5", which would be nut-crushingly tight for me, but the standover on the 23" Spaceframe Plus drops to 26.5", which seems sort of low. I'm a shade over 5'8", and the ideal standover height for me would be around 29". I'm not so concerned about reach as that is adjustable to a degree, but I'm having trouble deciding on which way to go with regard to standover. Any thoughts from the current riders?

(Sadly, a test ride is not an option for me, closest dealer is a few hundred miles away.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    Due to the design, the Space frame will have much lower standover height than a comparably sized regular diamond frame. Don't worry about it being too low.
    ^^ Agreed. This is kind of the whole point of the space frame. (Or half of it at least, if you're talking titanium and the extra vertical compliance that those give you.) Think of it like a mixte.

I'm just shy of 6'-2", have the space frame 29, and chose it over the diamond frame mostly for the extra clearance. Even if you don't "need" it, clearance is a great thing to have and will make you ride more confidently and worry less. I find myself pushing the edge and trying to ride things that I otherwise wouldn't on another bike, when I knew there was a good chance of having to choose between ditching the bike onto rocks or smacking my nuts if I didn't make it.

At 5'-8", I can't imagine why the 23" spaceframe Plus wouldn't fit you perfectly, and I can't imagine picking a diamond frame when the space frame is an option. You're lucky! I don't know if a 24" or 25" spaceframe version of the plus is in the cards, but that's what I'm holding out for.
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

mtbr member
    What year is your frame? I think Jeff increased the clearance in late 2013 or early 2014, right?

I can't speak to the diamond frame directly but, assuming the chainstays have the tightest clearance, and assuming they are the same as the chainstays on my spaceframe, then it might just work.

I switched from a 2.4 ardent to the 29+ fat b nimble last summer, and it works GREAT! I'll never go back. (I posted some pictures in the fat b nimble thread and one of the main Jones threads.)

It might be too tight on a rabbit hole rim, but it works well on my dually rim. Not "huge" clearance, but perfectly adequate for a hack like me - about 4 1/2 to 5mm clearance at 15 psi. Like all manufactures, Jeff's rating is probably pretty conservative. I think they are required to specify max tire sizes based on 7mm clearance, and using max rated tire pressure - which is silly because you'd never actually run a 3" tire at 35 psi. (FBN is really more like a 2.8 or so)

The only problem with this setup is that the diameter gets so big, that it becomes difficult to match with a good fat front tire. I'm now using a 26x4.8 knard which is the correct diameter, but has too much volume. Compared to a 4" or 4.5" tire, it starts to feel like I'm steering a damn fat bike instead of a precision, trail slicing jones. I think the forthcoming 27x4.5 trek/bontrager barbegazi is going to solve this problem though!

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Gonna go buy a lottery ticket today. The 148TA Titanium Jones Plus is now available for pre-order.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Anybody who's had both regular and Plus Jones care to elaborate on differences? Pretty tempted to sell mine for a Plus.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hi All,

I am very inclined to purchase a Plus version.

I am wondering if anyone has used regular non plus 29 tire on 50mm rims in their Plus frame for road or gravel touring. I am thinking of an application like Peter G's TourAotearoa but I can't afford two frames, however, I can probably manage two sets of tires ;-)

Has anyone here got any experience they can share?

mtbr member
    I really like the way my Plus does... everything... so I was excited when I bought some 2.3" Schwalbe Big One slicks for it, so I could ride on the road. Unfortunately, the combination of the WTB Scraper rim (45mm) and the relatively skinny tire moved the handling from faultless to pretty bad: a very choppy, uneven cornering feel. I think the rim was too wide for the tire, squaring off the sidewall too much. Put the 3" tire back on, and all was well.

If you're going to ride various tire sizes, I'd strongly suggest something like a 35mm rim instead. That works fine across a wide range of tire sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by wingoed View Post
    Hi All,

I am very inclined to purchase a Plus version.

I am wondering if anyone has used regular non plus 29 tire on 50mm rims in their Plus frame for road or gravel touring. I am thinking of an application like Peter G's TourAotearoa but I can't afford two frames, however, I can probably manage two sets of tires ;-)

Has anyone here got any experience they can share?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rollingout View Post
    Anybody who's had both regular and Plus Jones care to elaborate on differences? Pretty tempted to sell mine for a Plus.
    I haven't owned either, but I'm about two weeks away from getting Jeff started on a 24" Plus for me. This section from his website sums the differences up pretty well though:
    --------------------------------------
    The differences between the two types are: the Jones Plus is a long wheelbase frame and fork specifically designed to be used with 29x3” tires. It is long and stable, yet still nimble because the geometry has been tuned to make the most of the larger wheels; it’s a frameset that puts you much more “in” the bike because the wheels are farther out in front and behind you, and this is part of what makes it a peerless bikepacking bike. The Jones 29, on the other hand, is extremely nimble and playful. It has a short wheelbase that shines in the most technical situations and highlights the precise handling that a rigid bicycle can give when paired with great geometry. Unlike most short wheelbase bikes, the Jones 29 doesn’t feel harsh or unbalanced because it fits and rides like a Jones: it’s balanced, and you—the rider—are centered over the bottom bracket, which allows you to easily move over the front end when climbing, and back over the rear end when descending. The Jones 29 allows you to thread your way through the tightest rock gardens, where the Plus is the bike that just rolls over anything and everything. For those who see themselves spending most of their time riding gravel, doing all-day, all-terrain rides, or who just want a bike that’s calm and collected wherever it finds itself, the Jones Plus has the edge. For those who ride in rocky, log-strewn playgrounds where most of the time is spent hopping up and over rocks while navigating a switchback, the Jones 29 has the edge. The Jones 29 feels decidedly playful, while the Jones Plus feels calm and collected. Both love to go fast, and will leave you feeling fresh and ready for more!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    This post on the Jones blog also talks about the difference in riding feel between the Plus and standard bike (a ti spaceframe): Jones Bikes ? A ride in the woods

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    As I get ever closer to dropping--what would be for me--an obscene pile of cash on a steel Jones Plus, I keep getting more and more nervous about size. At 5'8" a comfortable standover height for me is about 28 or 29". The standover on the 24" Plus is 31-1/2"; the 23" is 26-1/2". I'm tempted to give up the huge framebag of the 24" for the more comfortable standover, but then the reach on the 23" Spaceframe version seems like it would be too short. So I guess my dilemna is: 24" Diamond frame with uncomfortable standover or 23" Spaceframe with overly generous standover and short reach (maybe a setback seat post would fix the reach issue)?

Unfortunately, there aren't any Jones dealers near me. I'll be "buying blind" based on a lot of guesswork. :/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrkT View Post
    As I get ever closer to dropping--what would be for me--an obscene pile of cash on a steel Jones Plus, I keep getting more and more nervous about size. At 5'8" a comfortable standover height for me is about 28 or 29". The standover on the 24" Plus is 31-1/2"; the 23" is 26-1/2". I'm tempted to give up the huge framebag of the 24" for the more comfortable standover, but then the reach on the 23" Spaceframe version seems like it would be too short. So I guess my dilemna is: 24" Diamond frame with uncomfortable standover or 23" Spaceframe with overly generous standover and short reach (maybe a setback seat post would fix the reach issue)?

Unfortunately, there aren't any Jones dealers near me. I'll be "buying blind" based on a lot of guesswork. :/
    Without having ridden the plus, I can only assume that the experience/fit will be similar to that of the 29 and, if so, I'd say don't worry about reach at all. You simply can't try to rely on your experiences and biases from typical bikes, and expect them to inform how the Jones will fit. There are tons of stories in the main Jones threads, from tall guys like me who hemmed and hawed over the same reach/length worry for years on the 23" 29 bike, before finally jumping in, and for whom it works beautifully.

You will end up with MUCH more saddle setback than you're used to. Push it beyond what you think reasonable and, once you get used to it, anything else will feel wrong. You will have to stand to shift your weight forward, in order to climb. The bars will be closer and higher than you're used to (though less so for you than for an even taller person). But remember that this also brings your torso into a more upright position, which makes your shoulders retreat further to the rear of the bike, which increases the distance from the bars.

Jeff's videos and website do a much better job of explaining why the bike is designed to work this way than I ever could, though. I know that there are those who resist it and try to mimic the old xc/norba position they're used to, with low bars and steep effective seat tube angles, and yet still like the bike anyway - but I think they're missing the best part of the experience.

mtbr member
    I run a 23 spaceframe with a set back Thomson 410 and a 70mm stem with a wide bar and not much sweep. Im 5'11" with long arms. I don't notice the seat being to far back and with you being 5'8" don't thing you need a set back post at all. I know of a lot of guys well over 6' on 23" Jones. Honestly I don't get the plus frame geo at all. Touring bike paking maybe that's it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I think I'm just going to make the three-hour trek to the nearest dealer for the best fit. I'll be mostly commuting and doing weekly overnights on it for the next two years, but the real purpose for the bike will be a three-year tour beginning in May of 2018. I'm hoping the test rides will be next-level in terms of comfort.

Thanks for the suggestions.

mtbr member
    Well my second Jones is stick waiting for a Son 28 dynamo hub

🤕

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    I just gonna say this a walk away, but if Jeff would make a Space frame I could use a suspension fork on (preferably 120mm) I would very likely buy one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    I just gonna say this a walk away, but if Jeff would make a Space frame I could use a suspension fork on (preferably 120mm) I would very likely buy one.
    Hi so why would you look at a Jones Spaceframe if your looking to use a Suspension fork?

Jeff Jones bikes are so good because he makes his bikes ride the best it can with out.

Almost all bikes are make to run a Spring fork and Jeff is not into springs.

https://youtu.be/ytCndGtdZpg

Have fun out riding in the dirt

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Anyone interested in selling a Diamond frame and fork?

I've posted in the Classifieds, but figured I'd try here too. Can also trade a 29+ for a Jones.

Thanks.
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Those with a Plus: can you measure the wheelbase? Interested in the 24" but measurements for 25" would do as well. Can't seem to find it anywhere.

mtbr member
    Those with a Plus: can you measure the wheelbase? Interested in the 24" but measurements for 25" would do as well. Can't seem to find it anywhere.
    I think it is 47" on my 24" Plus.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I think it is 47" on my 24" Plus.

Thanks. Actually found it buried in the blog.

Jones Bikes ? Jones Plus ? This is it.

"24″ wheel base is 1175mm / 46.26″ and 25″ wheel base is 1205mm /47.44″

The Old Man
    Oct 2008

Your Jones Plus

Well my second Jones is stick waiting for a Son 28 dynamo hub

Hi Kiwi Pete,
    I hear you might be selling your Jones Plus? Is there a way I can get in contact with you? I have a friend who might be interested. I'm in the South Island and on a Jones Plus 25" and my friends have taken note of how much I rave about "The Jones" and my previous 29 steel SpaceFrame! I'm also very interested to know if your new red Jones 29 is/was intended to complement your Plus or replace it. I chose to replace my SpaceFrame with the Plus,and so far (after only two rides mind you) I am confident I made the right decision (for me).
    Thanks, Martin.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbudd View Post
    Hi Kiwi Pete,
    I hear you might be selling your Jones Plus? Is there a way I can get in contact with you? I have a friend who might be interested. I'm in the South Island and on a Jones Plus 25" and my friends have taken note of how much I rave about "The Jones" and my previous 29 steel SpaceFrame! I'm also very interested to know if your new red Jones 29 is/was intended to complement your Plus or replace it. I chose to replace my SpaceFrame with the Plus,and so far (after only two rides mind you) I am confident I made the right decision (for me).
    Thanks, Martin.
    Hi Martin
    I PM you with my details
    1st ride this afternoon on my new Jones

Pete

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

mtbr member
    A great review of a Jones Plus ☺

mtbr member

My new Jones Diamond set up with a new Shimano XT FD-M8000-H side swing front derailleur worked out great with a few single cable mounts thanks to Jeff Jones for having the two upper bolt mounts ☺
    The Side Swing front derailleur shifts so much better than an old model front derailleur.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    NZPeterG - Why the switch to a regular Jones from the Plus?

mtbr member
    NZPeterG - Why the switch to a regular Jones from the Plus?
    Hi Because it's faster

Still have my Plus too

Kiwi Pete

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hi Because it's faster

Still have my Plus too

Kiwi Pete
    What front wheel & tire do you run on your regular Jones? Tires/rims on plus?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Hi Because it's faster

Still have my Plus too

Kiwi Pete
    How does the unicrown feel after riding the truss fork?
    neg rep for contributing to thread deterioration and posting useless comment. - wadafuq.

www.fattiremassive.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TooSteep View Post
    What front wheel & tire do you run on your regular Jones? Tires/rims on plus?

Thanks!
    Hi
    My front wheel on my Jones 29er is
    WTB KOM 23i rim laced to a Son28 Dynamo hub with DT Swiss spokes

My Jones Plus is
    WTB SCRAPER rim laced to a Jones 142x15 hub with DT Swiss spokes

Tyres 29er is Vintage WTB 2.55LT x 29" to be replaced with a Maxxis Ikon 2.35 x 29" EXO TR.

Plus tyre are going to be a pair of Maxxis 3.00 x 29"

Kiwi Pete

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gulljammer View Post
    How does the unicrown feel after riding the truss fork?
    Hi
    My Jones 29er and my Jones Plus are not the same to start with!
    With the Truss fork it's stuff and great under very hard braking, great riding and the bike as a whole is the best 29+ made at this time!

With a Unicrown forked Jones I can run my Revelate Design SWEETROLL much closer to the front of the frame for better handling when Bikepacking

I also like the old standard of QR better..

Kiwi Pete

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Hoping for some first hand knowledge from the folks that own a steel spaceframe... Have a rear wheel with a rabbit hole rim and had trouble with a 2.4 tire rubbing the frame badly.

What are some of the set ups you all have? I'd like to run a 2.4. Thoughts about it fitting with a blunt 35 rim?

Thank you for the help!

The Old Man
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kansasbike View Post
    Hoping for some first hand knowledge from the folks that own a steel spaceframe... Have a rear wheel with a rabbit hole rim and had trouble with a 2.4 tire rubbing the frame badly.

What are some of the set ups you all have? I'd like to run a 2.4. Thoughts about it fitting with a blunt 35 rim?

Thank you for the help!
    Hi kansasbike,

I bought a Steel SpaceFrame in 2011 and I rode it for 5 years. I used 35mm P35/Blunts for 4 years then 50mm Rabbit Holes. The fattest tyre I got to fit comfortably into the rear stays on both rims was the Specialized Purgatory Control 29x2.4 and it was/is excellent. It had about 5mm clearance either side between the tyre and the stays.

To take the "fattest rear tyre" concept further, I have just replaced the SpaceFrame with a 25" Jones Plus. Both awesome bikes, but the Plus fits me better. At 191cm/6'3" I was always a little cramped on the SpaceFrame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kansasbike View Post

Thank you for the help!
    Might be good to know what year your frame is. I'm pretty sure Jeff talked about the rear clearance increasing somewhere around 2014, so the feedback you get here may or may not be valid based on that. On the other hand, it was primarily the seatstays that changed (got thinner) so, unless the chainstays were re-worked too, it might not matter, since those are probably the critical clearance point, even on the older ones (definitely the case on the newer steel frames and probably the case on all Ti frames) Maybe someone here knows.

On my later steel frame, I used the 49mm Velocity Dually rim (wider than the P35/blunt, but same design) with 2.4 ardents, and really liked the profile and lack of squirmyness at low pressure. This is/was the combination Jeff uses himself most often on full builds, and there are lots of pictures of it on his website or facebook page. However, I was getting rim strikes too often, so I switched to a 29x3 Panaracer Fat B Nimble, on the same rim. Being undersized (really about a 2.8) it fits fine and was a huge improvement. But it is about as big as you could go. There's no way the tire would fit on a Rabbit Hole. I don't think it would even work on Jeff's new rim, which seems to fall somewhere between the Dually and Rabbit Hole.

As for tires, it seems like some other 29+ tires are coming out too, that might be in this same "tweener" size range - bigger than traditional 2.4s, but not as maxed-out as the really big plus sizes, and that's a great thing for MANY "non-plus" bikes - not just the Spaceframe.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hi
    My Jones 29er and my Jones Plus are not the same to start with!
    With the Truss fork it's stuff and great under very hard braking, great riding and the bike as a whole is the best 29+ made at this time!

With a Unicrown forked Jones I can run my Revelate Design SWEETROLL much closer to the front of the frame for better handling when Bikepacking

I also like the old standard of QR better..

Kiwi Pete
    Any specific reason you went with a derailleur on this bike vs. the Rohloff on your Plus?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fyrmd View Post
    Any specific reason you went with a derailleur on this bike vs. the Rohloff on your Plus?
    Hi
    Yes more gear range! Always found the a Rohloff gearhub gear ratio range was to little for me with only 520%.
    I like the Shimano XT 3×11

Lighter too

Ride Everything
    I've got a demo/loaner diamond/truss 29er coming and I'm really looking forward to seeing how it handles mixed-terrain rides. Photos to follow (when it arrives).
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAVELBIKE View Post
    I've got a demo/loaner diamond/truss 29er coming and I'm really looking forward to seeing how it handles mixed-terrain rides. Photos to follow (when it arrives).
    I just put a pair of 700x40c's on my Spaceframe for similar rides. Really suprised how smooth it still is offroad and so much quicker on. I wont be heading for the rooty singletrack any time soon though, its not THAT smooth

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by martin_uk View Post
    I just put a pair of 700x40c's on my Spaceframe for similar rides. Really suprised how smooth it still is offroad and so much quicker on. I wont be heading for the rooty singletrack any time soon though, its not THAT smooth
    Jeff spec'd Schwalbe Super Moto 2.35" tires for this bike, so it should be pretty capable on the trails that aren't too rocky.

Ride Everything
    Fresh out of the box:

Jones (Jeff Jones)-13597594_640067956141204_852811158_n.jpg

mtbr member
    How wide are the rims on there? I tried riding with a 2.3" Schwalbe Big One on my WTB Scraper, and really didn't like the way it handled--I think the tire was too squared off. I'm wondering what rim Jeff spec'd for you.

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    How wide are the rims on there? I tried riding with a 2.3" Schwalbe Big One on my WTB Scraper, and really didn't like the way it handled--I think the tire was too squared off. I'm wondering what rim Jeff spec'd for you.
    Easton ARC+ 45.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    How do people find the sizing on the space frame. Looking at a potential steel space frame build but at 6ft i'm slightly worried about sizing. Any other 6 footers out there that can tell me what stem / seatpost they are riding

Also can you get over the back. I'm so used to running a dropper now but think i will need to run a layback

Also how does the Jones ride in steep technical / rocky terrain?

Cheer guys

Oli

weekend warrior
    search is your friend, all your queries have been discussed in this and other threads.

FWIW I am 6'2" and I am fine with a layback post, 90mm stem and a Jones H-bar. Imho the Jones bar is an integral part of the concept. The bike was made for technical riding, read up on the Jones website, but being from Holland others here are more qualified to comment.

Jeff shows dropper posts on his prioducts regularly

Jones (Jeff Jones)-23plus45dssm.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenz43 View Post
    search is your friend, all your queries have been discussed in this and other threads.
    ^^ Yes, this. Anyone with such questions should take time to read through these two, at least, even though they're older now:

Jones Steel Spaceframe

"Tai"-Jones

For what it's worth, one of the things you'll learn from these discussions is the fact that the 29 spaceframe was originally designed to fit Jeff himself, who happens to be 6' tall. The design works really well for anyone a couple of inches shorter or taller than that, while everybody else has to make minor compromises.

(For instance, a taller person may need a longer stem than ideal, which would make the steering feel a tiny bit slower. A shorter person will end up with a steeper effective seat tube angle, which will affect weight distribution relative to the rear wheel, perhaps making the front end feel heavier.)

Compared to a bike designed for a traditional, stretched-out XC type fit though, those compromises are much smaller. The more upright riding position, which is arguably more correct anyway and definitely the way this bike is intended to be used, means that the relationship between a rider's height and the top tube length is not nearly as critical.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Can someone with a diamond frame measure the straight-line distance from the center of the bottom bracket to the very top of the seat tube? I'm doing a BikeCad rendering to get an idea on how a Jones Diamond frame would fit me.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Hi
    Phone Jeff and he'll set one up to your sizing and sent you photo's of it set up for you.
    Jeff is so helpful to talk too.

I'm 1.72 metres tall and love my Jones Diamond

I just sold my Jones Plus as for me it was just too big (handlebars too high) plus the Plus tyres are great on the dirt but for me too slow on the tarseal.

Phone Jeff Jones

All the best time for me to go ride my Jones

Kiwi Pete

Part time Mountain Unicyclist

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Does anyone know where to get a geometry chart for a Jones? In particular the 23" spaceframe?

What I really need are seat- tube height and stack due to my personal fit issues. If I get a Jones frameset, it won't be for a couple of years. I need to plan how much to spend.
    2015 Surly Krampus SS
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    This image from the old jonesbikes.com website (not sure if it is somewhere on the current one) is the closest I've seen to a geo chart for the standard Jones:

Jones (Jeff Jones)-jones-geo.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by david.p View Post
    This image from the old jonesbikes.com website (not sure if it is somewhere on the current one) is the closest I've seen to a geo chart for the standard Jones:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jones-geo.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	226.7 KB 
ID:	1088841
    vv

Thank you, that really helps!
    2015 Surly Krampus SS
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

I've been looking for a solution to carry more water/stuff on the truss fork. Looks like I'll be problem-free soon!

Truss fork Pack - Jones Bikes

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hi guys, thinking of getting a Spaceframe 29 frameset, was wondering if I could just use my current rear wheel from my El Mariachi. I have a Hope 2 Pro Evo on the rear 135 QR. Will this work? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hmm - i just posted question about fit on the Jones Plus. I have a jones Plus 148TA 24 on the way as we speak and am now stressing a bit about fit. My road bike only has a ETT length of 22-23". I'm about 5'-9"- 5'-10"

How is the reach for you. Stem length? My stand over on my road bike is about 32" so not as concerned with that. Maybe a little more would be good but sounds Ok. Mostly thinking about reach.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    I've been looking for a solution to carry more water/stuff on the truss fork. Looks like I'll be problem-free soon!

Truss fork Pack - Jones Bikes
    3 Jones Loop H-Bar Bags - Bikepacker

https://fat-bike.com/2015/05/barfly-...anana-hammock/

Quote Originally Posted by DoLB View Post
    Hi guys, thinking of getting a Spaceframe 29 frameset, was wondering if I could just use my current rear wheel from my El Mariachi. I have a Hope 2 Pro Evo on the rear 135 QR. Will this work? Thanks!
    If you're talking about the regular Spaceframe (non-Plus), then it will work. It's just a regular 29er 135mm QR.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bromley View Post
    Hmm - i just posted question about fit on the Jones Plus. I have a jones Plus 148TA 24 on the way as we speak and am now stressing a bit about fit. My road bike only has a ETT length of 22-23". I'm about 5'-9"- 5'-10"

How is the reach for you. Stem length? My stand over on my road bike is about 32" so not as concerned with that. Maybe a little more would be good but sounds Ok. Mostly thinking about reach.

Thanks!
    Don't worry about it. Jones frames have a pretty high stack height, and plus if you use a Loop bar, reach won't be a problem. You'll be just fine on the 24.

Yeah, I've seen those already. Problem with those type of bags is, they eliminate the middle hand positions. You could probably loosen the straps enough to make it work, though. It would be a nice supplement to the truss bags.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    thanks a bunch!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for your encouragement! I'm a worrier by habit so nice to hear!

It's shipping this week - last minute jitters I guess.

Thank you!

Mark

mtbr member
    If you're talking about the regular Spaceframe (non-Plus), then it will work. It's just a regular 29er 135mm QR.

Don't worry about it. Jones frames have a pretty high stack height, and plus if you use a Loop bar, reach won't be a problem. You'll be just fine on the 24.

Yeah, I've seen those already. Problem with those type of bags is, they eliminate the middle hand positions. You could probably loosen the straps enough to make it work, though. It would be a nice supplement to the truss bags.
    Hi this is miss leading!

The none Plus Spaceframe are:
    Steel 135mm QR
    Ti 142mm TA

Spaceframe Plus
    Steel 148mm TA

All the best

Kiwi Pete out Bikepacking somewhere ☺

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bromley View Post

Thanks!
    Hi it's going to be a great fit.
    I'm 1.71m tall and the 24" Jones Plus was just to big for me.
    I had one for a year and now sold it.
    If I was to buy a new Jones Plus it would be ordering a 23" Plus Spaceframe.
    But the riding I do a standard 29er is better because on my rides I have 80kms of Singletracks then 50km (+) of tarseal before 60kms of Singletracks again.
    I found out that the 29+ is to slow for me on the tarseal.
    My next planned Jones is a Spaceframe Ti 29er to go with my Jones Diamond Bikepacking adventure bike

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks very much!

I'm excited to get it.

I'll check in after I get a chance to ride it!

Best,

Mark

Hi this is miss leading!

The none Plus Spaceframe are:
    Steel 135mm QR
    Ti 142mm TA

Spaceframe Plus
    Steel 148mm TA

All the best

Thanks for clearing that up. Didn't know Ti SF went to 142mm. But since the guy's using Hope hubs, conversion caps are available, if he's planning on going Ti.

mtbr member
    Thanks for clearing that up. Didn't know Ti SF went to 142mm. But since the guy's using Hope hubs, conversion caps are available, if he's planning on going Ti.
    Yes
    with a Hope hub 135mm QR and 142mm TA are straight forward.

148mm TA is a new hub to take the advance of a stronger wheel.

Have a good day
    I'm off to work

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hi guys, just got my spaceframe and started the build, was wondering about the headset spacers. I have the truss fork and the jones headset for it, just that there's a bit of a gap between the cone and the cup with a 5mm spacer below and a 5mm spacer up top. Is this due to a lack of spacers?

I had to pull up the top part of the fork to squeeze that spacer in, and the spacer sits snugly. But there is a bit of a gap between the cone and cup on both top and bottom.

Is this normal? I haven't installed the starnut yet though, still need to check where I want my stem once my front wheel is done. Will the top bolt compress that gap? Or is the star nut even necessary given we already have a top truss clamp?

Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Hi guys, just got my spaceframe and started the build, was wondering about the headset spacers. I have the truss fork and the jones headset for it, just that there's a bit of a gap between the cone and the cup with a 5mm spacer below and a 5mm spacer up top. Is this due to a lack of spacers?

I had to pull up the top part of the fork to squeeze that spacer in, and the spacer sits snugly. But there is a bit of a gap between the cone and cup on both top and bottom.

Is this normal? I haven't installed the starnut yet though, still need to check where I want my stem once my front wheel is done. Will the top bolt compress that gap? Or is the star nut even necessary given we already have a top truss clamp?

Thanks guys!
    You'll need these micro-shims:

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=21855

Dont use it the way you forced the larger spacer in, because the faces won't be parallel. (Your "gap" is wedge shaped)

Congrats on the new bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by iamkeith View Post
    You'll need these micro-shims:

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=21855

Dont use it the way you forced the larger spacer in, because the faces won't be parallel. (Your "gap" is wedge shaped)

Congrats on the new bike.
    Cool, thank you very much!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    The headset was fine, just needed to put in a bigger spacer in between clamps. Thanks guys.

Currently running a Chronicle up front and an Ikon+ in the rear.

The geo is amazing, I haven't been riding for around 3 weeks before I got the bike and I was able to easily clear climbs that I plain just couldn't before. It's like it's less tiring, and the sort.

Don't mind the non drive side, the pic was for showing the bell lol.

I kinda wish I got the diamond and the unicrown fork just so it would be super stealthy.

Currently running a ton of spacers above the top clamp to keep the handlebars above saddle level. I'm in between 5'6 and 5'7 but I like this position because of my back.

Jones (Jeff Jones)-pqfchpfwwx-otizgyiyrsb3lzuqly8knqgdgs47jf9y.jpg

mtbr member
    Nah, you did right - the unicrown is the boring fork

Seriously, the truss fork and its integration and synergy with the rest of the bike is a standout feature of the Jones experience

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks, will probably be the one bike for me.

My brother is interested in getting a Jones as well after he took my bike out. But now he's torn between a Jones or a Stooge (he was gonna get one but ran out of units, so he's waiting for the MK3).

I kinda want him to get a Stooge though so I can try how it feels, though might be hard getting it shipped to Asia.

mtbr member
    The Stooge is great bike, especially considering the price - I owned one for 18 months, but was too small for me

I bought a 25" Jones Plus to give perspective and it's probably one of the first bikes of many I've owned over the years that fits

I'm considering buying a Mk3 Stooge to run 27.5+ as I wouldn't like to run that size on the Jones

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Good to hear, I'll let my brother know.

But yeah, loving this bike.

mtbr member
    What wheel size are you running? 29 or 27.5 front ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    29x3 up front, 27.5x2.8 rear

mtbr member
    Ive been thinking about that. Right now Im running a dirt wizard 27.5 x3.0 rear and a 26x4.0 nate in front . I did trim the rear side knobs just a bit. Im kinda worried about toe overlap on the front wheel. I have the same frame but with a unicrown fork.

weekend warrior
    29x3 up front, 27.5x2.8 rear
    Inreasing the rolling diameter of the front wheel whilst reducing it in the rear.
    Doesn't that upset the carefully crafted characteristics of the Spaceframe?

I have a 29x2.4 in the back and a 26x4 fat front in my steel Spaceframe. My wheelman is buiding me a 29" front wheel. I want to try it with a matched front wheels and feel what it does to the ride and handling.

Enjoy!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Well possibly; the higher front end means I have to lean forward more when standing on climbs for really steep climbs, but not really a problem.

I ran 650b+ 2.8 ikons. I love the ikons but it lowered the bb a bit much, there's a ton of rocky sections here.

I then ran my old 2.25 ardent up front and crossmark rear (will probably try 2.35 ikons one of these days) and it was zippy but I liked the traction of the b+ rear. Though these were on 28mm rims, not the rabbit hole I have now.

So went 29+ up front, and it's been great so far. Higher front also makes it easier for me to pop the front up when needed, but as mentioned, just need to lean a bit more forward on climbs than when I did on the other two pairs of wheels.

But basically this will most likely be my one bike for a number of years. I've started selling off old bikes, and will just stock wheelsets now for what I plan to ride.

Oh and will this work as a front hub?

Novatec FAT BIKE Front Hub 135mm Length OLD QR/12mm/15mm Axle 6-Bolt Disc 32H | eBay

I know the hope 4 fat front hub works as I've seen a pic of that, but which novatech one would I need? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Well I had a blue Jones Plus 24" which I liked a lot but sold it because it was just to big for me.
    So then I build up a Jones Diamond 23" and this is almost my size ( it's working for me)

But with the all new Jones 23" Spaceframe Plus at last Jeff has made a smaller Jones (that's Jones sizing) if you look up about rider sizing it's all me at 1.71m tall. So I have started planning.

My Jones Diamond is all setup for a upcoming Bikepacking adventure/event next month.
    Kiwi Brevet 2017.

Planning to post a few photos from the road/tracks

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I just picked up a Jones Plus yesterday. It seems like it's going to be a perfect bike for my upcoming Great Divide ride.

Will someone please post close up pictures of their handlebar bag setup. I have only messed with the bag for a minute but it doesn't seem like there will be very much room for the roll bag between the fork and bars. Any tips or suggestions on best way to mount would be great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast