Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Gulpttub

Indy Fab (merged thread)

I'm on the fence about buying a gently used IF Steel Delux. I know it was pampered or not riden much, but I need to see some of your IF photos to convince me to pull the trigger. I would probably set it up with a Fox F80X. Suggestions or comments are much appreciated.

bonked
    I love mine, as you might be able to tell by my screen name. I have the 52nd frame ever built by Independent Fabrication and will probably never sell it. The frame was custom painted, but the color selection was screwed up in the translation (PPG versus Sikkens color charts). I have never had it repainted as I want to keep it as it left the factory, though I used to chide Steve Elms about the mix up.

Very nice ride, very strong frame (originally they were all Tru Temper, no Reynolds).

I'll post a picture or two of how it was originally built after I scan a couple pictures. It was not supposed to look as Rasta as it does.

Moderator Moderator

OK - if pictures is all you need....

Quote Originally Posted by Wooban
    I need to see some of your IF photos to convince me to pull the trigger.

I can help you out if that's all the convincing you need....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

artistic...

was that a cx bike or..

Quote Originally Posted by 2melow
    I can help you out if that's all the convincing you need....
    a 29 deluxe?

Moderator Moderator

Yup...custom 29"er deluxe-the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    a 29 deluxe?
    Yup, I had IF build this for me about 2 1/2 years ago. This is the first one they ever built with IF decals on it. They did make one for Shimano for their "adventure bike" booth the previous year but that was debadged and stealth mode.

The color is Silver Prismatic (a blend of three ppg colors) and I had Tyler make me a custom 29"er disk fork to match. This bike is truly unbelievable and rides oh so nice. Currently set up w/ drops and 1x9 - it is so versatile and is truly a do everything bike.

Gulpttub

More...I want to see more

2melow, those are some sweet looking bikes. I've heard that IF's customer support is stellar. Any truth to that in your experience? Also, what kind of warranty do they give and does it transfer to a 2nd owner? I couldn't find any info on their website about it.

Thanks for posting the pics.

try driving your car less

mmm... IF

I'm on the fence about buying a gently used IF Steel Delux. I know it was pampered or not riden much, but I need to see some of your IF photos to convince me to pull the trigger. I would probably set it up with a Fox F80X. Suggestions or comments are much appreciated.
    A lot of IFs here in Mass., including some regular riding buddies. Super nice. If you can get a deal on it, go for it. Just make sure it fits. I visited their workshop, and I would expect excellent customer service.
    I hope to purchase one some day... as in the day I finish my PhD.
    Only boring people get bored.

Moderator Moderator

Warrany info...

2melow, those are some sweet looking bikes. I've heard that IF's customer support is stellar. Any truth to that in your experience? Also, what kind of warranty do they give and does it transfer to a 2nd owner? I couldn't find any info on their website about it.

Thanks for posting the pics.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yo - I'm not sure about the warranty. I would call them up directly and ask for Matt Bracken. Matt is one of the coolest guys in the bike industry and will treat you right.
    Typically a warranty is good for the first owner - but I can say they have trated me right and that must be saying something - especailly since we own three of their frames and I am trying to convince my wife I need a 4th (an independence built up for commuting.)

Check out ebay regularly. I've seen some used deluxe's that have chipped paint sell for as little as $250. That is a steal for one of these fine frames. I've been tempted to buy one, strip it, and have Lloyd @ IF put on a fresh coat of paint. The only problem is i'm so hooked on the 29" wheels and find it hard going back to regular wheels.

Again, if you have any questions give matt b. or tyler e. a call. They will treat you right and answer all your questions.

Here are a couple more of my wife's custom IF for your drooling pleasure...

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

My current Indy

Another on it';s way.... woohooo

mtbr member

IF in SF

I got a used IF Delixe Single Speed. It's been great by me and I really enjoy it now that I have it setup with Dirtdrops. I have a Duke XC on it right now but might switch it back to the ridgid at some point in time.
    I must say that this is the best handling bike I've ever owned. I have ridden nice bikes in the past but nothing felt as balenced as this.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

my new IF

i say do it

old guy
    Jan 2004
    I don't think you can get any better in terms of a hand built steel or ti frame.
    I have a ti crown jewel road bike and I love it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Sold mine, stupidiest thing ever..

I bought a deluxe in '99. I sold it about 3 years ago in a moment of weakness. I have had alot of bikes and this was hands down my favorite bike of all time. I'm thinking about another one,29" single speed. Their customer service was secound to none, and I don't even have to talk about their paint jobs. Bonus:Lloyd,one of the owners, used to work at the shop in Mississippi I worked at,but left to work at Fat Chance long before I started.

mtbr member
    No good standalone pics of mine right now, but it's on the far left in case you can't guess

Bought it in '97, has been a stellar bike ever since.

mtbr member

There are some makers that just don't make bad bikes...

and I-Fab is one of them. A steel frame from them is a lifetime frame just like one from Strong Frames, DeKerf, Waterford, Davidson, etc.

Unless you get the wrong size, there is no way you will regret this purchase. Even after getting my fully, I kept the Strong and keep riding it on a regular basis. Sometimes it just feels like a hardtail day!

Buy it before the guy changes his mind!

I'll be along... eventually.

Gulpttub

Thanks, but I still want to see more!!!

Everyone, thanks for posting pics of your beautiful machines.

I am going to get the IF once the ol' tax return gets directly deposited. Should be next week.

Anybody have pics of a baby blue IF? That's the color of it.

I'll post pics as soon as I can, but for now I'll just look at yours.

Keep em' coming.

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Check out their website if you haven't already. They've got a bunch of colors and pics on there.

I went the used route to get my Deluxe. There are some pretty good values out there. I love it, but will likely sell mine soon (and will then deeply regret it). I've got three mtb's (an FS, an IF HT and an SS), a road and now an Ibis cross (Lugi!) on the way. The Ibis and the IF are the most similar, so the IF will likely go. Someday I'll upgrade the SS to an IF though. Would love to have both an IF and Ibis under the same roof. East coast, west coast! S

try driving your car less

nice colors

Quote Originally Posted by lastminutebastrd
    No good standalone pics of mine right now, but it's on the far left in case you can't guess

Bought it in '97, has been a stellar bike ever since.
    see alot of IFs here, most with fancy paint jobs. some work, some dont. but I absolutely dig the red gold and green you got going with that fork. only trouble is getting another green fork if that one goes south. but i also have a marzocchi of that era that is still ticking nicely...
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I LOVE my Indy!

I don't have any good pics of mine. It's an mtb from '01 and has a Purple on top/Red on bottom fade with a red Bomber in front. There's nothing like riding a bike that's built for you, especially a steel bike. Imagine the nicest ride you've ever had, then multiply it times 10. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change much, except maybe get those King hubs this time...

Fat Boy Deluxe

New question here. Not sure they offer this?

Not sure if they even offer this, but I haven't seen a pic of one so I thought I would ask. Does anyone have an IF singlespeed with an EBB instead of horizontal drops? If not, any of you have an IF singlespeed running disc brakes front and rear?

DT

Heavy Metal
    Feb 2004
    Does anyone know the approximate price on a new Ti Deluxe? I like the looks of them, and I'm considering dropping the money for a 'lifetime' frame.

I'd love to see some pics of Ti Deluxe bikes, too.

tachyon

Bikes not Bombs.....

Ti, Indy Fab, SS, EBB, with front and rear disc.....

Quote Originally Posted by DmofoT
    Not sure if they even offer this, but I haven't seen a pic of one so I thought I would ask. Does anyone have an IF singlespeed with an EBB instead of horizontal drops? If not, any of you have an IF singlespeed running disc brakes front and rear?

DT

That would be a Phil Wood Piss OFF.

JS
    [SIZE=2]Thanks to all of you for your friendships on this board..... [/SIZE] -

mtbr member
    I've got two and could not be any happier, bought them both off ebay. IF Deluxe frame for 500.00, built it up with parts from my 02 stumpjumper. I can not believe the difference between the stumpy and deluxe. The stumpjumer had me bouncing around the trail like I was using a jackhammer but the IF is soooo smooth, like butta on the same trail...I got the Crown Jewel off Ebay last year year for like 1100.00. If you can find something that fits I say go for it, you will not be disapointed...

Fat Boy Deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Jerry
    That would be a Phil Wood Piss OFF.

JS

HA! Yea, I only wish I could get one of those. I saw the amzing pics of yours with that sick paint job. Now what would it be if we replaced Ti with Steel...

DT

Gulpttub

I got it and it's sweet!!!!

Thanks to everybody for convincing me to buy the IF. I finished building it up last night and will post pics soon. Here's the specs:

2000 IF Deluxe 16"
    Fox F80x
    XT drivetrain & shifters
    Avid SD Ti levers
    Avid SD 7 brakes
    Specialized carbon flat bar
    Bontrager stem
    Rolf Dolomite wheels
    yada...yada...yada...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast