mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Horstlink dropout bolt..............

Here one I haven't heard yet.......My XCL's horstlink dropout bolt on the drive side keeps backing out. I put blue locktight on it and it did work for a short time but now is starting to back out again. Has anyone else run into this problem? I'm hoping someone from the Chumba camp can help. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

mtbr member
    I had one back out on me 5 miles into a ride. the bolt was gone. I blue loctited nut on and been good ever since, about 6 months. Maybe try a nylock, but there may not enough clearance for that. Maybe clean the bolt with alcohol, put a glob of loctite, tighten down to specs, don't move over night, and see if that works.

Good luck
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

Flying Goat
    You know what??? Give them a call and get an instant answer... XD

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpjumper4117
    Here one I haven't heard yet.......My XCL's horstlink dropout bolt on the drive side keeps backing out. I put blue locktight on it and it did work for a short time but now is starting to back out again. Has anyone else run into this problem? I'm hoping someone from the Chumba camp can help. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    I have a two-year-old XCL frame made in the U.S. and have had the same repeat problem with two different bolts on the Horst linkage. To make matters worse, one of the bolts is behind the crank and cannot be tightened in the field unless you can remove the crank. Red Loctite worked for a while on both bolts, but eventually failed. I have since switched to blue Loctite and have had no repeat failures. It's important to clean the bolts well with rubbing alcohol before reassembling and applying red Loctite. Also, a thin star lock washer underneath the nut helps. The new XCL frames have bolts that won't back out or loosen.